LCD Reincarnator

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by NeaxD, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Maraderchik

Maraderchik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didnt really care abot "hostage" issue. I clearly statetd my point about people attacked new translators and the reason why they did it.
    And there is special cases like Wuxia Dream its another topic abot people didnt like these scumbags.

2. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha. Well I am pointing it out to you that new translator of hostage novels which the thread is talking about are attacked not because of quality.
    If you are not interested in hostage issue, then why respond to a post about the hostage issue?
    I have no idea what you are trying to do........

You have an issue with sites and quality, sure but that is not what was being talked about by me or those whom I responded to.
    And when people talk about new translators, it means quality is good.. I never said new MTL translators.
    Over and out

3. Maraderchik

Maraderchik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There literally no second version of Reincarnator that isnt mtl.
    And if anyone will translate this(aside feom ekdud) and this will be at a good quality and have stable updates instead of 1 chapter per 2.5 month im sure there will be no one who would blame or attack new translators (aside from previous translator lol).

How didnt you underatand that im arguing second part (about attacking new translator) of your statement and not the first( about take hostage)? Or you just deliberately ignore this?

4. kfahad

kfahad 『The Lurker Beast』『Beast fallen』

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually guys you're taking hostage of this LTD. xD

5. Shield Loyalist

Shield Loyalist 『Instinctive』『Status: Hungry for Growth』

Reading List:
    Link
    Just noticed that it got ported over to that site. I guess this will be the first Korean off my reading list because of them.

Who for Konjiki? I only recall about the time when Anri TL'ed for a few chapters. People were already dissatisfied with the numerous change of TLs.

But there were still people who were happy that she(?) continued a hanging novel and requested to keep translating.

fanobody likes this.
  6. anonnovelupdates

anonnovelupdates Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My spirit stones are ready. Where is chapter 411?

Meloman and Wujigege like this.
  7. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    My website. I only did one chapter though to prove my point. I discovered that translating just one chapter can lit a fire under their behind that the ones holding the novel hostage will pick up the pace.
    Also the rule for Novel Updates is actually 30 days for a new translator to pick it up, not 3 months.
    Translators are not saints. Putting them on a pedestal is stupid

Meloman and Isaic like this.
  8. Isaic

Isaic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, I was just reading a novel, on webnovel, and it stopped because of these stipulations in the contract (stipulations are paraphrased):

1. First 200k words are free
    2. When you sign, they have the licensing rights to your novel so they can sell it anywhere.
    3. If you earn under $200, they do not have to pay you.
    4. If you earn over $200, they can delay any payment for up to 3 months.
    5. While under contract, if they ask you to do a book signing in China/Ph etc, then you must attend at your own expense.
    6. While contracted, they can tell you "suggestions" on how to make your story better for the readers (They tell you what to write).
    7. While contracted, they can hire someone else to write instead of you.
    8. If you can not comply with their "suggestions" they have the right to terminate your contract.
    9. If terminated, you must pay back ALL the money you've earned while under contract + any damage they foresee to charge you with.
    10. If terminated, they will try to get the copyright of your novel so they can sell it anywhere with 100% profit.
    11. All sales/ss/ad revenue will be split 50/50 with you and Webnovel.
    12. They have other charges too, so you'll really end up with about 30% of the profit, then if you've got editor/artist that you've got to pay, will become much less.
    13. All ss revenue will be for paying ss only, any free will not generate any money for you.

How the hell does a contract like this get signed? Ever? I don't know much about China's policies, but why would anyone agree to such absurb and unfavorable terms?

Oh, the reason for posting this is that I don't think we'll be getting any new translator for Reincarnator since it is on webnovel. Is Webnovel just Qidian renamed?

9. DarkPriest

DarkPriest Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yes

anonnovelupdates likes this.
  10. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Because standard authors make $0
    The contract is for authors not translators.
    You need to get informed.
    The contract is actually great compared to the alternative eg Wattpad or RoyalRoadL

11. Isaic

Isaic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know the contract is for authors. Why would an author post their work there for such terms? I would think it would be better to have your own site with ad revenue or subscriptions like there was a few years ago.

Is the contract for translators better?

12. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    You have people like CKtalon who gets $100 or more per chapter.
    You underestimate the importance of exposure and how difficult it is to make it.
    What about Syosetu? There is zero chance of getting a contract from them.
    Ad revenue? Haha that's a joke. I run a website myself, you will be lucky to earn $0.10 in ad revenue from an original novel.
    You overestimate amateur authors.
    I see many disparaging and laugh at their stupidity.
    An author with zero clout, prestige thinks he or she is J.K Rowling or Stephen King.
    All this allegedly Amazon Kindle millionaires make their money selling courses not from books.

Meloman and anonnovelupdates like this.
  13. Isaic

Isaic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You're right, at least in my case I wouldn't have read that novel if I hadn't seen it on their site. I suppose exposure is quite difficult to build.

Though if anyone offered me a contract like that in my field I would certainly look at them as idiots. I'm not a writer though, and in my field a good product almost sells itself.

14. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    The issue is the greed of consumers.
    People are stupid enough to think Amazon or Netflix is a good thing.
    You cannot share $9.99 amongst thousands of authors. That is the price of one average book
    A professionally self published book costs $3,000 to edit and proofread.
    Qidian is simply cutting corners with their model.
    Same with Syosetu.
    They have authors battle against themselves, spent nothing to groom the authors and have readers pick the winners.
    I watched 100 Million Yen Women and traditional publishing houses usually assign editors to their authors. Imagine if Qidian had to assign editors to each author?
    Their costs would be astronomical.
    People still consider Qidian books expensive. I laugh my ass off. Amazon does not even offer any kind of vetting.
    There was a time self publishers were putting the last page on the front since Amazon only paid when readers read the entire book. It was an exploit for their Kindle Unlimited program. It was fixed though.
    Authors with a brain do not use that.
    With platforms like Amazon that exploit authors it has gotten more difficult for traditional publishers.
    Qidian might be bad but it makes authors millionaires unlike Amazon

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    Meloman likes this.
  15. Isaic

Isaic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I
    I didn't know the publishing world was so rough, or that Qidian had such a large consumer base that they could make authors millionaires. I expected a their base would be around a few hundred thousand, but then again I never put much thought into it or did the math.

Wujigege likes this.
  16. Shield Loyalist

Shield Loyalist 『Instinctive』『Status: Hungry for Growth』

Reading List:
    Link
    The other conditions are still near the borderline but this is pretty much bullsh*t. They have to pay Qidian back for the effort that they lose access to?!

Someone should report this to UN! In case you don't get this part, it's sarcasm towards UN and their inability to actually end human rights violations

Arbalest likes this.
  17. Scythe244

Scythe244 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If those are the same QI contract conditions I've seen discussed elsewhere, then they might not all be true. I remember reading elsewhere that apparently the poster never actually got a contract and some other authors who had contracted had stated that it wasn't right. I didn't do the research myself but with anything QI these days I take it all with a grain of salt...

More importantly, lets stop talking about QI (which has been discussed to death elsewhere) and actually talk about the novel in question: Reincarnator! They've literally had that thing on their app for a couple months at least and not a single chapter! I mean, come on guys! Some of the other Munpia novels on QI are pretty good but just not the same thing at all. Makes me wonder about crowdfunding chapters again, though given the general level of entitlement I've been seeing amongst WN readers I think I'd have more success learning Korean myself lol. :blob_coughblood:

Wujigege and anonnovelupdates like this.
  18. Isaic

Isaic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I posted a pick-up request in the webnovel forums, but I don't expect to see a reaction anytime soon.

19. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s like it would be cheaper to buy a paperback... that’s what annoys me the most with buying stones. I’m all for supporting the author or translator, but at about three times the price of a book in a store it just feels like a rip off. And who likes to be ripped off?

20. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    You can read the entire book for free with daily Spirit Stones.
    Let's be honest here, average paperback cost is ruining publishing houses. You need bestsellers to make even. Amazon pretty much killed the industry. Given that they do not publish their own books : Vanity Publishing doesn't count. Their prices are ridiculous.
    • Traditional publishers bet on authors and hope a bestseller will help them break even after duds.
    • Qidian bets on impatient addicts to break even(Using the Pay to win game model)
    Neither model is sustainable but greed by consumers is the root cause. People want content at ridiculous prices. You either exploit readers(Qidian) or authors(Amazon and Vanity Publishing).
    There is no middle ground(Traditional publishing)

Meloman likes this.