Feature Request Per-Novel RSS Feed

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by Triapod, Jan 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Triapod

Triapod Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello,

I am a big fan of the RSS feed feature offered by the reading list. However, it is a bit cumbersome to have all the novels you are reading on one feed. For instance, it may get messy if there is one novel you are piling up to read at once: you end up with several unread things on the shared feed. It's also difficult if you have a priority order when reading novels. Say, I have 50 novels updates to catch up on, and I'd like to read them from least favourite to most favourite. Then I have to look carefully through the feed each time to make sure I get them in order and don't miss one.

Therefore, I am wondering if it is possible to have a per-novel RSS fed available, allowing the tracking of individual novels.

Thank You

2. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    would it not just be easier to use the series tagging function...

Tony likes this.
  3. Triapod

Triapod Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure, for novels you deliberately pile up, you can create a list for that. Sometimes, however, you may not be in the mood for a certain novel and just don't read it, causing it to pile up. Other times, a lack of time.

I just feel having per-series RSS feed allows the user to adapt the feature to their reading habits, more easily. I personally like a folder with all my novels in an individual feed is possible. Then they don't get in each other's way for these short term circumstances. To be honest, I was quite surprises that the custom reading list is available while a per-series rss feed is not, just following normal feature complexity.

4. remy911

remy911 ┗|`o′|┛ Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you want, but isn't the novel info page itself an individual "feed"? Just clicking on any novel series, will lead you to a list with all the chapters in order... There's also the "Series Filtering" function if you want just a few novels and all their releases.

TBH, I don't really get what you're describing.

Shio likes this.
  5. Lachiel

Lachiel Paradise Lost

Reading List:
    Link
    a rss feed for a single novel I'm guessing.. iuno.. that what it sounds like.

Triapod likes this.
  6. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    upload_2016-1-1_20-55-34.png
    Step 1:Create a List
    Side Note: You can have Live Bookmarks for each list i think...
    upload_2016-1-1_20-56-1.png
    Step 2: Enable these Settings and make sure to save...
    upload_2016-1-1_20-56-28.png
    Step 3: Go to the settings from the Reading List
    upload_2016-1-1_20-57-1.png
    Step 4: Enable these settings...
    Step 5: Enjoy...

remy911 likes this.
  7. remy911

remy911 ┗|`o′|┛ Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want "individual feeds," you could try Aho-Updates.

Search for the series you want and then click the tag it pertains to.
    For example, search "Against the Gods".
    Click on the Against the Gods tag.
    Go through the whole feed.
    This only works if the translator actually uses tags consistently and accurately.

While I don't speak for Tony, I don't see it being implemented at NU when you consider NU doesn't even do public raw RSS feeds, as other sites do it better and the goal of NU is be more like MangaUpdates (from what I gather).

8. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like individual feeds as I feel like it'll be "heavy" on my server.

I created NU on a whim because MangaUpdates said they were removing web novels. No one stepped up at the time so I decided to try it out with my low web developing skills. Web developing is just a hobby btw (it's embarrassing each time I call it a hobby). Yes, I knew about aho-updates but it's not as organized as MangaUpdates which I prefer.

Anyways, you can consider the current NU as a beta version. I plan on fixing a lot of things starting with the reading list. When I'm happy with NU, I will let everyone know my goal for NU. Right now, there's too much things I want to fix and upgrade.

Thank you @remy911 for always helping out :)

And the other moderators too of course

I ninja'd edited the last line :p

Shio likes this.