Discussion Qidian's way of shitting on us

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Silver121, Nov 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Knowing how Venture capital works I doubt it
    We got three adaptations this year
    Jian Ye- Ever Night
    WDQK - Martial Universe
    Battle Through The Heavens- Fights Break Sphere
    Others like Eternal Love on my website got a season 2
    Webnovel.com might fail but it will advertise or rather market the TV adaptions of the books
    Webnovel.com can simply be considered an advertising website for their IPs and it will be profitable
    This is the importance of Transmedia, I want to emulate that. Novel might be unsuccessful but manga/comics or animations of live action TV adaptations will earn enough to cover the losses and possibly turn a profit
    It is the proverbial too big to fail
    Well, I prefer having sources to back my arguments
    https://www.viki.com/tv/35887c-fights-break-sphere?locale=en
    https://www.viki.com/tv/36150c-martial-universe?locale=en
    https://www.viki.com/tv/36217c-the-eternal-love-2?locale=en

Kuro_0ni and WinByDying like this.
  2. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not useless to make those comparisons. You just have to keep filler in mind, adjust your conclusions accordingly. This means QI provides even worse value for your money than a raw value comparison would indicate. I called it raw value comparison for a reason. Grammar and especially platform lock are two big ones as well for me. But someone here explained me that's not relevant when comparing value. /s

Nicely written quick filler scene by the way.

Didn't know Nightfall had an adaptation. Interesting. The other two ... Meh.

Good point. I've watched a bit of Korean/Chinese drama, but not because of novels specifically. I regularly read people say they do though IIRC.

I think it's more something for the future, when the market has matured a bit more. Anyway like you say there's added value and future promise, profitability right now aside.

3. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Jiang Ye is Nightfall :blobexpressionless:
    Trust me, it is now,not the future.
    I can name at least 20 adaptations from novels already on NU
    The Eternal Love
    A Tale of Two Phoenixes
    Sound of the Desert
    Song of The Phoenix
    Faithful to Buddha, Faithful to You
    Another Phoenix Story
    Ze Tian Ji
    Zhu Xian
    Oh My General
    Since I am feeling lazy, use Jin Yong to make the other ten
    Oh wait... Love O2O
    Princess Agents
    Princess Weiyong
    Trust me it is not the future. It is now
    Last I checked you license at $100,000 per episode to put them on Streaming websites like iQiyi
    That is why they get up to 60 episodes
    It is one thing to adapt Jin Yong into a drama but even I what consider as amateur literature like King's Avatar is getting an adaptation

4. WinByDying

Reading List:
    Link
    Woah that's a lot! I can add Come And Eat Shan Shan to that list as well. But isn't it ... not well integrated right now? Is there cooperation between QI and streaming services already?

5. Causal Reader

Causal Reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How can you even believe that NU is a sinking ship!? That's impossible, it is just a novel update directory with forums. Even with half of the traffic it would still be running fine. QI I can understand since they have massive overhead cost, NU doesn't. Simple as that!

6. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Tencent owns their own streaming service : Tencent Video
    But I know Youku a competitor was a major partner in producing Martial Universe.
    Licencing such shows to Netflix and Viki.com is probably where the money is.
    Sadly, Dramafever is dead.
    You also have competitors like iQiyi.
    It's a big business. Chinese government banned Korean dramas for about two years to help them thrive. The ban will me uplifted next year.
    Can't provide links on my phone sadly....
    Well couldn't help myself haha

https://mydramalist.com/article/8-c...-now-that-the-hallyu-ban-is-lifted-1120172143

Webnovel.com is supported by Netflix even if it's indirectly. It won't fail.
    I had to study this out of necessity.
    I may not be able to produce TV shows or animation but I can go for the next best thing : comics.
    Although I intend to add a .yet to my may not be able to soon

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  7. WinByDying

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm curious to see what the future will bring.

It was irony in reply to the user saying QI is sinking :blob_grin:. NU isn't sinking anytime soon. I hope. It shouldn't. If it was I'd be on the fence!

It's difficult to say what QI's financial situation is, though it's probably better than most think. Premium is in full effect. Their translators clearly missed some English classes. QI probably pays eastern wages to their employees and translators, and sells to a largely western audience.

Edit: and the other factors Wuji and I mentioned play in as well.

It's guesswork at best.

Wujigege likes this.
  8. Causal Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    Sinking all depends on ten, willing to keep feeding it, as for western audiences that is very debatable, considering most of their traffic is in Asia specifically China.

9. WinByDying

Reading List:
    Link
    The largest share of webnovel.com traffic is from the USA (22.14 percent), followed by India, Brazil, UK and France. The rest is more spread out, not visible for free on the site. NU has similar figures. So webnovel.com itself has a large western audience. Source: SimilarWeb.

Edit: this is Qidian International, not Qidian itself of course. The post of the other user way back in the thread was about QI going down not Q going down.

10. Causal Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay will check it out.

11. Causal Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    did the check but China & Taiwan is not available, checked other sites that should have traffic from those countries but still not available. A far cry of 24 million. As you see USA has 56k.
    image.png

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  12. WinByDying

Reading List:
    Link
    A good deal of countries is missing then, don't know what the reasons are. It's China. Overall the West is like half or more of the visits, ignoring countries not listed.

webnovel.com is in English, what reason do Chinese people have to read novels here? Let alone pay if they can buy the original.
    If India only accounts for 7 percent with its billion plus people, quick extrapolation (as everyone likes to do) learns us that the East won't take that large of a percentage. Not a very solid argument but interesting nonetheless.

13. Causal Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't ask me why! Even I scratch my head why China traffic is stupidly large. As you say they can read their own raws! ;)

14. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    In this short 2 page thread
    Why am I seeing first hunter being released by QI
    We sort of touched up on China Literature's financial view on things.

Checkm8 did provide some take aways {food for thought}

A lot of fake accounts have been made to use the free stones, so we can assume they are making most of their IPs paywalled.

Causal Reader likes this.
  15. Causal Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup! A lot of fake accounts to boost up the traffic in QI, what is the average number of accounts per user? Is it 30,20,10, or is it 5?

16. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link

Quoting checkm8's summary

191,800,000 monthly users from 2017 to 213,500,000 monthly users.
    --Basically an increase of 21,700,000 more accounts have been made in the 1st half of 2108.

Now of the 213,500,000 accounts roughly 10,700,000 buy spirit stones.
    ---which used to be 11,500,000 people who purchased spirit stones.

17. checkm8

checkm8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    30 accounts sounds exhausting and way too time-consuming to manage! However, considering the spirit stone reward for signing up additional users (accounts), I could see where many users might have created an extra 30 accounts for the extra 2600+ SS.

TBH, I think that most users only have one account but it's not hard to have 2-3 accounts in use spread out across a couple browsers(I have 3 but only use one). Juggling anything more than that and it would make more sense to just go underground/ePubs.

Kuro_0ni likes this.
  18. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha a lot of people here are just blowing hot air with nothing to back it.
    Living in a bubble is dangerous. It blinds and makes you overestimate your importance.
    I saw an original novel on Qidian written by an India with 2100 plus comments on a single chapter. It is also premium.
    NUF is a very tiny community and stand for fart. Even the toxic reddit novel community means squat!
    Qidian is doing fine.
    Unlike the champions of morality here who offer only kind words. They actually offer authors a life line, real tangible income.
    Hungry people are fed with income not kind words.
    Well the average age on here is a lot younger than we think. So their understanding of the real world being lacking is not a surprise.
    Free? Haha that is just stupidity. It doesn't work.
    Only fools think it works.
    Qidian can survive on original English authors alone.
    I wonder when we will see an Indian System novel turned into a game or anime.
    Would be cool right? @Indiboy
    I will take evil Qidian helping an Indian author and hopefully promoting writing in India over a keyboard warrior in diapers.
    Authors should earn from their hard work. They are not slaves

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    Night Ghost and Indiboy like this.
  19. checkm8

checkm8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I took it a step further and broked down the actual China Literature data into a spreadsheet for 2016/2017/2018 including the second half of 2017 which wasn't directly stated in their annual reports but could be figured out based on the 2017 China Literature annual report & the 2018 China Literature report for the first half.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TaoAqBqfQv96m_LPAXJbZyzTVXcziBS7cT200eGN7zk/edit?usp=sharing

What was interesting was the numbers in the second half of 2017 which showed that their percentage of paying users was already sliding when their IPO launched. Their 2017 Annual report showed 5.8% for the year, but the second half of 2017 was only at 5.6%, (down to 5% for 2018).

Note: Not sure how to insert it into here :(

Fuyuneko, WinByDying and Kuro_0ni like this.
  20. Causal Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    Read through the report and did the number crunching the average should be between 20 to 25 fake accounts per user. Since actual stone purchase of a 6 month period grossed them 63k rmb or cny, which equals to 9k of US dollars. Those that payed before, now added to the total, converted to more accounts were closer to 21 fake accounts per ratio. So with that info in hand the average should be closer to 23-24 fake accounts per user.

Kuro_0ni likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.