Random Short Translations (from various languages into English)

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Hell_ping, Dec 18, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xzpwnz

xzpwnz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Title and Chapter: Only I am not Attacked in a World Overrun with Zombies, Chapter 1
    Author: 裏路地
    Language: Japanese
    Type: Web Novel
    High Fever

A world overflowing with zombies, the tenth day.

Takemura Yusuke is 25 years old, a former salaryman.

His company went bankrupt a year ago.

Job hunting unsuccessful, a little while ago becoming a shut-in in his apartment, he played games single-mindedly.

In addition, it was an action game about shooting zombies with guns.

Becoming absorbed for a week, it was hours on end.

After taking a break, properly shaving his whiskers, he went outside the door to buy food.

In the middle of the apartment’s hallway, he was attacked by a strange man.

It was frightening to even recall it.

A middle-aged man wearing a suit, while drooling, jumped with a warped face.

It was just like rabies. Kicking away in a hurry, he threw a potted plant that was nearby, and fled to his room. The man came chasing, beginning to heavily pound the door. Yusuke trembled, making a phone call to 110, there was no connection at all.

Eventually the mood became worse, becoming unable to stand. He exerted the last of his strength and drew the chain on the door, he fell when he entered his futon, Yusuke’s consciousness stopped.

It seems he slept for about 3 days.

Although he woke up still dazed, he quenched his thirst with barley tea in the refrigerator, waking up refreshed. He was feeling unusually refreshed.

Remembering the man who attacked him, he checked the door in a panic, there were no traces of anything broken.

Although there was relief for the time being, he hesitated to go out.

Yusuke started up his PC, searching the incident on the net. That mad man, investigating to see whether or not he was caught.

Now, the world was far from what he knew of it.

“Are you serious……”

Occurring simultaneously all over the world, a mysterious epidemic.

A 100% fatality rate. The brain is hit with a high fever, infected humans die within the first day.

Afterwards, their corpse begins to move within 24 hours. They begin indiscriminately attacking people.

Humans bitten by them are infected, die, and become their companions.

“Can’t be zombies……”

Yusuke muttered dumbfounded.

Although he searched various news sites, half of them didn’t connect. The remainder also, ceased updating about 4 days ago.

There were a few sites that updated in real time, all the information there was hopeless.

Government not functioning, although rescue activities centered around prefectural assembly members and the Self Defense Force continue in various places, it isn’t going well. Roads are blocked by abandoned vehicles, refugees left behind in various places.

It’s like the whole world was struck by a catastrophe.

In a quiet dark room, even if you look at it while sitting in front of a PC, it had no sense of reality at all.

Remembering the television, the channel for the game monitor is changed to commercial broadcast, there was a sandstorm (static) everywhere.

Yusuke stood up, approaching the window of the veranda. Opening the curtains a little, squinting his eyes due to the dazzling light, took a peek outside.

The spectacle seen from the fifth floor of the apartment, the same street as always. Only buildings could be seen in the distance, there wasn’t anything particularly unusual.

Opening the window, coming out to the veranda.

Looking around, the state of the ground stood out. Several cars were abandoned in disorder. Stranded on the sidewalk, they were also thrust into stores.

There was a shadow of a person on the side. However, staggering aimlessly, it seemed to just wander. Is it really a normal human being? Yusuke couldn’t judge.

“We’ve got a big problem”

Going back to the room, sitting down on a chair, muttering.

At least, it’s true that something happened.

An infection started, just about the time Yusuke was absorbed in the game. After that 2, 3 days, swept over the whole of Japan.

So that means, that man who attacked was also a zombie? I wonder?

Thinking until there, Yusuke froze.

Rolling up his right arm’s sleeve in a panic, checking the part that was attacked by the man.

There, digging through the clothes and into the skin, there were bite marks from the man.

“............”

The bleeding already stopped, it became a scab, Yusuke investigated a treatment method on the net impatiently.

However, it’s over if you’re bitten, was the only information that came out.

“Incubation period……? But, it was written that you die in a day. High fever…… to that degree, no matter how you think about it.”

Chills after being bitten by the man, infection symptoms.

However, Yusuke is alive.

“He wasn’t a zombie, just a mad man, did a strange bacteria enter the wound? …… I don’t understand.”

Just in case, he looked up the phone numbers of nearby hospitals on the net. Everywhere didn’t connect. Both the police and emergency were the same.

Although he still wasn’t able to have a sense of reality, it seems to be a fact that society has stopped.
    I don't think this and a few of my other translations are on novelupdates since I don't have a website and have them all saved on google docs

2. LostBMe

LostBMe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Title: DameRori - The no-good loli, Chapter 1
    Author:Beni
    Type: Syosetsu
    Was thinking about translating this. Lost the passion for it - at the moment. Seems like some loli lovers around here. Maybe someone else will find a new love and pick it up? Or maybe I'll find the flame after some time. Who knows.
    A reincarnated girl predisposed to being a useless individual. Shorten it and we can call it a No-Good-Loli.
    I like reincarnated themes. Up till now I’ve written stories with the main character being endowed with a wonderful family but this time the main character is born to a family with some communication problems.
    A self-defined no-good person, the cynical little five-years old girl and the gay boy who is in love with her father, tell you their story.
    It should finish with around 56 chapters.-by the author
    “I thought I’d be able to find happiness if I were reborn.”

She could feel that she was being punished. No doubt it was a punishment for having put her hopes on the future and not dealing with her present at the time.

Her past memories became too heavy burden for her to live in her current life. No doubt this burden was due to her karma. All the faults she had in her past life, attributed to making her current life worthless as well.

She saw it, her big emerald eyes wide open. She accepted it.

No matter how many times she was reborn, she would never obtain happiness.

This was one of her faults. Giving up like this.

Her mother ran away.

She had tired of her husband, so she left her children and just walked out.

Her little brother cried but all she did was look on coldly.

This was another one of her faults. She would not think of or empathize for, her family. Not that her new family was all that different from her, either.

She had been hoping to be reborn in a warm and caring family, but she had already given up on such a family. Those only existed in fairy tales.

Your home environment was an important place in which your personality would be nurtured. So she had believed that if she were to be born to a caring family, she too could become a good person. Although, even if she had been born to a caring family, it would have been difficult, given that she still had her past memories to contend with.

Her father was like a mafia boss, who controlled the town. He was a foul-mouthed, womanizing, alcoholic that had violent tendencies. Her seventeen year old brother was the right-hand man to this mafia boss. Her little twin brother would cling to their older brother and never spoke a word to her.

---I don’t care. After all, I can’t love them anyway.

The little girl had no intentions of getting along with them. Even in her past life, she never felt any ties to her family and the feeling was mutual. Her family had been indifferent to her as well.

Family, strangers, and even herself.

It was another one of her faults. That she would not try to love anyone.

She knew that this planet was different from the one on which she had lived on.

Because people on this world were able to trace patterns in the air with light that shone from their fingertips. She believed they had to be some sort of alien no matter how much they may look like a human being. Yes, no doubt about it.

A small portion of the population on this world had a special ability. It might be easiest to understand it if it were to be called magic.

Casting a magic spell by drawing a rune circle with their mana powers concentrated into their fingertips. Only, they called it a pattern, not a circle on this world. And it was called [gear], not magic. And they called it light, not mana.

Light, like blood, was something that could be inherited.

The little girl’s father was predisposed to having a lot of light. He used his gear and created a security company which now controlled the city.

Her older brother also used gear. He would teach the little girl’s twin brother how to use it.

No one would pay any attention to her, the only girl in the family. However, she did not sulk. Hugging her legs to her body, she sat quietly nearby and continued to look on detachedly.

Her brother was teaching her younger twin the fire pattern. It was the magic used to control fire. A blaze would be born as if from a fire-breathing dragon by simply tracing the light runes.

Her older brother was showing her twin the basics as he was not able to handle the light yet. Becoming careless, he mishandled his powers and it flew to the little girl. Her hair caught on fire.

“Ru---RUAN!!”

As she stood aimlessly, her brother rushed to her side and quickly extinguished the fire. Her twin helplessly looked on.

A woman’s hair was her life, even in this world. She looked much like her twin brother, after her long hair had burned. Her hair now was short like a boy.

It was obviously something they need to report to their father, the head of the household.

“You dumb idiot! What the hell were you doing? Burning your little sister’s hair like that!? Don’t you got no pride? Can’t even protect your little sister!” growled their father from his chair.

Her little brother started crying, speechlessly as their father glared at him.

Her older brother turned pale and looked away. “Be..besides! It’s Ruan’s fault that her hair’s short like Roan now. Because she was standing there like an idiot, not paying attention to what was going on!”

He quickly shifted the blame onto the little girl, who even now stood stoically by her crying little brother. She said nothing as her brother accused her for being at fault. She simply looked on her older brother with her emerald green eyes.

When you looked into her eyes, it was impossible to tell what the little girl was thinking of. It created an uncomfortable feeling for her family and made it difficult for them to deal with her.

“Don’t you dare answer back to me, you idiot!!” growled their father as he threw the whiskey bottle at her brother.

Luckily, it only glanced her brother’s head before shattering into the wall behind him. It was impossible to tell if he had intentionally missed him or not. And it would be imprudent to ask. So, her brother stood still as the color drained from his face.

“Go and play with Ruan sometimes. Otherwise, she gonna get snitty like this.”

“I am not in a snit,” answered Ruan. Her father glared for her to be silent. He was known to make a crying child shut up with just a look. Ruan, on the other hand, looked indifferent as ever.

Her brother though silently, If anyone should, you should be the one that makes some time for her, Father.

“Shit. I’ll get someone to go play house with you,” said their father.

“I don’t play house,” said Ruan

“Don’t be getting cocky with me!” rumbled their father as he threw his shot glass this time.

It flew past the little girl’s head and smashed into the wall behind her. As her brothers shivered in fear, the little girl continued to stand there indifferently.

“With your short hair, the only way to tell you apart from Roan is by what you wear. Go play house.”

“......”

They were actually fraternal twins but they looked alike. Now you could only tell them apart by what they wore.

The little girl wore a frilly dress. She didn’t care much for dresses, she thought as she pouted and played with her skirt.

“You going to hire a babysitter, Father?”

“No, gonna make one of the grunts babysit.”

“You gonna make one of the underlings do it? Was there someone that liked kids?”

“There’s no way I’d let some guy that like kids look after my daughter,” barked their father in reply to her brother’s question.

All his subordinates were men. Over half of them wasn’t someone he’d trust to look after his daughter. But there was one subordinate he could entrust his daughter to.

“Kuaro’s got the best qualifications for it.”

Her brother was astonished by the name he had just heard.

“Why’d you chose him of all people!?”

Hearing the unfamiliar name, the twins looked up at their brother. They swung their gazes back to their father as he leaned back in his chair, proud of his selection .

Their father explained the reasoning behind his choice.

“Because he’s gay.”

3. Hell_ping

Hell_ping Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Title and Chapter: Ryuuou (or Ryuoh which was officially given) no Oshigoto!, Volume Chapter 2
    Author: Shirou Shiratori
    Type: Light Novel

Note: This is a Shogi LN

...U...nn...?"

Kok kok. Tok tok. I woke up to those sounds.

"...Smell of...miso soup?"

A homely scent reaches me, and I, who just woke up, is left confused

Strange? This is...where is this place?

"...Did I wander into Master's house? Keika-san's cooking...?"

Was I actually dreaming of the days when I was serving my discipleship? So I wondered, but it was not the case.

I opened my eyes, and found that it was the 2DK apartment I rented, the smartphone by my pillow indicating that it was almost noon.

"Ah...speaking of which, we played shogi until late into the night..."

Rather than late into the night, it would be more precise to say that it was almost dawn. The opponent was unable to withstand the sleepiness, and was drowsy, so we ended our match, and went to bed.

As for that opponent, I remember--

"Ah! Master! Good morning!"

I walked out of the bedroom, and an energetic voice immediately greeted me.

There was an elementary school girl dressed in an apron, standing at the kitchen.

"..."

I got to repeat this, since it's very important.

There's someone in the kitchen! In an apron!! An elementary school girl!! Standing there!!

"...Erm.""

"Ai! Ai Hinatsuru! I became your disciple yesterday!"

"Eh? No, I never said anything about taking disciples--"

"Breakfast is almost down here! Please enter the bath, Master!"

"B-bath?"

I entered the bathroom, with the elementary school girl pushing me from behind, and found that there was already hot water inside.

Ever since I started living by myself, I would take showers, so this might be the first time I had a leisure bath in my house. Also--

"There's some nice smell from the hot water..."

"Yes! I brought some 'Wakura Bath Salt' from home! It's a bath soap that contains minerals from our onsen! It can relieve fatigue and make people feel good♪"

Right, this kid's family owns an onsen inn...

An inn, but it felt like a luxurious hotel. That place won the top prize in Japan for consecutive years, and the Emperor himself lived there, or so I heard during Christmas Eve...

Huh?

Then, isn't this kid...some rich princess?

"Please put your dirty clothes in the basket there. I shall wash them later. Shall I put your change of clothes and the towel here?"

"Ah, yeah."

Before I knew it, this elementary school girl knew where the clothes and towels were at. This development surely isn't normal, but as I had just woken up, my head was still groggy.

It felt as though I arrived in a hotel, having a towel fight. I soaked myself in the bath salted water, and continued to enjoy this gracious care.

"Master! Breakfast is ready!"

"Ah, yes."

"I'll serve it immediately."

I had a nice good bath while the sun was high, and with much relief, sat at the short Japanese table as plain but intricately prepared, piping hot food was served before me. Such exceptional housemaking skills overwhelmed me,

"Sorry. I took the food from the fridge."

"It's fine..."

The scrumptious meal before my eyes stunned me, and I took the bowl. It was a hill of rice.

"Amazing. You prepared everything?"

"Yes! There was a lot of food in the fridge, so I can't help but use that much."

"What's this black thing?"

"Seaweed! Simmered Seaweed!" (TN: Nori no Tsukudani. Nori, or the Japanese term for edible seaweed. Tsukudani is basically food simmered in soy sauce and mirin.)

"Why is there simmered seaweed here?"

"I made it. There's dried seaweed and sauces here."

"Eh? You can make that at home?"

"A frying pan will do though?"

"I-I see...itadakimasu..."

"Sorry that it's just some simple dishes."

With the elementary school girl seated in a seiza, staring at me, I reached my chopsticks for the dishes.

So, let's see how it tastes--

"Um! This is delicious! You're amazing!"

"Ehehe♡"

Upon hearing me praise her, Ai looked really delighted, grinning like a puppy.

At the very least, it was different from how tentative she was the previous day.

I guess this was her true nature. Shogi could show the personality of an opponent, and this girl was a feisty one who would not back down. 100% full offense. Most female shogi players are like this, like anedeshi, and anedeshi, and anedeshi.

"Hm? Ai-chan, you aren't eating?"

"Yes! I have to serve you, Master! I'm the disciple!"

"Enough with that, let's eat together. You're hungry now, right?"

I was very concerned by her service. Besides, I never agreed to take her in as a disciple.

I had her sit opposite the table, and we faced each other as we had our meals.

"Then...erm, itadakimasu..."

"Yep."

"..."

"..."

...Just awkward.

There was a strange feeling as I face her, having this meal...no, I'm not getting excited by an elementary school girl? I just mean that I'm nervous, you know? You get it, right?

4. LostBMe

LostBMe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Title/Chapter: The Third, The Blue Eyed Sword Dancer, Chapter 6 (The Final Chapter)
    Author: Hoshino Ryou
    Type: LN
    Wanted to try something with scenery description. I hate scenery descriptions. I still can't get myself to like them.
    The Final Chapter
    And They Finally Meet​

The dawn broke.

Honoka dragged herself out from under her blanket, rubbing the sleep from her weary eyes. As she slowly awakened, she screamed; it was a blood-curdling screech.

“Hono-chan?” asked Millie worriedly.

“Is anything wrong!?” questioned Iks.

They peered into the cabin from the cockpit to see Honoka as she flusteredly held the blanket in front of her, hiding her body.

“Wha..I..I was sleeping like this all this time..!?”

Iks and Millie exchanged looks as they started giggling. Honoka had crashed as soon as she hit the cabin last night after her death match with the breakers. She had been total out for the duration.

They recalled the occurrence of the previous night.

“Hono-chan’s fallen asleep.”

“Yes, she has; definitely asleep.”

“Um-hum, she’s still in that naughty suit.”

“Hmm, well then, let’s hide it for her so it won’t be seen.”

--which is why she had been left dead to the night in her PSP inner suit with only a blanket covering her until morning.

“Y~~O~~U~~ L~~O~~O~~K~~E~~D~~D~~I~~D~~N~~T~~Y~~O~~U~~~~~~!!” growled Honoka.

“Oh! Hono-chan’s so scar~ry!” shrieked Millie, giggling.

The tank started, continuing its journey. Bogey had already retrieved the PSP last night and returned it to its station. Keeping all his tracking radars on full alert, the tank carefully commenced to creep its way pass the battlefields of the night before. Perhaps the blue breakers had already been recalled to the Third’s observation base as no one attacked Honoka’s team as they proceeded.

Making its way across the desert, the tank finally reached its journey’s end when the sun climbed to its apex. They had arrived at Iks’s destination.

Honoka pulled the tank to a halt when she saw the vast ravine spreading its darkness across her field of vision. It was the valley of steel, Midlang Valley; a crack in the earth that ran from the east to the west, as far as the eye can see.

A fissure erupting in the plains; a single breach stretching the land. From it, many cracks and creases ran along its length; weaving to and fro, the pattern that emerged seemed like a fishing net thrown haphazardly on the ground. Some of the cracks were so wide it was impossible to see the other side of the cliff.

Honoka jumped down from the tank with her sword in hand, taking in her surroundings.

“Oh….”, sighed Honoka, speechless at the sight before her. It was the first time Honoka had come to Midlang Valley. She had been to other places besides the desert, of course, but this grand canyon had quite the impact on her.

Compared to this canyon, Honoka, even the desert tank they rode, was so small; like a speckle of sand. She would get the same feeling when she was in the desert too but when she looked at the earth scarred so violently, it seemed to amplify her sense of anxiety. Even though she didn’t have a fear of heights, it would be very easy to imagine that the ground might crumble under her feet as she stood there on the cliff.

“……”

As absorbed as she had been with the sights before her eyes, she had not noticed that Iks had come to stand by her side. As their eyes met, Honoka offered him a feeble smile.

“Honoka-san”

“Mmm?”

“Are you aware of how this valley came into being?”

“How it came about...?” repeated Honoka. Unsure of the intention of his question, Honoka could only look questioningly at him.

“It was here..” Iks started to say before breaking off into silence. He looked at Honoka, smiling gently. His expression seemed somewhat melancholic.

“There was a great battle here. No way that any of you would be aware of this though as it was a long time ago.”

“Are you talking about the Great Wars?”

“Yes, it was a time of continuous destruction, which called upon itself even more destruction. It was only one of the battles amongst many during the times of the Great Wars. It was also, however, one of the greatest battles ever fought during that period. All the knowledge, skills and beliefs from the Old World were gathered to create these destructive weapons and they were deployed in this battle with no thoughts to its consequences. It released an energy force so immense as it even distorted spacetime itself,” explained Iks.

The earth’s crust had shifted as a result of the massive energy that caused the spacetime disturbance. The valley originally existed on land far from any fault lines or convection currents that might lend itself to any seismic activity. Thus, the valley’s creation was due solely to man-made causes tearing the ground asunder.

The cries of the earth could be heard with its birth. The strata laid naked on the face of the sheer cliffs that appeared as the ground tumbled down. The solid bedrock had melted in some places, while in others, the tremendous pressure had caused the rocks to fuse and harden.

“This was an event that should have taken place over a long period of time, naturally. And yet, it became a reality in such a short period of time. That’s how Midlang Valley, the valley of steel was created,” quietly said Iks.

It left Honoka speechless. It astounded her; that the surreal vision before her of the earth’s raw wound was a result of such a senseless event. It defied comprehension. And this unimaginable reality was all caused by the actions of mankind.

She had heard stories that the valley of steel had been created as a result of the Great Wars. It had been one of the many legends that abound in regards to this place. It would be so simple to dismiss Iks’s words as being part of these legends. But she wasn’t able to. The truth of his words rang out to her. She couldn’t say exactly why she believed him but she did. Yes, she knew ….that he was speaking the truth.

“So, why did they fight such a terrible war ?” she asked.

“Who knows. No one really knows why. I wanted to know why, though. I think that was why I came here. To this planet, that’s already been forsaken….,” he said softly. Iks’s voice faded as he spoke. Honoka was unable to hear the later part of his comment as it was so soft as to be a whisper.

“The powers of the Old World….,” said Honoka as she reflected on what had been revealed to her.

As she marveled at the great potential that the Old World must have possessed, she could help but be puzzled. The way Iks told his story, it was almost as if he, himself had been alive and experienced it firsthand. At least, that was how it sounded to Honoka.

The war had taken place many, many centuries ago. It was so long ago that cities had been reduced to rubble, forming the sand dunes. The Old World was so long past that no one alive could know what it must have been like. Even The Thirds only knew of the Old World as a compilation of knowledge, not as an actual reality.

Honoka felt choked, desolation overwhelmed her. Regardless of what sort of civilization it might have been, the Old World was, in a way, the highest pinnacle that mankind – that any sentient being on this planet, had ever achieved. If they had not abused that power, then it would have been a gift that all being, not just humans, could have enjoyed. But the only power they used here was for pure destruction. Causing the demise of countless lives and dooming their futures. All that knowledge and skill that should have been used to open the gates of tomorrow ended up being used to destroy any future that might have been.

5. xzpwnz

xzpwnz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Title and Chapter: Manuke FPS (マヌケなFPSプレイヤーが異世界へ落ちた場合), Prologue
    Author: 地雷原
    Relying solely on the bright light of luminescent flowers, I walk alone in the dark labyrinth of the underground path. I keep an eye on the map of my headgear's goggles, holding both of my hands firmly on the butt of my FN P90, loosening them, then tightening them again.

Every step forward, it looks like the front direction of the underground labyrinth's map expands, and there is a red spot indicating an enemy. There are two spots of light in front──another three more behind. If I continue on like this, I'll probably clash with the enemies at the next right corner.

The pace of my progress naturally quickens, from walking to running. I'm conscious of the red spots at the corner of my vision, determining the correct positions of my enemies, and right before the corner I use the strength and speed of my run to gracefully jump. I rotate my body to the right in the air, and immediately use the P90 to perform an ADS (Aim Down Sight, aiming through the scope), instantly aligning the aim to the origin of the red spot──a Goblin's head, and began to shoot at it while in the air.

I don't need to confirm whether the Goblin fell. With an accurate aim on the enemy's head, a three-shot burst of 5.7 x 28mm bullets successfully made a HS (Headshot, hitting the head). When I recognized that fact at that moment, the Goblin was already dead.

In the process of jumping a burst killed the first Goblin. I then immediately release the ADS, and when my body falls, move my goggles to the head of the other Goblin. In a moment of urgency I stabilized the gun while my mind was focused on the Goblin's head, once again using ADS, pulling the trigger.

Under the effect of the silencer, the gun issued a low-emission muffled sound, and I landed on the ground of the underground path, directly kneeling down. I switched the P90's shooting mode from automatic to semi-automatic, and from behind the frightened and uncomprehending face of the Goblin's own death from my sudden jump, I saw the three remaining enemies' shadows.

In the back were three Grass Wolves, I went into an ADS right in front of them, continuously pulling the trigger twice. Then immediately turning my head, the Grass Wolves' heads to the right had two shots, but the last surviving grass wolf to the left has long been approaching.

A Grass Wolf's body was many times larger than the average dog or wolf, if it came with a frontal assault it'd be difficult to block──kneeling on the ground I also leaned forward, and propelled myself forward into a run. However, I didn't run forward, but obliquely in front of the underground path's wall.

I climbed up the wall in a run, escaping the Grass Wolf's assault, and jumped to the other wall. Rotating 180 degrees in the air, the high-speed movement of my mind pauses on the back of the Grass Wolf's head.

I shot through the perfect handling of my aim, the bullet hitting the back of the Grass Wolf's head.

The bodies of the Goblins were covered in a black mist from the underground path and sank into the ground. I saw this scene and didn't forget to check the map to confirm that there were no other points of light or enemies, determining my current safety, reloading the P90 and throwing away the magazine with some bullets remaining.

The thrown magazine fell to the ground before turning into particles of light, disappearing from this world.

I picked up the special stones that remained in place where the Goblins had sunk into the underground path. Picking up the three in front of me, before picking up the stones dropped by the Goblins behind.

Magic stone──this was the residual reward from bringing down enemies in an underground labyrinth. This kind of stone is just like what you'd get from a game after the end of a battle, and it is a necessary item if I want to survive in this world.

One day, my life changed dramatically. I originally had a job, also having the interests of youths, naturally dreaming of having a family and planning for the future, living my own life.

But now, my identity is a FPS player.
    Years back I translated the prologue of the WN version of this novel as a teaser, so today I did the LN to necro the thread.
    Hopefully someone picks the damned novel up. I enjoyed this one.
    Also, translator drama has been fucking ridiculous lately. I miss the days where people used to translate for fun instead of for money.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    asriu and LostBMe like this.
  6. Barnnn

Barnnn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Title and Chapter: Monster Hunter - Senkou no Kariudo, Volume 1 Prologue Scene 1
    Author: Keiichi Hikami

It was a rugged structure.

Inside a stone building, both the walls and the floor were unadorned, with only a few table sets placed throughout.

There weren’t any unnecessary decorations. Instead, the place is filled with essentials for hunters. Delicious food and drinks, friends to be made, and information on monsters.

Hunters do not gather here with the intention to seek out pretty ornaments. That is why business is thriving as usual today, in the City of Dundorma’s largest tavern.

And as usual, a certain boy shows up in this bustling tavern. He is here to meet up with his companions. Today however, the man whom the boy came to meet has made an abrupt declaration.

“As of today, our party is disbanded!”

Even though today was supposed to be just another day like yesterday. The boy- Raiga, widened his eyes in response to those words.

As he had taken off his helmet and placed it next to himself on the table, the boy’s profile could be seen clearly. His hair is in dark brown, short and slightly messy. He has a small face, with each and every part clearly defined.

Those obsidian pupils showed strong determination. His nasal bridge is low, and it looks quite charming. Usually, his mouth would be locked in a cheerful smile, but at this moment, it is gaping open in disbelief.

Equipped on his body is a hunter’s armor set designed for swordfighters. Kut-Ku Series. As the armor is made up of vermillion monster shells, the blue decorative strings stand out when tied to necessary parts.

The weapon he is carrying is called Golem Blade+. Its main components are Medium-sized Monster Bones and Sharp Claws- It is a Great Sword.

Its rugged appearance gives an impression of a piece of bone sharpened into a blade with just a handle attached. Also, it is big. Although its length is as long as an average person is tall, Raiga carried it on his back like it was nothing.

Not seeming to notice Raiga’s dumbfounded reaction, the man continued talking.

“You all have worked hard! Build on the experience you have gained, and do your best as you walk separate paths from tomorrow onwards!”

The man said his words of gratitude with burning passion, shedding emotional tears.

Raiga and the others are hunters who use this city as the base of operations for their work. Hunters often go out on hunts in parties. Every morning, the first thing Raiga does after waking up is to come check the tavern in order to decide what to do for the day.

If the members are free and a good request is posted, they would go out hunting. Some hunters prefer to act together with the same people in a cohesive group, but Raiga’s team is fairly loose, with the members gathering depending on each individual’s consent.

If it’s not convenient to meet up, the boy would either take a day off or go out on easy quests that can be done solo. There are also days when he would go out on Harvest Tours at nearby hunting grounds in order to replenish resources. By doing this, each person is self-sufficient.

To gather or to disband- each person is free to make their decisions. The group kept that agreement in mind as they act together. However, if one were to leave, they should still be obligated to complete their duties. Still, the time spent together has been cut short with today’s abrupt announcement.

One member’s reason was that her parents are growing old, so they asked her to go back to their village. It is something that can’t be helped.

The second person, it seems like he’s being pulled into another party. But it’s nothing interesting, since on the other side is the man’s lover.

And the third, a Hunting Horn user, has recently awakened to his passion for music, so he intends to change his profession from being a hunter to become a musician. Looks like he dreams of performing behind the Diva.

With all that said, before he could even know what is what, Raiga is left alone. His former companions said this as their parting words to the dumbfounded Raiga as they left the tavern: “You do your best, too.”

For a while, Raiga couldn’t move even when he’s the only one left. It felt like just half a day has passed since the time when he didn’t know left to right in Dundorma. There are so many things to worry about that he lost count. Even so, looking at the rear view of former comrades departing from the tavern, rebellious spirit burst forth from the depths of his heart.

As if it was lit up only halfway,

“If this is how it’s going to be, then I’ll do this by myself until I drop!”

The boy shouted, his fighting spirit bursting into a raging fire.

I'm currently translating the OG Monster Hunter LN, and I'm planning to pick this series up as a side project after completing Volume 2 if I have the time to do so.

The rest of the prologue is on Google Drive, by the way. Copy-pasting on a phone is a bit too tedious for my liking.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByTOB0gqvyjtYXY3V0Q0bFJYdnM/view?usp=sharing

7. Barnnn

Barnnn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Title and Chapter: Monster Hunter - Cross Soul, Volume 1 Prologue Scene 1
    Author: Gorou Seino

A dry wind blew through the village, swaying the low grass and briefly raising the dropped flags.
    Lined up along the grassy plain are stone houses with distinctive round roofs.
    Wooden stalls and shops with simple roofings stood between those stone buildings, as if to fill the empty spaces between them.
    If one were to turn their eyes to the distance, they would see snowy gray-brown mountains fill the horizon, as if they were acting as border between the green prairie and the blue sky.
    Bherna Village is such a place.

Merchant carts, having stopped at the village's entrance for a while, started their departure.
    A girl faced the departing trade caravan, bowing deeply once then waving them goodbye until they were out of sight.
    "Ngh~~~...! We're finally here~~!"
    Lifting her body and raising her hands up as if to reach for the heavens, the girl extended her spine that had curled down from all the sitting and stretched her stiffened muscles.
    Puhaa, she exhaled a large breath with great force, her beloved lance, the Naag Serpentblade, collided with the handle of three daggers sheathed on her shoulder, ringing lightly with a metallic sound.
    Her name is Sonia. A fledgling hunter with no more than two years of hunting experience.
    Worn on her body are armor parts of the Spio Series designed for famale hunters, made from various unusual insects that live in cold regions with the main component being Toxic Kumori.
    Looking at her face that showed a slight sign of fatigue, veiled under the Spio Vertex, one could see that she is still at the young age of 17.
    "Finally arrived, nyaaa~"
    To Sonia's side, her Palico stretched in the same manner as its master, then knocked on its own waist.
    "What's up with that, Thykka? You're like an old person."
    "Uh, nya...... We just got here and all nya, but I'm already tired, nya."
    Thykka looked up and sighed, its voice having a mixed tone of tiredness and dissatisfaction, but one wouldn't be able to know its facial expression due to the F Malfestio Mask obscuring its whole head.
    "Well, that's true."
    I'm tired too, Sonia muttered, cracking her neck.
    More than ten days have passed since they set out on their journey, headed for Bherna Village.
    Sometimes on foot, sometimes on ships, and most recently, they spent the past few days coming here on a merchant cart, loaded up together with the goods.
    It was simply a long, tiring journey. No one could possibly be on a constantly rocking cart for days without tiring out, not even hunters who have experienced harsh hunts.
    "After all that, I wish we'd taken an airship."
    Sonia muttered as she let out a short sigh.
    "Where are you even going to get the money from, nya?"
    Thykka sighed at Sonia's grumblings.
    Feeling her pal's rebellious attitude, Sonia glanced at Thykka briefly before looking away.
    After all, what Thykka said was a fact; Sonia and the cat barely had any cash on hand. That was why they had to cut any travel expenses they could, having no choice but to spend a long journey as a result.
    Ignoring her pal's bickerings, Sonia one again turned her line of sight to her surroundings.
    Outside of the village to the west, she could see a limestone structure in the distance, illuminated by the waning sunlight.
    "That's the Wycademy."
    Previously painted with an expression of fatigue on her face, Sonia regained a slight amount of vitality.
    "Well then, let's go."
    Prompting Thykka to move, something crossed the road right before Sonia's eyes while making a chilling sound.
    "Oops, sor...ry?"
    Raising her face after giving a reflexive apology, what stood there was not a person, but rather a Moofah.
    Meh.
    While Sonia was still dumbfounded, that Moofah, tied with a light blue ribbon, made a brief noise as if to say "Don't worry about it" before calmly stepping away.
    "Young mistress... That was embarrassing, nya."
    "Shut up!"
    In response to Thykka's extra snark, she brought down her knuckles on its head.
    Her gaze following the same Moofah's back, in addition to him(?), she could see several more Moofahs taking strolls around the village.
    Sonia could do nothing but laugh with a bitter smile at the sight of those Moofahs swaggering among people as if it was normal.
    The two who watched over him then started walking, headed towards the Wycademy.
    The passing villagers obviously looked at those two who were eqipped with hunter gear, but other than that they just kept on walking without much concern.
    In small villages, hunters would be eye-catching existences, but that is probably not the case for Bherna Village.
    The place called Wycademy is a facility that can be considered the front line of monster research, so the people here most likely got used to the numerous hunters who gathered there.
    ("Well, it's not like anyone here knows about me though.")
    The girl actually felt a little pleasant that nobody reacted to her.

Another book from the Monster Hunter series. The most recent, still-ongoing one.
    Translated just this scene for a slight change of pace, but if the book turns out to be good, I'll consider picking this one up instead of Senkou.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Action likes this.
  8. Hell_ping

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I still have this thread?

Let's do this:

Title and Chapter: Tomorrow I will die, you will Revive, Sunrise and Sunset Story Chapter 1
    Author: Maru Fuji

CUT 1 – Yukiko, looking for the special one to Big Brother.

The exchange journal.

It refers to the journal shared by many, which the users take turns to write in.

——

It’s very sudden, but since Spring this year, I started having an exchange journal.

With a high school girl who’s seventeen years old, somewhat.

Not only does it describe our daily lives, it also contains our topic topics and grumbling. There’s a lot of variety in the topics we talk about, ranging from random talk to dirty talk. She’s good at drawing illustrations, and included some cute ones, always writing my journal until it’s really pretty. I guess she spent lots of time on it.

Well, I guess that with such an introduction, it won’t be surprising to have all the unpopular virgins in the country say “I’m so jealous!” “I want an exchange journal with a high school girl!”

Unfortunately, there were two points that are definitely not normal about this exchange journal between me and her

First off, the first point.

This first point is what makes it different from an ordinary exchange journal.

That is, this person I’m sharing the exchange journal with, this ‘Hikari Yumesaki’, is a super miraculous idiot.

“Are you kidding me…”

It’s four months into the start of the exchange journal, on a certain morning during summer vacation.

I was immediately blasted by her—‘Hikari Yumesaki’.

“Good morning Sakamoto! Did you give a nice scary face today? I wanted to go for remedials today, but the weather’s too good today! So? I ended up skipping class and went to the local pool before I knew it. Sorry☆ here’s some psychokinesis!”

“What is this psychokinesis…?”

As indicated in this journal entry, I don’t know whether to say if this girl’s just dumb or stupid. She’s always doing stupid things, causing trouble for those around her. A few days ago, she did something really stupid while online shopping a few moments back. She wrote 10 as 100 mistaken, and I got a 100 mouse pads. Anyway, is there a need for 10 of these? What does she need them for?

“She’s always causing trouble for others.”

I sighed as I continued to read.

But if she’s just an ordinary idiot girl, I personally wouldn’t feel bad about it. Skip remedials and go to school? Haha, what an idiot—if only I could just laugh it off. But unfortunately, I have a reason as to why I can’t laugh this off.

And that’s the second point that makes this different from an ordinary exchange journal.

Thus, number two.

That second points which made it different from an ordinary journal.

That would the fact that Hikari Yumesaki herself was already dead, and yesterday’s me was her.

…Well, I guess even the smart ones won’t be able to understand, but I’m not lying. It’s true.

It was a certain rainy day in early April when Hikari Yumesaki died before me in a traffic accident. Back then, I was coerced by a mysterious being who asked me “Will you give up half your life to save her?” and so I answered, “bring it on.”. But—

In the end, Hikari Yumesaki revived in the extremely troublesome ‘occupying my body every alternate day’ manner.

So, in other words, I can live normally, but tomorrow, my body and consciousness will be occupied by Hikari Yumesaki. During this time, we won’t have each other’s memories, so the actual experience inside the body is reduced by half. This is what it means by my lifespan was reduced by half. It sounds nice. Hahahahaha…haha…ha.

So we started having a life of two personalities in one body. We need to share one body, so we never spoke to each other before. We have an exchange journal, and through using it, we get to live a peaceful life of two personalities in one body, without anyone else finding out.

…So I thought back then.

Drawing consciousness to the journal in my hands, I continued reading—

“—Now then, this is where the real problem is…to be honest, when I was going back, well old habits die hard, and I return to the girls changing room! The police was called in, and it was really bad, but I managed run all the way home in Bermuda trunks! Praise me now, praise me now♥”

“Who’s gonna praise you now, you idiot!? What did you do in my body—“

Faced with this idiotic journal entry from yesterday’s me, I couldn’t help but growl, “Uuuuughhhh…” and look up to sigh,

“I told you over and over again to remember that you’re a guy…”

Well, as indicated in this journal entry, our daily lives of two souls in one body is always in jeopardy. It’s commonplace for yesterday’s me to barge into a girl’s changing room. Over the past few months, I had been triggering all kinds of crazy event flags.

“But I kind of happy about it. I won’t nitpick about it.”

“As apology, Hikari here will draw all she saw in the girls’ changing room! Ehehe, as thanks, just give me five boxes of Koala Marches, partner!” The journal entry then stated. I could only sigh hard when faced with these words and the R18 illustrations—why do I have to thank her for this illustration she drew to make up for her mistake—so I mutter. She’s a stubborn one.

I continued to grumble as per every morning, and finally arrived at the basin to wash my face. Yep, at this point, I finally had a feeling that ‘the day has finally started’.

“You finally woke up, brother.”

I thought as I arrived at the living room, only to be met by these words. The girl watching the TV in the living room turned over to me with an unhappy look.

“Morning, Yukiko.”

“It’s noon already. Even if it’s summer vacation, that’s too lax of you.”

I lazily greeted her, and she answered with a scowl. Argh, looks like she’s as peeved as usual.

This would be my little sister who started attending Middle School in Spring this year, Yukiko Sakamoto.

Her unique characteristics would be her petite body and her short bobcut on both front and back of her head, her large, moist eyes always glittering, and a very cute face. If she did smile, she probably would be very popular in class.

Right, if she smiled.

Yukiko’s always aloof, or always fuming away; in any case, she’s not good at interacting with others. Thanks to that, she hardly had a friend, and even in Summer vacation, she’s holed up at home. Deary me, this wasted lifestyle is so like her big brother. Dear pitiful soul. It’s…damn it.

“Where’s mom?”

I wiped the tears from my eyes as I asked Yukiko, and the reply was still the same old disgruntled voice.

“Mom left early today due to sudden work. If you get it, go make breakfast. Yukiko’s hungry.”

Like usual, Yukiko scowled as she answered.

“Seriously. Yukiko hasn’t had breakfast because you overslept, brother. You’re useless.”

“Yes yes, I’m sorry.”

Yukiko grumbled away, and I answered tersely as I put on the apron. Yep, it’s going as usual today.

“Are you reflecting on what you did? Be grateful that Yukiko never woke you up.”

“Oh, right.”

She continued to grumble, but it’s commonplace, and I didn’t mind too much. So, what to make for noon? Hmm, fridge…nothing.

“Besides, think of how you should be treating your little sister, brother. You’re always causing trouble.”

“Ah, yeah.”

Veggies. Maybe some fried rice.

“Shouldn’t you be grateful to have a wonderful little sister? Yukiko’s unhappy about this.”

“Ah, maybe.”

Need oil for the frying pan—eh? Where’s the oil?

“If-if that’s what you think, show some more love to your little sister…li-like a pat on the head, or a hug. You really can’t read the mood, brother.”

“Ahh, yeah.”

Whelps. We ran out of oil. Mom, what have you been doing all day?

“I-if you understand, get to it now. Should be fine as long as you’re able to go all ‘ahhh~ummm♥’’.”

“Yep, I’ll get to that later.”

No choice here. I got bread, so let’s make sandwiches. It’s all vegetables, but it’ll be healthy for the body.”

“If-if you can do this much, Yukiko will service you too, brother…li-like a shower together or something…”

“Yep, not easy.”

I didn’t bother much about Yukiko’s usual endless rants as I stuffed the vegetables between the bread, and sliced them into small blocks. There’s butter spread on the bread, and it’s a trick to prevent the bread from being all soggy.

And so, after about five minutes.

I served the made sandwich on a plate and laid it before Yukiko. Come on, just eat now, little sister.

“..” “…”

But Yukiko wasn’t in the mood.

“? What, Yukiko. You’re not eating?”

“I am.”

“..” “…”

Eh, then why aren’t you doing anything? And anyway, why’s your face blushing?

“Hu-hurry up. Nobody else is looking.”

“Hm? What?”

……Hmmm?

“Ah.”

That thing? She’s waiting for her brother to start first? Is this it?

Well well well, I do think of her as someone who only knows how to grumble, but this is heartbreaking, isn’t it? I’ll tuck in then.

“Then, I’ll go ahead—”

I pick up the tomato sandwich and took a huge bite. Yep, even I find it nice. Come on, Yukiko. You can eat me. Hm? Why’s she closing her eyes while blushing, with her mouth slightly opened? Hmmm? Why did she open her eyes and widen them once she saw me eating it? Hmmm? Why’s she giving a pose? Hm? Eh? That’s?

Ehh—this…isn’t good?

“Why did you start eating already, you stupid brother—!?”

“Ehhhhh—!?”

And in the next instant.

A sudden punch landed on my head, and I collapsed. Yukiko wolfed down her sandwich, saying, “And it’s because of how you are that you’re always a virgin, brothers!” she then slipped back to her room on the second floor. Eh, ehhh?

“What’s she getting at…I don’t understand at all…”

My little sister’s weirdness caused me to tilt my head, but at the very least, she’s entering puberty—I didn’t think much further at this point as I munched down on the sandwich. She’s a strange little sister.

Well, that’s how it is. I got beaten by my little sister for some weird reason, but my summer vacation was proceeding rather smoothly. It’s always like this, but the two personalities in one body life with Hikari Yumesaki would never continue without obstruction.

Two days later, the me on the next day hastily started an incident somewhere I didn’t know of.

And she involved my little sister—Yukiko Sakamoto.

“Impossible.”

On a certain day, when July was about to end.

It was supposed to be an ordinary day during Summer vacation, but something suddenly happened.

Yukiko’s holed up in her own room, crouched in a corner, pondering over what just happened.

She never expected such a thing to happen.

No way. Yukiko herself couldn’t believe such a reality.

“Brother…why did he do such a thing?”

That immature, timid big brother of Yukiko still a hidden handsome dude. The long hair was nice to smell, and the muscular body’s super sexy. Yukiko never expected him to actually do such a thing.

“Sniffles...”

Truly, it’s weird. Yukiko herself can’t believe such a reality. Yukiko can’t accept it.

So,

“No matter what, Yukiko needs to investigate that.”

Regarding the one and only big brother Yukiko dearly loved.

That big brother’s—

“Special one.”

“Brother wrapped a present. He said it’s for a special someone. But recently, the present disappeared from the table.”

“Hm?”

It’s the afternoon.

With the crickets crisping, Yukiko rides on a bicycle with sweat all over Yukiko’s back, finally arriving at the Sakurahime High School brother studies at. Of course, Yukiko’s objective is brother…no, the infirmary.

At the south side of the school, where the sun’s shining way too much on, there’s an infirmary on the first floor.

Yukiko doesn’t enter, but approaches from the outer fence, peeping in through the window. Yukiko sees the school nurse playing her cellphone game elegantly. She doesn’t seem to have noticed Yukiko, and through the opened window, Yukiko call out,

“I’m looking into where a present has gone to. Do you have a clue?”

She sees Yukiko here, and looks really happy for some strange reason, beaming as she says to me,

“Ufufu, before that, do you mind introducing who you are, cute Missy?”

“Yukiko Sakamoto. The little sister of Akitsuki Sakamoto from class 2-2.”

“! Eh, Sakamoto…”

At that moment, she immediately shows a stunned look, and then she walks to the window, smiling brighter than before. Hmph, what’s she getting at?”

“Oh, I see. So Akitsuki does have a little sister.”

Sutera Higumo.

She’s the school nurse of Sakurahime High School big brother has, an infamous witch who tempts male students with her sexy body.

Back in Spring, Yukiko was stalk…ahem, Yukiko was carrying out the mission to watch over big brother, and Yukiko saw their bodies intertwined. Back then, Yukiko was really troubled, wondering how Yukiko could split her stomach out in one go.

“Ufufu, how cute. Your eyebrows at exactly the same as Sakamoto.”

“D-do-don’t touch Yukiko!”

She reaches her hand through the window, and strokes my eyebrows with her fingers. Yukiko waves her hand off angrily. This fragrance from a girl instantly gets me dizzy. Hmph, Yukiko’s being teased.

“Ufufu. Sorry here.”

Ah goodness. Now she’s showing off by opening up the cleavage under her white coat, showing those sexy thighs too. What’s wrong with this school? Big brother’s still a hungry virgin. He needs to be more careful.

“So you’re going around to ask to whom your brother gave that present too?”

“Yes.”

“Hm, I see so. So then…”

The school nurse that shakes her long ponytail, showing a bold smile—

Hm?

“…Just to ask, why are you looking into where the present went, Yukiko?”

She asked such a question.

“N-no special reason at all.”

“Hm, heh. I see. Ufufu, Akitsuki sure has it tough.”

Grrrrr. She’s infuriating Yukiko.

“And then? Are you suspecting that I’m that ‘special one’?”

“Yep. Brother has lots of H videos involving school nurses, so Yukiko thinks the chances of it being a teacher is very high.”

“Heh—…”

Yukiko oftens check on brother’s computer. Yukiko really need to put in lots of effort just to crack the password for his secret video folder. It’s just that sometimes, the tag for the folder name will change into ‘The capacity of this folder is 5 GB. Please explain yourself as much as you want’ or ‘the last modified time of this folder was 8.45am in the morning. What in the world have you been doing in the morning’ or ‘speaking of which, 8.45am yesterday is the airing time of Hikari’s pretty girl airing time. Maybe the anime of little girls makes you want to…’ well, stuff like that. It does feel like some self-roasting lampshading.

“That’s not all. Recently, brother said ‘this is unforgivable’ when he read the news on a doctor taking photos, but the next day, he’s already wearing a white robe, “Yukiko-chan! Let’s play doctor here! So be shy here and loosen up your clothes. Hahaha.” It’s really disgusting.”

But speaking about brother, Yukiko never thought he would boldly carry out diagnosis like this…kya ♥.

“I see. So Akituski does have such a fetish. Doctor huh…sounds like it’s worth a shot. Ufufu.”

Hmph. Why is she giving just a lewd look? Looks like Yukiko gave her too much information.

“Leaving that aside, may Yukiko ask if you have received brother’s present?”

“Hm? If that’s the case, you may relax. Unfortunately, I didn’t receive anything.

…Oh.”

“Just relax for now, sweetie Yukiko.”

“Hmph…”

The school nurse continues on as she strokes me with her delicate fingers. Hmph.

“Th-that’s it for now. Sorry to trouble you. Bye then.”

Yukiko has a feeling that Yukiko will be toyed by her if Yukiko continue to stay here. In any case, Yukiko has to retreat as soon as possible.

“Ufufu. Now hold on a moment, Yukiko.”

So Yukiko thought, but for some reason, she caught Yukiko from behind by mythe back.

What, what now?

“You know, recently, Akitsuki hasn’t been coming over to the infirmary. So this teacher here is really lonely.”

“So-so what?”

“Yeah. You see, when I see how you look so alike to Akitsuki, my heart just flutters, Yukiko.”

“Huh?”

Eh, wh-what’s she saying—

“So, Yukiko…”

The school nurse says as she holds down Yukiko’s neck from the back—

“How about a doctor play…with this teacher here?”

—Phew

“Hiiieee---!?”

No no no. Don’t blow into Yukiko’s ear like that!?

“Ufufu. Your drool’s oozing.”

D-don’t caress Yukiko’s face! Why’s she giving the look of a reptile finding its prey! Why is she reaching her fingers into Yukiko’s mouth!? Th-this woman’s very dangerous after all!

“Yu-Yu- Yu-Yu- Yu-Yu-Yukiko shall take her leave!”

“Ah!”

Yukiko hurriedly waves off her hand, and run off without turning back. Anyway, Yukiko has to retreat from here first.

Th-that was close…Yukiko’s about to lose something very important. There’s some disgusting sweat coming out…

“Got to be wary of her. Yukiko has to tell brother too…”

Leaving that aside, Yukiko can be sure that she didn’t receive it. In any case, Yukiko can relax.

In that case…

“Next target, that woman.”

“Big brother wrapped a present. He wrapped it for a special someone. It disappeared from the table recently thought.”

“Eh?”

After leaving the high school, Yukiko arrives at a nearby park.

There are few facilities there, but there’s a nice bench and flower bed. It’s a large park with e peaceful atmosphere. There, I ask the person who’s playing with a large pet dog.

“Yukiko’s looking into where the present went to. Do you have any clues?”

“We-went to…?”

Kasumi Sanada.

The classmate to Yukiko’s big brother, a bitch with braids. This witch took away big brother’s lips, and inflicted an unforgettable trauma to Yukiko. Yukiko was waving her fists in happiness when she learned this witch got dumped. In any case, she’s just one friend with benefits. Serves her right ♪.

“Sa-Sakamoto prepared a present?”

“Yeah. But it’s gone now.”

She gives an uneasy look, shaking those stupidly large knockers. They’re an eyesore.

Yukiko will never forget the matter of big brother bringing her home. Back then, she actually saying,

“I hope you’ll call me sister.”

That’s ridiculous…uggh, I really wanted to squeeze out all the blood in her body from those tits of hers like milk. No way will I call her sister even if I die.

“Well brother loves big brothers. He was watching a model show on TV recently and said ‘size doesn’t matter’, but the next day, he was yelling, “I could have touched my friends’ breasts however I wanted last time! Is this a symptom of taboo~? I wanna bury my face into the breasts!

What’s with the ‘last time’? And after that, he said, “In that case, let’s get Yukiko-chan…that’s a little too…”Yukiko really wanted to beat her breasts swollen. Even Yukiko is an A cup…sniffles.

“Does Sakamoto want to…bury his face in tits……I would have been popular…”

“What did you just say?”

Yukiko seem to have heard something Yukiko couldn’t miss out on!

“Ah, i-it’s nothing at all! Then, are you asking, if I received the present?”

“Yeah. Do you have a clue?”

Yukiko be honest. If this woman’s the special one, Yukiko is already mentally prepared to commit crime. She stole big brother’s lips…”

“Uu, I didn’t receive any present…who did Sakamoto give it to…?”

Serves you right. Enjoy it. Yukiko shall let you live for today.”

“Yu-Yukiko. What kind of present is it?”

“Eh?”

While Yukiko’s cheering hard quietly inside my heart, that woman suddenly asks Yukiko this question.

“Ah, th-that…Yukiko only saw the box. Yukiko doesn’t know what’s inside.”

“I see. Uu, it’s not for me…Sakamoto.”

Of course. He’s just toying with you.

“Who did he give it too? This is frustrating. If I find out, I’ll definitely…”

……

Wh-what are you going to say!? This one’s really terrifying!!

“Th-this is all Yukiko has to say! Yukiko shall get going then!”

“I guess. Well, whatever. It’s my fault for liking him so much. In that case, I’ll just have to be forceful…(mutters).”

Yukiko tries to bid farewell to that woman who isn’t listening to anything at this point, and walks away. Her eyes just look scary. It’s best for Yukikonot to get involved with such a person.

But.

“Ugh…”

The large dog who was playing around with the braids girl suddenly blocks the park entrance.

Uu, Yukiko’s really terrible at handling animals. It’s a big Golden Retriever too. That fur color’s the same as its master. Really annoying.

“Shoo, shoo shoo. Over there!”

Yukiko gesture with hands to chase it away, but it continues to glare back.

No, no no no. It’s not Yukiko’s fault that your master’s giving such a scary look, you know? You’re mistaken, so can you please don’t look here…hya!?

“Wait, ho-hold on! Yaaaaahhhhh—!?”

“Woof woof!”

This annoying premonition becomes reality.

That dumb dog approaches Yukiko, at leaps over. And—

“Yahhhhh!? Wait, no! Don’t lick there!”

This perverted dog shoves Yukiko, and even ruffles my clothing to lick Yukiko!

“No, please! Stop! Don’t lick there!”

Let go of Yukiko! Arggh! Is this dog as sick in the mind as its master!?

“Wait, ow-owner! Help! Yukiko’s skirt is in trouble here!”

If Yukiko doesn’t hurry, Yukiko’s panties will…!

Yukiko continues to plead for help, but the dog owner is completely engrossed in her own world. A cold light is coming out from her eyes as she continues to murmur—

“I won’t lose to anyone else if it’s bust size…I’ll just act like it’s an accident and show Sakamoto—”

What is she mumbling about?

“Wait—! S-seriously, save Yukiko! This is really bad here!”

Yukiko’s about to be wiped out right behind that stupid owner.

This pervert dog! If this…stop it! Yukiko butt’s weak here!

“H-help!!”

“This is irresistible…how do I create this coincidence…?”

“Please! Save me! I promise I won’t slander you on the blogs again!”

“I’m good at faking falls; I’ll just have to practice being unable to get up after I pretend to fall…”

“Wait, please, really, save Yukiko—”

“And then, with the ‘mouth mixing skill’ I tried’—”

Ahh, really!

“Save me—‘si-sister’!!”

“Eh? You’re calling me—ahhh! Wh-what are you doing, Rito!? Come here!?”

Thanks to the owner rushing over, this Yukiko with her clothes all messed up is saved down. Anyway, what was that? That dog name reminds of me a certain harem protagonist’s name. These two are bitches!

After that, Yukiko continues to tell off that bitch who continues to apologize, and finally head off to the next destination. Uuu…Yukiko’s butt still itchy from that stupid dog licking. It actually licked yukiko with enthusiasm…how indecent!

But well, since Yukiko got intel, Yukiko shall forget about it.

“Doesn’t look like she’s the special someone.”

In that case, after that is…

“Brother wrapped a present. He said it’s for someone special. Recently it vanished from the table though.”

“Eh?”

In this sweltering heat, Yukiko continues to cycle for another 15 minutes. Yukiko’s completely worn out as she finally arrives at a lone house.

Yukiko presses the doorbell, introduces herself to the aunt coming out, and waits at the corridor for about ten seconds. The person slowly walking out is the next target. It’s already summer, and he’s still dressed in long sleeve clothing. He’s a thorough weirdo.

“Yukiko’s looking into where a present went. Do you have a clue?”

“A present, huh?”

Upon hearing this question, he folds his arms, and start to think.

Takayuki Kazeshiro.

He is brother’s friend, and a handsome one at that. Brother’s relationship with Kazeshiro is so intimate that he had Yukiko stalk Kazeshiro. Recently, brother has been muttering, “Always with those weird pranks…maybe I should get Kazeshiro to be mindful of this. He’s the only one who knows our secret.” Yukiko doesn’t know what that means, but to brother, Kazeshiro’s the one special person to us in the world. As expected, men…drools.

“Hm? You’re blushing. Are you alright?”

“Eh, no-nothing at all! Yukiko isn’t having some strange delusion here!”

That was close, really close. As to be expected of Kazeshiro; he’s able to pick up on the delicate parts.

Yukiko still remember the time when Yukiko first spoke to him. He came to our house, met Yukiko, and actually said, “Ah, isn’t this the cute little sister of yours?” He said that before brother! Awesome! Keep praising Yukiko!

“Is that so? Anyway, you’re asking about the present, right? Sorry, but I know nothing about it.”

“Really? Yukiko thought it will be with you, Kazeshiro…”

“No no, that’s impossible.”

Kazeshiro shakes his head weakly.

No no, that’s completely possible. Very possible in fact.

“It was just a while when Yukiko found BL doujins under brother’s bed. Also, ‘When will Takayuki Kazeshiro push down Akitsuki Sakamoto?’ Yukiko heard him mutter this really seriously. The chances of this is very high.”

“…Hm, is that so…?”

Why doesn’t Kazeshiro look happy to be answering this? No way, this has to be an act. Yukiko has been eavesdropping whenever he was in brother’s room, and heard brother ask him,

“You got someone you like, Kazeshiro?”

“Eh, wh-what’s with that out of a sudden…?”

“Well, Akitsuki Sakamoto is a pretty nice guy. You don’t have interest in him?”

“Not—at all.”

…That’s the part. That ‘not at all’ part really sounds like a tsundere. The dream continues to grow…

“But a present, huh?”

While Yukiko’s indulging in delusions, Kazeshiro starts to think with a serious look.

“Hmm…‘which side’ is giving the present?”

Hm? Which side? What do you mean?”

His strange explanation has Yukiko tilting her head in confusion. At this moment, Kazeshiro bends down and asks with a serious look,

“Hey little sister. When—did that present vanish?”

Wh-when was it?

“Which day the present disappeared. I guess he gave it to someone. When was that day?”

“Eh, ah, that…”

U-uh oh…

“R-re…recently.”

“I want to know the exact date. Even if it’s a day off, the significance differs greatly.”

“Th-th…that’s…”

Wh-why is he so particular about the date?

“So-sorry. Yukio couldn’t remember.”

“Really? Oh well. Ehh…which side is it?”

So Kazeshiro leaves Yukiko aside and starts to brood, frowning harder than before.

“Just in case, if that one likes someone, I…”

“?”

That someone? That someone refers to brother, right? If brother has someone he likes, then what?

“I-I might go crazy with envy.”

“Huuueeee!?”

Wait—Yu-Yukiko’s heart lets out a strange sound.

Wh-what was that!?

“I don’t think it’s very possible, but if it’s with a guy I don’t know of… Damn it. Am I no good?”

“—!?”

N-not good…these problematic words…!

“Let’s play together next time. I want to see that beautiful again.”

T-th-this guy’s a tsundere as Yukiko thought!

“Hey, little sister. Next time, when I go to your house…eh?”

Yukiko’s at her rational limit as she runs away with a blushing face. PUahhh, this is a great idea.

“But it doesn’t look like Kazeshiro’s the special one though. Ughh…”

And Yukiko never expected him to ask the date. So close—

“So close to ‘letting it slip’.”

Once Yukiko’s done with investigations, Yukiko return home, wipe the sweat as Yukiko drinks milk. Yukiko then returns to her room, locks the door, pulls the curtains down…

“…”

And lays out ‘that thing’ on the bed, look at it for a while, and put it on.

Yukiko sees herself in the mirror, and can’t help but sigh,

“…This is amazing.”

It’s a one-piece dress with a nice I-line, matched with some mature looking stockings and a dark colored bag. Obviously it’s not cheap—probably branded goods, very pricey at that. There’s no way these are bought on a moment of impulse.

“Why, brother…why give this present to Yukiko…?”

A few days ago.

A female dress was placed on brother’s table.

It was carefully placed there, and looked like it was going to someone special.

Who did he want to give it to? Yukiko’s very wary of it, but never expected it to be for her.

“Uuu…i-it’s too short…”

The short one-piece skirt can’t cover the legs well. It’s cute, but prone to upskirts. Yukiko trips over often, so it’s dangerous.

“Lo-looks like Yukiko can only wear this at home…”

Leaving brother aside, no way can Yukiko let any stranger see her like this.

“…More important.”

This is a present from brother. A present for Yukiko. But—

“Impossible.”

It’s absolutely impossible.

Yukiko can’t believe such a reality.

That immature, timid, hidden handsome brother of mine; his sidelong handsome sweating face causes Yukiko’s heart to race, the neck so unbelievably sexy. That brother actually does such a thing.

Only for Yukiko.

Yukiko never expects such a special present to be for her.

It’s not Yukiko’s birthday. It’s not Christmas Day. It’s not some special day, and yet this present is given. Surely it just looks weird.

Yukiko couldn’t believe it, and went to visit everyone else, but as expected, nobody other than Yukiko receives a present.

This special existence—is somehow Yukiko.

“Sniffles…”

This reality causes Yukiko to cry tears of joy. But Yukiko can’t believe it; Yukiko can’t accept it.

So.

“In that case, Yukiko can only attack the person himself.”

In order not to mess things out, let’s simulate this in the mind today. Execute it tomorrow.

“Got to figure out the truth.”

The one older brother Yukiko really loves.

The special person to him—

“Is it really just Yukiko?”

“That idiot…”

Feeling sleep deprived, I was completely worn out, went down the stairs, washed my face and brushed my teeth. After a quick breakfast, I returned to my room for a change of clothes. I then sat on the chair, and flipped the notebook open. I read the following words,

“Nope. It wasn’t my fault.”

That’s how the entry started off like,

“I was trimming the eyebrows when the nose itched…I couldn’t help but sneeze, but I never expected to sneeze so much…my eyebrows went Super Saiyan 3 now…gi-give me some right now!...I’m just joking.”

“That idiot…why do such a thing?”

I let out a really, really, really deep sigh.

Of course, the reason was due to the face reflected on the mirror. The face that was already scary to begin with looked all the more terrifying. Really, I’m that now, right? I’m more like a gangster than a delinquent now. Hahahaha…seriously…

“But then but then! I shaved off the other eyebrow to make sure both sides are matching! Now you definitely look like a delinquent! Yay! Good for you, Sakamoto! Anyway, this feels really cute instead, right? Just relax and fall in love with a delinquent then!”

“How am I supposed to relax? Don’t make decisions for me like this!”

I didn’t look like a nice guy, and I lost my eyebrows. No way could I find someone on this world who found me cute. If there was, I would have proposed on the spot.

The later part of the journal entry contained her thoughts on the robot anime that aired recently, and she never apologized about the eyebrows. I glanced through it, and couldn’t help but frown. She really was up to no good.

I was already feeling lethargic in the morning, and I closed the journal, lazily dragging my body out of my room with this fatigue. Argh, how do I explain this to my parents?

While wondering about this—

“Hey.”

“Ah…”

It seemed Yukiko had been waiting for me at the door. She bumped into me.

“What, going out? Nice dress up.”

“…No, I’m not going anywhere.”

Ah, is that so? Well, whatever.

Yukiko’s wearing a soft one-piece dress with a matching, classy bag to go along. What’s with this? Did she look more mature because of this getup?

“…Brother. Erm, there’s something I want to ask you.”

“Hm? Me?”

What?

“I hope you’ll answer honestly…”

“Huh.”

Yukiko, with a blushing face, started to stammer as she fidgeted, looking completely anxious. Her eyes were blinking like a frantic butterfly. What’s with her?

“E-erm, well, that—”

And with an adorable look, she was flabbergasted for about ten seconds. She then seemed to have made up her mind though.

With her lips tense, she gave me a strong, determined look, and then—

“Why give the present to Yukiko alone?”

She asked.

“Present?”

I was increasingly confused.

What’s she referring to—I thought, and then I understood. Ahh, the present, as in that?

Again, I sized up Yukiko. Speaking of which, Hikari Yumesaki seemed to have mentioned that she bought some clothes for Yukiko, and wanted me to give it her. I forgot to do that though, so it seemed Hikari Yumesaki personally gave the present to Yukiko. Yep, she had a keen eye when it came to choosing clothes.

Then, what’s inappropriate about that present?”

“E-erm, it’s not Yukiko’s birthday, so why give a present to just Yukiko? Y-you never did it for other girls. Why just Yukiko…?”

“Ahhh, I guess…so?”

I wasn’t very sure as I didn’t know what that person was up to. It seemed Hikari Yumesaki left a present only for Yukiko.

So I tried to guess what HIkari Yumesaki was thinking.

……

Yep.

She definitely did it in the spur of the moment. Most probably.

“Yukiko in a One Piece dress has arrived! The One Piece of the world is here!”

Wait, no way, right?

But I couldn’t just answer that. Hm, what should I do? Well whatever, let’s just wing it.

“Hm, well, that. Just in the mood. Yep. That’s it.”

“Really, just the mood?”

But Yukiko couldn’t seem to agree.

“…But if it’s just in the mood, normally, you wouldn’t go this far, brother. It’s not a special day…Yukiko hopes that you’ll be honest. Yukiko is curious about this.”

Ahh…she’s acting different form usual, clinging on.

Well, Yukiko’s been like this all this while. Or rather, had she been so nitpicky about such strange things? Did such a thing happen when we were younger? I once had a tummyache, and when I talked to her, I was being aloof, so she was really concerned. “Did Yukiko do something annoying?” She came to my room in the middle of the night, looking all teary. But when we slept together, she was happy.

Well, leaving the memories aside, I had to try to convince this Pricness before me. This verbally dumb me couldn’t lie to save my life.

So what finally came out of my mouth were just some vague words.

“Nothing to be shocked about. Well…to me, you’re ‘special’.”

“————Eh?”

She’s my little sister after all.

Even though I was overly casual with the answer.

Eh, Yukiko? Why aren’t you moving?

“————Sp-Special…?”

“Yeah, of course. You’re someone special, so I chose a present. It’s normal, right?”

I guess.

“Y-Yukiko’s special?”

“Yeah.”

“O-Only Yukiko, is special?”

“Well.”

“Really, is this true? If you’re lying, Yukiko’s going to curse you to make sure you won’t be with the one you like.”

Don’t say that now. That sounds really likely.

“It’s for real. Okay?”

“…”

And then, Yukiko went silent.

Hey, what’s with this?

After that, we spent quite some time of silence.

Looking at how it was going, I assumed this blushing Yukiko would say something adorable, but as expected, she’s my little sister. Like usual, she frowned hard at me, and then—

“Hmph, is that so? Y-You could have said so earlier! You made Yukiko worry! Hmph!”

And so, she started raging again.

…Why’s she angry again? Such a strange on.

She then turned away, and hastily left.

“Hey, where are you going?”

“Just a little stroll! Now that I’m wearing this, I’ll walk around before coming back!”

Huh. Is that so?

“Goodness, you left Yukiko speechless, brother! How dumb can you be?”

With her shoulders huffing, Yukiko left.

Yep. I didn’t know what was going on, but it seemed it’s all settled. Well, not too bad. If she’s still angry, that showed that she’s still energetic, I guess.

It’s a little too early to mention this, but it would be really amazing for her to have a boyfriend. She’s always fuming, and would throw tantrums for no apparent reasons. It’s way too early for her—but if that happened, should I cheer on? For the boyfriend of course.

“Well. It’s finally summer vacation. Maybe I should play some games.”

So I stretched my back. At this moment, my phone suddenly rang.

“Hm? Who is it so early in the morning—”

………

……

“What is this!!!???”

I was left terrified upon reading the contents of the message. Another few came in.

Written there was—

“Akitsuki. If you wish to, you can play some terrible doctor play with this teacher in the infirmary

“Sakamoto, I bought a new pair of shoes, but the heels are too high, so I can’t get used to them. Please come walk with me, okay? It’ll be terrible if I trip over and remain stuck. Awaiting you will be the future you wish.”

“Sakamoto, anyway, please clean up under your bed. The you yesterday left something bad there.”

“This is…”

Ahh, here we go again. Seriously—

“That Hikari Yumesaki did something she shouldn’t have done.”

Yesterday’s me probably did something unnecessary. Seriously, she’s taking action without care for the consequences. You’re not exactly special to me; just break away from me already.

I grumbled as I thought about the usual foolhardy yesterday’s me as I dealt with the messages. Ahh seriously; I really hoped Hikari Yumesaki could learn from Yukiko. She’s weird, but she normally won’t get others involved.

“AH?”

Right when I was feeling displeased, I received another message.

Written on it was—

“Yukiko?”

Yukiko, whom I had just mentioned, sent me a confusing message. While reading it, I was left perplexed at her.

That message from my little sister was titled ‘the Special one to Yukiko’.

‘Your ruined eyebrows—are very cute’

9. gaianova

gaianova Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Title and Chapter: Heaven's Shadow 118 and 119
    Author: Xiao Ding
    Language: Chinese
    Type: Web Novel

He Changsheng’s name was rather interesting. It sounded dull and boring, but it reflected a grand dream. Of the billions of life beneath the heavens, what that all dreamt of was immortality. As such, this name had been used over and over again. In the path of a cultivator, immortality and deityhood was the ultimate goal. But since ancient times, no one had ever succeeded, not even the transcendent zhenjuns.

He Changsheng was an interesting person as well. He was diligent and humble, he worked hard in everything he engaged in, and he had a good temper on top of that. To use conventional words, he was an honest man. But for some reason, his luck was lacking, and this made it seem as though He Changsheng had lived an unfortunate life.

A hundred years ago, the He Clan was an influential power in Kunwu City, but from thirty years ago, almost no one could remember anything about it anymore. He Changsheng’s ancestor was an incredible figure. He was a true yuanying zhenren in Kunlun Sect, and during his time, he lived a spectacular life. However, he didn’t end up well. In one of the huge fights in the Confounding Lands, he died in the hands of the miscreants of the demonic cult.

The He Clan’s decline came swiftly. No one knew the reason for it, and even until now, no one could understand how such a powerful clan then could fall that quickly. By He Changsheng’s generation, the clan had lost all their connections.

He Changsheng liked cultivating, and his dream from young was to restore the former glory his ancestor had brought to the He Clan. For his ambitions, he prepared more than two decades, even selling all of the fortunes his ancestors left behind just for a chance at the Immortal Discernment Mirror.

But fate was always filled with ill-will toward honest men. The encounter with the Five Elemental Divine Compass gave him a huge blow on his head. His talents were so mediocre that he was nearly stuck at the starting point of his cultivation. It was after a round of desperate pleading did he manage to attain a slot as one of the seemingly futureless menial disciple. Furthermore, for this slot, he had depleted the final bit of his fortune.

“Is it worth it?”

That afternoon, as the warm glow of the brilliant sun illuminated the spirit field of the Aromatic Herb Garden, as well as the two idle men who were sitting by the side of the spirit field, Lu Chen asked He Changsheng.

With an extremely serious expression, Lu Chen used his hands to lightly gesture as he said, “If you gave up on cultivating, with the two residences your ancestor left you in Kunwu City, you should be able to live your entire life peacefully. Why would you choose to suffer here?”

“It’s not much of a suffering here.” He Changsheng had an honest and ordinary face that was neither dashing nor ugly. He seemed to be fond of Lu Chen as well, or perhaps, their similar circumstances had closened their distance, and thus, he replied, “Besides, if I were to simply idle my life away in Kunwu City, won’t I be left without a hope?”

“Hope?” Lu Chen shook his head. Turning to He Changsheng, he said, “But I don’t think that there’s much of a hope serving here as a menial disciple. From ancient times, there had never been a single pillar disciple who was able to become a yuanying zhenren.”

He Changsheng nodded, and he didn’t seem to think that there was anything wrong with Lu Chen’s words. “Indeed, it’ll be difficult. However, there’s a high-tier spirit medicine in Kunlun Sect known as ‘Immortal Bestowment Pill’. It’s said that it has the mystical effects of boosting a person’s talents in cultivation. Furthermore, the more lacking the cultivation of that person is, the greater its effects.”

Unable to hold back his chuckle, Lu Chen shook his head, “I’ve heard of the Immortal Bestowment Pill you spoke of. However, that thing is a priceless treasure, and the spirit herbs required for its production are all spirit treasures. It’s said that only the most prestigious clans would occasionally succeed in pleading for one to be forged, and on top of that, above fifty percent of the times, it was completely ineffective.” Sighing, Lu Chen continued, “It’s not practical for you to deposit all of your hopes on it.”

He Changsheng was silent for a moment before nodding his head, “You’re right.”

Lu Chen glanced at him and said, “Why, do you have some other intentions?”

“Un.” He Changsheng muttered, “That’s right.”

Interested, Lu Cheng smiled, “Tell me about it.”

He Changsheng smiled as well. He looked at his surroundings, and from time to time in the distance, he could see fellow menial disciples working hard in the spirit fields. After staring at those figures for a moment, he said, “Our He Clan hasn’t achieved anything for three generations already. If I don’t start bucking up now, when the time comes to hand over the family to my own child, won’t they have to live an ordinary life as well?”

“If I am destined to remain at the bottommost tier in Kunlun City, struggling in this spirit field, working until my death arrives, then should my child suffer the same bitterness as me?”

He Changsheng gazed at Lu Chen, and a rare twinkle shone in his clear eyes. It was the light representing his endless expectations toward the future. Softly, he said, “I might be suffering a little bit of pain on the Kunlun Mountain, but I will accumulate a fortune for my child, and my child’s starting point will be higher than mine. Even if he were to be unable to make it too, as long as he continues my legacy, my grandson will be in an even better state. Going on in such a way, there will surely come a day which my He Clan will rise once more. Don’t you agree so?”

He looked at Lu Chen with a bright smile. Radiance filled with endless hopes reflected in his eyes.

Lu Chen stared at him silently, and after a moment, he replied, “That’s impossible. You’re dreaming.”

※※※

In the garden, Lu Chen and He Changsheng stood face to face, and He Changsheng’s complexion didn’t seem too well.

“Why?” He Changsheng questioned Lu Chen with a deep voice. His eyebrows were tightly knitted together, and he didn’t seem too happy.

Lu Chen stared at him for a moment before saying, “Do you wish to hear the truth?”

“Un.”

“You are just a menial disciple. On top of that, your clan has fallen and you have lost all your fortune. At this moment, you have nothing to fall back on. Even if you work your entire life, you won’t be able to save up much fortune for your child.” Lu Chen replied calmly to He Changsheng, disregarding the latter’s slightly paled face.

“You hope that one day your He Clan offsprings will manage to achieve great things, and putting aside the fact whether your offsprings will possess the same determination as you, have you ever considered the matter that given your identity, it is impossible for them to enter Kunlun Sect straight and they had to enter through the Immortal Discernment Mirror as well? As long as that matter happens, all that you have saved up for my child will turn into nothing easily.”

“What is that matter?” Unable to hold himself back, He Changsheng asked.

Lu Chen sighed, “What if dozens of years from now, Kunlun Sect suddenly increases the fee one has to pay to use the Immortal Discernment Mirror?”

He Changsheng body jolted. With widened eyes, he said, “Impossible! Kunlun Sect is a respectable sect. They can’t possibly…”

“But what if?” Interrupting him, Lu Chen refuted.

He Changsheng muttered, “What if…”

“You should surely be aware of how many of this year’s menial disciple entered through bribery. This matter can be determined by a single thought of those standing above us. If someone truly lacked money and is willing to abandon his dignity for it, who can you complain the matter to?”

He Changsheng was stumped. His complexion turned ashen gray.

Looking at him, Lu Chen stretched out an upturned palm and raised it, “You see, in this world, humans are different from birth. Some people are born at the top, and there are others, such as you… me…” Slowly, he twisted his palm downward and pressed it down toward the ground.

Looking at the motion of the palm with unblinking eyes, He Changsheng’s body trembled. The brilliance that was reflected in his gaze before was no longer as bright as before.

Lu Chen pressed his palm down to an extremely low spot. Then, he asked lightly, “Think about it, what rights do you have to make a comeback?”

Lifting his head, He Changsheng looked at Lu Chen and asked indignantly, “Then, will people like us be unable to progress a single step forward for our entire life? Are our offsprings destined to stand beneath others?”

“Immortality and deityhood, ascending to the heavens, all life beneath the heavens, fated they were with. Aren’t these words the adage passed down from our ancestors in the path of cultivation?” He looked agitated, perhaps even a little infuriated, as he said these words.

“We are fated with immortality. We have always been fated with immortality.” Lu Chen said. “However, just think about how small the possibility is. Of the hundred thousand people in Kunlun Mountain, what chances do you think that such an opportunity will lap into your lap?”

He Changsheng took in a deep breath. After hearing Lu Chen’s words, he seemed to have calmed down. “Since that’s the case, then why are you saying so much to me?”

Looking at him, Lu Chen said, “I only think that you shouldn’t entrust your hopes to your offspring. If you are fated, you will be able to make a comeback in this life. If you aren’t fated, even if you struggle to save up a fortune for your offspring, it would be all for naught.”

After a moment of silence, He Changsheng replied, “Makes sense.”

※※※

In the spirit field, the man turned around, picked up a hoe, and it seemed as though he was about to start working diligently once more. Standing by the side, Lu Chen looked at him in interest. “Why, are you disappointed?”

Without raising his head, He Changsheng replied, “Yes. But no matter how disappointed I am, I have to work.”

“You aren’t going to wait for fate?”

“Of course I am waiting for it, why shouldn’t I? What if it falls on me from the heavens?”

Lu Chen smiled, “With such luck, why don’t you try willing for a bolt of lightning in this clear skies?”

Lifting his head, He Changsheng looked into the skies. Lu Chen followed suit. However, the blue sky remained calm, and nothing happened at all.

A moment later, the both of them retracted their gazes and glanced at one another. Lu Chen shrugged.

He Changsheng shook his head, “This matter is too unreliable. How could fate possibly just fall… Aiya!”

He suddenly yelled and grabbed his head. Something had fallen from the skies, and it happened to land on his head.

Standing by the side, Lu Chen was shocked as well. After a moment of gaze, he subconsciously said, “It can’t be that coincidental…”
    -----------------
    http://www.starvearchive.com/2017/06/21/a-short-conversation-between-lu-chen-and-he-changsheng/

10. xzpwnz

xzpwnz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was about to post a Chinese translation of Dark Lord, but then I saw rule #3 :sweating_profusely:

11. Barnnn

Barnnn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Title and Chapter: Monster Hunter - Cross Soul, Volume 1 Prologue Scene 2

Sonia was born and raised in a fairly large town in a cold region, distant from Bherna Village.
    She came from a family of hunters based in that town for generations; her parents and grandparents also spent their lives protecting the town and nearby villages from monsters.
    For people living in harsh environments and surrounded by monster threats, having a village hunter is quite a big deal, to the point of being essential.
    That was why Sonia, like all of her other siblings, was expected by people around her to become a hunter.
    Educated in the ways of hunters from an early age, the girl put in all the effort she could in order to fulfill the hope others had for her.
    It would be a lie to say that the expectations from her parents and the locals were not heavy.
    But Sonia continued doing her best, not hampered by all the pressure, and successfully earned a license from the Hunter's Guild at a young age.
    Her parents, siblings, and also everyone else around her, all of them were overjoyed. People in the town where she was born, the whole neighborhood, and even neighboring villages- everyone.
    In the perimeter the girl was able to travel in, almost everyone knew about her.
    The attention she recieved was from the fame her parents and grandparents had made, but she was proud of it regardless.
    Working to not bring shame to her family's name-- That was what she thought of doing.
    However, during one of her many hunts, she had failed miserably.
    Moreover, her opponent was the Yian Kut-Ku.
    Even though it was considered to be just the first wall in progress for fledgling hunters......
    Everone consoled her, saying it's because it was her first time standing against it.
    Everyone encouraged her, saying that everybody has their share of failures.
    However, the girl knew it more than anyone else. That her failure was not due to insufficient skills or lacking experience.
    It was because Sonia had a severe fundamental issue, that is--
    "Young mistress, I'm hungry, nya."
    It was Thykka's weakly faint voice of complaint that pulled Sonia back to reality.
    Turning around, she could see him standing a short distance away, gazing to his side.
    Following his line of sight, what stood there was a lively stall, surrounded by a large crowd of customers. The crowd contained not only villagers and peddlers, but also those who could easily be identified as hunters.
    Every single one of them held food on long skewers, sticking them into the mountain of cheese that rose from the middle of the stall, soaking the food with streaming cheese before sending them into their mouths.
    "Looks delicious, nya."
    "Ah-, yeah. Looks super tasty."
    Sonia hadn't been paying attention, but the delicious scent she has been smelling since she first arrived at Bherna Village seems to be from that stall.
    From the satisfied smiles that appeared on the faves of everyone in the customer crowd, it was apparent that the stall's cheese fondue was delicious.
    "......I wanna eat it, nya."
    "......Yeah, I wanna eat it too."
    Unable to divert their gaze from it, Sonia and Thykka sounded their statements in their throats simultaneously.
    Both Sonia and Thykka haven't had anything to eat for the day.
    "Young mistress, I think it's a mortal's way to let natural desires dictate their actions, nya."
    From Thykka's words, Sonia could feel a great intent to hurry ahead.
    --However.
    "Thykka... where are you even going to get the money from, nya?"
    "......The reality hurts both my heart and stomach, nya."
    His own words being used against himself, Thykka slowly dropped his shoulders.
    "Let's grab a bite after we get to the Wycademy. If I remember correctly, there's a Guild Hub right in front of the Wycademy, so there should be some places where we can eat."
    "Uuh, this is a slaughter, nya."
    As if they were dragged back on track, the two walked off once more.
    The Wycademy, their destination, was already almost right before their eyes.

Gah, I really need to get back on track with my main project. Still, translating this one is fun.

12. Barnnn

Barnnn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Title and Chapter: Monster Hunter - Cross Soul, Volume 1 Prologue Scene 3

"Closed!? Since when!"
    Sonia's loud shout echoed throughout the Wycademy.
    "P-Please calm down, Miss Hunter! C-can't breathe-!"
    "Ah- Sorry!"
    As the female receptionist made her plea, Sonia released her hand from the woman's collar.
    Even though they finally reached their destination, what awaited Sonia and Thykka was a ruthless declaration-- The Wycademy hunter registration-- It had ended.
    The moment the receptionist informed her of it, Sonia's thoughts turned pure white, her hand unjntentionally reached out and grabbed the woman by the collar.
    "A-are you alright? I'm really sorry. My mind slipped......"
    "Y-yes, I'll be alright. That startled me quite a bit though."
    Sonia bowed her head deeply, and the receptionist coughed lightly before smiling to the girl.
    "I'm glad...... Um, I want to ask again from the beginning- Is it really closed?"
    To Sonia, looking at her with hope that she had heard it incorrectly, the receptionist returned an apologetic expression.
    "You're also an applicant, right? We're truly sorry, since you seemed to have come from afar and all, but it is as I said earlier. About two days ago, the number of applicants for this round had exceeded the quota."
    We're truly sorry, the receptionist said as she lowered her head to Sonia, despite that she never needed to make any apologies.
    She felt that she had to do so, as Sonia's hopelessness was just severe.
    Sonia collapsed in lament, both her knees on the ground, having no choice but to support her body with both hands.
    At a glance, one would most likely think she had just failed a hunt.
    The receptionist offered the girl some words of consolation, but none of them would enter Sonia's ears.
    Ended two days ago-- Meaning, if she were to go onboard an airship right from the town, then she would have at least made it here before the registration deadline.

"It'll be alright. I'm not a child anymore. I'm a hunter. If it's just living expenses, I can earn it myself. That's why I won't take any money from you...... Don't worry about me, dad, mom. I'll get in touch when I've settled down over there."

"......Why was I even insisting on it so stubbornly back then?"
    At this moment, she's regretting the desicion made before setting off to not recieve any aid from her family.
    "So that you wouldn't have any regrets, nya."
    "Shut up."
    Sonia could only weakly deny Thykka's snide remark.

13. Barnnn

Barnnn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Title and Chapter: Monster Hunter - Cross Soul, Volume 1 Full Prologue

A dry wind blew through the village, swaying the low grass and briefly raising the dropped flags.

Lined up along the grassy plain are stone houses with distinctive round roofs.

Wooden stalls and shops with simple roofings stood between those stone buildings, as if to fill the empty spaces between them.

If one were to turn their eyes to the distance, they would see snowy gray-brown mountains fill the horizon, as if they were acting as border between the green prairie and the blue sky.

Bherna Village is such a place.

Merchant carts, having stopped at the village's entrance for a while, started its departure.

A girl faced the departing trade caravan, bowing deeply once then waving them goodbye until they were out of sight.

"Ngh~~~...! We're finally here~~!"

Lifting her body and raising her hands up as if to reach for the heavens, the girl extended her spine that had curled down from all the sitting and stretched her stiffened muscles.

Puhaa, she exhaled a large breath with great force, her beloved lance, the Naag Serpentblade, collided with the handle of three daggers sheathed on her shoulder, ringing lightly with a metallic sound.

Her name is Sonia. A fledgling hunter with no more than two years of hunting experience.

Worn on her body are armor parts of the Spio Series designed for famale hunters, made from various unusual insects that live in cold regions with the main component being Toxic Kumori.

Looking at her face that showed a slight sign of fatigue, veiled under the Spio Vertex, one could see that she is still at the young age of 17.

"Finally arrived, nyaaa~"

To Sonia's side, her Palico stretched in the same manner as his master, then knocked on his own waist.

"What's up with that, Thykka? You're like an old person."

"Uh, nya...... We just got here and all nya, but I'm already tired, nya."

Thykka looked up and sighed, his voice having a mixed tone of tiredness and dissatisfaction, but one wouldn't be able to know his facial expression due to the F Malfestio Mask obscuring his whole head.

"Well, that's true."

I'm tired too, Sonia muttered, cracking her neck.

More than ten days have passed since they set out on their journey, headed for Bherna Village.

Sometimes on foot, sometimes on ships, and most recently, they spent the past few days coming here on a merchant cart, loaded up together with the goods.

It was simply a long, tiring journey. No one could possibly be on a constantly rocking cart for days without tiring out, not even hunters who have experienced harsh hunts.

"After all that, I wish we'd taken an airship."

Sonia muttered as she let out a short sigh.

"Where are you even going to get the money from, nya?"

Thykka sighed at Sonia's grumblings.

Feeling her pal's rebellious attitude, Sonia glanced at Thykka briefly before looking away.

After all, what Thykka said was a fact; Sonia and the cat barely had any cash on hand. That was why they had to cut any travel expenses they could, having no choice but to spend a long journey as a result.

Ignoring her pal's bickerings, Sonia one again turned her line of sight to her surroundings.

Outside of the village to the west, she could see a limestone structure in the distance, illuminated by the waning sunlight.

"That's the Wycademy."

Previously painted with an expression of fatigue on her face, Sonia regained a slight amount of vitality.

"Well then, let's go."

Prompting Thykka to move, something crossed the road right before Sonia's eyes while making a chilling sound.

"Oops, sor...ry?"

Raising her face after giving a reflexive apology, what stood there was not a person, but rather a Moofah.

Meh.

While Sonia was still dumbfounded, that Moofah, tied with a light blue ribbon, made a brief noise as if to say "Don't worry about it" before calmly stepping away.

"Young mistress... That was embarrassing, nya."

"Shut up!"

In response to Thykka's extra snark, she brought down her knuckles on his head.

Her gaze following the same Moofah's back, in addition to him(?), she could see several more Moofahs taking strolls around the village.

Sonia could do nothing but laugh with a bitter smile at the sight of those Moofahs swaggering among people as if it was normal.

The two who watched over him then started walking, headed towards the Wycademy.

The passing villagers obviously looked at those two who were eqipped with hunter gear, but other than that they just kept on walking without much concern.

In small villages, hunters would be eye-catching existences, but that is probably not the case for Bherna Village.

The place called Wycademy is a facility that can be considered the front line of monster research, so the locals most likely got used to the numerous hunters who gathered there.

("Well, it's not like anyone here knows about me though.")

The girl actually felt a little pleasant that nobody reacted to her.

Sonia was born and raised in a fairly large town in the cold region, distant from Bherna Village.

She came from a family of hunters based in that town for generations; her parents and grandparents also spent their lives protecting the town and nearby villages from monsters.

For people living in harsh environments and surrounded by monster threats, having a village hunter is quite a big deal, to the point of being essential.

That was why Sonia, like all of her other siblings, was expected by people around her to become a hunter.

Educated in the ways of hunters from an early age, the girl put in all the effort she could in order to fulfill the hope others had for her.

It would be a lie to say that the expectations from her parents and the locals were not heavy.

But Sonia continued doing her best, not hampered by all the pressure, and successfully earned a license from the Hunter's Guild at a young age.

Her parents, siblings, and also everyone else around her, all of them were overjoyed. People in the town where she was born, the whole neighborhood, and even neighboring villages- everyone.

In the perimeter the girl was able to travel in, almost everyone knew about her.

The attention she recieved was from the fame her parents and grandparents had made, but she was proud of it regardless.

Working to not bring shame to her family's name --That was what she thought of doing.

However, during one of her many hunts, she had failed miserably.

Moreover, her opponent was the Yian Kut-Ku.

Even though it was considered to be just the first wall in progress for fledgling hunters......

Everone consoled her, saying it's because it was her first time standing against it.

Everyone encouraged her, saying that everybody has their share of failures.

However, the girl knew it more than anyone else. That her failure was not due to insufficient skills or lacking experience.

It was because Sonia had a severe fundamental issue, that is--

"Young mistress, I'm hungry, nya."

What pulled Sonia back to reality was Thykka's weakly faint voice of complaint.

Turning around, she could see him standing a short distance away, gazing to his side.

Following his line of sight, what stood there was a lively stall, surrounded by a large crowd of customers. The crowd contained not only villagers and peddlers, but also those who could easily be identified as hunters.

Every single one of them held food on long skewers, sticking them into the mountain of cheese that rose from the middle of the stall, soaking the food with streaming cheese before sending them into their mouths.

"Looks delicious, nya."

"Ah-, yeah. Looks super tasty."

Sonia hadn't been paying attention, but the delicious scent she has been smelling since she first arrived at Bherna Village seems to be from that stall.

From the satisfied smiles that appeared on the faves of everyone in the customer crowd, it was apparent that the stall's cheese fondue was delicious.

"......I wanna eat it, nya."

"......Yeah, I wanna eat it too."

Unable to divert their gaze from it, Sonia and Thykka sounded their statements in their throats simultaneously.

Both Sonia and Thykka haven't had anything to eat for the day.

"Young mistress, I think it's a mortal's way to let natural desires dictate their actions, nya."

From Thykka's words, Sonia could feel a great intent to hurry ahead.

--However.

"Thykka... where are you even going to get the money from, nya?"

"......The reality hurts both my heart and stomach, nya."

His own words being used against himself, Thykka slowly dropped his shoulders.

"Let's grab a bite after we get to the Wycademy. If I remember correctly, there's a Guild Hub right in front of the Wycademy, so there should be some places where we can eat."

"Uuh, this is a slaughter, nya."

As if they were dragged back on track, the two walked off once more.

The Wycademy, their destination, was already almost right before their eyes.

"Closed!? Since when!"

Sonia's loud shout echoed throughout the Wycademy.

"P-Please calm down, Miss Hunter! C-can't breathe-!"

"Ah- Sorry!"

As the female receptionist made her plea, Sonia released her hand from the woman's collar.

Even though they finally reached their destination, what awaited Sonia and Thykka was a ruthless declaration-- The Wycademy hunter registration-- It had ended.

The moment the receptionist informed her of it, Sonia's thoughts turned pure white, her hand unjntentionally reached out and grabbed the woman by the collar.

"A-are you alright? I'm really sorry. My mind slipped......"

"Y-yes, I'll be alright. That startled me quite a bit though."

Sonia bowed her head deeply, and the receptionist coughed lightly before smiling to the girl.

"I'm glad...... Um, I want to ask again from the beginning- Is it really closed?"

To Sonia, looking at her with hope that she had heard it incorrectly, the receptionist returned an apologetic expression.

"You're also an applicant, right? We're truly sorry, since you seemed to have come from afar and all, but it is as I said earlier. About two days ago, the number of applicants for this round had exceeded the quota."

We're truly sorry, the receptionist said as she lowered her head to Sonia, despite that she never needed to make any apologies.

She felt that she had to do so, as Sonia's hopelessness was just severe.

Sonia collapsed in lament, both her knees on the ground, having no choice but to support her body with both hands.

At a glance, one would most likely think she had just failed a hunt.

The receptionist offered the girl some words of consolation, but none of them would enter Sonia's ears.

Ended two days ago-- Meaning, if she were to go onboard an airship right from the town, then she would have at least made it here before the registration deadline.

"It'll be alright. I'm not a child anymore. I'm a hunter. If it's just living expenses, I can earn it myself. That's why I won't take any money from you...... Don't worry about me, dad, mom. I'll get in touch when I've settled down over there."

"......Why was I even insisting on it so stubbornly back then?"

At this moment, she's regretting the desicion made before setting off to not recieve any aid from her family.

"So that you wouldn't have any regrets, nya."

"Shut up."

Sonia could only weakly deny Thykka's snide remark.

The sky changed its color from vermillion to a deep, dark blue.

As if to chase the sun that had sunk under the earth in the west, the moon began its high rise.

As day quickly transitioned to night, the grassland's temperature began its rapid fall.

Sonia and Thykka sat in a corner of the plaza, lighting a fire on the BBQ Spit without setting meat on it, taking in its warmth.

The BBQ Spit's flame swayed back and forth in the constantly drifting wind.

Sonia's shoulders trembled; the refreshing dry wind during daytime now feels as if it is trying to freeze up the both of them.

In attempt to counteract their hunger, they boiled some herbs in water, drinking it to warm their bodies up even if it's just only slightly.

Sonia held her cup in both hands as she sipped from it little by little, with Thykka sitting beside her as he blew into his cup, afraid to put his mouth even near it...... Having a cat's tongue seems to be quite troublesome indeed.

"Young mistress, what should we do from now on, nya?"

To Sonia, who was idly watching the way he drinks the hot water, Thkyya asked as he turned around with a seemingly apologetic look on his face.

"Yeah, what should we do?"

The reason she asked back was none other than her inability to do anything.

They couldn't do anything without money, not even afford a room at the inn for the day.

--No, it wouldn't be accurate to say that they couldn't.

It's just that if they were to rent a room for a few days, they wouldn't be able to move about freely anymore, and they just can't rely on what little funds they carry for long.

"I know that we shouldn't be wasteful and all nya, but I feel like tomorrow wouldn't come if I were to sleep with an empty stomach like this, nya."

"Don't say scary things like that. But, yeah...... I'm hungry."

Grrr, Sonia's stomach sounded an unreserved grumble.

Sonia was half astonished and half admired the integrity of her "abdomen worms" for fulfilling their job even in times their host is completely exhausted.

("Though it'd be nice if they were to slack off in times like this.")

If that was the case, she might have been able forget her hunger.

While complaining in her mind, Sonia embraced her knees and rested her head on them.

If she were to fall asleep just like this, she would forget about her hunger, at least until tomorrow.

That was a method to cope with empty stomachs they learned during their penniless journey. Sonia closed her eyes, waiting for the arrival of drowsiness as she ignored the abdomen worms' commotion.

"Young mistress, *munch munch*, if you sleep in a place like this, *munch munch*, you'll catch a cold, nya."

"......You- What're you eating?"

Sonia raised her face from her knees, directing a deprecating gaze at Thykka.

"Last resort it is, nya."

According to Thykka, he has been carrying fruits resembling an acorn, eaten by Palicoes for emergency recovery when they suffer heavy damage during hunts.

He was so starving that he had to go as far as eating that kind of thing while in town.

"I feel sorry for young mistress and all, but right now I'm as good as having lost 'one life', nya."

"......I- I'm sorry."

Sonia felt pathetic for having directed such negative thoughts at her pal.

"Young mistress, want some, nya?"

Shaking her head to Thykka who offered one of his "Last Resorts" to her, Sonia let out a sigh as she stood up.

"I'm sorry, really. There's a limit on how much patience one can have, after all. Thykka, that stall we passed by earlier--"

The moment she got up, Sonia's body teetered.

It was loss of blood pressure and heavy dizziness. As if her body was being dragged to the ground, strength disappeared from her knees.

--Malnourishment and anemia...... this is pathetic.

With her irregularly conscious mind, Sonia acknowledged that she was on the verge of collapsing. However, despite being fully aware, there was nothing she could do about it.

"Y-young mistress!"

While listening to Thykka's paniced voice, Sonia abandoned all efforts to stay conscious as she thought, "At least it'd be nice if my head doesn't hit anything".

At the next moment, the girl suffered an impact lighter than anticipated as her body stopped.

"Uh-oh, careful there, little miss. Did you trip or something? Ah- hey, what's wrong?"

"Oh? Sir Seiji, is something happening?"

"Ah- yes, Miss Meowstress. This girl suddenly collapsed on me, you see."

"Dear me. That is indeed distressing!"

Just before losing consciousness, the girl had a feeling that she heard some unfamiliar voices.

A nice smell was the very first thing Sonia perceived.

Previously melted in darkness, her consciousness gradually re-emerged, coming back with it her five senses.

Voices of conversations and laughter from a multitude of people, light clattering footsteps moving about, sharp sounds of clanging tableware, sizzlings of meat and fish being cooked in pans and pots, vegetables and potatoes boiling in soup, all kinds of cozy sounds of cooking.

They resemble sounds that bring happiness, ones that the girl remember hearing back at her hometown during times of celebration.

Slightly opening her eyes, she could see a brightly illuminated wooden ceiling.

"Ngh- Hm~~......?"

Where could this be?

As she lifted her body up in order to take a look around, a blanket dropped to her knees. While she was unconscious, Sonia seemed to have been laid down on a bed inside a warm room somewhere.

Although her mind isn't all back in piece just yet, Sonia felt that the the predicament she had been in prior and the present situation are quite far apart from each other.

"Oh, you have regained consciousness, yes?"

Before the girl's awareness could catch up, she heard immediately to her side a voice, cute and clear as a ringing bell.

"Ah," Sonia quietly blurted out as she turned that way in reflex.

Placed to the side of the bed was a small round chair, with a cute little girl sitting atop.

She's like a doll, thought Sonia with her stll hazy mind.

The little girl wore blue clothes and a pale blue skirt, and on top of those, a large white hooded mantle and apron, resembling a tunic when joined together.

Beautiful blonde hair was bundled to the back of her head, and on top of it she wore an accessory that closely resembles Felynes' ears.

Looking closely, one would see that her ears are slightly longer than ones of a normal human; it is a definig characteristic of the Wyverian race.

"Do tell, are you feeling well? It's fine to lie down and rest; it's for the best~"

The Wyverian girl tilted her head, looking worriedly at Sonia's face.

"Ah, yes. I'll probably be fine."

"I see, that is good news to me."

The little girl casped her hands together in front of her chest and made a fluffy smile.

"You were the one who helped me? Thank you."

As Sonia bowed her head, the little girl denied, shaking her head and waving her hands.

"By chance, I was just passing by; it was Sir Seiji who carried you here, that's why. It would be more appropriate to show Sir Seiji how much you appreciate."

Sonia remembered the name Seiji from among the voices she heard just before losing consciousness.

Voices of two people, one of which certainly belongs to the little girl currently right before her eyes.

"I see. But you did look after me, right? For that, I thank you."

"It's fine, it's fine, the pleasure is all mine."

To Sonia who expressed her thanks for the second time, the little girl returned a smile.

"Ah, that's right. I haven't introduced myself yet. I'm Sonia. A wandering hunter. And you?"

"Ah, apologies for the introduction delay. Call me Meowstress, if you may."

"M-Meowstress?"

"Yes~ It's a nickname of me, you see? That is what everyone calls me, so Miss Sonia too, please do feel free~"

--What's with this girl? She's super cute!

Sonia diverted her gaze from the little girl so as to not rush forward and cuddle her, instead sweeping her sights at the surrounding area once more.

It was a small room of wooden construct. The bed Sonia has been sleeping on was at the wall's side, and the night sky could be seen beyond the room's one and only round window.

An orange flame shone from the wall-mounted lantern, illuminating the interior with a warm light.

"Umm, Meowstress... Miss? By the way, where is this?"

"Ah, this spot? The Dragon Cat Pavilion's... hmm... Guest Room, was it not?"

"Dragon Cat Pavilion?"

"Yes~ the Dragon Cat Pavilion, I address! Ah, Miss Sonia, I see that you were a traveler, perhaps a backpacker. This place is called the Dragon Cat Pavilion, a restaurant so fine, run by a friend of mine. The food here is delicious, so very nutritious!"

To the somewhat prouldly speaking Meowstress, Sonia returned a smile, as thoughts of her hunger came rushing back along with the phrase "the food here is delicious".

"Meowstress, that little miss...... Ah, she's up already, huh?"

As the door suddenly opened, a young man entered the room.

He should be about 20 years of age. His face showed fearless determination, but under the forehead covered with short black hair, both of his eyes seemed to give off quite an intimidating look. The fine form of his body is just like that of a hunter's, maybe because he has been exercising, making the apron he's wearing not suit him at all.

"Yes, Sir Seiji, as you assess. She had just woken up so, just a few moments ago."

Seeing the Meowstress nodding happily, the young man called Seiji returned his sights to Sonia.

"How're you feeling, little miss? You sure you'll be fine getting up already?"

"Eh- Yes, I'll be. I'm not injured or anything......"

She couldn't possibly say something as uncool as having collapsed due to hunger. Sonia looked away as if to hide that fact.

However--

Grrr...

Her body was an honest being; Sonia's abdomen worms cried out loudly, as if they knew that the girl was in danger.

Silence momentarily filled the room.

Sonia, turning bright red, covered her face with both hands; Seiji and Meowstress turned to look at each other.

"Dear me~"

"Haha, you'll be fine with that appetite. Just wait a bit longer. Right now, the boss is cooking up a special meal for our patient here. Oh yeah, now that you're here, Meowstress, please do come eat with us as well."

"My~ that would be sublime. Then, I shall not refrain myself this time~"

As Meowstress gave a nod with a smile, Seiji lightly waved his hand and left the room.

Shortly thereafter, Sonia and Meowstress left the room after a Felyne came to call them.

Led by the Felyne that seemed to be a waiter, they passed through the door at the end of the corridor, coming out to a restaurant with a calm atmosphere.

"Whoa."

To the slightly awestruck Sonia, the Felyne waiter that came to pick her up bowed once again, however unnecessary.

"Welcome, dear customers. Welcome to our restaurant, the Dragon Cat Pavilion, nya."

After guiding the two customers to a table at a wall's side, he said "Please wait a while, nya" before leaving.

"Well then Miss Sonia, let us wait a while, immobile."

After taking a seat on the chair in a familiar manner, Meowstress then smiled at Sonia.

"S-Sure."

After nodding back, Sonia swept her gaze around the store.

The interior was filled with a multitude of customers enjoying their meals, and in the space between tables, Felyne waiters shuffled around, seeming quite busy.

While observing the state of the bustling store, Sonia unintentionally grumbled in her throat upon sniffing in delicious smells that filled the interior and seeing the great amount of foods lined up on other tables.

"Uhuhu, to you I assure, the food here is delicious, that's for sure~!"

Her gaze was probably noticed. Meowstress, sitting opposite to the girl, looked up at Sonia with a smiling face.

"Yeah, they do look delicious."

So as to not offend Meowstress, Sonia nodded in agreement.

"Sorry for the wait and all, nya!"

Along with a robust shout, large plates piled up with food were placed heavily on their table, causing fairly rough impacts.

Although the food looked appetizing indeed, Sonia was more focused on the Felyne waiter's sloppy mannerisms; she doubted her eyes when she got a good look at him.

"Thykka? What're you doing?"

It was definitely her Palico who stood there, albeit in clothes different from the usual.

Met with his master's confused look, Thykka spread his hands proudly.

"As you can see, I'm working as a waiter, nya!"

According to his explanation, Thykka is currently working the same role as the other Felyne waiter.

"No no, I can see that, but..."

"Now now, young mistress. Please leave all the complicated talks for later, nya. Right now, please enjoy the manager's cooking to the fullest, nya."

Urged on by her pal, Sonia returned her sights to what was placed on the table.

It was a scrumptious-looking stew with plenty of meat and vegetables. Sonia gulped down her drool upon taking in its aroma and the rising steam.

"A-alright, I accept."

Digging her fork into the piece of food nearest to her hand, she then carried it into her mouth.

"Hng~~~~! Delicious!"

She didn't intend to make an exclamation, but the food was just irresistably delicious.

She was starving, yes, but among the dishes Sonia had eaten so far, its taste was undoubtedly top class.

"Go on, young mistress! Do not refrain yourself from eating, nya!"

"Why're you so persistently insisting on it... but yeah, I'm digging in."

Gripping her fork tightly, Sonia skewered up each and every piece from the steaming plate, sending them into her mouth. All of them were delicious beyond words.

"It's a good time, I feel, for me to as well take part in this meal."

Meowstress, having looked at Sonia for a while now, also started eating from her small plate.

--It did not take long at all for every single plate to be emptied.

"Puhaa...... I'm stuffed."

"Oh, that's good. We're glad the food was to your liking, nya."

A felyne slowly approached Sonia, who is now rubbing her belly in satisfaction.

With a twisted headband wrapped around its head and a large apron worn on its body, it doesn't look like the Felynes that works at the storefront, but rather like a Kitchen Felyne, usually seen at mass eateries. However, from the large scar that replaces its left eye and a shredding sharp look of its right, it gave off a sense of intimidation, like a veteran hunter who has seen countless battlefields.

("Wh-who's that?")

Feeling a slight pressure, Sonia gulped in nervousness.

"Um, you're the one who made the food?"

"Right, nya. Oops, apologies for the late introduction, nya. I am Django. Manager and chef of this eatery, the Dragon Cat Pavilion, nya."

Django put its hand on its chest, showing a great deal of self confidence, as if to say "how's that!?"; it is not your ordinary felyne, that's for sure.

"Ah, Sir Manager I spy. As always, every dish was very delicious, not one shy."

As Meowstress made a fluffy smile, Django's tail tingled, hair standing up briskly.

"Gh- g- gl- Glad to hear that, nya...... If you truly mean it, Meowstress, th- then that relieves all my exhaustion as a chef, nya."

Even in the same facial expression, Django's tone of speech has obviously gone weird.

--Ah, there's a deeper meaning to this, that's for sure.

Along with the drastic change in attitude, Sonia could feel tension in the atmosphere lifting.

"Would you like some more water?"

As if to get Django out of there, the young man called Seiji appeared with a jug of water.

"Ah, yes please."

"I shall accept it as such, thank you very much~"

Seiji poured water into Sonia and Meowstress' cups after they affirmed their requests.

While looking at the young man's facial profile, Sonia remembered what Meowstress said to her.

"Er, you were the one who carried me here, is that right?"

Mm-hm, nodded Meowstress, as Seiji responded, "Yeah, that's when I was on my way home."

"Um, thank you very much."

"You're very welcome. Make sure to help others when they're in need as well...... Anyway, you sure you're alright?"

"Yes, I'm alright now. I've had a bit of health problems originally too, you see."

Seiji nodded, saying "That's good", before suddenly making a disgusted look on his face.

"......With that said, little miss. It was totally uncool of you to collapse out of hunger like that, you know."

"H-how'd you know-"

"Your little pal kept running his mouth even when I'm not listening, you see."

("Th-Thykka...... That damn chatterbox~~!")

Since Sonia started her career as a hunter, Thykka has always been a precious pal who always went together her when out hunting, and also during their journey, he was an irreplaceable friend whom she had shared pain and pleasures with all the same. However, she had always thought that she had to do something about his annoying tendencies to run his mouth.

Seiji then continued his speech, seemingly unaware of the girl's inner thoughts.

"For hunters, the body is what's most important. Maintaining good physical condition is the basic of basics. You're pretty much disqualified as a hunter if you neglect the basics just because you're short on cash, you know."

From the helpful benefactor, a truly helpful advice.

"Uguh... You sure like to talk, huh! Like you know it all about being a hunter!"

However, those words hit Sonia where it hurt, so the girl ended up bouncing back with rude words.

"Of course I know. After all, I'm also a hunter."

"A hunter? You?"

Sonia took another look at Seiji's clothes, but she couldn't see it as anything other than a cook's uniform in a style resembling Django's.

"I don't put on hunting equipment while in the restaurant. You should have noticed that much."

He definitely noticed the girl's inspection. A disgusted look appeared on Seiji's face.

Sonia was riled up as she was met with the expression that painted her as a dimwit.

"H-hmph, hunters should always be prepared to hunt, meaning they have to be fully armed at all times. That's what my dad and the others always told me."

"Oh yeah? Now that's some extreme mindset."

Seiji lightly nodded, then looked at Sonia with narrowed eyes.

"...Still, it looks like you didn't really put that into practice. If you want to be ready to go out hunting at all times, it's also essential to eat properly."

"You sure love to talk, huh! Don't let it get to your head just because you're my benefactor! ...That's right, I won't let you be the benefactor for long! I'll pay off this dept right away."

"Not that it got to my head or anything... Still, how're you going to pay right away? Aren't you pretty much broke right now?"

In retaliation to Seiji’s aggravating demeanor, Sonia made a humorless retort.

“I- I’ll pay it off by working! No complaints there, right!?”

“NYAHAHA! Now that’s one high-spirited young lady, nya! I like it! Since you insisted, I’ll have you work for what you just ate, nya!”

Crossing its arms and puffing up its chest, Django then let out a hearty laugh.

[Illus Here]

“Stop right there, boss. By work, what’re you thinking of having her do?”

“Alright, let’s do it!”

As if to brush away Seiji’s words of objection, Sonia promptly nodded.

“Oh yeah, I’m starting to like the young lady’s attitude more and more, nya. Well, it’s a deal, nya.”

Signaled by Django as if being asked “No complaints, right?”, Seiji responded with a sigh then a nod.

“Oh for the love of... don’t just accept the job when you still don’t know what you’re supposed to do, dammit.”

As Seiji made his statement with an astonished look on his face, Sonia thought for a bit that she might have “messed up”, but it was too late for the girl to turn back on her words.

“Hmph, a hunter must always be up for challenges, was what I meant...... Well- umm, by the way, what am I supposed to do?”

“See, aren’t you totally jumpy?”

“Shut up! Of course I’m not!”

Django shuddered its shoulders in amusement, as it can’t help but be entertained by the pair exchanging their glares.

“Kukuku...... Now, it’s not that big of a deal, nya. You see, this young lady here will be helping our store with stocking up some ingredients, nya.”

“You’re fine with having me do just that? If it’s just procuring ingredients, then I’ll help as much as I can! You can totally count on me!”

Having worried for a moment that she might be ordered to do something ridiculous, Sonia was quite relieved when she heard “helping to stock ingredients”, puffing up her chest with renewed confidence and nodding firmly.

“NYAHAHA! Oh yeah, now that’s the kind of reply I expected- Music to my ears no matter how many times I hear it, nya. Seiji, you’ll also be coaching the young lady on the job, nya.”

“......Oh good grief- I won’t hold myself responsible, you know.”

Standing beside Django, who laughed loudly, Seiji let out a weak sigh.

“—Alright then, it’s about time we set off, nya!”

“S, sure...”

To Django’s enthusiastic exclamation, Sonia gave a dispurited reply.

“Hey hey, what’s up with that half-hearted reply, nya? Is something wrong, young lady? Where’d all that energy from before go, nya? Was it a lie when you said I can ‘totally count on you,’ nya?”

“I- I wasn’t lying, of course...... Anyway, manager. Wasn’t I supposed to be helping with, you know, stocking ingredients?”

“Of course, we’re definitely having you help with stocking ingredients- You didn’t hear it wrong, nya. However—“

Django grinned as it picked up its helmet by the rim.

“I never told you where we would be procuring our ingredients at, nya.”

Nyahaha—. Behind Django, who is laughing merrily while fitting on its F Rathalos S armor, stood Seiji and Thykka who were also putting on their equipment in the same manner, and a Hunter’s Guild Airship that had completed its preparations for departure.

“Now, young lady, you’ll have to work for the portion you ate, nya. That is, at the hunting ground, nya!”

[Prologue End]

14. Hell_ping

Reading List:
    Link
    Title and Chapter: Tosho Meikyuu Prologue
    Author: Sei Toaza

You were running.

“Haa…! Haaa…!”

You were running away.

You were in the hexagonal reading room, surrounded by bookshelves on three sides. It was a labyrinth of unlimited archives, like a beehive. With much desperation, you tried to escape the bottom of the historical library called the ‘Library Labyrinth’.

“Haa, haa…ugh, ha, haa!”

To simply summarize, your life was in danger.

From the darkness of the labyrinth, a stone spear suddenly shot out, opening a massive vent in your flank.

You could feel the blood oozing out from your wound, soaking your coat to your undergarments. The long silver hair was dyed with reddish black spots, and a slight quivering breathing rang at your ear.

“Haa, I have to run away, run away…!!”

While carrying the dying girl on your back, you continued to wander around frantically in the depths of the library labyrinth, dozens of meters beneath the ‘Library Capital Alexandria’.

With the lives of the girl and yours on the line, it was literally a game of tag.

“—Ugh, kahh!”

The blobs of blood dripped from the tips of your hair, and the soles of your boots slipped. You stomped with your right foot to straighten yourself, and gave a blood curdling scream.

15. Barnnn

Barnnn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Title and Chapter: Cross Road - In Their Cases, Chapter 1 Part 1
    Author: Kiriyama Naruto
    Type: Novel

"A movie... you said?"

"Yeah."

As I asked back with reflexive politeness, Momotani-kun gave a bashful nod.

Inside the envelope that he held out were two advance tickets for a foreign animated film that had recently made record-breaking profits, the very one that the people, myself included, have been keeping an eye on.

Don't tell me, this...

"How about this Saturday? Um... the two of us together."

Called it. That's definitely what it is, no guessing needed.

Sweat sprouted out from the top of my head. What should I do? That was totally unexpected. After school at the garbage dump. A classmate and fellow member of the Hygiene Committee. Being called out so inadvertently, I just assumed that it would be about the change in the committee's weekend meeting schedule.

"Didn't you say that you wanted to watch this movie, Kurahashi-san?"

"Um, well, that's..."

...I certainly said that, yes.

"After that, let's go eat some pancakes on our way back. You don't dislike sweet things, do you?"

"Ah, well, yes..."

...Rather than dislike, I actually like them a whole lot, yes.

"If you can't make it on Saturday, then Sunday is fine as well. Any day when you're free, Miho-chan."

"Eh? But..."

...Called by my first name. With -chan affixed, no less.

"It'll be my treat, of course. Then we can go shopping. And after that--"

"W-wait!"

With the intention to interrupt the rapid succession of invitations, a voice so loud that surprised even myself rushed out of my throat

"...Huh?"

Momotani-kun's ceaseless flurry of words stopped for the first time.

"Um, about the movie, well... I'm sorry."

Making sure not to miss the pause, I bowed down so deeply that my glasses levitated over my nose. The line of pine trees bathed in the evening sun, their shadows casting a contrast of light and darkness on the garbage dump. I'm standing in the bright side, while Momotani-kun is in the dark.

"Ah... I see."

Momentarily petrified, Momotani-kun then wrung out a dry voice.

"I'm sorry, really."

"N-no, it's fine, don't be sorry. Um, sorry for asking something weird out of the blue. C'mon, lift your face up already."

"...Yeah."

To think he's worrying about others first even immediately after his invitation was declined... Momotani-kun sure is a wholehearted person.

"That can't be helped, yeah. Sorry, getting in your way when taking out the trash and all."

"It's alright..."

...Should I at least go to the movie, after all?

It's a title I want to see, I do want to try out the pancakes, and Momotani-kun is a nice guy.

"Alright. See you later, then."

And so Momotani-kun left, forcing out a tough smile to the last moment. But contrary to the look on his face, his back showed an honest expression of sadness.

No, this won't do. I can't let him go like this. I have to tell him. There's something I have to tell Momotani-kun...

"Momotani-kun."

"Huh?"

As I called out, Momotani-kun turned back around in a snap. His eyes that had clouded with disappointment shone with a glimmer of hope. I stood before him and fixed my eyes on his.

"About the weekend Hygiene Committee meeting, it got moved to tomorrow's lunch break."

"Huh?"

"...Don't forget that. You have to attend, alright?"

"Meeting...?"

By all means, now might not be the best timing to be informed of official businesses. Though one has to wonder, would any other Hygiene Committee member be able to take in the news while having such a sad face?

But, but, this is about tomorrow...

If I'm going to inform him, faster should be better...

"Got it. See you tomorrow, then..."

No longer able to keep the smile on his face up, Momotani-kun walked off, shoulders dropped.

I'm so sorry, Momotani-kun.

I'm not sure how I should say it, but... Sorry for being like this.

16. Barnnn

Barnnn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Title and Chapter: Uchiage Hanabi, Shita kara Miru ka? Yoko kara Miru ka? - Prologue
    Author: Oone Hitoshi

In my childhood, I could keep my eyes open underwater.

I could see everything clearly, even without a scuba mask or goggles.

Before my eyes, bubbles of varying sizes floated up and burst apart.

As if they were silent fireworks.

I had a thought, that if I could breathe down there, if I kept on swimming through the water, maybe I could reach another world.

But as I lost my breath, I raised my face from the swimming pool to meet the blue sky and white clouds.

From the silent world back to the real world, ringing with the school's bell chime and noisy cicada cries.

There is but a single world.

That's only natural.

However, that summer...

Surely, I got to experience the other... Wait, no, not just one.

Together with her, I got to experience numerous "What-If Worlds".

The wind turbines, the lighthouse's light, the coastal railroad, the swimming pool wall which had its paint peeled off here and there.

The iron doors that raised a rusty sound as they opened, the beech tree of an unknown age that stood at the three-way intersection, the classroom filled with background chatter...

The image of her stood in every single one of those sceneries that popped up in my mind.

Her back view in the school's uniform as she gazed at the sea, her face when she turned around in the classroom, her splendid crawl swimming form, her stature in a yukata, her eyes that gazed at me amid the sunset...

And the voice of her cry and shout.

"Norimichi-kun!"

Surely, in those "numerous worlds" that I had experienced back then, I had seen some warped sceneries. Heard some distorted sounds.

Her name, it's Nazuna.

What if... back then... What if... back then, I had... What if... back then, Nazuna had... If only I could.... return to that time...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  17. Barnnn

Barnnn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Title and Chapter: Akoma Zero - Prologue
    Author: Commodore F
    Language: Thai
    Type: Light Novel (yes, that's what the publisher calls it)

Bodin High School had a story of a certain man. The man who stood on the top of the food chain. Invincible, he had conquered all territories and destroyed everything that came in his way. In an age filled conflict and competition among schools' gangs, all who dared challenge him faced utter defeat. The man referred to as a 'demon,' his name...

"Come eat your breakfast already, lil' man!"

The father, while cooking in the kitchen, called out to the son in his bedroom. The man, his wife, and his child lived in a house located in the outskirts of Bangkok. The front part of the house functioned as a restaurant, one which the man himself cooks for, with occasional assistance from his rascal of a son. As his wife was not home for the day, the duty of fixing up lunch for the boy fell to the man.

"Can't I sleep more, Pa? It's a holiday and all..."

The son replied from his bedroom up on the second floor, and the father took a glance at the clock on the wall before lightly shaking his head.

"It's almost 2 PM now, lil' man... More than half of your holiday's been wasted to those video games..."

"Yawn..."

The short, narrow-eyed boy absentmindedly walked out of his bedroom, mouth agape in an endless yawn, slowly but surely making his way into the bathroom. He had spent all of the previous night playing video games, going to bed only when he realized that the sun had already risen.

After washing his face, brushing his teeth, and taking care of other personal businesses, the boy went straight to the dining table downstairs. The father placed a bowl of meatball noodle soup in front of his son before taking his seat opposite to the boy.

"Your Ma was super pissed this morning, y'know. Ranted on and on about how ya spent all night playing those games of yours. Isn't it nice that I managed to stop her from waking ya up early? Have some gratitude, will ya?"

"Hm~m..."

The boy gave a quiet reply while slurping up a large portion of noodles.

"So, how's school?"

The father asked up before slurping up his own portion.

"Well, sports day just ended. Super tiring work, that."

"Sports day, eh? Takes me way back."

"By the way, Pa, you went to Bodin High as well, yeah?"

"Why'd you ask?"

"I talked about it with Ma the other day. About when you were a Bodin High student, that is."

Hearing that, the father raised his eyebrows as a sign of curiosity.

"And?"

"So I've been told a lot of stuff, y'see... About Ma, and chronicles of your heroic deeds..."

"......"

“Ma also told me about this super scary Bodin High student. Strikes everyone down on the spot at a single glance. Wiped out all the gangs. Boys, girls, kids, adults, no discrimination...”

“Wait, there was someone like that?”

The father frowned his brows, confused. In his memory of that time, he never recalled there being anyone that fit his son’s description. He gave it a thought while eating the rest his noodles, but nothing came up by the time he finished.

“Well, I’m actually not that serious about it. I’m more interested in your school days, Pa.”

The son said, picking up a meatball and chewing it casually like a gum.

“It’s not that interesting, really.”

Hearing that, the father immediately dodged the inquiry.

“C’mon, Pa, don’t keep the good stuff to yourself.”

“Nah, it’s just some mundane stuff. Nothing special, honest.”

“Eh, I don’t really want to hear it. But if you’re going to tell, I’ll give it a listen.”

“The hell’s up with that tone? Seriously though, I’m too lazy to tell stories right now.”

“Don’t be like that, Pa. And here I am, willing to listen to you for once, yeah?”

“You lil’ brat... Inherited that attitude from your Ma, I’m sure...”

“Both Pa and Ma, yeah.”

The father narrowed his eyes and glared at the son, shook his head lightly, then asked,

“And why do you want to know so badly? Hmm, lil’ man?”

“Well... It’s just that... Ma said she met you at school...”

“And?”

“And she refused to tell me about it.”

“And so you came to me instead? You sly little...”

The father shook his head, before holding up a glass of water and chugging down its contents.

“So, still want to listen?”

The man asked again for affirmation. The little rascal did not give a verbal answer, only nodding his head once. Deeming the action unavoidable, the father sighed and straightened his sitting posture...

“It’s a long story, so... Let’s see... Here’s how it all started...”

18. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    necro necro necro
    I don't care if it necro!
    I want new teaser!

Fulminata and Ddraig like this.
  19. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Phoenix down!!!

asriu likes this.
  20. Barnnn

Barnnn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, might as well post something...

Title: Shinigami wo Tabeta Shoujo, Volume 1 Chapter 0 (Scene 1)
    Author: Nanasawa Matari

"Say, do you believe in the Death God?"

While on the rocking carriage, the soldier with a scarred cheek sparked a conversation with the man beside him. He did so while downing liquor, all the while revealing a cynical grin.

"Death God? The hell's that about?"

"Oh c'mon, just answer. Believe or no?"

"Dunno about any Death Gods, but I've seen countless people with faces that might as well be demons. And I'm tired of looking at demons, so if there are Death Gods, then by all means, lemme see one. So, yeah, I'll believe it if you'd like. And if you gimme the booze, that is!"

He snatched the bottle, and without waiting for a replay, proceeded to drink right from it. The flowing liquor spilt out of his mouth.

Within this vicinity were disposable soldiers hired with gold. Mercenaries, so they were called. If it was for gold, they would do anything.

A tragedy had been scheduled to take place henceforth. The one who thought of this scenario was undoubtedly a demon that wore human skin.

Even these men, who do not choose their work, would instinctively frown upon such a task. Even so, they could not refuse; that was what defined the mercenaries as what they were.

"Like the famous folklores that tell of Valkyries descending upon heroes on the brink of their deaths, my hometown had another one of those passed around."

"Huh, and that's the Death God?"

The man, in good humour from having consumed liquor, followed up on the conversation. The others, having time to spare, also started listening attentively.

"That's right. But it won't descend upon just about anyone. It's those with extraordinary desires or ambitions -- it will only appear before them when they face an unfulfilling death. In other words, it seems that the Death God only goes to those who stay stubborn 'till the very end."

"So what, will it grant them their wishes before they die or something? You sure you're not mistaking it with a Goddess? Man, I'd like to meet it, too. When I die, I want me to be under a lovely lady..."

Heh heh, the man produced a vulgar grin. Uninterested, the scar-cheeked soldier continued his story.

"...It's an unsightly skeleton monster, clad in a black hood and bearing with it a scythe. I wouldn't want to meet it. You see, the Death God reveals itself for the purpose of reaping strong negative emotions. So as to savour the boiling desires. After the pitiful lambs were thoroughly tormented, they would be slaughtered in good humour."

"Reeks of bogus, man. Where's the source of that story, anyway? That fellow's alive, yeah?"

"Of course. The dead tell no tales, after all."

"Ugh, I was a fool for listenin' so seriously."

"Well, at least it probably won't come to you. You're looking like a dying stray dog with that face you're making."

"Heh, I don't wanna hear that especially from you... Look, we're almost there. Let's get ready."

Several carriages parked in the vicinity of a remote agricultural village, and the mercenaries within prepared their Royal Army flags, then skillfully equipped their helmets and armour.

All at once, they stepped down from their carriers and moved to their positions, so as to besiege the village.

"I know it's for the gold, but I'm not really feelin' it, you know. I mean, it's goin' to be a massacre, yeah?"

In an indication of feelings contrary to his words, the man fiddled with the profit-making pike in his palms.

"If you don't like it, you can always turn back. But you won't be getting your cut."

"Heh heh, it's our job all the same. Might as well enjoy myself, at least. This seems to be for the so-called just cause as well, so there's no way around it."

"...Alright, let's go. Don't let any of them get away. I won't mind if you're going to enjoy yourself, but make sure to clean up the mess when it's over."

The man gave his signal, and the mercenaries, under the guise of the Royal Army, proceeded to lay siege to the village.

It was not a rare happening for needy villages to be devastated by assaults from bandits and the like.

The only difference in this particular occurrence was that the plunderers were "soldiers of the Kingdom".

The starving villagers of the Kingdom, ones suffering from continued crop failures, were being trampled on mercilessly by their plunderers. Soldiers of the Kingdom, who ought to protect them, were now brandishing blades against them.

Their taxes had been paid without fail. However, it had been demanded that they handed more over. They could not offer any more, the Village Chief had pleaded in tears, and the soldiers had cut him down without a hint of indecision.

Unable to even put up a decent resistance, one pitiful life after another was snuffed out. For peasants unversed in the art of battle, all they could do was attempt to escape.

Throughout the village, screams and shouts were raised, and before long, subsided. The plunderers tormented and looted as they desired, then proceeded to set houses on fire, so as to not leave even traces behind.

A parent and child saw an opening and tried to escape from the village, but they were picked off by a volley of well-aimed arrows, dropping down like marionettes with severed strings.

Not one soul could escape from this cauldron of hell; they were not allowed to do so.

In the purgatory, where everything was to be burnt away--

A certain girl, one dangerously scrawny and with hollowed eyes, had shut herself in a derelict hut. Held so precious-like in her hands was a small piece of bread that she had taken amid the chaos. She did not have enough stamina remaining to attempt an escape.

Her family had abandoned her and tried to escape by themselves, and were slaughtered in their tracks. The forsaken girl, upon bearing witness to such a scene, had made haste for refuge in the drab hut.

She had been unable to provide sufficient help with farm work, and had been treated as a burden by not only the villagers, but also her parents. Things would be better off if she were to die, they had thought.

Therefore, she was the only one to have been left behind, and consequently, the only one to have survived thus far. After all, the village had been completely surrounded; escape was impossible.

However, the conclusion would most likely be the same. What awaited at the end of the line was death.

The girl's heart was filled with resignation, despair, lamentation, and misery. A mingling of various emotions.

--But when she looked at the bread in her tight grasp, her dirtied face produced a seemingly happy smile.

"...Food. Mine -- My bread. This bread is all mine."

Death of her family, fear for her impending death -- The girl cared for neither. A single thought dominated her mind. The one and only desire triumphed over all.

It was an animalistic instinct pronounced "I'm hungry" -- The desire called appetite.

Having been this way since birth, the girl had never been "full".

The barren land had no hope of sufficient harvest, and to add insult to injury, the people had been levied brutal tax rates. Capable men had been conscripted into the army; only the women, children, elderly, and physically impaired had been left to inhabit the village.

What little available of the food supplies had been allocated to those who could work. For those who went out hunting, those who did farm work, and those who were parenting.

The girl was scrawny and lacking in strength; she had been unable to carry out at such tasks properly.

One who does not work shall not eat, so the saying went. Accordingly, she had not been fed with much more than scraps.

Meagre provisions resulted in her lacking strength, and in turn, continued incompetence at work. As merciless punishment, her share would be reduced further. The vicious cycle went on to the very end.

Starvation had almost driven her to insanity, and there were times when she had resorted to eating weed. Perhaps it was a miracle that she still clung to life under such circumstances. Other agricultural villages have had to kill children off to reduce the number of mouths they had to feed. On the boundary between the living and the dead, the girl had somehow managed to persevere.

[Edit]
    Full Chapter 0 has been posted here:
    http://barnnn.blogspot.com/2018/09/the-girl-who-ate-death-god-upper-bound.html

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    asriu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.