Spoiler Overlord (Completed Project) (Licensed)

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Lachiel, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Lachiel

Lachiel Paradise Lost

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright so we have a new "completed" project this month and it's overlord. It's currently caught up with the raw's and the story has been licensed in the US.

So I really enjoyed this novel, I came across it when I was searching for novels back on another forum~ and this one had pop'd up and I thought! "Oh I like these character designs it looks cool!". I wasn't disappointed in the least, I always found myself going "Finally! we can get a non-human MC!"

Anyways the pacing and the chapter length for this is pretty good..

So what's everyone's thoughts on it.
    I only hope that the released novels will be released at a decent pace~

prongsjiisan and FlowingSong like this.
  2. Nyanko

Nyanko Psychotic Cat Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    I enjoyed it quite a bit. Although there were some parts which I thought were pretty meh; the parts involving Ainz-sama were great, paticularly seeing him panic as his minions decide what his thoughts were. Hah, great. Really, Ainz-sama is truly my idol, I need to acquire minions such as his.

And I wouldn't be surprised if some nasty pirate translated the next volume too; but honestly, Overlord is in my "To Buy" list; so I'll get the light novel when it's released

3. God Of Time

God Of Time Nyanko's Loyal Minister.

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah~ on one hand I hate that I can't read it every saturday for a while on the other I'll be able to own the actual novels so that's good~
    Ainz is a cool bro...

4. Scrya

Scrya Lurking all day long~

Reading List:
    Link
    Overlord is good!
    I like how the author build up the back-story for characters in the first 3/4 of a volume, only to kill them off at the end.

Daike1234, Nyanko and canaria23 like this.
  5. Nyanko

Reading List:
    Link
    @Scrya
    It's kinda like Kuro no Maou in that regard!

6. fluffymigs

fluffymigs Balthazzar's Husband/Owner

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm kinda sad...

7. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    i like how the story sometimes focus on the other characters. to me it brings more depth of what and how the other character perceive whats happening. so far no human is as twisted as renner. love her as much as i love the other guardians and battle maids. haha

8. CDLevit

CDLevit Aspiring water; spark of cynicism; Em&es explorer.

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I don't like the story too much, but I must say that it's written in an interesting way. Still, the characters seems to be afraid to characterize Ainz or Momon, and it looks like the MC doesn't work too much, the story's set more as a description than an action and I say that because the MC isn't presented in all the chapters... He looks more secondary. The story's more like a piece of theatre than an novel? Also, the MC's not on the bright side but... That's what happens when someone imperfect gains power and he doesn't hsve principles, nor does he know the concept/them - sometimes he treats that world like a game, sometimes he seems to don't care... In the end he's just another puppet of the writer. Where are he's toughts? His real ones? Why is he so obssesed with that guild and so-called friends? Because of a game. And they've stopped playing it.. But he continues putting words/hopes on others. But, maybe those 8-9 volumes were meant to be the prologue, who knows? Also, where the cookie's the antagonist? That Tomb's like an company that's built on ,,don't betray the supreme beings" - easy as a pie. I think that Ainz will suffer, very much. For me, he deserves it... ,,life has a way to make you humble" - and I think that will happen because of his lack of perspective.. He's too confused to have power. He don't want it, but allows misconceptions and.. And he'll suffer by seeing that his vision - his guild was just an dream, his npc's will gaind individuality, there will be conflicts and there will be a time when he'll realize that he's just another fool. What will happen when he attain his dream? He'll fight or will he lose his will?
    Anyway, I've put on hold this book, I'm interested to read some articles wrote by critics on it and, maybe, in the future I'll buy it, the printed version.

9. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh. Even if I want to buy it, it would be impossible for me. Most good novels have like...12-13 volumes? Each volume costs 13$(I think) so if we convert the cost of all the volumes into my country's currency it would be around 11-12k. An average middle class person earns like 30-40k here, so spending that much cash on buying a single novel would be too extravagant for me. Biggest reason why I detest Yen Press. Maybe I'll somehow manage to get a job in USA after I complete my studies.....

BusyBee and CDLevit like this.
  10. taba1212

taba1212 Unemployed

Reading List:
    Link
    One of my favorites so far!

11. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    Really enjoyed it, one of my favourites recently and disappointed to see Yen Press strike again but I don't think that it will stop someone else doing an unofficial translation. If the releases are timely and/or of decent quality is a completely different kettle of fish but we'll see. Wouldn't have any concerns even getting something from Yen Press but they are so slow, probably won't see anything for 10 years at the rate they usually go.

Yes, it jumped around. A lot. I can only hope that it was all for setting the stage for something bigger, because if it wasn't, plenty of the material would be a complete waste. But I won't see it that way. I really thought the character designs were great, and the artwork was a nice addition too. I think the worldbuilding was fairly average but it was by no means anything bad, and it let the characters take more of the focus. End of volume 9 seems like the worst place for this to end right now because just when you feel like all the gears are about to start spinning, we're given this result. Mildly frustrating :p. Guess we just have to hope that someone else decides to do something about it when v10 is released.

12. Daike1234

Daike1234 THE GUY WHO TRANSLATE WITH THE HELP OF MACHINES

Reading List:
    Link
    so sad that we had to wait years for the translation of volume 10.

Hope someone at least translate the web novel even tho the wn is different from the ln.

13. Nyanko

Reading List:
    Link
    ^^ I heard the Web Novel was better, it had less Bad Ends

14. Lachiel

Lachiel Paradise Lost

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I felt like the bad ends gave it flavor. Something different~

I honestly think this was something that made it a cut above the other works. It made you get invested into a character somewhat, just to cut them off making you actually feel something.

FlowingSong likes this.
  15. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    the web novel doesn't have albedo

16. Nyanko

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow that different? Its kinda hard to decide then... hmmm

canaria23 likes this.
  17. Lachiel

Lachiel Paradise Lost

Reading List:
    Link
    It's always hard to compare the web novel and the published product, just due to the fact that so much changes at times, and the editing is so much in some cases. but in this case I like the light novel better due to the fact that the publishers took the risk and had more bad endings.

FlowingSong likes this.
  18. Satan

Satan Yes

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm still at volume 7

19. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    after that jump straight to 9, 8 is side story

20. Lachiel

Lachiel Paradise Lost

Reading List:
    Link
    this, but I really did enjoy 8 the sidestory's didn't feel off, they felt like they belong there to be honest.. no idea why~ they just did.

FlowingSong likes this.