Quality of new novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by T-Rekt, Jun 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-Rekt

T-Rekt Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey just getting into webnovels again. It seems like the quality of novels got even worse idk but most new novels here read like fanfictions. Also is qidian still so bad.

2. DontLookDown

DontLookDown One with the bed

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes and yes. When you have 10x the number of novels that means 10x the amount of hot garbage.

3. Freezy

Freezy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The quality of novels never worsened (in fact I'd say there's better stuff available), your tastes just changed. World Apocalypse Online is pretty good imo.

4. MonkeDanana

MonkeDanana Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Time to read Korean novel. Chinese novel keep getting worse. While Japanese novel never improve.

kuroAnsatsu and Arbalest like this.
  5. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you mean the site/app by QI then yes they are still bad, especially since I’ve noticed an increase in MTL novels on there.

A lot of Korean novels that’s been translated recently are getting worse, Like the OP grandpa one on Wuxiaworld.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2020
    kuroAnsatsu and Havisu like this.
  6. Havisu

Havisu Night Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    When i read korean novel i always wondered how tf this and that can happen, especially when the mc got reincarnated, when korean have been always known to be very easy to get amnesia. Just look at their drama, you can say that just as much as japanese love isekai novel, korean love to have at least one amnesiac character in their series. Even if it was not shown early, it would later be revealed as "oh actually when he was thissss small, he lost his memories" etc..

How tf can they be reincarnated with previous life memories intact if they're korean???! This is out of logic!

Also, remember the times when we have few translation groups working together to translate one novel? Yeah those are some fun memories. Now we dont have things like that anymore.

Before, we got translators who translate because of passions etc, and certainly not money. Hell some even reject donation or gift and such, now most of it based on money. But i am still grateful that at least someone still translating something i would read.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2020
    glaxerszz and T-Rekt like this.
  7. T-Rekt

T-Rekt Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    think back to 2012-2017 there where so many good webnovels that i can still read on repeat, I guess I'll keep looking after a gem.

8. Lord Luc

Lord Luc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At the beginning, the overall quality of translated novels were higher. But because we kept translating the cream of the crop, all we have left now are the mediocre ones and *new* cream of the crop ones.

It's why Korean novels where so good in the past year (ish) and why they might be starting to go downhill now.

This is all my opinion and not facts.

LollipoPReapeR and T-Rekt like this.
  9. T-Rekt

T-Rekt Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    back then the community was so much smaller

Havisu and Sharudeis like this.
  10. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Its getting worse and yes its still shit(Qi).

As of now im just reading from those TL that has been working on the novels that im reading since last last year.
    Just saw someone picking up one of my faves and i regret reading that already.

11. Sharudeis

Sharudeis Semi-narcoleptic

Reading List:
    Link
    To think I used to read whatever I could get my hands on, even if it were just a crappy generic xianxia crammed with irrational cliches...
    I'm still looking for more things to read, but I've gotten more picky as time goes on and the stuff I would have read three or four years ago, I wouldn't even look at now
    Like harem tags, I guess. Those used to be bearable, and but now heck nah

glaxerszz and Tourist Bamboo like this.
  12. Tourist Bamboo

Tourist Bamboo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The more you read, the more picky you get as your taste bud for novels are getting better and better. I assume it happens to almost everyone

Sharudeis and Fishy_MC_FishMan like this.
  13. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    This is weird, because for me the older ones aren't actually that good... (I started reading in 2017)

14. Kzhckz.

Kzhckz. [Sad] [Angry] [Happy]

Reading List:
    Link
    "If hobby you were doing starting to be business instead, it is not your hobby anymore but work."

- Intelegent Being on Reddit.

Tourist Bamboo and Tofu Cat like this.
  15. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    worse?
    nah it only mean we get wider view toward what available on country of origin~ another point is there more translator available with similar taste on story so if you think there more trash novel get translated it mean there more translator with bad taste~
    of course it not put consider on translator or group who put monetary as it drive because that another thing worth of separate thread~
    hmmm it kinda like on baka tsuki era there times harem, school battle royale type story kinda abundant~ baka to test, infinite stratos, curse cube curious, fafnir, vampire something, tsuki-tsuki ect while ghost hunt or hero be mine type of story are rare gem~

curently put bl aside it seem novel target female reader increasing noteable on kr.... alright it seem isekai into villain is trending~

well reader transform into translator seem still da main force so you get whatever they like to read~
    notably on BL section~

that is why there only so much snusnu translated story available cuz most of it reader too busy fapping rather than learning to become translator

16. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How would you even tell? Unless you're reading webnovels in their original language, the only books on NU that are representative of what's available are the Japanese books. All the popular Japanese webnovels get translated so if you don't like them, then at least it's fair to say that the current lot aren't to your taste. But Korean or Chinese novels? Only a small slice of what's out there ever gets translated, and anything outside of that slice doesn't show up so you're missing out on entire genres. It'd be like saying that all Disney films are bad when the only ones that you get to watch are "Song of the South" and "the Rescuers".

I can't even blame the translators since they just tackle the projects that get a readership. I'd say that if you're interested in reading good books, they're out there; just take some effort to look them up. If you not willing to explore new kinds of material then the issue might not be the kind of books that get written.

17. Vanagandr

Vanagandr [ Outer God ] [ Sleeping ]

Reading List:
    Link
    :cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie:
    I'm here to watch some drama

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.