Parth Rant: The problems with adding originals to NU

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Parth37955, Sep 29, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arcares

Arcares Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I'll state regardless of whether originals come on this site or not, as all the "good" novels are translated, you will be left with the "shit" novels from Asia anyways. So regardless of whether or not people think originals are shit, Nuf will have those shit novels anyways (which is already becoming noticeable). Though, once again, not saying Nuf needs to be the lister for originals, and maybe they won't accept some of those more terrible novels. But as it becomes larger, one of these issues will have to be looked at. Anyways no one rip my head off I want the best of both worlds, I want the aspiring authors to get the attention they deserve and I want NU to stay as a lister that provides me a decent directory of novels.

2. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    pretty much. We can't decide what we host or don't (well if it breaks the rules, then we can like TEO). The main point is that it would take way to much work and effort to make it practical for readers to use.

3. OverlyFriendly

OverlyFriendly I should do something about

Reading List:
    Link
    Royal Road Legend
    Don't go there bunny
    It's cancer

4. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    of course we have shit novels. There just a vastly smaller number of translated novels, so the shit is still manageable.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  5. craBebe

craBebe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not like it has to happen over night. Start with Gravity Tales, only them, GGP is obviously a trusted friend, give it a trial run to see how it goes and slowly expand from there. Just make it known that it's still in the alpha phase and you're only testing it out to see how the community adapts, if there are issues and it's starting out small scale so you can cut it off before problems occur.

6. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lol @Parth37955, it's been awhile since your last rant.

Anyways, I wasn't going to say anything or much about original novels on NU since it'll take me at least another 10-12 months to clean up NU but since I feel like a lot of people are misinformed, I should say something.

My plans:
    1. Original novels will come to NU.
    2. There will be no extra work for the current moderators.
    3. People who dislike original novels will not see it on NU. For example http://www.novelupdates.com/genre/xuanhuan/ will only show translated novels while http://www.novelupdates.com/orggenre/xuanhuan/ will show original novels. This is just an example. I will need to completely separate the two.
    Even though NUF is small, NU is huge. Why shouldn't I use NU's power to help the original authors? I see no reason for anyone to complain. Don't like original novels? You won't see it.

If anyone have any questions, feel free to ask me.

7. craBebe

craBebe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wish I could like this more.

Add in a monthly allocation of uberlikes users can only use a finite number of times.

8. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    (y) this was mostly me just being pessimistic as well trying to show people how hard it would be implement something like that as well as possible issues.

9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    you want something like aho-update? it separate ori and translated one

10. Tony

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, it'll be a bit hard but I feel like it'll be worth it. New original releases will go to http://www.novelupdates.com/originals/ (or a similar link). It shouldn't bother anyone.

Shio and craBebe like this.
  11. OverlyFriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    Good bless you speed
    And luck
    and time to rest and have fun
    And etc

12. MantouInv

MantouInv Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Im pretty sure starting a website cost money and takes alot of time so...

13. Tony

Reading List:
    Link
    it's a secret :sneaky:

neoshadow and Nom de Plume like this.
  14. Arcares

Arcares Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Though this is just my hopeful thinking. As I appreciate Tony's (Edit* I said Tony but I include everyone in that xD) hard work and creativeness and NU as a whole, I would honestly like to see NU become a site publisher (not really sure what to call it?). Though this might not be what Tony plans on doing, I think out of all NU has the best chance to be something like that. Anyways whether that's the plan or not I'm just happy to see the start of an "Original" movement that will help authors :)

15. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    somehow I feel it likely end up with make me think
    19637.png

16. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    But when is the subforum coming?

17. Diamona

Diamona [Forever Alone Psychotherapist]

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay. Just curious; is it possible for a subforum (again, my understanding of this may be wrong) to be created that doesn't pop up on the feed on the home site? It would be there for people looking for it, but not hindering normal members.

And Tony just posted.

Hey @Tony! I think Parth makes good points. If searching for novels with, say, the tag of "game elements", and you want to check between both originals and translated series --- The translated ones will be submerged by the sheer quantity of English novels. For some odd reason, I have a link on my desktop leading to % of sites according to language. English sites are around 55%, while chinese and japanese sites add up to less than 10%.
    Originals would have to be heavily regulated, since by the addition of these English based web novels, we'd have an influx of people joining NU to vie for views. It would be like setting up Wall Street for lobbyists here.

With only links to translator groups, NU maintains a good distance from the original authors. I don't think asian web novelists would join NU, so whatever we say here on the forums won't influence them one way or another. But this wouldn't hold true for English originals, since there is no language barrier impeding their encroachment.

Hosting english originals might be detrimental to the writers as well, since to a writer struggling with their own ideas, a place that makes ideas for them would be a blessing and a crutch. Imaging authors trying to pander to ideas and complaints about how their story goes. It is almost asking for hissyfits.

*Btw, the above only applies for ongoing series. Finished ones aren't going to change.

18. Tony

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, it will be completely separated. Tags, genres and everything. You can think of it as two different websites. The only feature (that I can think of at this time) that you can use for both the original novels and translated novels would be the reading list.

Anyone who doesn't like original novels will not see it, at all.

19. OverlyFriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    *inwardly celebrates*

Nom de Plume and Tony like this.
  20. Diamona

Diamona [Forever Alone Psychotherapist]

Reading List:
    Link
    Will it get its own separated forum? Again, right now, NU has a large amount of impartiality due to the distance between the authors and the members here. Introducing original novels will bring new members to the forums, and with them comes the vying for popularity. It is the attitude surrounding english originals that is cancerous, not the writing itself. Can you please explain what you mean by "not seeing [original novels] at all"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.