Discussion Questions about Moonlight Sculpture

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Dr.Maniac, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Maniac

Dr.Maniac I am Death.

Reading List:
    Link
    I got a few questions about this series.
    #1. To read or not to read. I see that its pretty popular but I'm not sure since it could be a cliche VRMMORPG.
    #2. Although the synopsis is good but could someone go into more detail about it. Like does he sell items to get the money or does he make sculptures like the title says?
    #3. Is it a fun read?

2. RougeAsura

RougeAsura Rayus

Reading List:
    Link
    He accidentally receives sculpture class and use it to make money. If you want synopsis once read manga. If you like it then start the novel. Yep its fun to read.

CDLevit likes this.
  3. Odyssey

Odyssey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ilike it @ vol 26 atm. #2 both...... after selling his account from the first game he starts to play Royal Road with the intent to sell items/drops from the game in auctions for Real Money. The sculptures he sells are in game for game money (but since he's a sculpture he always broke). As the story progresses he gets more financially stable due to his popularity in Royal Road. LMS not only takes place inside the VRMMORPG but outside as well and you get A LOT of secondary character development.

#3......yes very much so. The adventures that Weed goes on are so f'ing epic. Hell I would watch the "vids he post on the Hall of Fame" if it was real. The other thing I find enjoyable is how he interrupts Seoyun actions because of a first encounter misunderstanding.

Overall I give it a 9 out of 10 (I never give out a 10 til I have finish reading the complete story)

CDLevit likes this.
  4. maskedcerf

maskedcerf DCLXVI

Reading List:
    Link
    fun story to read I can't remember the number of time where i was holding my stomach XD

CDLevit and JJ like this.
  5. Animester

Animester Silent whisper

Reading List:
    Link
    if u like romance,just dont try it...but action makes up for it and battles are epic..Either way i dropped after vol 18 due to low quality translation..

CDLevit likes this.
  6. Odyssey

Reading List:
    Link
    remember the shadow sculpture he mind in the vampire kingdom....lol that was one of my fav moments

7. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember something else from it.
    JAAAAPTEEEM! and the geomanchis, mapan, weed was half naked lol.

CDLevit and Odyssey like this.
  8. AzureM

AzureM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dr. Maniac, LMS was the first LN that i read nonstop. I've read others novel but I really got addicted into Legendary Moonlight Sculptor. It's great

CDLevit likes this.
  9. Cien

Cien 『Omnivore Reader』Inactive

Reading List:
    Link
    The only downside of reading this is.... the translations arent as fast as you'd want it to be (AKA its addicting as fuck). If you've read Ark, then I could say that this is way better. The story is fun, both protagonist and heroine's personality is interesting, the abilities are cool. There are also a lot of "side stories" that introduces and develop side characters which is a plus. You get also a view of their actual lives outside the game. Storyline wise, he starts off getting a "Hidden" class as a Moonlight Sculptor, one of the least popular classes, he does his best to make gold mainly to help his sister and grand mother, later on as he becomes more successful in the game, he becomes more financially stable but he still a stickler for making money. I highly recommend this (I learned about it first from the manga that only had like 5 chapters, I wasnt disappointed in looking up the translated novel)

CDLevit likes this.
  10. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    #1 some parts of it might be considered cliche, but it was as far as I know one of the earlier works, therefore it's ... an interesting case.
    #2 Firstly, he's incredibly thrifty / greedy. Secondly, he's very famous. Thirdly, he's famous for good reasons . Fourthly, publicity & awesomeness gets viewers. Fifthly, he's often positively misunderstood.
    #3 I'm having problems coming up with some group that wouldn't like any part until it's current translation stage, so there's a bit of everything, and much of some things.

CDLevit likes this.
  11. HapUgMata

HapUgMata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    LMS is definitely worth it to spend time to read...though if you don't want a wise and skillful but money greedy and dense in romance MC then don't read it...

CDLevit likes this.
  12. Odyssey

Reading List:
    Link
    He may be that but you cant really fault him for it because of the kind of life he had to lead for over 10 years. Should be noted that he is kind to his family only since that's only ppl he can trust.

CDLevit likes this.
  13. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    #1: Cliche? That's like calling Lord of the Rings cliche for using Elves, Dwarves and Orcs. It's one of the earliest VR works so it's not cliche, it was the damn starter.

#2: The MC has just gotten his id card which would allow him to finally work legally which means he can devote more time to earning money to help his ailing grandmother and smart sister. So he plans to delete his game account, but changes his mind and sells it instead. The end result was that his max level (only max level in game) account with epic equips sells for 3 billion won (about 3 million dollars USD). Unfortunately, the debt his parents left him causes him to lose about 98% of that money, but now that he has a taste for earning money from games, he tackles the newish VRMMORPG game Royal Road.

The story is basically about him trying to make a living while playing the game RR. At the same time, his unique class, personality quirks and adventures causes him to stand out among the many players of the game. Yea, he makes a good living from playing the game. His IRL scenes are also rather awesome.

#3: Very fun read. The series of events leading up to the MC's current position in the story are both hilarious and disbelieving. He's basically on the longest chain quest in existence and the rewards are phenomenal. His personality is so unique that it drastically affects the actions he takes in the game, and is overall the reason why his status is as it is now.

If you've read Royal Road Legends fanfics and fictions, most of the earlier ones were influenced by Legendary Moonlight Sculptor.

makenai89, 12kucingputih and CDLevit like this.
  14. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    What most people think a cliche in a VRMMO is being stuck in the game (SAO). I'm assuming that way since TC has the overlord avatar.

TO answer that #1 of OP, no it's not your typical stuck in the game VRMMO. The player can log out anytime they want. Real life/slice of life is also tackled in the novel.

CDLevit likes this.
  15. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    #1 I'd say that reading LMS is similar with grinding. Some might quit because it require doing the same thing over and over again, while those who stay enjoy the feeling of being stronger from grinding.
    #2 he did everything to get money. Selling sculpture & japtem, craft/repair/cook a lot of thing to save & gain more money, manipulate other, tax collection, being overly stingy.
    #3 read #1 again

CDLevit and Lachiel like this.
  16. undead5354

undead5354 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    LMS is first novel i read after that i got addicted to novels. yes fun to read.

CDLevit likes this.
  17. Lachiel

Lachiel Paradise Lost

Reading List:
    Link
    Shio keeps saying everything right..
    I do recommend reading the first 20ish volumes as they are translated nicely~.. but after that we get into the MTL terrority and only a few people are translating it from language knowledge...
    @Shio stop being so good. <3

CDLevit likes this.
  18. Nyanko

Nyanko Psychotic Cat Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    Decided to read this story when the topic was created; it was on my maybe list for a while, pushed it over the edge. Now 21 volumes in, its very much a quality work. The MC is dense, greedy, vile, manipulative and do anything to win; a type of character close to my heart <3. If the story keeps at this level, I'd have no hesitation giving it four and a half to five stars.

19. CDLevit

CDLevit Aspiring water; spark of cynicism; Em&es explorer.

Reading List:
    Link
    LMS was my first novel that I liked and it holds the first place in my list.
    As the CEO of the unicorn company saied Weed lacks only a target, the will to conquer. Personally, I like the administrative chapthers, where he decides what and why to build something. For me, the novel isn't centered on action but on the life of Weed, better saied the life of Weed in the game. I admit, some chapters looks boring, but that's only because it's about virtual reality and that's still an concept, not sonething real, there are npc's, game characters and not an a place where an absurd entity like a god cuts and carry broken ideals. But, what's more interesting is the A.I. I'm looking forward to the moment when there will be, hope it will be, an explanation about the road to conquer, why and how the necessity of a game appeared.
    When Weed received the pasword for the website of gamers union there were 3 principles that revealed Weed's mind.

Even if he cheats on money and whatnot those are moments when you clearly how his life took precedent and how it influenced his ,,school of tought".

The side characters aren't too detailed, the fighting scenes centers on strategy and more important on answering at that ,,why does he do that"?.
    Forthe first book of a writer I think it's a good one, give it a try, the decision is yours, the preferences are yours.

20. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What's so cliche about LMS?

for every novel like this, the mc would pick something like healer, warrior, mages etc. When was the last time you read something that the mc became a sculptor anyway? lol. Hell, the mc didnt even wanted to be one and forced anyway....

I've read other novels related to games, none can compare to lms in terms of epicness in battles... The author can really build up a battle scene.

And I like the MC... although sometimes his greedy nature can overtake his decisions, but in the end, he's a good guy, even with his greed intact.

I'd say read. This is my top novel related to gaming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.