[Poll] How much is your fertility worth to you?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Nov 16, 2017.

Tags:
?

What is your asking price?

1. Less than $100

4 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. $100 - $1000

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  3. $1,000 - $5,000

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  4. $5,000 - $10,000

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  5. $10,000 - $25,000

3 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. $25,000 - $50,000

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  7. $50,000 - $100,000

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. $100,000 - $250,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. $250,000 - $500,000

4 vote(s)
    4.8%
  10. $500,000 - $1,000,000

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  11. $1 million - $2 million

4 vote(s)
    4.8%
  12. $2 million - $5 million

3 vote(s)
    3.6%
  13. $5 million - $10 million

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  14. $10 million - $25 million

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  15. $25 million - $50 million

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  16. $50 million - $100 million

4 vote(s)
    4.8%
  17. Over $100 million

13 vote(s)
    15.7%
  18. I'd never undergo this procedure no matter how much you pay me

29 vote(s)
    34.9%
  1. Ak0w

Ak0w Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not just a bad apple I'm the worst apple. So I think this researcher will pay me as much as needed to get me out of the barrel. Be that 100m or 100b

2. Ignus

Ignus Philosopher of Flames

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't this straight out of Ted Turners handbook? The media mogul who is in charge of brainwashing?

3. Hevveh

Hevveh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a person who believes in making the morally correct decision, I would naturally trade my fertility for at most a 100,000 to 1,000,000 price. But of course, It’d be impossible for a person of such caliber like me to have faulty genes, in fact, people would probably want me to not trade my fertility for any amount of money, seeing that my genes would likely largely forward the human race.

4. OldManGu

OldManGu Legendary Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would need at least 10 million. I could let me and my family live a good life for that price. I could repay my parents and no longer be trash in everybody's eyes.

5. static7s

static7s [Lightning Origin Slime][Void Prince][Zappy Doom]

Reading List:
    Link
    I am amused. I ask to see some legal paperwork authorizing and guaranteeing all of this before I make any sort of decision. I don't want to do something that will get me in trouble with the law, or find myself unknowingly missing several organs after the procedure.

6. LOTRfreak101

LOTRfreak101 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    honestly, I have no idea how much i would want to ask for. I would pretty much want enough to buy as much anime, manga, light novels as I want, but other than that I don't really care. it would be nice if I could also have money to buy a house for myself and my collection, but it wouldn't be necessary. at this point in my life I would rather just adopt a kid of about 10 yo cause i pretty much hate kids any younger than that. so it would be only super benefits for me, and for society since there are already too many kids in orphanages. basically if I wasn't being greedy my bottom line would be in the 50-100k range and for an upper limit i wouldn't ever consider being able to receive more than 5 million.

7. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    The procedure is strictly limited to a vasectomy (for men) and tubal ligation (for women). In real life, reversal of either procedure could hypothetically be attempted later down the line, but re-gaining fertility is not guaranteed.

In either case, this researcher doesn't want you ever having kids. So in other words, if the government ever finds evidence that (A) you attempted to get the procedure reversed, or (B) you somehow ended up getting kids genetically proven to be yours, they will come after you with severe penalties. As for what the penalty is -- whatever is necessary to deter you from doing it. I guess there's some gray area (e.g. the medical procedure didn't work), but in that case, it's not your fault and your surgeon's fault. :blob_grin::blob_grin: I think in the gray area cases, the government would expect to reclaim all the money they gave you because you didn't do it intentionally, but ended up with kids anyways. IDK, sensible things?

In other words, in the contract you are signing, you are promising never to have kids and never reverse the procedure. Intentional violation is a big no-no with big penalties. Unintentional violation consists of losing the money you were granted.

8. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say no unless I know exactly what the procedure is. It's great it's safe and quick but I don't exactly trust (or like) doctors so yeah maybe just no because it's medical procedure related lol >.<"

And for the portion for making future humans for palatable...I don't quite understand what that means or why that is is necessary for evolution..Or why must people experiment to make a 'better' human army? (or an edible human jk )

However the idea of not having babies doesn't bother me as I have siblings so they can still have kids if I can't to keep the family blood going lol. And if I thinking getting money in the millions would be well worth it...
    But i guess this is like a great way to prevent unexpected pregnancy so you can go do it and not have to worry about it happening:sushi_hide:

9. igiveup

igiveup a good boy

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't need sperm n shit 2 make babies nowadays, and moreso as technology improves.

I'd take as much as I can get, then move too another country.

Then either fix the problem directly, or when I wana make babies use 1 of those alternative methods.

10. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    What's kind of interesting is that it's actually possible to do an economic analysis (and arrive at a "ballpark number" the government researcher would be willing to pay.

In order for it to make economic sense for the researcher to offer this deal to you, your medical condition must cost more to the government than the amount you are able to generate in a lifetime of tax revenue.

An example of a medical condition that may fit this criteria is Huntington's disease, which is an autosomal dominant inherited disorder that involves progressive cognitive and mental decline as you get older. The disease usually onsets between 30 and 50 years of age (the estimated age of onset can actually be calculated based on genetics). When the disease starts, you won't be able to hold a job, so you won't be producing tax income for the government.

Furthermore, it costs the government money to take care of a Huntington's patient (assuming we live in a society where health care costs are fully paid by the government). If you estimate the annual cost to be $10k to $40k, and a 20 year life expectancy after diagnosis... that's $400,000 then subtract their tax revenue they've made by age 30. Assuming median salary and taxes and 10 years of work (that's $75,000 in tax revenue to government), that comes out as a lifetime $300,000 loss to the government for everyone person born with Huntington's disease with this particular disease course.

So how much should the government offer to this person (who hypothetically carries this gene?).

Since the disease is autosomal dominant, 50% of this person's children will have the disease. Then, using their demographics, we calculate the number of children they're likely to have (e.g. 1.3 for argument's sake), and estimate how much we could pay for their sterilization for it to be worth it, that comes out to $195,000 to break even.

As a government researcher, I wouldn't accept an offer from this particular person of more than $150,000 or so (but ideally as little as possible), depending on how confident I am with my predictions. However, with big data getting bigger and bigger, the predictions are getting better so......

11. static7s

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, but where is the legal documentation proving that the government has certified and approved of all of this?

12. static7s

Reading List:
    Link
    On a side note, I've linked this thread to a friend who's majoring in economics, and told them to show this to some of their professors. Interested to see what comes of that :blobpopcorn:

iampsyx and lychee like this.
  13. 99 others

99 others Sleep is for the weak.

Reading List:
    Link
    Now.. because ya all still too young, you don't want your own little spawns.. later in life you want babies so bad.. you spend lots of cash just for endless TTC bills, and appeasing your wife from her depression lol

lychee likes this.
  14. Danare

Danare Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I'd probably scout out on what's their budget limit and how much they're willing to pay before being exasperated with my counter-offers. Then I'd take whatever the price it's is offered. Of course, it'd be nice if I got 100+ million... : )

Fertility doesn't mean much to me. I'm not interested in women after all, so if I can get good dosh out of it, why not?

15. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobsmilehappyeyes::blobsmilehappyeyes::blobsmilehappyeyes:

:blobicecreamlove: Cool! Tbh I doubt it would actually work, but to me it's kind of interesting to see what kind of value people assign to their own potential to have kids. As I expected, it varies a lot. For some people, it's priceless, while for others, they'd give it away for not as much.

So true!

Which is exactly why the government researcher is preying on young 20-year-old nuffians who mostly haven't dated and don't value having children very much!

Strike when the market is cheap!!!

iampsyx and 99 others like this.
  16. static7s

Reading List:
    Link
    We've got a loophole to exploit here folks! CHARGE~!:blobhero:

17. static7s

Reading List:
    Link
    Oi oi oi... You don't have to remind us! :blobsalt:

lychee likes this.
  18. Danare

Danare Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not loophole, it's just me using the information at hand and keeping some information to myself cleverly! It's called clever thinking.. yes. Definitely not loophole. :whistle:

19. NewbArtist

NewbArtist *Blubg

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhh... Did you just indirectly tell me that I have 'bad genes' and traits.
    Scientist: ...
    (Very offended by the offer)

iampsyx, SilverFeather and lychee like this.
  20. static7s

Reading List:
    Link
    YES! Someone else caught it! I was waiting for this!