Discussion Opinion thread: ISSTH (Warning: may contain spoilers if not at latest chapter)

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Parth37955, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is an opinion thread for ISSTH. I noticed that the pro-ISSTH faction is strong in NUF, but was wondering what people who don't like ISSTH feel. I sometimes feel that anti-ISSTH people get cut off, so I made this stage for anyone to express their thoughts about ISSTH, positive or negative.

Now there are only 2 rules:
    1. You cannot insult another user. Big no-no. Keep it civil or I shut you down
    2. You have to be willing to defend your position as well as understand another person's opinion. It is sort of like a debate. You can't just say, "I'm not going to reply if someone quotes me". If you put something out, have the courage to defend it.
    P.S it goes without saying...no hijacking.

2. Prometheus

Prometheus Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think anyone doesn't like ISSTH.

MysticJazzEnforcer likes this.
  3. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    there are a few. Pretty sure I've seen them here.

4. Indiboy

Indiboy Well Known boi

Reading List:
    Link
    I have committed heresy ! I haven't read issth for last 35 chapters!

5. Prometheus

Prometheus Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm that's new. I want to see why they dislike it?

6. Shance

Shance 『Trying to evade the wall in the front』『Failing』

Reading List:
    Link
    Meng hao is awe inspiring, end of story... no joking, but I rerally like ISSTH

7. moto

moto Spam Bot

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk i find it hard to hate meng hao. I can see why people would hate him because he avoids getting laid like a dense protag though. Everyone sick of that already. Probably projection it upon him?

Benk likes this.
  8. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    You sure you want to?

9. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    well, it's kind of hard to diss one of the most popular novels. I mean, who wants to deal with the crazed fans (says that guy who disses TDG and ATG often). I mean, people must have something about ISSTH they don't like (I think the romance and cheats are a problem for some people)

10. Prometheus

Prometheus Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes because there reasons will be interesting to see and how they differ from the mainstream opinion.

11. RealRobbert

RealRobbert Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I find the latest 80 to 100 chapter to be less good than before. Up to the moment he left Southern Domain I found the story to be really interesting, with clear goals and achievements. But since he entered the Black Lands and now in the Western Desert I don't really see a goal aside from getting more powerful, which in a Xianxia shouldn't be the goal, it is something that should happen because of other desires. While I still read it, I find a lot less enthousiasm and desire to read it.

So basicly, Meng Hoa doesn't have a goal in live, so it is kinda boring

thymee, Amss, Evertime and 1 other person like this.
  12. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm, well he's pissed of the Ji clan. So attaining power to survive and defeat the Ji clan seems pretty reasonable (Well, since Ji rules the heavens, it's not like Meng Hao has any other option)

13. Jaded

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay @Prometheus ....you asked for it.
    Let me make this clear, below rant is not me. Just copied it from the reviews. (Bolding it cos some people fail to read properly)
    I have read this novel to 102-103 or so. To tell the truth – this is the worst novel ever, to me at least. My journey to novel world started with mushoku tensei then TDG, ATG, MGA and i saw ISSTH also have high rank so i gave it a try. I saw genres were similar to ATG so I thought this should be good as well.
    Lets start with genres of this novel: no romance at all. MC cant love anyone bisides himself and his cultivation. You will read pointless tons of words but there will not be any romance, people say here this is slow novel but i can guess even later mc simply cant behave even 10% like in ATG (in romance way at least).
    Forget about romance – this is only my opinion so lets move on.
    Battle system: completely different from what we can see in ATG and MGA. ah, need a spoiler i guess.

Spoiler
    To put it in two words: in ATG (for example) mc raises his cultivation-becomes strong-eat pills\other small things-“upgrades himself”-fights with weapon using his own body and weapon and some energy\magic techniques. Thats ok, you cultivate and make yourself strong… but ISSTH mc cant do even that small. He rises his levels for whats sake? 1-50 chapters you could see only that cultivation levels means nothing, only precius items\weapons and all battles feels like warehouse1 versus warehouse2 -_-

Now about MC

Spoiler
    If you wonder, is there piece of shit? yes, its mc ISSTH. Why im so radical? I hope i can explain. Every person on same level as mc is stronger than him, even people who below his lvl also in some way stronger than him. why you ask? Answer lies in that “pressure” thing that radiates according to levels. I even forgot how many times MC feels and fear this pressure thing and it even make him feel incredible pain. But he himself cant properly wield this pressure and inflict pain to his enemies, very often his enemies dont give a fuck about his level\pressure and attack him. Feels like mc starts as cripple from the start and then remains cripple among normal humans. Im not even close to forget my precious time i wasted on this novel, so lets contibue.

You can say that what i wrote is wrong, mc is intelligent and strong and all of his enemies till chapter 102-103 were killed by his hands or fled away and so on and he is jewel mc, and noone from ATG and MGA, TDG and so on cant compete with him… Aaaaaand that is not quite so. I dont even know what makes people up there write good about this (japanese-like) mc being genious and shine above other novels.
    Meng Hao has no backbone and has no clear goal, and, of course, has no close person in his life. accept this fact my dear menghao lovers. I hope i can explain this too.
    Ok, he was dragged in reliance sect and when he got manual he almost abandoned his goal to be rich and was hyped to become immortal. DAMN! HE WAS ABANDONED BY HIS PARENTS! OK EVEN IF HIS UNCLE TOLD HIM THAT THY DIED – HE DIDNT EVEN ASK HOW? AND ALL WHAT ON HIS MIND WAS – TO BE RICH. FAMILY MYSTERY? 0 FUCKS WAS GIVEN. Is it me, or MC dont understant what family\close relations means? How this character supposed to make romance? Then his goal was to survive and become immortal with all of its perks (flying etc). Loner from the start will be loner till the end. When turtle with his zhao state fled – again 0 fucks was given, his goal didnt change, he didnt want to chase turtle (if you suddenly forgot – his family remains are there (uncle etc)), instead he turned around and went to nearest state to proceed in being immortal and so on. Deus ex machina happens too many times and it became so boring, that i want to puke. He dont have determination and stable and unwavering emotional background, maybe thats why we dont see any romance at the start (only female character so far (100ch) is cold as ice and dont give a fuck about meng hao, almost, give and take – isnt proper relationship – there is no romace detected) and i doubt that all sect have only one female, who can behave nice around our dear mc… Being this character from the start and then make romance happen in future im doubt this, and my point is – MC incapable to love, his background was made very poorly. I dont accept sudden jump and suddenly if he appears to have love feelings from this zero point without any experience – dont make me laugh! Logically thinking: whats the point of being immortal? if you cant share immortal and neverending happiness with the one you love. To seal the heavens? Ok you have sealed it, now what? meng hao from the start was put in this trouble of being ignorant and selfish, and alone…
    OK, forget about my speculation about mc character. Thats not only bad point.
    When he was taken by that girl to the sect, they literally “shoot up into the sky”, but qi condensation people cant fly, they can only glide -_-. Ah thats insignificant, so lets move on.
    Some of this novel events are hard to imagine, for example fighting while eating, or running while eating, or flag transforms into mist with lightning or HOW THE FUCK HUNDRED FLYING SWORDS CAN LOSE TO RANDOM SHIT? If you still dont understand my hint – try to remember and imagine main antagonist of Fate Zero and his flying warehouse of weapons being lose to some fucking finger attack? and to add to that 2 swors that can penetrate whatewer qi condensation user wields -_-.
    Ok im tired, i wasted too much time and words so say simple thing – this novel doesnt deserve 5\5 and tag “romance” as well as praises as “best mc ever”. I registered here only to express my babyrage about this novel and my wasted time on it.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    thymee, Amss, Carlson and 3 others like this.
  14. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Havent read issth for 106 chapter now.. dropped it at the neopets chapter with the tribal war. I found it bland with uninteresting development and explenations. So I just dropped it right there.. havent read it yet ever since.. it just doesnt seem apatizing anymore..
    ps. I find it really2 strange when he kept a poison seed in his body, and can walk around fine for yeears and doesnt have any symptomps or anything about it.. like it isnt even there..

thymee and Amss like this.
  15. Jaded

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest, I couldn't understand. He says that Meng Hao was weaker than people his own level cos of this pressure. What's he talking about?

16. RealRobbert

RealRobbert Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really feel the threat from the Ji clan, he killed the kid back in Southern Domain, the one who wants to gets revenge, Ji Nineteen, has been sealed and the rest isn't really doing anything, what we have seen at least. I doubt Meng Hoa is going to the Ji clan himself, just cause they attacked him once. It might happen because he goes to his parents and they have a reason or something, but i can't really see him interacting with them any other way.

17. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    Question, are you the one writing that? It's kinda difficult to read without quotations and names of people saying which is which...

I'm just saying it's kinda unclear. Like, more than one person? Use quotes? I dunno.

18. ccostin93

ccostin93 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ISSTH is one of the best novels out there.
    The story is neither face paced nor slowed paced, with lots of interesting facts getting revealed every few chapters.
    What I like the most, besides the 2ch/day, is that the story is a whole. The past is interconnected with the present. In most Xiantia the Mc gets stronger, leaves and that's that. In ISSTH, even now the state os Zhao or Souther Domain are extremely relevant.
    I also love the 'hints' the author places along the story, only to reveal them a hundred or more chapter after.

Compared with other Xiantia, ISSTH has very little to none romance, but the plots and revelations more than makeup for it. Also, I prefer this kinda story where the MC does not have a harem.

19. Jaded

Reading List:
    Link
    ....you talking about that long post right? I already said that I that it isn't mine and I just copy pasted it from the review page.

20. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    Putting quotations somewhere and "This is by 'so-and-so'" would help me know where exactly the review started. I thought it started around the second spoiler or something.