Discussion Questionable sides of transmigration

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Rubyspecs, Jun 7, 2022.

1. Rubyspecs

Rubyspecs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One of the such sides of transmigration has always pricked me a bit. Like generally in cnovels, the original soul of the body is usually given a righteous yet dumb, arrogant, gloomy or depressed or inferior persona who goes around doing stuff brainlessly and suffers so much and dies.

And when the protagonist transmigrates into his or her body,all their bitter past, sufferings, thier entire saga of life becomes a springboard for the protagonist to shine and gain a spotlight as his or her personality is completely vibrant, and colorful in contrast to the original soul which makes people around him or her notice more and pay more attention than usual.

2. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Indeed I think if they want to have all the suffering and bitter past it would be better to keep the soul the same. You could have it where they regain their previous life memories, rather than having a new soul take over their body. That way they gain the ability to change their destiny, but what they suffered is still personal and meaningful to the story.

3. aienmoon

aienmoon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    at first i really liked those stories but as ive read several novels now i feel that the og body is really pitiful especially those who become vicious/blackened because of her situation like bloodsucking family, or being ignored by family or husband they usually become depressed and do stupid things. then the transmigrator comes in and steal her family's love, that makes me so uncomfortable. this made me so picky now with novels, i prefer stories that have transmigrated from birth or og characters that realized theyre a character from a book.

4. poploc

poploc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed. As commentors above stated, it kinda defeats the purpose. I much prefer when it is the original owner who obtains a second chance OR a person who has a similar sturggle to whom they have taken over because in a sense it also helps that person be able to move on from those experiences.

Another issue, I have with when characters like that take over is the story inconsistency sometimes. Not sure if i expressed it in the best way possible but i find it surreal sometimes that a change in attuide could change a situation so much. For example, I once read a novel in which the character they took over in the past had a bright personality which shifted to being a closed off individual as a result of their surroundings and the people( ok no problem) BUT then this new character comes in and tries the old character former tactic and succeeds?!( Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way)

5. Hell is boring

Hell is boring Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ikr?
    True. SO TRUE
    It's so uncomfortable. Like, they're not YOUR parents/siblings/husband/etc. Their live is NOT meant for you. They don't even know the real you. Why are you so comfortable with acknowledging totall strangers as family? This is so unrealistic ( T .T)
    Like honestly if I were to isekai to another world the first thing I'd do would be packing my shit & running away from these abusive people as far away as I could. Sigh

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
  6. Akiraaa

Akiraaa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes you're right! Even some Kr novels do this better, it let's you think that og character was pitiful and wanted to know what happens to them then suddenly it will be revealed that the Transmigrated mc was the og all along. They just don't remember it.

7. UndyingSLIME10295

UndyingSLIME10295 [•Figment of your Imagination•]

Reading List:
    Link
    Seirei Gensouki?

8. Irisia

Irisia Moon bunny at your service

Reading List:
    Link
    then it wouldn't be transmigration, but reincarnation or time reversal, completely different genres

9. Marvin

Marvin The Man who realize love

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah let's "Cancel" them, don't read those kinds of novels to show your protests, send authors and translator hate-mails or death threats and show your solidarity by reading only the most popular book of them all "The Bible"

Mr gentleman and Xian Piete like this.
  10. Akiraaa

Akiraaa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    After reading this comme t, I realized it is. Maybe because whenever I read stories like that I was under the impression that it is a Transmigration one, especially since stereotypically some novels "Transmigrate" by being hit by a car/truck

11. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, technically reincarnation is a form of transmigration, they mostly have separate tags for the sake of specificity.
    Transmigration doesn't have to involve going to another world, it has just become a common word to use for those stories.

Akiraaa likes this.
  12. PeanutButter and 23 others

PeanutButter and 23 others Purple Platypus Bear w/ Pink Horn & Silver Wing

Reading List:
    Link
    Reason I stick to published novels and short story romance

Hell is boring likes this.
  13. LyreSecondString

LyreSecondString Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    RIGHT!! It really feels uncomfortable reading novels like this! I especially don't reading ones where MC transmigerated into someone who has a husband/wife/lover.
    Like, they hate or indifferent with the original but because MC came and had a "personality change", they immediately fall in love?! How shallow!
    Another thing that made me uncomfortable is when the original do not have a bad personality, where they are loved by many people (family, frirends, etc.), or when the orginal is rich, then MC suddenly came and took over their lives, their loveones, their wealth, their beauty, their everthing! (I read a novel before where a plain and ordinary MC transmigrated into someone beautiful and wealthy! I really hate it, that MC is so entitled and narcissistic!)

Whether the original suddenly died then MC took over or MC just simply tramigrated to their body whithout any explanation, they original owner of the body are just tools and stepping stones to make MC shine brighter...

Blossom_Honey and Hell is boring like this.
  14. Hell is boring

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly. Not just husbands now. I've encountered fls who became people who already had children. Scary stuff
    Ikrrrrr. I really feel disgusted at such times. There was even this manhwa I read once. The original owner has become depressed duo to all the bullying & abuse & she finally committed suicide. & when the fl possessed her body with her 'bright & hardworking' all her family immediately liked her because they were just tired of a depressed girl. EXCUSE ME SIR WHOSE FUCKING FAULT DO YOU THINK HER DEPRESSION WAS?????? ugh, I swear...
    I completely agree with the last sentence. The actual owners of the bodies are completely ignored. Hell I even read a manhwa in which the actual owner wanted to over HER OWN body yet our sweet & innocent fl didn't allow her to switch for more than 5 mins because apparently now she was the rightful owner?????? I mean sure I understand how you don't want to disappear, but at least don't (literally) steal other people's lives without a shred of guilt & regret

15. Rubyspecs

Rubyspecs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's right, I guess I have also read type of novels. It seems as if the author makes you conclude that people who are depressed, arrogant, hot tempered or made foolish decisions don't deserve anyone's care, affection or appreciation. Not even a single person appreciates or cares about the original soul, not even one,

And when the smart, charismatic, vibrant , bubbly caring protagonist transmigrates, she sets everything right, showers people with 'Love and people can't help attract to her like magnets. It seems so hypocritical. The people around her are definitely shallow...and their thoughts itself show that how the original soul was seen as someone who is hopeless, with dull persona and they are all glad that she 'changed' for the better.

Ml will think like this "Oh she used to have such dull character, now she has become more interesting."
    The friends and neighbour's will be like "She is different from rumors. A good hearted child. "
    Forgetting the very fact that they themselves never had the right to judge someone as they themselves are full of flaws and shortcoming.

16. Hell is boring

Reading List:
    Link
    Ikr =)
    Like the fl doesn't even do anything she just sits there & smiles & boom! Everyone loves her.
    So freaking frustrating :)
    I really hate that how at some point or another the fl too, alongside others think how the original owner was an idiot or ungrateful etc. HONEY YOU AREN'T EXACTLY WINNING A NOBLE PRIZE EITHER NOR ARE YOU A SAINT (even tho author wants us to believe she is) And exactly as you said. Who tf gave them the right to judge people left & right with an 'angelic & sweet smile'
    Pffft honestly with every dialogue you said from characters' pov I could name at least 10 novels =))))))) the authors aren't even trying at this point =))))))
    Sigh :")

17. Tsubaki -

Tsubaki - Unknown Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like reading transmigration stories either. A common trope is that the mc who is a good person and great at everything transmigrates into a villian who couldn't be more evil. But, people aren't like this. Rather than having the mc reiterate how bad the original was (and how great they are), wouldn’t it be better to confront the mc with whatever they are guilt of and examine their reasons for doing so.
    Also, I dislike fanfiction breaking apart a canon couple just because the mc or ml isn't perfect enough. :blobpoliceangry:

18. Amatullah

Amatullah Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Looool, it just depends on how well the author writes the story, i guess. For instance, I dont like transmigration if the body MC transmigrates into has family, but the novel im currently obsessed with has a transmigrated character with 6 family members and i love it, maybe its because the origninal owner of the body agreed to the transmigration.
    I also dislike it when the family notices that the character of the MC has obviously suddenly changed and also has skills that the original owner did not have, yet they prefer the new changes over the old character of the MC, but again, the novel I’m currently obsessed with also has that trope.

But, what do you think about transmigration stories where the original character was gonna die anyway (lots of bl where they transmigrate into the body of cannon fodders who are about to die at the hands of the protags)? Or the ones where the original character was a piece of shit to his spouse and kids(Spiritual Planter)? Do you mind if the transmigration happens into books?

Irisia likes this.
  19. absenior19

absenior19 Neutral Rational

Reading List:
    Link
    but why even go and do all that. why not just let him transmigrate to a good family maybe with a big background.
    it's like every novel need to tell us and show us that, how an mc can go against all odds and rise and be a part of something larger than life. lol I mean, if someday a friend of mine started acting completely out of his character, and this is a world of power. Then I will definitely get suspicious lol. But novels don't go into such depth ever. As it will just show how bad a world can get, and then mc won't be able to act all simp and beta-like how usual heroic mc is.
    Well, maybe I am just tired of reading similar troupes. That's it.

Rubyspecs likes this.
  20. Blossom_Honey

Blossom_Honey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, really agree, that was one of my main issues with How to Get My Husband on My Side. FL and the villainess had similar lives where they were abused at home by their family - in particular their older brothers - so you could say more or less she fit into the body and backstory. But, different people react differently to the same situation so FL was more subdued and submissive, compared to the villainess who acted out and ultimately ended up making the wrong choices due to her abuse even though she wanted to love the ML and have a happy life with him. There was also the ML to blame, because he neglected her and therefor was unable to gain her trust so she could avoid making bad choices.

Then the whole transmigration happened and with FL’s more submissive personality sucking up to everyone (because that’s how she knew to survive), it seemed like it was blatantly screaming “oh if only the villainess didn’t make the wrong choices in the ogTimeline, see if she just acted more bright and put more effort into gaining ML’s trust more that could’ve been avoided” and it was so sad because yeah the villainess messed up, but she was abused and ML didn’t put in the effort to look after her properly, so how could you have expected her to do that? The villainess even made it clear that she WANTED to have a happy life with ML, WANTED to trust him, but in the end she couldn’t believe in him enough to ask for help.

The story seemed to say, “if only the villainess acted differently” but what about ML who, yeah had trauma, but acted immature and didn’t take proper responsibility for his wife? Who ignored her and didn’t bother to even make sure that at least she was doing well and comfortable in his house? I’ve always had beef with this novel and finally I get a chance to explain why

northerner likes this.