Request Optimal Release Schedule

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Wujigege, Oct 30, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Since I have more choice in releasing chapters I want to provide a better site for my readers. Even if it means two translators working on one novel instead of two.

• What's the minimum number of releases per week that you can stand as a reader?
    • What is considered optimal? The one that leaves you satisfied.By optimal, I mean the next best thing from daily release like every other day

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    Ramon54xg likes this.
  2. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Minimum is one for novels with 2k-5k words per week.
    Optimum is once a day.

That's usually the general formula for everyone

@Wujigege
    Slime Tensei did it well.... till Clown disappears, Lion went in good and disappears and Guro just... well whatever happens now.

Real life hits like a truck. I'm not blaming them but it did affect my experience as a reader...

Scorcher25 and Shance like this.
  3. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    You say "stand" but it's more like if the novel releases are boring and infrequent enough the updates just stop catching my attention. There are novels I'll jump on even if it's been years.

4. juniorjawz

Reading List:
    Link
    That's true. Some novels like Slime Tensei (Rimuru) already lost my interest due to the translator speed. And I liked the novel.

5. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    few chap/week

never over feed your reader...
    or whenever there is no update even with notice given, they will freak out and making a thread about it asking "WHY?"

Sky Farrow, 0000000, nazmulm and 5 others like this.
  6. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I like a novel, I generally want to sit and read it in one go. Reading a chapter today.. a chapter tomorrow.. a chapter the next day.. already leaves me dissatisfied. I don't like this wait-a-day-to-see-what-happens-next bullshit, especially in novels with single events being dragged out over 10 chapters. It's fine that the shit is dragged out, really! I like having more to read rather than less! .... but it's not fine that I have to spend a week or more slowly reading through that single event.

So, that said, I think ~100 a day or so would be pretty satisfying.

7. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess I didn't make it clear.
    By optimal I meant middle ground between the minimum and perfection(daily releases)

Ramon54xg likes this.
  8. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link
    Releasing all your unedited chapters will make me satisifed. No need to hold back 10 chapters just because they're not perfectly edited.

9. juniorjawz

Reading List:
    Link
    Author that drags an arc/story and then dragged out even more by the translator.

I feel you.

blablabla12, Westeller and Wujigege like this.
  10. palaraya

palaraya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    100chapter/day for happy reader:blob_grin::aww::aww:

Drsha, Westeller and Wujigege like this.
  11. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I was thinking.
    Minimum = 2 per week
    Optimal = 5 per week, at least let the translators get the weekend off but seriously if it takes 2 days to translate a chapter with 2 translators 5 per week is doable

ElTorroLoco, Ramon54xg and juniorjawz like this.
  12. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    I highly enjoy novels with a 10 chapter a week goal. This just lets you stay invested into the story while not losing track because... well you are always reading a good amount and advancing the plot of the novel forward at a good pace. You won't get caught a week of slow chapters because you are releasing enough to break through that lull in the story.

That being said that is the optimal for me.
    If it is a good novel i can deal with 2-3+ a week, any less than that and no matter how much i enjoy the story i am going to lose interest when there is a month with a lull in the story (4-8 chapters in the month). A week is the hard limit on that for me, but those novels i just stack up and binge at a later date.

10+ is optimal and more is always welcome.
    7+ is great and will keep me coming back everyday.
    3+ is good. Ill take it and thank any translator for that rate.
    2> is cool. I'm happy for anything but it will be easy for me to lose interest in the novel. It would have to be a truly fantastic novel to keep me as focused as it would for a novel with a higher release rate. These ones i will inevitable stall out with saving them for a time where there is enough content to binge, if i haven't completely lost interest yet.

Ill thank any translator for what they can give but there is a limit to how long someone can wait while keeping their interest.

OnigaImasuka, Bajnor, readerz and 4 others like this.
  13. juniorjawz

Reading List:
    Link
    The best translator are those who read ahead and know...

When to release more than one chapter ( with their schedule slightly affected) because the novel would have been on a cliffhanger otherwise. I give my motherfucking respect to them.

Sounds good, but don't overburden the translators...
    know the chapter length, TL difficulty/quality and Translator commitment.

readerz and Wujigege like this.
  14. asomeCokkies

asomeCokkies [Eternal Quest for Epubs]

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, he's not lying. This is 100% feasible yet not daily. There has been no single TL (yet) that has released a batch/arc of a novel in a one go. I would love to hear something like: Hey guys I have secret project, its a long novel but good. And I don't want to translate daily so here's 1-100. I translate as I read so don't expect updates until the next significant plot point.

Ramon54xg and Wujigege like this.
  15. KidBuu

KidBuu Embrace Darkness

Reading List:
    Link
    I say just make a clear schedule and stick to it. This largely has to do with the translators own speed and commitment to the project. If you can do a chapter a day and not kill yourself in the process cool but if not spread it out some. Just don't do the random drops or just leave the story for a few months. I don't know how many of you read Demon's Diary but I almost dropped that because of how random some of the chapters came out. Personally my favorite is when the translator does mon-weds-fri, so three scheduled chapters a week and than does whatever bonus chapters over the weekend.

Wujigege likes this.
  16. Invisalats

Invisalats The Bearded One

Reading List:
    Link
    Less than 3k words per chapter: 10/week
    More than 3k words per chapter: 5-7/week
    More than 7k words per chapter: 2-3/week

This is all subject to difficulty of translation as well, some novels are much more difficult to translate due to grammar levels.

Basically anything less than 3 chapters a week in my book is not worth attempting if it exceeds 300 chapters total for the novel but that is probably just me.

Bajnor likes this.
  17. VixenKiss

VixenKiss Machiavelli the Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    This scenario is far and few between. You're talking about the same mindless readers that ask a question that has been answered a post above them.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with "over feeding" your reader. CKTalon and OMA are where they are now simply because of this.
    Legend of the Great Saint garnered as much attention as it did simply because of its frequent releases (and that it's a really good novel).
    Any rational reader, which I would argue is most of us, won't go on a tamper if we were given notice.
    Now, if we weren't? Well, that's a different story.

18. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the responses.
    I will aim at minimum 3 chapters per week for my novels.
    Thanks for all the responses
    Novel 1 MWF
    Novel 2 Sun Tue Thursday
    Bonus on Saturdays
    Thanks again

Sky Farrow, Ramon54xg and Viola like this.
  19. Edonis

Edonis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Set a schedule that you can tolerate without impeding your daily life mate.....I've seen many translators burn out due to constant releases.

Set the bar low so when you have extra chapters at hand it's a blessing to the readers. If you say you'll release a ton of chapters but can't keep it up then most readers will complain about the lack of releases. Don't give people a lot but enough to sate them, or else they start demanding for something they shouldn't.

Also if you're doing a new novel try with a larger amount of releases in the beginning and state that it's to kickstart interest in the novel. That way people get the general gist of the novel and that's usually what decides if they'll keep reading. Once you feel once you feel it's enough stick to your set schedule.

Good Luck Have fun~

yuzuki and Wujigege like this.
  20. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    A couple of chapters in one day once a week. Like 3-5 depending on the size and content. If chapters are small and little cliffy cliffy is too much to bear - i would put the novel on hold till I remember about it and binge read

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.