LCD Overgeared

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by hanglekuk, Oct 16, 2017.

1. SinsI

SinsI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Except for the durability/cost issue, it's never worse.
    It is an all-around improvement: causes much heavier wounds, doesn't get stuck on ribs, easier penetrates armor, easier parries attacks...
    Because that's the kind of thing you want exceptional techinques for. No matter how good a blacksmith you have, he won't be able to make much of a difference if all you want is a gladius...

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  2. Dejebel

Dejebel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He's only leveling fas because his oponents levels are much higher than his own and leveling usually takes longer the higher you go.
    Smithing doesn't.

3. gary0044187

gary0044187 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer to treat it like faction rep, this is what gives her greater boons within her religion. We have evidence for this with the fact that her rewards are generated based off of this, and her quests are determined by it. We have no evidence that it does anything else. Prior to hearing those arguments from others I was really bothered by her quest reward as well.

especially when you consider that her SS was easier than any of the S quests we have seen so far. She is higher level than anyone that fought against her, she had high level support, her opponents were all melee while she was a mage, etc... I ranted about this on WW but apparently they don't like my opinions there, none of my responses have appeared since I ranted about something in PTO that really seemed ridiculous. .Now that I have read people argue that the Faith stat is more like rep I feel better about it.

There was a spoiler about this from earlier-
    You know his special reward he is supposed to get when he makes his 5th legendary? Well... it nerfs his ability to get stats when making items. Kek.

What this means is that with his "bad luck" he is able to keep getting the stat bonuses for lesser things longer before getting nerfed.

4. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's also probably heavier, slower, and harder to control as well so it's not like it's all positives. There's probably tons of situations where a rapier would be preferred.

Sure they will since higher skill levels automatically make the sword better and increase the chances of high tier items.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  5. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    Remember, this is a game. Even a dagger can be ridiculously powerful. And typically games balance weapons so there's not a huge difference in dps anyway (as long as they have a similar level requirement/rarity).

6. SinsI

SinsI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He is levelling fast since he is "overgeared", wearing items that require much higher level than his own.
    He also only gets the bonus once for each kind of item made (otherwise, those 100 epic arrows would've made him far more points).
    And once all the easy items have been made, new production methods would obviously take longer...

7. SinsI

SinsI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is a VR game. And those (at least in novels) try to mimic reality...

8. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope. I'm pretty sure the arrows were just considered a batch. They all count as one epic item. If he made another batch of epic arrows he'd get another bonus.

-M4- likes this.
  9. SinsI

SinsI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, may be.
    But still, it is not as broken as said above. I.e.
    So, he got 11*2 + 3*4 stats to attributes over 73*6 =436 hours, or 1 point to all attributes every 12 hours.
    So it is "2 points to all attributes" vs "13 levels, or 130 points to the important stats"...
    Frankly, this option of his class is kinda underwhelming.

10. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    This is when the MC still has a crappy hammer and a low level. What do you think will happen if every other piece he makes is at least rare? There's also the possibility of him unlocking the Luck stat which will dramatically increase his odds of successfully making high tier items. At the same time his leveling speed will slow dramatically once his level gets higher. Do you think he'll still be able to gain stats faster from leveling than from smithing once his level is in the 200s?

11. SinsI

SinsI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While +2 to all stats when you have all stats at 10 is extremely powerful, what about +2 to all stats when all your stats are at least 1000?
    Especially compared to, say, a passive skill that doubles all damage you deal?
    At higher levels, raw stats lose their value - things like skills become much more important.

12. gary0044187

Reading List:
    Link
    MC hasn't unlocked all of his class skills yet. Also considering his ability to overgear and the fact that better gear has bonus skills, it seems he will be able to make up for lack of skills with gear.

13. SinsI

SinsI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a high chance his class skills are going to be non-combat.
    As for making it up with items - so far, only weapons gave bonus skills, so he is limited to whatever weapon he has equipped...

P.S. And I've already said that it is his ability to use any item is the broken one.

P.P.S. There might be alternative ways to get bonus stats - potions, repeatable quests or some conditions like "fight monsters for X hours continiously" - that don't slow down like levelling.

gary0044187 likes this.
  14. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    +2 to all stats at 1000 is far more valuable than +10 spread out between a few stats at 1000.

At any rate what you're saying is only true to a certain extent. There's a reason levels are so important in this game. Because if your stats are vastly superior to your opponents then you can steamroll them. +2 might not matter but if that +2 builds up to you having +500 more in multiple stats than your opponent then it's very important. More so than most skills. Especially when you're talking about in the long term. There's a limit to the grade of materials and thus items he can make. There's no limit to the amount of stats he can stack.
    Potions have timers and cooldowns. Probably only worth thinking about if you're getting them from some super potion making class. I doubt any quest like that that rewards stats would be repeatable. It would also likely take more time than smithing if it did exist and only add to certain stats.
    His class quest is leading him to learn swordsmanship at this very moment.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  15. gary0044187

Reading List:
    Link
    It absolutely is a broken ability but it is the name of the story. I think the key thing to remember is that the author is trying to make the character only slightly OP not fully OP.

16. Inuzuka

Inuzuka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, the 'Failure' he made is an example, he used the high level material blue oricalcum and got a high level blueprint, the Unique~Legendary ranks were because he added a bunch of overpowered options in the description.
    If he made a fast and easy to forge item like a dagger, using low level metal and leather as the only materials, he'd get a low level dagger, but could then stack like 20 different passive bonuses on the item to the point that the stat and skill level requirements were impossible to meet, making it a Legendary rank dagger.

Reread the prologue, the MC outright ignores a raid boss that just wiped a rankers party.

17. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    lol. I highly doubt it's possible to put 20 options on a low level dagger. Heck, I doubt low level materials can even hold 20 options.

18. Inuzuka

Inuzuka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it isn't possible, his skill would tell him it isn't possible. It doesn't have to be exactly 20 options either, he could just make a really ludicrous description, like 'pierces through anything, hits 100 times in an instant, if aimed at head: high chance to blind, if aimed at legs: high chance to cripple, critical hits are more likely to happen; do x3 damage instead of x2 and cause bleeding wounds, high chance to instantly kill target regardless of level difference to wielder...' and so on.

19. SinsI

SinsI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, not the limited time ones. I.e. kill boss mob -> he drops a potion that gives +10 Strength permanently.

We have already seen (with Greed's Persistence stat) that stats can increase in other ways besides level ups. It is logical to assume other characters can increase their stats, too.

20. None

None Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Level is important in this game because of the strick requirements of gears which does not apply to the MC and those bonus stats is only normal because he is already a master blacksmith which enable him to make rare ~ legendary items easier i believe other blacksmith have the same option but they can not make rare items as often as the MC because they all start at beginner level smiths other character have ways to increase their stat just like yura her faith stat increase whenever she kill someone using her new skill the only pro the MC has is that he skip the troublesome process of grinding and directly became a master which is a pro to a legendary class