[Poll] Would you rather be gay or poor?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Nov 4, 2019.

Tags:
?

What income would your parents have to earn to entice you to be born homosexual?

1. I’m male - Never, I choose heterosexual birth with a single mom 50% under the poverty line

27 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. I’m male - Homosexual with parents at 50% below poverty line

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  3. I’m male - Homosexual with parents at poverty line

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I’m male - Homosexual with parents at 2X above poverty line

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I’m male - Homosexual with parents at 5X above poverty line

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. I’m male - Homosexual with parents at 10X above poverty line

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. I’m male - Homosexual with parents at 100X above poverty line

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  8. I’m male - Homosexual with parents at 1000X above poverty line

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. I’m male - Homosexual with parents at 10,000X above poverty line

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I’m male - Homosexual with parents at 100,000X above poverty line

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. I’m male - Homosexual with parents at 1,000,000X above poverty line

8 vote(s)
    13.3%
  12. I’m female - Never, I choose heterosexual birth with a single mom 50% under the poverty line

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  13. I’m female - Homosexual with parents at 50% below poverty line

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. I’m female - Homosexual with parents at poverty line

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. I’m female - Homosexual with parents at 2X above poverty line

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  16. I’m female - Homosexual with parents at 5X above poverty line

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  17. I’m female - Homosexual with parents at 10X above poverty line

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. I’m female - Homosexual with parents at 100X above poverty line

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  19. I’m female - Homosexual with parents at 1000X above poverty line

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  20. I’m female - Homosexual with parents at 10,000X above poverty line

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  21. I’m female - Homosexual with parents at 100,000X above poverty line

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. I’m female - Homosexual with parents at 1,000,000X above poverty line

3 vote(s)
    5.0%
  23. I am currently homosexual, so this poll does not apply to me

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  24. I’m unsure

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  25. I do not wish to answer

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    I have nothing against homosexual people, but going against your nature for money feels like whoring out.

otaku31 likes this.
  2. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, my friend, I would strongly say that you are wrong. Being homosexual is the result of genes, and a bunch of them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/29/science/gay-gene-sex.html

No such thing as "life made me gay". As there is no such thing as "cure for being gay". And if you think about experiences, situations, parents, friends, why there aren't a "recipe to converting someone to be gay"?

You won't fall in love with someone of the same sex if you aren't born that way. You won't fall in love with someone of the other sex if you are born a non-homosexual.

Now a question. If you engage in homosexual sex acts for money, you are homosexual or you are only prostituting?

I think feeling atraction and falling in love with someone of the same sex makes you gay. Doing sexual acts, whatever they are, won't make you gay or hetero. Unless you do it for love...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2019
  3. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    So I’m curious here — there’s a lot of isekai where the MC changes significantly.

For instance the goblin isekai, transformed into a man-eating dragon, and almost all varieties of genderbender.

Are they only okay because it’s written nonconsensually in nature?

4. Shadowhawkstar

Shadowhawkstar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just have a really related question, why is it that a person such as myself who disagrees with the idea of homosexuality , yet does not find myself disgusted or afraid(I merely disagree and respect other people's opinions) labeled as a "homophobe"? I feel as if this phrasing and labeling is unfair. Also ps I'm not trying to get political or anything but merely curious .

Green Apple and lychee like this.
  5. I Ship anything cute

I Ship anything cute [Chaos Twin :3] [Melo fanclub member]

Reading List:
    Link
    As much as I'd LOVE to just romance the girls for even just a penny above the poverty line I'd rather be super rich, stock up on money in a private bank start and own a successful business and THEN tell the family, if they reject me I sweep up my love and travel the world while my assistants and friends run my business for me, of course I will always be observing but this way I will have no responsibilities and woo many women to my side, I will grab the straight and bend them with my perfectly styled hair and make up as well as a perfect wardrobe.

6. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    Change "homosexuality" to "being left-handed" and ask yourself if it's ok to disagree with the idea of people having the left hand as the dominant one. It's not a matter of opinion. They are that way, and rejecting what they are is rejecting them.

You cannot support left-handed people and at the same time hate people having the left side as dominant. It's bizarre.

Anra7777 and lychee like this.
  7. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    So among LGBT communities, the most classic example is the parent who claims they aren’t a homophobe, and they say they respect other people for homosexuality, but as soon as their own child comes out — they freak out.

...And this happens surprisingly often.

Actually, my parents reacted according to this trope when my little brother came out to them.

I think there’s a complicated piece of homophobia that sits subconsciously underneath a lot of people without realizing it. Like — maybe people aren’t bothered by it at a distance — but when it’s shoved up close, a lot of people become insecure.

I definitely have my own versions of homophobia, and probably have for a long time — even though I self-identify as a SJW.

Recognizing/Identifying subconscious processes and thinking very carefully about whether we do (or do not) have subconscious biases is a very common feature of current progressive movements.

8. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    Prostituting.

Those are physical changes which can lead to a change in mentality of the MC. But it is up to an author whether he wants to explore the theme of MC adapting and changing (or not changing) to a new state.

Because homosexuality is exploited politically.

otaku31 likes this.
  9. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    I would argue that, like most things, who you are is determined by a combination of nature and nurture. You and your sexuality generally aren't determined precisely at birth as far as I'm aware of the science.

10. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd wager a ton of people like myself didn't vote because a) exhausting amounts of choices, and b) the feeling of it being a stupid concept.

So you found a whopping 24 guys uncomfortable with sexuality and/or who felt weird selling said sexuality for a better life and/or who refused to be ashamed of being a heterosexual raised in a poor single mother household.

Often people saying "I wish I was born in a rich family" don't truly mean it. Because it's a slap in the face of your poor but amazing parents. Now if your family sucked and you were poor, it's more likely to just want it reset, but in the many cases i it wasn't, it's a horrendous insult to your mother to throw all her effort and love back in her face and say you wish you were born elsewhere.

So you have a ton of specific results many of which have no real point, and one result that shoes in several very different viewpoints into one. Adding in that two of those views carry no inherent prejudice against homosexuals, but instead are only from pride in their self. Pointless poll is pointless.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  11. Shadowhawkstar

Reading List:
    Link
    But iin what way am I rejecting , if I literally don't care what they do , I just personally disagree . Like if I don't agree with you about a certain issue other than this, in what way am I rejecting you for having a different opinion? I literally just have a different viewpoint on an issue . Hence my criticism of the word choice phobia meaning irrational fear , I neither fear nor despise honosexuals, hell some of my friends are homosexual . Why is it that I'm being labeled in a certain term where I on a personal level disagree with a certain idea. That's why I said it's unfair labeling

12. Shadowhawkstar

Reading List:
    Link
    Also being shoved up close for any idea is uncomfortable, I'm religious and hearing some people when they preach my religion with their up in your face approach makes me turned off . So it's not some unique concept for just homosexuality .

otaku31 likes this.
  13. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course it’s not unique to homosexuality — there are many things with stigma.

I think the point that @ElefantVerd was trying to make was that homosexuality is a state of being — similar to being left handed — not an idea or a way of presentation (and certainly not impressionable or “contagious”).

For instance, being heterochromatic (having eyes of different colors naturally) is a state of being, or an autoimmune skin condition known as vitiligo (patches of albino skin) — yet some people in some cultures will negatively recoil upon seeing it. This is stigma.

When we consider things that don’t have stigma (e.g. two girls holding hands) and compare it with things that do have stigma (e.g. two boys holding hands), there’s a lot of unpacking to do with regards to the subconscious reasons why we feel that stigma for some things but not others.

ElefantVerd likes this.
  14. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, their own children aren't other people. :blobexpressionless: Most people don't care about the wellbeing of a stranger, so they won't care whether other people are homosexual or not. :blobpopcorn: In a way, people labelled as homophobes like Pastor Martin Ssempa actually care more about the wellbeing of homosexuals than non-homophobes. :hmm: Ironic, isn't it? :blobsmirk:

otaku31 likes this.
  15. Shadowhawkstar

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not referring to stigma, I'm referring to people over exposing an idea or feeling to the point that you get sick/ turned off. *shrug*

otaku31 likes this.
  16. susanty.smile

susanty.smile [Insomniac]

Reading List:
    Link
    1. At what income would you choose to be born homosexual, if any?
    i could change with only 5x above poverty line tbh

2. Do you think you would be a different person in a significant way if you were born homosexual? If yes, in what ways?

i guess...? i think i am bisexual so the only diff would i just don't see opposite sex as sexual partner anymore...not much change in that with my current situation tbh

17. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    I didnt read past here in the thread

But they say that those who have low income are happier than those with high income. Being happy with what they have instead of unhappy and greedy for what they dont have, I think? Dunno.

Im bisexual so... whatever?

18. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry if the poll bothered you a lot :blobpensive:

I did a few more polls along the extension of this theme, and the general impression that I got so far is that Nuffians would take a medication that suppressed their sexuality/libido (vs. an alternate medication that lacks the side effect), and that Nuffians would be happy with a transformation that exaggerated their sexuality/libido.

Of course, the wording of the polls are not the same — and I wish that I could have done this one differently — but I do think there is some degree of genuine resistance people have against having their subconscious sexuality changed for isekai/reincarnation, although the same feelings aren’t held for enhancement or suppression.

As for number of respondents to this poll — it is actually greater than average (compared to most of my other polls).

At some point I think I might do a purely economic poll too — to determine what kind of income level they would ideally want their parents to be if it was possible to cherry-pick the isekai/reincarnation setting.

The null hypothesis I had coming in was that if the sexuality was truly irrelevant, then the poll would become a purely economic poll in nature.

I mean the obvious conclusion is that it isn’t irrelevant (for most people) — whether that is attributable to attachment towards their identity or other reasons.

I’m unsure if that’s genuinely true or a romanticization of poverty.

I work in a hospital and all I can say is that there are a lot of very sad cases when poverty leads to health issues, or people need to choose between paying for medical costs or their heating oil.

I won’t pretend to know what it is like, but I don’t envy the dark places where people can get.

To me, they’re sort of the same?

If you get sick/turned off at something, then by definition you implicitly have a stigma against it.

I mean, consider the term Trypophobia (fear of small holes). The term doesn’t mean that the person hates honeycomb or small little ant holes in the ground. Rather, they have a strong gut reaction against it and don’t want to be anywhere near it.

This is a bit of a slippery slope.

If I exchanged the scenario from homosexuality to another subject — suppose racism — and we have a parent who says they aren’t racist but freaks out as soon as they find out their child is dating someone of that other race....

What is this?

I mean it is prejudice, of course — which is one definition for racism.

The underlying assumption that another person (race/gender/sexuality) is lesser or inherently bad or any variation upon the above is by definition racism.

EDIT: Religion isn’t touched upon here, but it gets messy, doesn’t it? When religion conflicts directly, or is used to justify discrimination. I’m not really prepared to debate this, tbh :blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2: The case of parent-child is a special one, because they may not share the same religion, and even a husband-wife may not necessarily share the same religion. When the beliefs/religion aren’t shared, isn’t it imposing, instead?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  19. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    For those who called the OP homophobic, you either have no idea what you're saying or misunderstand your sentence.

How is deciding their own sexuality be considered hating against the other? It's like asking a straight man if he's okay about getting a dick stabbed into his ass. Of course, he would say no, and it would not make him homophobic.

20. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm? I don't actually care enough to debate whether those parents are homophobes or not. I'm just pointing out the rationale behind their thinking. Why they are perfectly fine with other people being homosexuals but become alarmed when their own children declare their homosexuality.

Nyann, lychee and otaku31 like this.