QI Poaching CCG

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Cepheno, Oct 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Lawsuit are expensive to file, but you can recover the fees if you win. (as long as there is money, hence why unless its a big brand, they avoid lawsuits, because even if you win you won't get anything).

DMCA though is ridiculously easy to pull off. It is one of the worst copyright laws there is. The problem stems from the verification process (non-existent). Aka, you don't need any proof or verification to initiate a DMCA. And since hosting companies don't want to be liable, a simple DMCA can easily shut down a website for a good while (because the hosting company doesn't check or even knows how to check, or may not even care to check).

Hence media companies have used DMCA to not only "protect their copyright" but also to bully self publishers by DMCAing sites which host their content.

Yes, people believe that laws work based on their feelings... its not an uncommon thing. If anything, laws are more illogical than people. (Because they are made due to faulty compromises, filled with earmarks and made by people who sometimes just want to showboat without even understanding. And lets not talk about archic laws or those laws that were lobbied in)

Astaroth, Slayerwolfx2 and Wujigege like this.
  2. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha maybe feelings will let readers forget MEMORIZE 52, if Big Life 87 turns out well but I digress. Even if Qidian lose the first guess many forget that it is highly probable they would appeal until WW runs out of money to cover legal costs.
    Not worth it in my opinion.
    Cheers!

3. KnightN00

KnightN00 A single dog cultivator of LNMTL sect

Reading List:
    Link
    How about using qiduai 1.3? it's better than nothing.

4. GodBrandy

GodBrandy ❮Evil Shitposter❯

Reading List:
    Link
    People are overreacting as usual, he already knew that qidian wanted the novel and he kept being uncooperative till the last minute wanting to monopolize it. I guess it was time to appeal to other sad haters :hmm:

5. ShenHua

ShenHua Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I am completely ignorant about this whole Qidian and rights to translate and all that because I never paid much attention (and really can't be bothered to) but if you want to talk about poaching translations, I was just made aware of another site that literally copies and pastes other's translated works from their own sites. No kidding. They copied everything including the TL's notes and whatnots.

6. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Poaching? :hmm: Is this a joke? :blobexpressionless: He doesn't even have the rights to translate CCG. :facepalm:

ThunderGod likes this.
  7. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is called aggregation or rehosting.
    Qidian does that too to an extent.

8. thornyflower

thornyflower Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Saying the laws are wrong is dangerous. The laws aren't wrong they are rightfully protecting the author and publisher's work. Translating is never against the law, but making money from translating someone else work without his authorization is and IT SHOULD BE AGAINST THE LAW.

We should hate qidian not because what they do is morally wrong, but because the way they got into it is a danger for the community. Most of us looked forward to their website before they began to make bad and shortsighted choices.

The only morally wrong things they did are copy pasting translations from WW (stealing) and the many unfair hidden clauses they put in their contracts (such as the one they claim to have to publish WW translations, or the fact translators require a different contract for patreon at GT).

Translator in the meanwhile do some morally wrong things aswell not only steal from the authors (which i wouldn't complain about since i think the author actually gains more than he loses from a fun translation), but they avoid most taxes by calling the payment they receive 'donations'. Paying 40$ for a chapter is not a donation.

All the things i stated as morally wrong are either against the law or avoid the law with some kind of loophole (clauses/donations).

The law might not be perfect, but it is close and in our case it works almost perfectly aswell.
    Most problems arise when enforcing it, which is often hard, much more so here, with many different countryes involved, many different laws, aswell as citizens from all over the world.

asriu and Astaroth like this.
  9. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    It amused me how many readers tried to apply US copyright law on QI and the likes.
    From what I know, WW operates under Hongkong SAR Law. QI parent company operates under China Law. QI is operating under whatever tax haven island law it operates. None of them, operates under US Law.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't DMCA is US Law? Unless WW, QI, and the other operates a server/service in US. They can't do nary a shit......

Isn't the DMCA law only applies outside of the US if:
    1. you're a US citizen (hosting "offshore" if you're American might prevent your offshore website from being taken down but it won't prevent the copyright holder from suing you)
    2. US owned businesses, including their hosting locations and data centers outside the US, are subject to the law and have to honor DMCA complaints.

asriu and mrttao like this.
  10. NiQuinn

NiQuinn 『Optimistic Pragmatist』

Reading List:
    Link
    Sadly, it's not the first time they've done this so...meh~

11. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    When Wuxiaworld was DMCA'd by QI they had to move the servers out of the US to avoid at least 10 days of downtime. So I'm assuming that at least the wuxiaworld.com website used to be a US domain.

12. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    DMCA isn't just a U.S. thing. There are forms of it in other countries. It really comes down to enforcing copyright protection online, and that kind of thing is universal. No matter what country you live in - even china - it's a breach of your rights to have your work stolen and posted online, lol. So it might not be called a "DMCA," but there are takedown procedures everywhere.

Most people say DMCA because that's what they're familiar with or because they don't know anything about the procedures elsewhere, but they aren't wrong in understanding that the process exists pretty much everywhere.

13. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, so the DMCA was just a "simile"...... I see......
    But I always see the readers tried to justify their position with US copyright laws, which won't necessarily apply to China corporations that didn't deal in services on US soil (QI is a Cayman Island corporation?). After all, China's copyright law might have a different interpretation than the US Law.

14. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's actually better for everyone if U.S. law doesn't apply. To be frank, I love to go around saying that a translation is recognized as an independently protected work under international treaty - and it is! A translation has its own copyright. Even if it was published illegally, the copyright holder of the original work doesn't have the right to take and use it as their own without the translator's permission! .. but in the U.S., there are local laws that might make that a lot more of a grey area. I think we might have a rather old law that actually strips that copyright protection if the translation was created without the author's permission, because in the U.S. it wasn't recognized as an independant work at that time. The letter of the law is actually more along the lines of "it's not provided to" than "it can't have," though, so the international treaty might fill in the gap by providing the copyright protection the law doesn't provide, but doesn't disallow.

Could go either way?

So yeah. Miiiiiight be better that it's not U.S. .. who knows. I'm not a lawyer.

Wuxiaworld clearly thinks they have a case, though, even in a chinese court... and they probably do. It wouldn't be the first time Qidian was sued for breach of contract or copyright violation. They've actually made a bit of a habit of it, haven't they?

asriu likes this.
  15. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, you are pro slavery, the execution of rape victims for their infidelity, the torture of heretics, the execution of homosexuals, and certain people being higher tier citizens with extra rights?

What is dangerous is this moronic notion that the law is always right. It is only through questioning laws that any progress can be made on social issues
    Who exactly is this meant to be a reply to? you are not quoting anyone and you are blathering nonsense unrelated to arguments actually made.
    in short, you are strawmanning
    The reason DMCA is mentioned is because WW used to host on USA servers until QI used DMCA takedown on them
    Agreed, DMCA is one of the dumbest laws ever created

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  16. thornyflower

Reading List:
    Link
    Criticizing laws is dangerous because 1 person point of view often is not enough to see the whole picture, for example no complains about the obvious tax evasion happening in most novels and few have problems with their coscience or with their moral about it, but when you think about it they are stealing money from all the other citizens, without taxes in some countryes you would be able to earn double what you actually earn, but taxes are there for paying police, or streets or schools or hospitals. If people started to follow their moral belif instead of the law things could turn bad quite fast.
    If your countryes have laws you don't approve of you should try to change those laws, many laws need to be changed or updated every year so it's rather normal. I of course had in mind modern Europe or the USA not Ancient Rome or the most unlawful of African countryes.

17. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you seriously not see how those two statements contradict?
    How can you work towards changing laws if criticizing laws is forbidden?

Do you not understand what the word criticize means?
    You definitely don't understand what the word "because" means.

18. thornyflower

Reading List:
    Link
    Here people stated laws often go against morals, that way of critizing is dangerous because it means a lack of respect to law and might lead to people going against it.
    Saying "the law concerning ----- introduced in 1997 isn't working as it should and should be changed because people now need to..." isn't the same in my honest opinion and is not dangerous in any way.

19. Shii

Shii Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Guys, I don't mean to butt in but, can we please avoid thread necromancy by diverting the main topic?

Stay in line, only discussing laws that support the topic isn't whole in itself if you don't include the main topic.

P.S. I just got my :blobpopcorn:, please continue hating. Lemme bask the ray of hate you guys' released.

20. GodBrandy

GodBrandy ❮Evil Shitposter❯

Reading List:
    Link
    This title is misleading, QI didn't poach anything in the end :blobowoevil_horns:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.