One of the most ignorant articles I have seen in recent years

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by HiroBlaze, Feb 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiroBlaze

HiroBlaze Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Jump Force is one heck of a sausage fest

https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/15/18226323/jump-force-playable-female-characters

There is so much misinformation. For instance about Boa's Hancock's move sets based on the love-love devil-fruit which require in the one piece lore for individuals to be enamored with her to take effect. Some basic research skills could have prevented that. Shonen Jump Force is very self-explanatory. It's obviously catering to a male demographic.

My main issue with "game journalism" like this is that they prioritize societal themes & representation over basic game-play mechanics & optimization. It's more like political activists parading as "gamer's" at this point. Instead of having every game subscribing to that political objective, why not just create their own gaming studio that creates those diverse sets of values (hire new developers to make games for that political ideology?). Political activism like this historically tends to have massive backlash or push-back in the long term.

You don't need to "diversify" the roster every damn time. For example, the series My Little Pony is catered to young girls similar to how Shonen series are catering to young boys, but there are males that still like it despite all that without that diverse cast. They are called "Bronies" for reference. There are also girls & women who like Shonen Jump despite it being marketed mainly to young boys.

About Jump Force, I wanted them to add characters from Gintama, Toriko, Inuyasha, & Yu Yu Haskusho. Oh well maybe there will be a dlc or something. Another issue is the battle timers which feel irritatingly short even in ranked play.

Well any thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Villager Anonymous likes this.
  2. Scholar Occult Cauldron

Scholar Occult Cauldron Bonk Maestro | Ascended

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't Yusuke(Yu Yu Hakusho MC) already a playable character?

HiroBlaze likes this.
  3. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    The article, if you don't want to click on the link

Jump Force, the manga-crossover fighting game that’s out now on PlayStation 4, Windows PC, and Xbox One, is a boring game that rides on its license and not much else. But look past the perplexing character styles and monotonous, frustrating combat, and notice an even bigger issue with the game.

In Jump Force’s 40-character roster, replete with reps from Bleach, Dragon Ball, JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, and other staples, there are 37 playable male characters. Math tells us that means there are three women.

Kaguya, a villain from the end of the Naruto manga, is playable; so is the sexy temptress Boa Hancock of One Piece. Finally, there’s Rukia of Bleach — although Jump Force uses a version of her that notably does not have access to the powers that made her one of the strongest fighters earlier in the manga’s storyline.

Boa Hancock fighting in Jump Force
    Most of Boa Hancock’s abilities emphasize that, hey, she’s sexy. Spike Chunsoft/Bandai Namco Entertainment
    Three out of 40 characters means the roster is just 7.5 percent female — a grossly paltry showing for a game based on a magazine with 50 years’ worth of characters to pick from. Yes, Shonen Jump targets young boys; it’s right there in the name (“shonen” means “boy”). But there are plenty of amazing women that have graced its pages, as at least one previous Jump crossover makes plain.

Other crossover fighting games of late have suffered from homogenous rosters. Players rightly called out Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite for its male-heavy character selection; even that game has more female options to choose from than Jump Force, with five to the latter’s three. Dragon Ball FighterZ’s roster has grown since it launched last year, but updates have introduced very few women to the initial cast of bro after bro after bro — by “very few,” I mean three. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is comparatively balanced, with more than 20 female characters (including characters with male/female options) available.

Here’s how Jump Force stands among all of the above, based on its percentage of women in the full lineup:

Jump Force: 7.5 percent female fighters
    Dragon Ball FighterZ: 9.375 percent female fighters
    Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite: 13.88 percent female fighters
    Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: 16.4383 percent female fighters
    To sum that up: Jump Force finishes last in an already frustratingly weak pool.

But it’s not all horrible news in this genre. The fantastic, Japan-exclusive DS game Jump Ultimate Stars boasts nine women in its lineup of 55 fighters — not fantastic, but a higher ratio (16 percent female) than Jump Force’s. Meanwhile, the poorly received J-Stars Victory VS, which launched in 2015, only has two women out of 39 fighters to choose from, making it even more male-skewing than Jump Force. But four years later, there are several new series featuring women to pick from. And, again: Shonen Jump has existed for more than 50 years. There are definitely female options, no which way about it.

Jump Ultimate Stars serves as a good model for an at-least-slightly-more diverse Jump game roster. Its female cast represents a broader spectrum of Shonen Jump history, with gag manga Dr. Slump’s goofy mascot Arale fighting alongside One Piece’s Nami, a more traditional fighter; Sakura Haruno, a close ally of Naruto’s throughout the series, also joins the fight, right there with the sci-fi fantasy series D. Gray-man’s Lenalee Lee. They’re all memorable characters with unique move sets that complement their male companions’, not just reiterate them.

Jump Force has playable female options through its character creator, and playing as a woman of our own making, fighting among these manga heroes, is ... fine. But the biggest appeal of crossover games is taking the reins of a favorite fighter and throwing them against another favorite to see who wins. There’s none of that tension with an original character, and it’s not like there aren’t plenty of great women the team could have added to the game.

Jump Force can continue to be a boys’ club all it wants. I’m going to stick with Jump Ultimate Stars for my playable manga wish fulfillment.

Mnotia, reagents 11 and Wujigege like this.
  4. Mazino

Mazino The final chapter.

Reading List:
    Link
    to be frank politics online especially to do with gaming is muddy waters only masochists and trolls walk into. You will never win and thankfully this fucky shit stays in the western hemisphere. Of course the massive censorship of VNs by sony does not bode well for future instances but eh. At least have the classics.

5. DontLookDown

DontLookDown One with the bed

Reading List:
    Link
    You know, I made a blog post about why I hate video games.

novaes likes this.
  6. Chronos Bee

Chronos Bee Descendant of Sloth

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a reason why people dont watch/read those reviews anymore. Why do you think Let's play and youtube game commentary/game reviews exploded in recent years?

When a "game critic" can't even finish the game due to the "difficulty" they may want to take a hard look at what that word really means.

7. KTL

KTL Down horrendous

Reading List:
    Link
    Jump Force is a fun game with everything else being shitty

8. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    ...so critics now do stupid shits like talking about male vs female fighter ratio in a fighting game??? Heck, why don't they try citing Dead or Alive or even Senran Kaguya for that matter? *smh*

9. Wayang Emperor The First

Wayang Emperor The First 《The First Loli》《Cute Little Kid♡》

Reading List:
    Link
    "game journalism" man... there no hope anymore.

10. HiroBlaze

HiroBlaze Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @R0

I was half-expecting Kagura & Satsuki from Gintama, rather than Kagura from Naruto. Unless the designers want character that were the most flashy or popular. Jump Ultimate Stars is a great game, although others might not like the pixel style of the game and prefer a 3d version.

Yugi is the most surprising entry here imo. It's like pokemon trainer in smash bros.

@Chronos Bee

I have too, but I found this article on my feed somehow and later saw a video about it by Yellowflash.

@Scholar Occult Cauldron

Yes, but I definitely wanted more from that series to be here like Hiei.

11. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When do I get see Perfect Minus as a playable character, and not a support character? Never, because his Minus is too OP, but they can simply make that Minus undo 1/3rd of damage inflicted on him, yes?

12. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Polygon is a known group that is riddled with SJWs & Feminists so it's recommended to completely ignore them.

13. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    Basically I think it boils down to popularity among the target audience. There are frequently character popularity polls in manga, and there is no reason to think no market research went into this that said this was the range of characters that appealed most to their target audience.

HiroBlaze likes this.
  14. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    The reasons why female gamers don't turn on their mics are either pubescent boys hitting on them or some other guys insult them just because they're females.

Definitely not these guys on this thread. They're criticising about how the said article making a mountain out of a mole hill by complaining the lack of female characters.

I ask you this, have you seen any guys complaining the lack of male characters in:

Kancolle
    Arknights
    Destiny Child
    Most of mobile card games etc

Note that this game is adapted based on shounen mangas where most of characters are males, so it can't be help but to have male characters outnumbered female characters.

15. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    < It's 2020

< Western Journalism Majority of it are full of SHIT

How i feel about this so called "Need moar Diversity"

16. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think they want everyone to get along in harmony. If people are getting along, then they can't do low effort clickbait, which seems to be the main way they generate revenue now. Gone are the days of investigative journalism, quality and class. Just make one side of an argument angry, and if there IS no argument? Well that's what logical fallacies and lies are for!

You can always re-issue an apology a few weeks later at after everyone has already worked themselves into a fury over the lies. Rinse and repeat and you have an audience pre-programmed to get emotional over whatever crap you post, regardless of whether or not it's even true! Pass off enough strawman arguments and eventually people think they are reality. Project thoughts and opinions onto an imaginary opponent and you can build your own illusory reality.

And none of that works if we respect each other and do a little research ourselves. Gotta keep the flamewars and rage alive. If you can't tell already, I loathe polygon, kotaku and their ilk.

17. AbsoluteMeowster

AbsoluteMeowster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cool, so I respect your opinions, but I have some serious reservations about your comments:

1) Please, you do NOT need to explain to me why girls don't turn on their mikes. It's a lived experience, of which I've lived too much of, and I'd appreciate you not explaining what I've personally witnessed just by the random chance of being a girl. Ever heard of 'mansplaining'? <3

2) I do hope you know those types of games you pointed out are STILL geared towards guys by having girl cards often show their ass or boobs (maybe not all, but a majority of the cards). If you don't notice that, then I seriously don't think we have a basis where we can communicate at all.

3) While I do think that sometimes issues can be overblown, I think this article is trying to highlight a broader issue: that girls want more than one measly female character to play. I agree it doesn't make sense when the cast the game is based off of is primarily boys, but it is possible to include more than one playable female character. I don't think it's wrong to ask for that when basically guys can expect to have 50 male characters they can choose to play as and are catered to primarily in the game market. Asking for more than one female character to choose and identify with is not asking for much.

Also to the guy above who commented on 'need moar diversity': you do know one of the most successful Broadway shows ever that earned millions recasted all America's forefathers as different races right? <3 George Washington really wasn't black if you didn't know, darling. I'm not saying we need re-castings all the time, but you really do need to expand your horizons, hun. Hopefully you can watch Hamilton one day <3

I really wanted to put out my POV on this thread as one of the consumers of the market this article is talking about (or truthfully, as a girl gamer).

Anyways, I'm done. Stay safe out there everyone!

Fulminata and Wujigege like this.
  18. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Misogynists do not believe that misogyny exists that is why threads like this exist

19. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    19637.png
    some of so called game journalists imo meh, create article for sake create one~

this cat not care male or female on fighting games unless it for storyline and eye candy which these day there plenty of it~
    sure more eye candy is ok~
    while the the critique is ok but closing it by stay boy club imo ridiculous~

this cat wonder da heck happen to common gamer these day? do they smacking female x male often?

20. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Cool, I understand. Won't argue any further, but just wanna say my last piece.

I came across some discussions on reddit few months ago saying that when games like this where crossover is happening, they would prioritise the most popular characters from the series to attract fans from respective fandoms.

Go ahead and take a look at the roster, there are many series and they can only select few that are popular enough so that people will play the game.

Maybe due to their limited budget that they couldn't add more female characters even if they want to.

b6e5c185f1d0461d22d7684768be70fb.jpg jkjkjk

Wujigege likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.