Recommendations RPG novels with multiclassing or subclasses

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Astaroth, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    By the way, it doesn't have to be an actual game novel, or even game elements if you really want to push the boundary. Even something like in Coiling Dragon where Linley was both a mage and warrior (before leaving the yulan continent), though it would be more interesting if it's not as common. For instance Han Shou from Great Demon King is both a Necromancer and Demonic cultivator.

You know like how in d&d and other (usually older) rpg games your character can have multiple classes / professions and such with levels that make up the actual character.

It would be kind of cool if the "multiclassing" still has requirements, like for instance Paladins has to be of lawful good alignment while Bards and Barbarians can't be any of the lawful alignment so you can't become both a Paladin & Bard or Barbarian multiclass character.

The Amber Sword has something similar, the MC starts as a level 1 "Villager", gets himself a couple of levels of "Militia" to survive, and then "Mercenary".

The King's Avatar is a tiny bit like this where Lord Grim (the MC) doesn't pick any of the classes so he can use all of the low level skills from every class.

Only Sense Online and Toaru No Ossan VRMMO (or whatever the hell it's called) kind of don't have any classes at all as far as I am aware, so they kind of make up their own depending on the skills (or "senses") they take. This is also acceptable, assuming that the MC actually come up with something original, I personally kind of liked how these two novels incorporated crafting so well into supporting their main "class".

p.s. so while I'm looking for novels with "multiclassing", it doesn't have to literally be dungeons and dragons, it's fine as long as it's not the usual mainstream cookie cutter straightforward same old whatever...

p.p.s to get an idea of the bare minimum, think of Legendary Moonlight Sculptor. A Sculptor Prestige or "hidden" main class and then a bunch of skills related to other classes and professions.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  2. Alundric

Alundric Member of Gentleman Alliance

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm try growth cheat.

Kuma Desu likes this.
  3. chillo

chillo NUF BioTerrorist

Reading List:
    Link
    I think almost any gaming RPG tag novel has this classes

4. pandicorn

pandicorn ® Ruler of Gay Pandas ®

Reading List:
    Link
    Does it have to be mmorpg? I think Galactic Dark Net does a beautiful job on multiclasses.

5. Kuma Desu

Kuma Desu Holy Architect | Defender of Children | Clozdark's

Reading List:
    Link
    Some novels about game worlds have this, but I can't remmember the name of all of them...
    Ugh... We need a tag for this, I think

Astaroth likes this.
  6. hifumi

hifumi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    asriu likes this.
  7. unkxz

unkxz Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    The MC gets something else after that power which cancel magic?

Maybe the more loose definition? I've seen novels like LMS where there basically is no class at all, but I can't think of any like The Amber Sword.

Maybe I've just missed where to look? Feel free to point one out :)

9. zenla

zenla { Totally human being} {Kingdom building fanatic}

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone loves big chests- RRL
    Mc get classes from victims.
    There was this novel on RRL about hoarder of class being class teacher no idea what was the name.

10. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    OSO and Toaru No Ossan don't have classes at all. Everyone can choose from a list of skills, and once they level them up, they can get 'improved' versions of them and unlock similar skills. Of course, it helps if they pick skills that work together, like sword, armor, healing magic and so on, compared to if someone picks sword, bow, 3 different crafting senses and so on.

The game i'm most familiar with that can be considered similar would be Elder Scrolls Online, where similarly there are no classes.

Astaroth likes this.
  11. pandicorn

pandicorn ® Ruler of Gay Pandas ®

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah. He does pharmacy, fusion beasts and normal fighting. The various multiclassing is highlighted more in the later chapters.

Astaroth likes this.
  12. Zalpha

Zalpha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't read this post... I don't have time but I thought I would mention this.
    The Arcane Emperor
    It follows D&D classes and races and also multiple classes / professions. You start off at one class at level 1 and it maxes at level 25 at which point you can unlock your 2nd Class. It is a well written and intresting story.

Iramohs and Astaroth like this.
  13. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the only Elder Scrolls Game without any class is Skyrim though? And Elder Scrolls Online is actually the most restrictive one since other classes can't learn each other's skills iirc.

And like I said this isn't exactly what I'm looking for to begin with, I preferably want multiclassing, but no classes at all works as well if they actually put together their own original homebrew mix.

14. Echoes

Echoes 【Wandering Monk】

Reading List:
    Link
    Polymath Redux (RRL)

Iramohs likes this.
  15. palaraya

palaraya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Legendary Moonlight Sculptor

Main class: Moonlight Sculptor
    Secondary: Blacksmith, Tailoring, Cooking, Swordsman, Archer, Merchant, etc...

Astaroth likes this.
  16. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Right, that's what I meant is also okay. If there's another novel that I haven't read already which is like this then feel free to suggest it.

17. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hail the King - HAVE ALL CLASSES OF DIABLO GAME AND MC CAN SWITCH BETWEEN CLASSES E.G NECROMANCER , BERSERKER ETC

Zalpha, Iramohs and Astaroth like this.
  18. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone Else is Returnee - No multiple main classes but you can retain skills of previous class on class up and get secondary classes
    Seoul Station Necromancer - so far only MC and an assassin has 2 classes, and MC's underling is a magician that fights like a tank
    One Man Army - recently started translation, but premise suggests majority having multiple classes (MC has 4)

Astaroth likes this.
  19. not_here

not_here Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to say Seoul Station's Necromancer , but it was because he did a "rebirth" and started from Lvl 1 again so he can choose another class. That option is only available for the MC, while it is unknown if other Roused can do that too.

Astaroth likes this.
  20. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    hehe yeah it doesn't really apply to what I'm looking for right now, but since I've already read up to the latest TL chapter I can say for sure that I would recommend this to anyone regardless :p

And there really isn't any reason to hold back, since if it turns out it's not what I'm looking for I just don't have to continue reading.

It would be unfortunate if someone feels like they shouldn't recommend a certain novel and I miss out on it instead.