Rising of the Shield Hero...how is it?

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by userunfriendly, Jan 17, 2019.

1. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    Tate no Yūsha no Nariagari is out, and though I’m waiting a bit to build up episodes to binge on, as I’ve never read the novel or manga. But I know others here are fans.

I love a Tensei Shitara Slime as a WN reader, a LN reader and I read the manga. Therefore I like how the anime is good to the source and love the anime.

How is the anime for Tate? Faithful to the source? Closer to the manga or LN? Good jokes, good adaptation of the plots and subplots?

I’m interested in how this adaptation is doing.:aww:

2. Whoisthatbookworm

Whoisthatbookworm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The novel is great
    Didnt read manga
    Anime is so far so controversial but really good
    IF you like that type of story

3. roata11

roata11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So far, it's good. But man watching b*tch in animation irk me so much

4. Panzaro

Panzaro It's just mayonnaise~

Reading List:
    Link
    Going by the vocal minority of viewers, wHich IS thE OnLY fACtion of viEWErs WoRTh listeninq tooo bTw, the show is litteraly hitler.

Anonymousbb likes this.
  5. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To clarify, the "controversy" has nothing to do with the quality of the anime or how faithful it is to the source material. In the beginning of the story, the protagonist is falsely accused of rape. You can imagine what kind of "controversy" that sparked.

It might blow over if the anime gets far enough through the source material to introduce the accuser's mother. A strong Queen who sets things straight, punishes her daughter and puts the oh-so-patriarchal King back on his leash. Pfft.

6. kennykdogg

kennykdogg Sage of 7 sins

Reading List:
    Link
    if you like slime you would hate this.
    the MC is seen as a demon and he embraces it because the world is full of evil and corruption.

userunfriendly likes this.
  7. yogesh12

yogesh12 Hater of Generic Novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm Tate no yuusha is good except for the trust issues the MC has

8. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually no I can't imagine. I mean if it had happened in real life there would be people on both sides of the fence, those that condemned, and those that absolved. This is a story though, we as readers know for a fact that the Shield Hero is innocent, and that the charge made against him is fraudulent. So where exactly is the controversy coming from?

9. SupahHamster

SupahHamster 『The One Who Lurks』

Reading List:
    Link
    Unfortunately, there are many people in the world that cannot differentiate between a story and real life. Don't get me wrong, this type of stuff can be taken way too far, but the problem seems to be that people are offended by the idea of a false rape accusation on a man. The fact that the false accusation is in the story is enough to create controversy.

Here is the review that started it all (as an archived page because I believe they took down the original).

https://archive.ph/Os8B2

It is worth noting that it is a minority and that overall reviews of the show by the community are positive.

This is going to sound hypocritical from me since I am most definitely salty about this whole situation but I honestly recommend just staying out of the controversy and giving the first episode a try. In my opinion, the show is very well made with good music, consistent animation, great world building and atmosphere, interesting characters and a great story. Just check it out and see if you enjoy it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Lonelycity, anon, Cosmic_ and 2 others like this.
  10. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    A vocal minority who see the false accusation of rape as a devaluation of rape accusations in reality. I won't get into that at all.

Lonelycity, anon, Ryan_Oliver and 3 others like this.
  11. Rivenn

Rivenn 【I eat fruit】【commonhouseman】【RV_n/Rivelle】

Reading List:
    Link
    snowflake haters who just want a reason to get triggered. and f*minists who are actually fe* supr*macist.
    and id*ots who think they know better cause they know a bit

it's an era where you have to make an opinion of your own, and see for yourself really

anon and Goblin Sleuth like this.
  12. Goblin Sleuth

Reading List:
    Link
    Fucking christ some people shouldn't be allowed to breed. You know you would think they would go after the people making false rape accusations in real life, rather than wasting their time on a fictional scenario.

anon likes this.
  13. Shizun

Shizun 《Jack of all trades》《Artist/Author》《Dao of BLedia》

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm bit disappointed with episode 2, cuz the way raphtalia wasnt very good potrait in my opinion, first of all she looked way too clean, her skin and somehow the way she talked....

Another thing in episode 1, the princess was not btchy enough for me, her expression shouldve been a bit more to the nasty kind.

Episode 2 felt sorta strange.... all the scenes... i guess the skip to another scene part wasnt very good.

14. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh come on. He tries to embrace it, sure, but he's about as grim and dark as a kid in a halloween costume. He has some emotional baggage and his thoughts can be a bit messed up, but his actions are really anything but. For the most part, it's all light hearted and fluffy as heck.

Lonelycity and anon like this.
  15. Goblin Sleuth

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah the only thing you can do when people go full retard is just ignore them and pretend they don't exist. Hell even talking about the Shield Hero Controversy is probably a bad idea. Well I doubt any of the aforementioned individuals will see this, but still it is the principle of the thing.

People that go out of their way to find ways to get offended, are just seeking validation for their small egos. In most cases giving their "movement/protest" the slightest bit of acknowledgement for them is the same as gaining that validation. So ignore, ignore, ignore, and pretend they don't exists. Then eventually they'll go away.

16. Expatamoeba

Expatamoeba Have eyes but still couldn't see Mount Tai

Reading List:
    Link
    It's enjoyable just like Slime Isekai. Have few cons here and there but so does 99% of anime out there.

I don't give a crap about the so called controversy. Those feminist SJW will find even the smallest things to get themselves triggered just to prove their existence.

17. Charles83

Charles83 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read the (i think was the original webnovel), it was tough, specially in several ways, the series is not your usual japanese wish fulfillment story, it is an appropiate adventure story that has a beginning a middle and an end, all properly paced, I felt the ending was a tiny bit disconnected with the rest of the series, but that's just my personal opinion, also there was reasons why most of the stuff happen, and the hero did need to work hard to set some of those things rights, the personal growth of the main character is minimal for most of the series, but it is done on purpose and when the protagonist finally "matures" is due to a very tragic event, and it sort of shows you how the hero had trapped himself and why he did not grow up for so long.

This is a serious story, not a kids wish-fulfillment one, if you are going to read it, this would be for the best, i do not know if the tv series will be able to show all of what the protagonist went throught during his journey, specially since certain parts of the story are supposedly inappropriate according to current pc culture on the west, but without those tough hard situations the story would lose a lot of its impact.

In any case enjoy the story, It is a good one.

18. Dravileo

Dravileo Imofever never end

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope i can forget it. When i am watching tate no yuusha, i remember when i read it.

19. venu101

venu101 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't seen it but according to feminazies it's terrible but give it a lick and see how you like it.

20. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    The production seems decent, at least better than most animes. The actual story is subpar at best.

Putting all the moral controversy aside, the biggest controversy in my opinion isn't that. It is the fact that a princess goes out of her way to accuse the MC of attempted rape. Now that may not sound much different than what everyone is saying, but I put emphases on PRINCESS. While MC would definitely take a hit on their reputation, the one who would realistically take the biggest hit would be the princess herself who now would have had her chastity questioned.

If the princess really wanted to hurt the MC's reputation in that way, that is what maids and servants are for.

And lets not go into presentation issues where she runs to the other hero and tells him not to go seek the MC after the accusation. It feels so forced and ridiculous it isn't even funny. And that but one of the many issues.

There is of course the usual issues such as:
    a) why they wasted money at an inn when they were in same town as the castle.
    b) why the castle didn't provide equipment and just let them out to buy it.
    c) why the castle didn't provide monster parts to upgrade their stuff in bulk

userunfriendly and elRouge like this.