programming (am lazy...) (wiki, youtube or guides wanted)

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by branislavs369, Jul 18, 2017.

1. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I'd personally recommend Python because it forces you to indent somewhat correctly, and doesn't have that many pitfalls "features" (e.g. double equals vs triple equals, var, undefined, weird behavior, etc).

But I mostly agree with the "immediate results" part.

Everything would be easier if everyone just used the standard spellings and units... (*cough* USA *cough*)

2. branislavs369

branislavs369 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you very much. That was really helpful.

3. GloomUnderNight

GloomUnderNight "DOMO HAJIMEMASHITE. I am STRING CUTTER" ©

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, yes one more thing. If you study any language you must code, code, code and code. Just reading some material is not enough. You saw some example? - Code it, change it, modify it. Saw some random exercise/task? - code it. Coding is the best thing that leads you to understanding the language. BUT again, if you dont know the basics, it will turn out into complete waste of your time.

4. nuubman

nuubman Russia greatest love machine !

Reading List:
    Link
    Python!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  5. noisypixy

Reading List:
    Link
    Disagree.

As much as I love C, you can perfectly learn programming starting from a very high level and go down as needed. Heck, you can even start with Bethesda's shitty modding language and go from there to C++ plugins for Skyrim.

The important part is the mindset. You don't need to know how a variable type is laid out in memory to make a character move in a game, for example. The low level stuff is only important when you start worrying about performance.

Of course you should learn low-level stuff eventually, and functional programming, and anything that forces you to be out of your comfort zone, because every new point of view, every new bit of knowledge, even if not directly related to programming, will make you a better programmer.

I'm just saying it's not strictly mandatory to learn all that stuff upfront.

This is, of course, my subjective opinion.

6. Doomr

Doomr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate to be the one to say this, but maybe it's not for you. I had to learn it the hard way after spending an entire year struggling in java, I figured out I did not like to program at all. I was miserable and failing university because of it. But I was able to find what I really enjoyed and I'm having a much better time in Japanese literature now.

7. GloomUnderNight

Reading List:
    Link
    You are right, you can start learning something high-level and slowly go down, but topic starter clearly said that he wants programming to be his career and not just game-making hobby, so I gave him list of things which are essential if you want to get a good job (at least in my country), as well as the order, which in my opinion is best for understanding all the stuff.

1. Math and basics.
    2. OOP
    3. Algorithms and data structures.

These things are essential. In my country, even if you not very good at particular language, you still can get a junior job if you know that stuff.

8. Fierbras

Fierbras Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Would something like this game help?
    Perhaps it can help you practice with something simplified during some downtime at a cost of $9.99 USD.

9. heads-or-tails

heads-or-tails Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The programming train in youtube incredibly simple tutorials

10. branislavs369

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think you understood what i meant... programming is really fun to me and is based on the type of human i am really a good fit for me. I speak 4 languages and am searching for another one i can learn and i constantly get told to be a translator or to study in that direction but i don't want to. Yes i am talented in languages BUT from the 4 i speak i only use English and Slovak on a regular basis and i am getting worse and worse at the other 2 because i am not using or learning them anymore. I got so good at them that i felt i am going to hit the ceiling soon and that's not something i want because the moment i hit it i am going to search for something new. That's just how i am and i don't think i will have this problem in programming because the industry is moving forward every day and i don't think and hope that i will ever be able to catch up to it.

11. noisypixy

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh. I'd like to live in your country then >_>

Where I live (not going to say where) they just ask you to make a silly TODO app over the weekend and you're in.

(You don't want to see the code I have to deal with on a daily basis.)

12. maharaya

maharaya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lazy? - cut, copy & paste... init?

13. noisypixy

Reading List:
    Link
    Hohoh, you'll have fun with front-end programming then.

You have to use one framework or another depending on the day of the week.

14. GloomUnderNight

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol I'm sorry for you. If we dont follow Clean Code like a bible or dont use CamelCase we get spanked hard. Like REALLY hard :unsure:

noisypixy likes this.
  15. bartsimpsons

bartsimpsons Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude I had the same exact problem. I'm too lazy! You know what I did? I just watch Youtube tutorials about programming while playing games. So I had a window of my game on my left and a youtube window on my right

16. nyuu1224

nyuu1224 Heaven's Grip System Engineer

Reading List:
    Link
    Your doing it the wrong way man I tell you. WHAT YOU NEED IS A GOAL IN MIND.

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO MAKE?

A simple phonebook?
    A list of note program?
    Or even a budget system.

If you have a goal then you can slowly but surely practice programming because you will have to for the things you currently need e.g. how make buttons and how to instantiate them instead of what are buttons and what are instance variables. dude those definition might help you but for the moment you need something VISUAL where you can see that you are progressing. And that will motivate you. Trust me, got all my programming subjects a 3.0 I don't know the equivalent grade in abc cuz we use numbers being 3.0 as the paasing grade.
    I finished my capstone with my buddy mobile developer and I did the web and backend for our system. Trust me. That was my first time coding FOR REAL. because PUSH have come to SHOVE so I really need to take that first step. And so I did. And when you started it you'll realise that programming is not a torture. But an ART.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  17. branislavs369

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not sure what you want to tell me but i think you want to tell me to get a programming job while i don't know anything and the misery, guilt and sense of danger will forge me into a programmer ?

18. nyuu1224

nyuu1224 Heaven's Grip System Engineer

Reading List:
    Link
    "I'm telling you to get someone to pay you for making them a website"
    Don't take that literally.
    It means having a goal because programming is something you do if you are building something. You don't program because your teacher wants you to make the sum of a and b and let it run on a console. Come on man if you're in your early years in Computer Science Department then you need to think about shifting early on. Programming is all about persistence and patience because you do trial and error. If you got zero knowledge then get started. What language do you want?

19. novel_ADDICT

novel_ADDICT Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My advice, check out edx for phyton courses. It will definitely sort you out as the courses are easy to follow, they're at your pase, they include questions, examples and tasks to test your knowledge and most importantly for free.
    You can also be certified by top universities like Harvard and MIT etc.
    You pay for the certificate though.

qwertzuiop likes this.
  20. qwertzuiop

qwertzuiop Well-Known Member (not really, lol)

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm currently learning how to code in C and Python as well and I would recommend online courses on https://www.edx.org/ . After you signed up you can audit several courses about programming in different (programming) languages. You could start with cs50x if you are interested in C (though later lectures also include Python, javaScript, SQL and HTTP(though that's not really a programming language)). It also gives you an overview on how computers work in general.

Edit: here's the syllabus in case you are interested, there is no deadline for any project
    I would also recommend Introduction to Computer Science and Programming using Python but you won't be able to enroll right now (I believe) because the course already started a few weeks ago.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017