News Qidian's Announcement

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Qidian, May 23, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NovaCi

NovaCi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wasnt using communism like that though I was use how its impossible to have perfect communism in a country (where everyone is paid the same) like how its impossible for Ren game plan to keep all the novels free for ever. I am mainly talking about how I think if that is the plan it will not work and we will have to pay wall or turn into a E bookstore.

Soooo I was not comparing capitalist unless that means he is keeping novels free forever? (edit: after the crowd fun me donations ofc) not sure I dunno government systems that well and I was not using it that way either. just comparing what I think is two impossible systems.

TheOnlyRavenbrand likes this.
  2. darklore

darklore Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm laughing right now cause QQ is spouting bs claims and the fact the even Chinese readers hate them and have been pirating their stuff because of the pay wall

3. TheOnlyRavenbrand

TheOnlyRavenbrand Death Knight - WW Supporter

Reading List:
    Link
    It isn't hard to speculate when that is their exact business model. It doesn't take that much of a leap of logic to do that..actually it doesn't require a leap at all. Secondly, the word of QI has dropped, substantially, with their unprofessional post and their statements concerning a party that is a licensee of novels from the company that they work for.

I agree it would either give them an advantage or it could hurt their dealings with Qidian.. I remain a bit positive though.

That is all.

4. TheOnlyRavenbrand

TheOnlyRavenbrand Death Knight - WW Supporter

Reading List:
    Link
    Not railing against you at all.. I'm just correcting the perception some people have about who is the Communist and who is the capitalist as people have then confused. If communism is absolute control and capitalism is absolute freedom.. Then it stems to say that RWX is more capitalistic than Qidian is and he puts his translations and hosts others for the public to view (in fact.. QI is trying to build their start in English markets by copying fan translation sites.. Poorly I might add too.)

Free viewing and exchange of ideas = Capitalistic
    Control over everything = Communistic.

It's really not impossible to keep the novels free. It's grooming the right people to keep them free. Also.. Because they are in such a lose form (at the moment) the option to make them into a quality book to sell is not off the table.

NovaCi likes this.
  5. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If Qidian implemented the same way as WuxiaWorld (patreon, not paywall) there would be no problems with the community, they have many better novels, once WW just translate their novels will have to translate 17k or zhonghen novels .. So Qidian will be of the firsts

6. VixenKiss

VixenKiss Machiavelli the Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    Um no, I was replying to you. Do you want me to make those words bigger? Perhaps your comprehension isn't the only thing that needs work.
    It literally says your name in the quote I quoted.
    [​IMG]
    ^See your name? : )

And I can say the same thing about WW, do you think Ren would have voluntarily set up a partnership with QI if he knew they were going to get screwed by them later? No.
    Your superficial insights are quite remarkable.

Clonetrooper11 likes this.
  7. NovaCi

NovaCi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ty for the post. I know your point clearer now with this post.
    Its impossible in this case because I said these perfect systems would need reasonable people. WXW wants one thing but Qidian is like any greedy business we know they aiming for the thing that has the potential for most profits which is to either paywall or sell the books on it own or both.

TheOnlyRavenbrand likes this.
  8. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you trolling me? You quoted a completely different post and now you're using this one?

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Its Michael

Its Michael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @ongoingwhy there is huge difference in developing your own standing in international market when in the same time cooperating with one of the pillars of our community vs coming here and start lying since day one and then trying to throw own weight around. On the other hand both Zonghen and 17k don't have status quo in China so I highly doubt they would try tactics which have been proved to bring such a huge backslash and setback for Qidian. To be honest it's a huge chance for Zonghen and 17k now. If they can build up good relation with wuxiaworld and our community there are only profits to be made. On the other hand if they would try to do the same as Qidian not only they don't know if it would be profitable for them they even can start to notice loses on Chinese market - don't forget many people from western countries are buying their novels or just simply supporting them. Why would they even try to risk anything when Qidian is a proof you can't pee on this community and claim it's a rain?

To be honest even the most stupid PR officer wouldn't think of acting like Qidian. There is a huge chance to develop yourself in western countries but to do so you need both community and readers which will want to pay for your novels. From pure business point of view as long as there is partnership involved both community and companies would be happy.

The key in making yourself a huge and good brand in west aren't money. Readers aren't stock you can buy. Right approach and decisions is what will make you great - and Qidian actions lack both aspects.

The reason why Qidian done such a stupid move is because they have both status quo in China so they are used to get their way and because they have been thinking it would work and highly skilled translators will join them. Never in their dreams they would expect such backslash.

As you like to mention other possibilities I would mention one as well. From pure business point of view it's just pure stupidity for the best translators to join any company like Qidian. Before you ask why - it's a simple math. When working for someone you have set amount of chapters per week (obviously you won't get paid amounts like $60-$80 per chapter and even if offer will reach $60 per chapter it wouldn't bring you the same revenue as working as freelancer). First you need to know on what basis Patreon is working. If you sign a contract with company they have rights to your work - correct? So it would be nearly impossible to post chapters in advance for Patreon sponsors - it wouldn't work if company want to make a profit because what point there is in buying subscription/pay per chapter on company site when you can pay translator and receive them in advance? Thus when translator is joining company he should expect drop in Patreon donations by 50-90% in a long run. Second thing is - when translator is translating for company it's guaranteed they won't drop the novel (unless company will order them to do so - so the best titles won't be in any danger at all) so it again mean less people will donate. Let be honest when we are talking about donations most of them are done because someone want to have an access to novel a lot faster, some want to make sure translator won't move to another, more lucrative project and the rest want to support translator. So there isn't any logic to donate money to someone who is already doing it as a job and receive salary from multi-milion company. Your donation won't have any impact on community - right now donations are working so well because those people are doing what they love for us, for community - not for salary. You don't need to believe me - actions speak louder than words - how many people are thinking to donate something for police officers, government official, journalists, doctors, reporters etc - you are using their services, correct? They are doing a lot for our community as well so why they don't receive donations from you? It's mentality of our society - "if someone is getting paid by company for doing his work why should I donate my money? Nobody is donating any money to me". To verify my claims even further - do anyone donate any money to official company translators of anime? Do you even know the names of people working on it? In the long run such translators will become drop of water in ocean of company translators.

The beauty of our community lies in being created by fans for fans. I'm not saying making money from it is wrong or anything, but making it only for money will destroy you - it's like having one song on your phone/iPod and listening it all the time. After a while you would have enough of it. Translators as for now have huge freedom - contracts like this one from Qidian is taking away all freedom you had. How many months will need to pass for you to start hating doing it as a job? Most of people are doing it as a hobby and are working/learning or anything else in their free time. If there is an urgent matter in their private lives they can stop translating or translate a lot slower. When working for company you need to do your work no matter what. If you think Qidian approach towards translators won't change to being a lot harsher than now you just need to look at situation with wuxiaworld - they didn't get their way so they done so stupid thing it's unbelievable. What standing will have translator if such argument will occur between him and Qidian?

I'm looking at this situation as a business owner by myself and believe me - Qidian approach is an example how not to do for any future dealings with our community and translators.

10. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    You forgot about Apple. Apple is doing something that is far dumber than what Qidian did.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/19/...ore-cut-china-wechat-tipping-in-app-purchases

However, there wasn't my point though. I wasn't saying that Qidian isn't wrong, I am pointing out the hypocrisy of the users here.

11. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    Glory to chairman Mao, death to capitalism.

12. kursys

kursys animeweedlord420

Reading List:
    Link
    holy fuck guys, i'm impressed with these walls of text, far too lazy to read it all though i'm sure you all make interesting points

Luk2048 likes this.
  13. Logicsol

Logicsol Proud owner of a Toyota Lernlaw

Reading List:
    Link
    What free alternative?

WW would only host novels it licensed, or was preparing to license, while WN would host any other QI content that doesn't have an exclusive contract like WW does.

WW not having a paywal has zero effect on WN having one, because, and this is key, They would host different content.

14. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    You keep contradicting yourself with every attempt at crowd control. Just issue a formal apology to Wuxiaworld and let them keep doing what they're doing.

15. Its Michael

Its Michael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @ongoingwhy - the main point in Apple case is a lot different than Qidian approach. Apple is already operating on international market so I can understand them reaching for those tips solely on grounds of equality - app developers from western countries are paying 30 percent revenue cut as it state in contract so why should Chinese developers bypass it especially when both Western and Chinese developers agreed to the very same contract between them and Apple? Using tips is like bypassing their agreement with Apple - as far as I know in this situation Chinese developers are like Qidian - going back on their own agreement. Just because there are culture differences it doesn't mean your signed contract isn't valid. It's like authors of novels trying to work behind Qidian back and get some revenue without sharing it with Qidian despite having a valid and signed contract.

You need to notice users here doesn't care as much about DMCA in near future but they care about Qidian balant lies and approach. How they are trying to destroy our community - since they appeared on nuf all they said are lies.

Me and almost all users don't dispute about those 11 novels wuxiaworld doesn't had authorization for. Now Qidian not only is going back on their agreement with wuxiaworld and backstabbing them by demanding those 20 novels with authorization but they are backstabbing users as well.

What did they said since beginning and what did they done? Their actions speaks a lot louder than words.

As I state above - situation with Apple is a lot different and because of signed agreement Chinese developers are wrong - not Apple.

16. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    It's free from the consumer's point of view.

17. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    You're misunderstanding the situation. This doesn't just affect Chinese developers. Writers, bloggers, and ordinary users are affected as well. Apple wants a cut of every single transaction made via the tipping function, which is highly utilized in China. That's why there's a huge backlash. If only Chinese developers are being affected, do you think anyone would care?

18. Demontank

Demontank Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now when you tell a translator they can post on both qidian and their personal site, you shouldn't be able to claim complete ownership of the translations they make after. Someone get a mod to make an archive copy of qidians two threads so ww can shove them in their face in the future.

19. gorlax

gorlax Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hypo what damm its thosen matter we reader(donator/leacer) bound to take side to translator deal with it and that even not the problem.the promblem is the way QI do they thing bacstabing 2face shady thing and all idiot thing and just too arogant for they own good that make 90%(maybe) here mad at QI.if qi just do thing like yen pres its just end like that just trhow dmca but they sign contrant and all and in the the greed just too big and they thing here is china but no no no its diff.dont bring shit like hypoth8ng and payment and paywall and other shit cause the problem make most of us mad is THEY WAY THEY DO THEIR BUSSNIS ITS JUST A BIG NO IF U WANT PLAY DIRTY ATLEAST DOIT SMART

20. rdawv

rdawv The Ancient of Lore

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's just say that if Qidian goes on using this ham-fisted approach, they might find their official website being of less priority to the readers when compared to even aggregator sites. I mean, there are readers who are calling for bans and boycotts... does that mean they will stop reading the novels... for ever? I doubt it. So if they are not going to visit Qidian and the translators are forced to drop the stories, the alternatives would be machine translation and actual pirate sites that rip Qidian's own translations...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.