[Poll] A catfish has stolen your identity

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Jan 14, 2020.

Tags:
?

What do you do upon discovering that your identity has been stolen by a catfish?

1. Attempt to friend the catfish on social media and confront him/her

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. Attempt to friend the catfish's friends on social media and confront them

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Confront your own friends IRL and attempt to discover the catfish

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. Change the privacy settings of your own social media and make public statements about the catfish

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  5. Try to contact T*nder's technical support again

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. Try to go to the police / find a lawyer

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  7. I would do nothing

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  8. I'm unsure

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  9. I do not wish to respond

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobjoy: So the poll here isn't that interesting, but I had a strange "what-if" cross my mind, so I'm sharing it anyways. Even if you think this scenario is implausible for you, play along and pretend that it makes sense

One day you were living your everyday life when your friend messages you and says:

"Hey, I didn't know you were on T*inder!"

T*inder is a popular online dating site that is used by many people in your generation. Despite the resemblance to any dating app on Earth, T*inder is in fact different from any dating site you may be familiar with on Earth because this is an alternate universe.

Incidentally, you do not actually have a T*inder account, and you were extremely surprised to hear your friend say this.

You ended up going to the T*inder website — and behold someone has stolen your identity and used your IRL photo for their T*inder profile.

+ + +

The IRL photo(s) that were stolen came from your F*cebook account. Since you have strict privacy settings, your personal photos are not visible to the entire Internet. Only your F*cebook friends have access to your photos.

This means that either one of your F*cebook friends leaked your photos, or one of your F*cebook friends has stolen your identity to catfish people on T*inder.

A google search of the T*nder catfish profile (they use a different name) reveals a fake Inst*gram account that essentially contains reposts of your photos from F*cebook. Apparently, the catfish is extremely active and prolific, and they post a lot on social media using their fake identity. For instance, they added a bunch of additional posts of food and various other typical Inst*gram things.

The catfish doesn't post anything too alarming, but they are extremely social. Furthermore, the presence of the account on T*nder suggests that they are probably online dating using your identity too.

+ + +

For privacy reasons, it is difficult for you to contact the catfish. Their private messaging setting is open only to people on their friend list, so you cannot contact them without creating your own account on T*nder and attempt to add them as a friend.

You also have no idea who the catfish is messaging on T*nder, again for privacy reasons. Consequently, you do not know who the catfish is dating.

You contacted T*nder's technical support but the response that you received is that T*nder does not authenticate the identity of its users. Therefore, they do not regulate what kind of profile pictures their users add, and in fact acting "avatars" (e.g. anime or cartoon or dog/cat profile pictures) is allowed too. They refuse to take down the catfish account or allow you to contact the catfish citing that they are protecting the privacy of their users.

Your country is behind the times with updating the law, and traditional identity theft laws do not extend to cover the Internet. It is highly unlikely anything would happen if you went to the police or a lawyer.

1. What do you do?

2. Will you actively attempt to uncover the identity of the catfish?

3. What if the catfish's online activities are mostly benign? For instance, they mostly only post pictures of food and make unremarkable posts that are extremely ordinary? Could you ever tolerate the presence of a catfish who has stolen your identity on the Internet?

4. Suppose that one of your close friends confesses to you that they did it, and they're really sorry. They beg you to allow them to keep their catfish Inst*gram and T*nder accounts, although they will change the profile picture, stop posting any more new photos, and change the privacy settings so that it's not visible to the public. They explain that they gained really precious friendships on Inst*gram/T*nder, and they don't want to confess to their online friends that actually they are a catfish. What is your response?

5. Suppose that one day your close friend contacts you (note: assume that 4 did not happen) and confesses that they are the catfish. However, there is a problem. Your close friend has a stalker problem and they felt morally obligated to tell you because you are now at risk for danger (since they've been using your photos). They are very, very, sorry. They tell you that they don't actually know the real identity of the possible stalker, other than the fact that they received a death threat and a promise to come find you/them. You can go to the police, but you don't have any specific information to offer about the potential stalker. Your friend suggests that maybe you should change your appearance... dye your hair? :sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely: What is your reaction?

imK likes this.
  2. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

Steal the catfish's identity?

3. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    Catfish in my country are raised with dirty water (they put chicken poo/fertilizer so the catfish can get growth boost)
    And i hear in the wild, catfish like to eat shit

If this catfish love to steal ID, it would be horrible

Edit: change breed into raised and few other thing

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  4. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    1. I will make a tinder account and start talking with the catfish and try to find out their identity
    2. Yes i will
    3. No i can't. It may be okay at the moment but who knows what that person will do in the future. And it's uncomfortable knowing that someone out there is acting as me
    4. It's fine, but don't use my pictures. I will have that person delete all the pictures of me that they posted. The name is okay since there are many people with the same name.
    5. I will force that friend to reveal his real identity to the stalker and confess everything. Then i will probably just let it be and live a bit cautiously. As long as that stalker doesn't get my address i think it's okay.

5. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    1. What do you do?
    I would rather do nothing but just in case, make another account and name it, real me (yes I will add real me to the name), then post my photos there and stop posting it on the other website till I see how things will play out :hmm:

Maybe :blobunsure:
    3. What if the catfish's online activities are mostly benign? For instance, they mostly only post pictures of food and make unremarkable posts that are extremely ordinary? Could you ever tolerate the presence of a catfish who has stolen your identity on the Internet?

Maybe, depending if that will have any impact or repercussions on my real life :hmm:
    4. Suppose that one of your close friends confesses to you that they did it, and they're really sorry. They beg you to allow them to keep their catfish Inst*gram and T*nder accounts, although they will change the profile picture, stop posting any more new photos, and change the privacy settings so that it's not visible to the public. They explain that they gained really precious friendships on Inst*gram/T*nder, and they don't want to confess to their online friends that actually they are a catfish. What is your response?

Seems enough since they didn't cause anything bad to me :hmm:
    5. Suppose that one day your close friend contacts you (note: assume that 4 did not happen) and confesses that they are the catfish. However, there is a problem. Your close friend has a stalker problem and they felt morally obligated to tell you because you are now at risk for danger (since they've been using your photos). They are very, very, sorry. They tell you that they don't actually know the real identity of the possible stalker, other than the fact that they received a death threat and a promise to come find you/them. You can go to the police, but you don't have any specific information to offer about the potential stalker. Your friend suggests that maybe you should change your appearance... dye your hair? :sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely: What is your reaction?

I am going to drag that 'friend' and make them change to look like me IRL while I change to look like someone else :blobowoevil:
    But it is unlikely that such will happen since I already got the another 'real me' account :blobrofl:

6. zeroknight

zeroknight [Death to All Harem Novels] [Dumb MCs' Hater]

Reading List:
    Link
    Isnt cooking it the most straightforward thing to do? There were so many delicious dishes for it out there...

7. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    I had this happen to me a couple of years ago. It wasn't a friend, but it was someone I knew irl and they were a friend of a friend.

1. What do you do?
    I tried to contact the person directly by DM'ing them. They didn't respond. I reported the fake accounts. Facebook didn't respond at first and only sent me an auto-message. My lawyer got them to take it down within 5 days. IG and Twitter both responded quickly and the accounts were taken down within 24 hours.

I did, but to no avail. It wasn't until I got the police involved via my lawyer that the catfish was exposed.

I still wouldn't tolerate it. My catfish was using my identity to reach out to other people for networking purposes. Basically they were pretending to be me promoting themselves and their business.

None of my friends would ever do this to me or each other. Like me they're not perfect, but they know the difference between right and wrong and won't ever put each other in harm's way. I would do what I did to the person who did it to me: push for a criminal conviction.

That person isn't my friend. My instant reaction is to go to the police and tell them what went down. As for the stalker, I'd let my friends know and live the same as I always do, with more attention paid to my surroundings.

I got lucky. The catfish wasn't able to do any damage since she didn't know me well enough and didn't have the skills to manipulate the people she reached out to. I have zero tolerance for theft, including identity theft. I've worked hard to build up my reputation, my connections and the opportunities I have. There is no scenario where I'd allow another person to sabotage that for me.

lychee, Snowbun and IrregularPerson like this.
  8. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello nightmare fuel. goodbye nightmare fuel.

9. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    1. What do you do?
    Contact a lawer.

I'd probably go ahead and doxx them normally, just send them an email or message complaining about them using my photos, and include a link to record their ip adress for me when they click on it.

I'd be more concerned about the person hosting my images. I'd probably see about copywriting them so I can get my pictures taken down. Rather, I think I can get them taken down anyway with current copyright law. My lawer will know what to do in any case.
    I don't really care what they want. Once they've done this, they've stopped being a convinient friend for me, so I dont really have anything to say to them other than to simply stop impersonating me. Even if they're only doing benign things for now, it can really screw with my reputation if they messed up even once.

This is pretty much the reason I wasn't going to let them off for using my picture. As for my reaction, I'm excited to get down to gold farming. A stalker is probably the easiest person to bait into revealing themselves, since all you have to do is bait them with false, but juicy information about yourself so they access a website that records their IP, and installs some spyware on their computer or phone if they aren't careful. I can also bait them out into the open by broadcasting my location while arming myself for a fight, and there's no outcome greater than finally getting to kill someone in justified self defense. I'll talk to a lawer first though to be on the safe side.

10. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    tech people are so scary.

this is why i dont wanna get in internet fight with tech people. i lose everytime

AMissingLinguist and UnGrave like this.
  11. IrregularPerson

IrregularPerson Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i thought you were talking about the catfish fish

12. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobspearpeek::blobspearpeek::blobspearpeek::blobspearpeek::blobspearpeek::blobspearpeek::blobspearpeek::blobspearpeek::blobspearpeek::blobspearpeek:

UnGrave likes this.
  13. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Being a dog person, it should have been a dogfish!

14. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    On the plausibility side of things, apparently it's done in real life too.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2015/07/faking-it-scammers-tricks-steal-your-heart-and-money
    Not everyone using online dating sites is looking for love. Scammers create fake online profiles using photos of other people — even stolen pictures of real military personnel. They profess their love quickly. And they tug at your heartstrings with made-up stories about how they need money — for emergencies, hospital bills, or travel. Why all of the tricks? They’re looking to steal your money.

So I absolutely wouldn't believe the "close friend who did it" because there's just no legitimate reason for doing so.

https://www.tinderseduction.com/tinder-profile-setup/profile-setup/
    And some douchebag sites that tell you how to do it ... by creating other fake accounts.
    Gotta give this guy props for his copywriting :facepalm:

There’s no doubt that Tinder is the best way to get a date, hookup and find love online.

But how would you feel if Tinder posted something to your Facebook account which meant that your friends, family and workmates all found out you were using the Tinder app?

Would you feel embarrassed?
    Worried that they’d make fun of you?
    Or angry?

It would make sense you’d feel that way.

Because I’m sure you’ll agree with me when I say that even though Tinder is mainstream, you’d prefer that there was no way your friends on Facebook could accidentally find out that you’re using a dating app.

And you’d prefer that there was no chance of random strangers being able to stalk your personal Facebook account.

This actually makes me curious (@lychee poll if not done already).
    How many alt social accounts do nuffians have, and why?
    Are alt accounts used to:
    - troll (harass others, etc),
    - be a perv (Ashley Madison, the 99% of internet ppl who claim they are female but are really male :LOL:, etc),
    - or to avoid harassment (on prev accts)?

If not, why have alts? Am blocking out monetary reasons (financial scams) here.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    imK and AMissingLinguist like this.
  15. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Two things:

The person has to look like you irl or at least be able to fake it. Otherwise, how would they date anyone?

Also, if you make them change to look like you irl, there's always the option for self-cest (y)

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  16. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh hey that's an interesting question.