Resolved Projects for Editing and Proofreading

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Afrozz 199, Oct 21, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Afrozz 199

Afrozz 199 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, I'm a fluent English speaker and student of English literature.

As a hobby, I want to help the writers and translators here by editing or proofreading their works, free of charge. It will help me in gaining experience too.

So, any writer, translator or translating site, reach out if you need any fluent English speaker also good in grammar, punctuation, and obsessed with books. Feel free to ask questions.

Femme Fatale likes this.
  2. HealingMoon

HealingMoon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You should search up "recruiting proofreaders"

3. Afrozz 199

Afrozz 199 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I did. But there were no recent recruiting posts about editing and proofreding.

4. HealingMoon

HealingMoon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesn't technically have to be recent. As long as the tread is not marked as resolved, you can still ask and see if they are still hiring.

Afrozz 199 likes this.
  5. ddadain

ddadain Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    -_-

Edit:

Hello, I'm a fluent English speaker and is currently taking English Literature.

I'd like to offer my services to the translators here by editing or proofreading their works, free of charge. I'm doing this mainly to gain experience and as a hobby.

So, if any translators or translating sites, who would like to take on a fluent English speaker, good in grammar, punctuation, and is also obsessed with novels, please hit me up.

Feel free to ask questions.

Hrmm...
    1.) Novelupdates don't have any "writers". Go to Scribblehub for those. They only allow translated works from Asia-based writers here. This is context you should have known before posting. Your inclusion of "writers" in your first spiel reveals your inattentiveness to details.
    2.) Assumed context: major in college. Names of college majors should be capitalized. There are a lot of resources available explaining the rules for capitalization.
    3.) Clearly, you need to practice how to sell yourself. Since you're looking for someone to "hire" you, although for free, don't start with "As a hobby"... Do you think hobbyist are reliable or is a plus in any context?
    4.) PLEASE proofread your own sentences before posting. Your 3rd paragraph is especially abysmal.

So, any writer, translator or translating site, reach out if you need any fluent English speaker also good in grammar, punctuation, and obsessed with books. Feel free to ask questions.
    * any writers, translators, or translation sites
    * So, xxx, reach out if you need (Bad form)
    * any fluent... (Bad usage. Remember you're trying to set yourself apart...)
    * fluent English speaker also good in... ("fluent" should already be enough to summarize your purported skill level... adding "also good in..." just reveals how truly "fluent" you really are. Generally, simple sentence structuring is best.)
    *Feel free... should be the ending sentence and put in a different paragraph.

Sorry, I'm a bit harsh with my critics... Honestly, reading literature and language and editing proficiency are two very different things... An astute attention to detail is indispensable, The unfortunate truth about the general state of novel translation is that many "translators" are simply using machine translations with a few minor editing... -_- Try searching for an MTL site and testing yourself against some of the outputs they put out to get a general idea of the "quality" you'll be seeing most often. I'm not saying that it's always like this, but most good translators have been scooped up already or have left the scene entirely ~_~ There's a reason people pay editors too (lol).

Afrozz 199 likes this.
  6. Afrozz 199

Afrozz 199 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for your helpful suggetions.
    I'm not a professional in this field, thus don't have any skill in "selling myself". Which is why I'm offering my assistance free of charge.
    I was not even sure if this was the right place to post about this considering my zero experience, just hoped for some suggetions and tips.
    Again, thank you for your encouragement.

7. Purelove

Purelove Pure Love Translations

Reading List:
    Link
    sent you a message~

Afrozz 199 likes this.