[Poll] Would you go to the hospital?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Nov 14, 2019.

Tags:
?

At what chance of a life-threatening illness would you go to the hospital?

1. 100% - I’m basically dying right now so I’ll go

13 vote(s)
    15.5%
  2. 99% - I’m nearly dying

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. 95% - 19 out of 20 chance to die

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 90% - 9 out of 10 chance to die

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. 75% - 3 out of 4 chance to die

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. 66% - 2 out of 3 chance to die

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  7. 50% - Coin flip chance to die

11 vote(s)
    13.1%
  8. 33% - 1 out of 3 chance to die

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  9. 25% - 1 out of 4 chance to die

8 vote(s)
    9.5%
  10. 10% - 1 out of 10 chance to die

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  11. 5% - 1 out of 20 chance to die

12 vote(s)
    14.3%
  12. 1% - Pretty sure I’m not going to die

12 vote(s)
    14.3%
  13. 0% - I’m totally healthy! But I’ll go to the hospital...

7 vote(s)
    8.3%
  14. I’m unsure

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  15. I do not wish to answer

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  16. I wouldn’t go to the hospital

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. arashi-chan12

arashi-chan12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ...can we dupe the system? Go in for like, a severe cut and get the other thing diagnosed while I'm there lol

That way, there's 100% something wrong so they can't charge me

JK, i can't stand pain so I wouldn't ever do that

If it doesn't hurt, feel super wrong or it's something I can cope with, I won't go to the hospital. One time I think I sprained my toe while in bed (toe caught on something and pulled too hard) and I couldn't walk for like a week lol

But I didn't go, so idk if it was actually a sprain. Another time I woke up with my back hurting for some reason and tho it didn't hurt as much as my foot, I could tell it was something internal so I went to a clinic even tho I didn't have health insurance. Turns out it could've led to or been something worse so it was well worth the $400 I spent for it. I can't treat my own organs but I can wait for my body to fix itself if I can bear it.

2. Predator

Predator Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i would first self diagnose using credible sources and if it gets worse i would go to the hospital

3. Nyanko

Nyanko Psychotic Cat Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey I randomly faint all the time. It's due to low blood pressure though. Not something I would go to the hospital over. Maybe see a general practitioner in a day or two if I am still feeling bad

4. NamGi

NamGi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bold of you to assume I even want to live in the first place.

5. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd just wait to see my regular doctor (not that I have one right now, probably should do something about that). I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, etc.

Also am poor with student loans.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  6. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh. I stopped fainting like years ago.:blobsmilehappyeyes:

Um. Except for when im on day three no sleep but thats different.

Anyways. I wouldnt go, fainting is nothing, not a cause for concern. I would however, go eat something. Thats usually the cure.:blob_grin:

7. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Speaking as an American who called the advice nurse just the other day, was told to call 911 because I had one sign that could point to heart attack, and had the nurse try to pressure me into calling (not out of concern but out of obligation to avoid possibly being sued later for not insisting), but still said "No", promised to get a family member to drive me instead, hung up and went to sleep and to work the next day like normal.. I agree, the question is too real.
    I've seen bills for ambulances. $2000 just for that. And for what? To go to the doctor and get scolded for coming in without a stab wound and told you're imagining all your symptoms, walk away with a bill for nothing gained, and die of that heart attack they said was all in your head a few hours later*? *(One of my uncles died just like that.)
    Might as well not go and hope I live, and at least enjoy the last hours of my life in comfort at home if I'm going to die either way.
    Plus I did full on faint and get picked up by an ambulance once and was also told that it was nothing. Luckily I had good insurance at that time. So my chance of getting told the same thing again would be really high. I don't want debt.
    And if I point at the watch percentage when I go, they'll say "don't look at those things. How dare you even look at technology instead of only talking to and believing us?!" That sort of thing. I understand they don't want misinformation, but they go way over the top with it. We live in a world that has internet ok? Wouldn't it be weirder if we don't use it? Especially when it always feels like I have to prove my own symptoms when talking to the doctor.
    I went to an appointment with a new doctor last year because there was a bad flu going around and the news was recommending people get checked even if it was just a cold, because how quickly it was killing people (example: patient A only lightly sick at 10am, but dead at 11pm), and I was seriously shocked at the doctor believing me right away about what I said I was feeling, that's how bad the previous doctors were about it. I even remember my mother telling me when I was a kid that being honest is good, but you can't be honest at the doctor's office, you have to exaggerate everything or they'd never take any real action to treat it.

TL;DR:
    My chance of going is low.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  8. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer not to go the hospital even @lychee or @Ai chan offered me an Enzo Ferrari car.

9. landy5277

landy5277 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly rarely go to the hospital anyways so it doesn't really bother me. I have an unnaturally good immune system. It's always surprising since I have a really good insurance plan from work. I work in a big company and they take good care of their employees which I am really grateful for. (My company uses Taylor Benefit as their insurer. If you want to find out more check them out here: taylorbenefitsinsurance.com) My plan in general includes benefits like dental and other things that usual plans don't really have. I kind of feel like it's a waste on me since I hardly ever have the sniffles but you know how they say, better be safe then sorry

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  10. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link

1. Do you prefer to take risks or play it safe?
    Play it safe. I won't go to the doctor if I've got flu symptoms unless it persists pasts 5 days or the symptoms get worse.

2. Are you good at taking care of your own health?
    Yes. When I was younger I was terrible at it. I exercised a lot and ate well, but I didn't drink enough water or sleep enough. When I turned 21 I felt like an adult and thought I should live properly the way a good adult would. It's an investment in myself.

3. How much of your income (before taxes) are you willing to dedicate to health insurance? Note: if you have government health insurance, estimate how much of your tax goes to that.
    Whatever it costs to keep me alive. We have free/cheap healthcare in New Zealand and you don't need health insurance. It won't last. Too many people abuse the system, particularly people with money who can afford to pay, but don't want to. Our population has grown too rapidly to sustain it. I have private health insurance. 6k NZD per year gets me unlimited treatment and the option to have procedures/surgeries performed overseas with no extra charge. It's worth it.

I would go to my local GP immediately if the smart watch got to a 25% chance of a life-threatening illness. I would go directly to the hospital if the smart watch got to a 50% chance of a life-threatening illness. Even if I didn't have anything wrong with me I'd rather be in debt than risk dying from something I could have prevented.

11. Ruyue

Ruyue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would go to the hospital. If the test results turn out negative, I would sue the SmartWatch Company for their dysfunctional product.

imK likes this.