Question password locked pdf

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by urlocalenfer, Jun 10, 2021.

1. urlocalenfer

urlocalenfer Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    is it possible to have the password locked chapter in a pdf in the site I'm using? I will be providing the pass in the chapter itself, this is to avoid aggregator site from copying ( I disabled copying from the pdf that's why it needs a password ). I'm curious tho, is it still possible for the bots to copy if I put a password plus not allowing copying from the pdf?

2. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Bots wouldn't be able to open a password protected file like that, but a human could easily fix do it. Personally I'd just lock a zip file with the pdf.

3. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I've got an extension called "Simple Allow Copy" cause it's really annoying when sites don't let me highlight or copy text (though I do understand why they do it).

I haven't had a single time it didn't work, but I don't recall having tried it on any PDF, so IDK. But you could probably try it out yourself and see whether it works or not.

4. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    PDFs can have up to 2 passwords: one for reading and one for modifying. I don't know if the 2nd one would allow you to stop copy, but one way to protect it even more is to open it with Photoshop or GIMP and then raster all layers, turning the text into a picture. It usually makes the file heavier and it doesn't allow text reformatting, but you'd need an OCR to get the text out, ando those doesn't work perfectly (you can heighten the protection even more by using a font that obfuscates OCR identification).

5. Samprot

Samprot New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Has anyone used PDF Encrypt to add a password to PDF? I just used it to set an open password for the PDF, and it can also add a permission password to restrict editing, printing, copying and importing PDF files.