QI contract

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by abc123, May 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jin Mori

Jin Mori Absentee MC

Reading List:
    Link
    The authors don't make the big money, Qidian does.

2. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't understand, what exactly is wrong with paraphrasing? Paraphrasing is a translation technique that allows the readers to understand the meaning the author is trying to convey with greater clarity. It's superior to metaphrasing and imitation. If you use metaphrasing, I doubt readers would even understand what you're translating. On the other hand, imitation would probably receive severe backlash from readers. Could you share what novel you're translating? I would like to know which technique you're using that is superior to paraphrasing.

Which chats are those on? Discord? QQ? Care to share which conversation and date/time that amazes you?

No, I haven't read any Novelsaga translations. However, the majority of complaints are stemming from Novelsaga, correct?

3. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    More or less yeah.

4. rexzshadow

rexzshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not to the extent of changing the author's meaning. There is a great distinction between I know what the material say and I know how to phrase it in English compared to I know what the material say but I don't really know how to phrase it in english so I'll do my best to make something up that fits. A lot of QI translation fall into the second category. And for obvious reason not going to post private chats -.-

5. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    Then that's not paraphrasing. That's more like imitation. Paraphrasing retains the meaning.

NovaCi likes this.
  6. NovaCi

NovaCi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    TIL paraphrasing. Ty for the info. never knew that. yes my English blows.

7. rexzshadow

Reading List:
    Link
    Bad wording on my part there then. Ya Imitation, kinda like how the doulou dalu manhwa is a imitation of the novel XD Ok some of them aren't that bad lol. Thinking of the doulou dalu manhwa makes me depressed, its what got me into reading chinese ln but arg is the manhwa bad.

8. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    Cheers. (y)

Oh god, don't remind me. The manhwa was the same reason why I started reading web novels around two years ago as well. When I read until the latest chapter of the manhwa, I couldn't resist reading the web novel. That's when I realize the manhwa was basically shit and a total waste of time. (n) They cut out so many parts and I was even wondering why the plot was so confusing. :cry: Plus, there were so many details that explained a lot of things that were not included. :mad:

9. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahhh, but the problem isn't that, but the fact they went back on their words, and suddenly request removal for oh so many novels from wuxiaworld...

Please tell me, if a lazy yet greedy person (Qidian ) offered a new idea, let it's coworkers do everything and then suddenly demanded all credit just cause he proposed the idea.
    That's basic feeling I'm getting from them.
    Negotiations have succeeded with others, so why not with Qidian?
    Greediness? I honestly don't know, but in any case it isn't viewer friendly.
    And there are a lot of sketchy facts besides the slave contract with Qidian, like their spy-reasing novels app, and the other contracts Qidian has..

10. rexzshadow

Reading List:
    Link
    I read the manhwa before it turned to shit like really early. So I moved to LN and was like similar and then slowly watched as the manhwa killing the story. I always say the manhwa was like someone drawing it after hearing someone talk about the LN once but couldn't remember it that well so instead of checking the LN just made shit up.

11. d1cookie

d1cookie Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Expect to earn. Expect will be able to earn "lots".

This is like those pyramid scheme phrases selling bad over-priced products saying, "yea, you totally can make $100k per year if you sell 1,000 of these. So expect to earn lots depending on your effort of hustling people." Problem is, you have to pay for the item itself to store it, and then in 99.99% of the cases, there's a TON of unsold product there left to gain dust.

Problem is, no one's going to buy it. But back to the quote of them saying that they expect translators to earn tens of thousands of dollars monthly. US dollar or Zimbabwe dollar? This is just more fluff from them to try to get you interested.

Please realize, aside from the unethical contract, for you translators and editors who are willing to work for such a low price, realize they can make you edit the same chapter again and again for no additional cost (so you'll be spending up to extra hours of time for NO MONEY, and you can't complain about it).

You're better off working as an actual employee somewhere than be taken advantage of as a contract worker. Or at least as a contract worker elsewhere where you can actually speak up to injustice.

zentetsuken and salieri like this.
  12. EienMugetsuTensho

EienMugetsuTensho [Avid Reader] [C#, C++, Python Programmer]

Reading List:
    Link
    China is always going to protect its citizens a lot more than other countries would in business situations dealing with foreigners. You need a Chinese ID to be a seller on the Chinese Amazon market as a 3rd party seller.

13. AeonicI

AeonicI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    boycotting QI!

Indiboy likes this.
  14. tiduse

tiduse Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    are people actually surprised?

15. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    some yes~ me not really~
    it's all depend on each person knowledge and experience~

16. Spiritsong

Spiritsong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Actually, I have not stated this in my post, come to think of it. I'm merely stating that the thread was derailed.

17. Gitami

Gitami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Qidian acting like arrogant young master. Proof that xianxia stories are shit when the publishers don't read the stories they put out and learn from them. Or it's so great Qidian do read them and think they are the arrogant MC who shit and rape everyone and the victims are wrong for resisting them and deserve whatever shit they throw on the victim like lies and lawsuits, also feed their middle age chunni syndrome.

I am desperate enough to join them before the details of this came out, thanks. I'll back off and figure out some other job.

18. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    it matter of POV and state of mind hmm maybe emotion cuz it can play big role when try interpreting something~

19. Dexter

Dexter Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese slave contract not applicable in western world NOT LIKE THIS

20. GoldenBull

GoldenBull New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What really stuck to me is how translators have no rights to the work they have translated. Meaning they have no incentive to actually create a quality product. Also editors are paid literal chump change, $7 at most per chapter is not nearly enough to make any sort of living if they do quality edits.
    Qidan has had it's slave contract revealed. Let's see what they do now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.