Discussion Rivals in Love

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by luoxinle, Sep 3, 2022.

1. luoxinle

luoxinle Book Club Founder

Reading List:
    Link
    Rivals in Love has sat on my list for a while, but despite the short length (only 15 chapters!), I'm only now getting around to reading it. I'm looking forward to a short and sweet BL story. Hopefully our MC develops feelings quickly enough to get some longing and fluff in before the end.

Special welcome to book group members!

2. Issis

Issis 'Feeling is a Gift and a Curse'

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Deleted member 456425

Deleted member 456425 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    *was supposed to read a few days ago but I kept getting distracted*
    :blobrofl:

4. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    Omg, I haven't even finished the chapter and I'm laughing so hard all ready :ROFLMAO: I'm looking forward to this misunderstanding becoming a reality.

Also, I appreciate that it's pretty obvious MC is gay before even meeting ML.

So apparently it's not a "bending" story, but a "neither of us realized we were gay until now" story.

The interactions between MC and ML are so cute already. :blobmelt:

I'm laughing so hard at that swipe at jjwxc :blobjoy: They really do delete all the spicy bits. How will our lead do now that he has read the real text?

Why indeed? :blobsmirk: Ah, yes, it must be that his cleanliness is very serious:blobjoy::blobpats:

These two preparing for their date... I have no words.:facepalm::blobsweat:

Lucy scarlet and elideli like this.
  5. xiao Yi

xiao Yi I told you to forget me but you stayed by my side.

Reading List:
    Link
    *currently reading*

Wtf with his ex's boyfriend full of paternal love for him and the ex girlfriend, a motherly woman.... HAHAHAHA MC ah... I think you lack love and protection ah *pat pats* there there, ML will fulfill it for sure HAHAHAHA ..

PS. I think this will be a fluffy one.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh and I was screaming so loud my mom thought I was hurt HAHAHA the ML Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh my goodness! My heartu can't take this ... Sorry HAHAHA too excited.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    Lucy scarlet, elideli and luoxinle like this.
  6. elideli

elideli keepin' an eye out

Reading List:
    Link
    That was such a cute read! I really liked how the ML handled all the emotional whiplash the MC gave him lol, from 'i think he just confessed to me' to 'wait i actually kinda like him' to 'wait he was chasing a GIRL this WHOLE TIME?' and finally 'well this guy is really straightforward when he wants to be' absolutely adorable.

I would have liked to know more about the reason why the MC was so sheltered growing up in the entertainment industry? Don't get me wrong, I love that everyone totally supported and pampered him and his naiveté was really endearing, but imma be honest sometimes I forgot he was supposed to be a 25yo man and not like, a childish highschooler. Is it maybe because his parents weren't in the picture? Is that why even his exes were super maternal with him xd

Overall it was super cute super sweet. Good choice, book club. (^^)b

Lucy scarlet likes this.
  7. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    I also appreciated watching ML's journey. MC had his own journey, from believing he should date and marry a woman, and searching for love from women, to unwittingly falling for the ML, to finally experiencing that feeling he's been missing and realizing the reason it didn't feel this way before is because he's been looking for love in the wrong place. I also love him immediately calling his boss to ask permission, and then just showing up at the ML's door.

I think the author is right that the MC would be kind of annoying in a longer novel. Even in the extras I was starting to roll my eyes at his naivety. But overall, it was a very cute story.

Lucy scarlet likes this.
  8. Deleted member 456425

Deleted member 456425 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Just finished.
    MC is really naive. There are parts when he's cute naive like on their date or when he's eating or when the fans are taking care of him. Really wholesome. But it bothers me a bit, since I'm not sure if someone could be that naive.

When ML was getting condoms, me: Yo what?! So fast!?
    Then he didn't do it anyway. Whew, not scummy.

I'm glad though, that mc realizes quickly that he wasn't really interested in Gao Tang and instead wanted to be with ml instead. No dragging others more into their drama.

Lucy scarlet likes this.
  9. elideli

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm also glad the ML didn't turn out to be scummy! It would have felt super weird too considering just how innocently naive the MC was throughout, especially before he realised his own feelings.....

That last part was something I really appreciated too. No unnecessary drama, just an immediate realisation and a quick change in trajectory.

Lucy scarlet and luoxinle like this.
  10. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like the innocence could have been pleasantly mitigated by the MC initiating intimacy in one of the extras. Some sign that he's an adult with adult desires, even if he's kind of an airhead. Of course this is partially my bias, since I always appreciate shous (and women) who actually enjoy and desire sex.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  11. elideli

Reading List:
    Link
    agree 100%
    it would have been a great way to show a little growth on the MC's part and also a way to give the reader a taste of how their actual relationship unfolds outside of 'MC is dumbly innocent and ML (and the rest of the world) indulges him bc he is so cute'.
    Yes!! I'm so tired of seeing the receiving party in sex basically only tolerate it because their partner likes it. That's a whole other discussion in and of itself but suffice to say i'm glad i'm not the only one haha

12. writtenforcup

writtenforcup i wanna fffff

Reading List:
    Link
    while i do think the mc was very innocent(?) throughout the novel, i do like how he and the ml handled their feelings while also not creating and pulling others into their drama. it was a very cute story though- now i feel like reading more showbiz BLs (prob gonna reread very happy lol)

Lucy scarlet and luoxinle like this.
  13. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend Lady of Fortune, Jiao Niang for an innocent character who is proactive and adult. I'm reading it now and it's very cute.