Raspi or Orange Pi?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Rizkiv1, May 4, 2018.

1. Rizkiv1

Rizkiv1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, when i want to buy orange Pi zero, i found raspberry Pi 1 B which little cheaper than former. Can u give recommend/opinion about which i buy? Thanks.

2. Mr Pancakes

Mr Pancakes Well-Known Pancake

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't used any of them but a friend of mine has a Raspberry Pi and he loves it. I think it was RPI 2 or 3 though... You should also check internet reviews, and specifications if you know what you are doing. You should also know what you will be using it for. Good luck and happy coding/building/making!

3. Fallion

Fallion [Indolence Personified]

Reading List:
    Link
    I was almost certain this was about drinks because I didn't see it was in Tech Discussion. I prefer orange btw (still talking about drinks, I don't know **** about technology)

4. Rizkiv1

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah as long as it cheap maybe i will drink it.

I just want to create nas. Maybe later with web server, or anything.
    The problem is raspi B get released 2012 and orange Pi zero 2016-2017 iirc. So with difference time release, doesn't it have better performance for orange Pi?:hmm:

5. bob3002

bob3002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on what you're doing. I noticed on this table that the Raspberry Pi 1B only has a single core while all the Orange Pi models have 4 cores, so if that matters to you you might want to pay a little more for either an Orange Pi or a Raspberry Pi 2 or 3.

Edit: While I was typing this OP replied with more info. If you want to make a NAS, consider the interfaces (SATA or SD card) and the connection speeds (wireless or ethernet speeds) in the linked charts above.

6. Rizkiv1

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, so based on the wiki, orange much better. Thanks, i'm search it on Google but not found. Maybe wrong keyword?:hmm:
    Anyway, thanks for recommendation.

7. Rizkiv1

Reading List:
    Link
    I just need USB 2.0, cause i need it for storage which is internal drive with external case and currently i access it from smartphone(doesn't have PC or laptop).

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  8. bob3002

bob3002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, okay. Any of them should work for your use case if you're limited to USB 2.0 and wireless, then. Good luck.

Rizkiv1 likes this.
  9. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Orange PI is a Raspberry PI knockoff, so I would imagine Raspberry PI has a larger community. Not to mention, a large portion of Raspberry PIs are made by Sony in the UK so they should be of higher quality.

That said, if you plan to use it for NAS, do you plan to do transcoding? Newer processor will transcode better and have support for things like HEVC and the like, on the other hand, Raspberry PI has support for VC1 and MPEG2(but you have to pay extra) which is hard to find as a lot of devices don't license it.