Discussion [Rant] My problem with harem in novel

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Fluffy Jellyfish, Dec 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it is ridiculous that some authors out there resort to harem route after making a nice, fluffy or intense moment between MC and the first love interest he meet right after transmigrated/reincarnated or reborn.

I mean can't they explore their relationship more or just make a confict in their relationship because of difference in belief? Why tf you suddenly remove the girl from the scene and replace her with another girl?
    Don't mention the worst of it is the first girl just 'accept it' and become a trophy later on. Also the authors didn't satisfied with adding 2-3 more girls into their novel, instead in any kind of new place or realm he suddenly become savior towards different girls just because he is the fuckin Main Character and end up banging them and adding them to his trophy collection.

It is that hard to write to make a dynamic between MC and one female lead? or it is the market demands harem more than loyal relationship? Or they think that a MC with single wife is boring and restrict how the story develop later on?

How you view this matter? any comments are welcomed
    Thanks for your attention :blobangel:

Acidic 0, mir, Arexio and 11 others like this.
  2. tacosgalore

tacosgalore Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    On web novel there are people that beg for a novel to be harem. I don't like that.

3. pukeofhurl

pukeofhurl The Philosopher

Reading List:
    Link
    Coiling dragon single wife for hundreds of thousands of years

Spoiler shes not the only love interest to start out

4. Kagutsuchi

Kagutsuchi 『Omnipresent Reader』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, there's always novels for everyone. There are novels with good romance and one female lead and others with genre: harem. Why would you complain about him not staying with one woman when it is already tagged as harem?
    There are good harems, and bad harems, as always.
    There are genres for everyone.
    There are a lot of romance (one FL) novels too, but they aren't translated because harem gives them more readers for free.

For harems, I think 4 is enough to give them a good development, but there are exceptions.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  5. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Reading this I have the impression you're mainly talking about Chinese authors, yes? Even more specifically of xianxia/wuxia/xuanhuan genre?
    Then the harem is just the (supposedly) historical norm, and the girls becoming trophies is just bad writing

6. Fluffy Jellyfish

Reading List:
    Link
    I know, but some people also rant that Delia is just there to be his wife and didn't have any development.

Arexio likes this.
  7. Fluffy Jellyfish

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm asking about that in the first place, why they resort to harem?

8. pukeofhurl

pukeofhurl The Philosopher

Reading List:
    Link
    to be fair thats not entirely incorrect... another example is duoluo dalu and some of the other novels written by that author the female leads usually start out really good but eventually written out somehow

Why harem though... cuz fantasy power tripping author you gotnsuper powers immortals wealth and WOMEN

9. niks27

niks27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I suppose the reason first girl accepts the harem bcoz it's normal for a strong men to have more than a one woman. You know theirs difference in culture between modern earth and cultivation world.
    I don't particularly hate harems but when the number of girls exceeds more than 5 girls and then mc leaves behind previous girls just to add different girls in different places, it starts getting on my nerves. And when author adds girls to harem just to move the plot is really annoying.

Fluffy Jellyfish and EmEm like this.
  10. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    They just write whatever sells, man.

11. EmEm

EmEm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For author it's easier to add another girl to the harem, it's a fresh start for character development and everyone can find one of them interesting enough to continue reading that novel, when with only one girl many people might not like her and there is no alternative.
    And of course there is another side of this "coin" - readers.
    People are reading novels to run away from reality (fantasy, sci-fi, etc.) so it's not to surprising that relationships aren't "standard" either

Kagutsuchi and Fluffy Jellyfish like this.
  12. ADABANA

ADABANA Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    sex sells

Acidic 0 likes this.
  13. Fluffy Jellyfish

Reading List:
    Link
    But when they repeat the same shit for every new arc it becomes so dull and disgusting, not to mention that there are many authors that start using this 'harem' thing and become the common theme to move the plot forward

14. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    Average romance is better than average harem. Why? Because it's only two characters in romance, and many more in harem. Even an average writer will be able to make what he writes a lot more meaningful than any harem novel could aspire to be.

That is, unless you're Mao Ni and you're writing Joy of Life. He takes his time to flesh all the relevant characters out, and introduces them very sensibly - as characters relevant to the story, not as harem member #69. Also, it's only at two to three members after four hundred chapters. Unfortunately, this demands skill and effort of the author.

Fluffy Jellyfish likes this.
  15. KazuXSora

KazuXSora Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Polygamy isnt a normal things in society and novel are practically an escapism so it must have something which isnt common and must be fiction so this is where harem enter... I think lol.

Arexio likes this.
  16. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    Technically theyre right. CD was never meant to be a romance story, it was just there to add depth to Linley.

The point of CD was the journey a boy took to become a god.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  17. EmEm

EmEm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not saying that every author knows what he is doing:)

18. Spnagi

Spnagi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When it's done well it goes,
    Like the novel Transcending the Nine heaven.

If not I read novel for girls with monogamy relation too,
    It's a little boring too when the Male protagonist always saves the FC, because
    because he is perfect and in love with the fc

Now that I think about it, I have not read a lot of novels for guys with only one girl at the end.

19. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Somehow as i didn't read lot of CN/cultivation novels, i didn't get to see harems where girls/women are forgotten. I guess you can only blame authors for writting bad harem romance and/or the translators for choosing them.
    Martial Arts Master is a masterpiece (that surely you will agree too) because of how romance is written and that it's not harem + drama free. Sadly Webnovel stopped translating it.
    There is also My Cold and Elegant CEO Wife, it's harem but for the few chapters i saw, somehow author gave some private moments (not sex) to MC with some harem members.

Also try to think about it, what can you do with your wife in a wuxia/isekai/medieval world ? Explore, walk in town, buy stuffs, buy food, and sex, mostly sex.
    I will repeat myself and agree that surely romance needs good skills to pull it off nicely.

Also really happy to hear that Joy of Life pull off the harem part (i'm still at the negociations with some kind of country and there is only 1 girl (2 if you include the sister, 3 if the combat maniac girl fall in love too) together with MC).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  20. Fluffy Jellyfish

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh boi, here we go with TTNH as a good reference.
    from the synopsis it is already bullshit. He regret not reciprocate the woman who loved in his first live and decided to make a harem in his second life? Ok I'm fuckin out !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.