Question Opinions on Some Cultivation Novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Fossil, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fossil

Fossil 「Spooky」「Scary」「Skeleton」

Reading List:
    Link
    So I recently got caught up to ATG again (I know, mixed opinions on it.) I've been in the mood to find more, but I didn't want to go with one I've already tried before. Though, as I looked through the list of cultivation novels, I reneged on that and put in a few I stopped reading due to a lack of time.

Now, please note that I'm not turning down novels simply because of QiDian or GravityTales. I may not like what they did, but I'd still prefer to support the author than not.

So, The Great Ruler. Is it still any good? I forgot about most of what happened, with some recollection of a spirit gathering competition for the school. Is it worth the read, or am I wasting my time?

Next is Nine Star Hegemony Body Art. I've looked at this several times on WW, and every time I turned it down because I didn't think I'd like it. However, I'm curious now. The main turn off before was the mention of a conspiracy in the empire. It was a large arc? Or am I just getting scared off for no reason?

I'm also tempted to get into Renegade Immortal, and I know it'll be good, but...it's so long! Er Gen really likes long novels.

So, for my last novel, is Spirit Realm still any good? I dropped it around when he was still Qin Bing, I want to say. Should I go back to it?

Anyway, please give me your opinions!

Lurking, CosmicInsomniac and leegood like this.
  2. leegood

leegood Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    (*.*)/ *hands Super Babu cultivation booklet*

3. NoLoliNoLife

NoLoliNoLife Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So for The Great Ruler and Spirit Realm, I'm just letting them build up more chapters/taking a break. For both stories, I can't remember what made me want to take a break, but there was something I didn't enjoy. As for Renegade Immortal, I enjoy it a lot, but I'm letting chapters build up instead of taking a break. Take this information as you will.

4. Fossil

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, that's probably the reason why I stopped them too. No clue why, though, as right now I'm having nostalgic memories of Spirit Realm at the very least.

5. Prece

Prece Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I remb letting these novels stockpile more chapters then never going back to read it until now. Spirit realm was pretty good. Didn't like mc in tgr much.

Fossil likes this.
  6. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I will take this chance to use this

Matteus likes this.
  7. lightmage5

lightmage5 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Renegade immortal definitely worth the read, besides atg havent read the rest yet, and ATG makes me keep bashing my head at mcs stupidity until all my 13 generations died, yet still managing to read atg somehow.

8. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So you basically just don't like cultivation novels in general, because they're all long?

9. yamibae

yamibae Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ATG - garbage
    Spirit Realm - garbage
    Renegade Immortal - OK but the issue I have with Er Gen novels is that the romance is severely lacking to the point of non-existence
    The Great Ruler - OK novel nothing memorable for me personally that differentiates it from other novels

If you're looking for a cultivation novel I suggest - I Might Be A Fake Cultivator

10. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I know this is a bit off topic here, but what's wrong with GravityTales? I read some of their novels a while back but haven't looked into them recently. Did they do something?

Lurking likes this.
  11. eulerman

eulerman Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dropped this one later than you. I must say I ended up disliking the author type of novel. In particular two things that apply to this novel and every other novel I have seen of him.
    First, "The Eternal Junior": The MC ends up been in some school or sect learning and competing as a junior, ends up graduating or going some place else with bigger power levels and is a junior once again. Competition, learning, jealous upperclassmates, rince and repeat till almost the end of the novel.
    Second, "The secret (temporal) power up". In this novel is the alchemist grandpa, in another some fire bird. They stay with the MC and gives them cheats power to survive or solve by force a crisis. A sudden fight with an old creep, the invation of a mysterious group, whatever. Suddenly the author thinks he need to spice up things and makes a crisis that ends ups been solved by the MC when he normally shouldn't, by using the grandpa cheat.

No, this author has a thing for conspiracies, secret trades with mysterious sects or groups, and putting the MC in the middle of them. Aside from that I can't say much, I forgot most of this novel by now except that I dropped when that beast transformation art he got reached "Large Success".

RI is great. It has it up and downs and I don't like the romance in any Er Gen novel. But his novels are about those epic moments that make the read worth it. Also he tends to make his power systems with details that makes sense most of the time. Other novels, just two stages in and everything become multicolor flashes with explosions that makes cultivation and fights indistinct, senseless and boring. With Er Gen that doesn't happen. The man even puts stories that ponder about life, death and love as a way for the MC to learn about the world, himself and his comprehension for cultivation breakthroughs.

You are a brave man. That novel and Ancient strengthening technique has another trope I don't like that I call "Woman driven plot" and I'm sure you know more of it than me.

Fossil and Lurking like this.
  12. Delusion

Delusion Dark lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Among the list, only Renegade Immortal is worth reading.

The great ruler may be somewhat nice but it offers nothing new.
    Nine star is pure cliche.
    My feeling towards Spirit Realm is complicated. I liked it at first, but it slowly steered in a direction I didn't prefer.

13. Fossil

Reading List:
    Link
    Nonono, I like them. I’m asking about if I should pick up any of the ones I listed.
    Hm, I’ll check it out.
    Hahaha, it’s because they got bought out by QI, and now a lot of people hate them too.
    So basically only read RI, got it. And as bad as ATG is for that reason, it’s not a bad read. I mainly like it just because, well, it’s fun.
    Oh? SR is the one I’m most conflicted on right now, so a bit more help would be nice.

14. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know the rest, but Renegade Immortal is worth the read. It's part of the author's cosmos of other related cultivation eras/worlds.

Fossil likes this.
  15. Ushiyama Tatsuma

Ushiyama Tatsuma Devilish Judoka • Big Breeder ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    Like others have stated,Renegade immortal is the only one worth reading.As for The rest,all i can say is...Hot Garbage!

16. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    If you like xianxia you'll either love or hate ATG. No point ofc if you don't even like xianxia to read ATG and then rant about it.
    The Great Ruler is good as well is Renegade Immortal. Others I haven't read as I'm not longer into xianxia, but TGR is basically above average generic xianxia, ATG is also above average but different as girls make fun of MC as a perv, this is where a lot of hate for ATG comes. People whine about how MC acts with girls, I don't think it's a big deal, it's not obnoxious as in some other novels I hate.
    Renegade is the most unique, a bit dark though I don't see what's the problem that it's long. All xianxia are long but at least this one isn't repetitive like the generic average ones.

17. Fossil

Reading List:
    Link
    Mm, it mostly just that it’s the only one on there besides Nine Star that I haven’t even touched. The others I still have some of an impression about and I gave them a good several hundred chapters. So I’m complaining that it’ll be a long time to get to translation.

18. Wick

Wick Black van owner

Reading List:
    Link
    I only read renegade immortal from all your list, but i want recommended another novel f you seek xiaxian novel considering most of it beginning with crippled protagonist being bullied then becoming genius after getting cheat and my recommendation was daoist master of Quan xuan, fishing myriad of heaven, way of devil, pursuing immortality.

19. Fossil

Reading List:
    Link
    I saw Pursuing Immortality and liked it, but it seemed extraordinarily slow paced.

20. Clyne

Clyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try a will eternal by ergen

This novel is brilliant for me

Humor and fighting really cool

I still waiting for renegade immortal to finished translating before i start reading it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.