Feature Request Requesting a pinned thread with rejected requests

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by Thormation, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Thormation

Thormation Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There seem to be certain features that are frequently requested as desired by users, but are repeatedly rejected by the powers that be for a variety of reasons. And because these features are desired, and also because there is a constant inflow of new users who don't know what is and isn't discussed to death and/or rejected, it would be useful is there was a pinned thread called something like "Read this before you start a Request Thread" that has a list of the most frequently requested things, and ideally a reason that they are rejected (this can be something simple like "Site Owner Will Not Allow" or "Not Technically Possible").

This will not stop all the instances of new users asking for forbidden/impossible things, but it should cut down on the number of times the request comes up, and therefore reduce the irritation of the people who have to read and respond to these requests.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Thormation

Thormation Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, that's interesting but it doesn't address the issue. A "To Do" list is different from a "Never Do" list. (And the very short Never Do list hidden at the bottom of the second post doesn't address some of the topics that I see coming up and being shot down in the Suggestions & Bug Reports forum.

And even if your linked thread actually were to address the issue, it's not of much use unless someone popping into the forums for the first time can actually find it. If the information (in this case "Requests That Will Never Be Granted") is not pinned to the top of the appropriate forum with a clear and informative title, then you can never expect anyone to find it. Rather that wasting their time digging and searching for something which might not even exist, the average user is going assume they are a brilliant pioneer and that they are asking a question never asked before.

4. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    It's pinned at the top of this subforum, I expect everyone that wants to make a future request to read it first to see if their suggestion is already there... The "never do" list at the bottom should be read too if the person is bothering with reading that.

As for suggestions that are turned down time and time again and that are not in that list, unless Tony is sure he won't ever implement it, than it won't be added. More often than not, it's users or other mods that turn the suggestions down, not Tony.

5. Thormation

Thormation Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then I would respectfully request that the thread title be expanded slightly to be a bit more descriptive? "To Do List" by itself is a little cryptic, and doesn't give any indication whether this list is current...especially since the lists posted there say they were last updated in 2017.

If the title was, for example "TO DO LIST: A Current List of Features that are Planned, In Progress, or Rejected" then there would be no confusion at all what the post was for and why someone might want to click on it.

And if nothing else is going to change, please add "The ability to filter out novels by nation of origin on the front page" to the list of "Things that won't happen until the next 1000 years". This one keeps coming up (I'd like it myself) and keeps getting shot down, with the explanation being that Tony said "no". (I'd link examples, except I don't gain that ability until after I post this.)