Recommendations RRL City/Dungeon Management Novels

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Cosmic_, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    RRL novels ONLY please

So I've been getting into royal road legends and I fell in love with many of the novels there. One of my favorites is Dungeon Heart which in my opinion is the best (so far) dungeon management type novel I have read and I hope to see more updates of. Even with the wide variety of dungeon master/dungeon core type novels, I found this one to do the genre justice by having the right focus and pacing. I also loved the necklace world of Tree from The Dao of Magic as well as the city in Creation: The Path of a God. Sadly, those ideas weren't the focus of the story and were only a small bit of it. I want a RRL novel about a town, city, or even dungeon management. Not a super large giant world or kingdom at the start. A build from small to big slow growth type town/city/dungeon. MC can have cheats but make him likable and smart.

It has to have likable characters (MC especially) that actually manage and work hard to SLOWLY GROW and develop the place with their talent, skill, and (superior/modern) knowledge. I enjoy reactions, character interaction, and world building. Please not recommend a dropped/inactive novel.

Extra stuff about what I'm looking for (can skip):

I'd also be fine with a (note the next word is important) small world like in The Dao of Magic. I don't want an actual god MC that manages a universe. No World Keeper, The Breath of Creation, Ultimate Power types. That tends to lack what I want (growth. detail and work). I want a novel that focuses on the management, laws, tech, culture, people, business, relationships, and reactions of the characters. I like a slow, but enjoyable pace of growth and hard work instead of a snap of the fingers and boom there's a city. It should also not be too politics focused and lack dark or disturbing elements (rape, family/friend/child death, despair, NTR). I don't want the novel to say "MC created a water pump and things improved. Done." It needs to have more detail and show the impact and reactions. I also hate novels where it's only the thoughts and mostly talking of the MC. So please if possible Multiple POVs.

Other dungeon/city managements novels are too much like a cheat isekai harem slice of life. A lot of them lack focus. A novel doesn't need to just management, but most have lost focus or added too much other elements. For example, they might have them be too much in politics, being an adventurer, getting a harem, dungeon v dungeon, etc. (Lazy Dungeon Master, Maou-sama no Machizukuri!, Genjitsushugisha, I Was Reincarnated as a Magic Academy) Even Dungeon Defense, is more just a dark fantasy politics/scheming army building type novel instead of a proper dungeon. I want a novel actually about a guy working hard (he can have cheat tho) to make a city that becomes the top and manages it to put a smile on peoples faces or a dungeon master slowly growing from the start to being the top best where people gather to create a city around it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  2. Alpacasaurus

Alpacasaurus Member of the Kuudere Cult

Reading List:
    Link
    Not rrl but I recommend Evil God Average (disregard the title, mc is not evil or a god).

3. Cosmic_

Reading List:
    Link
    Read it and really enjoyed it. I just wished there would have been more instead of rushing to the whole god ending.

Oh and I'd like to join your cult.

4. Alpacasaurus

Reading List:
    Link
    Also I'm pretty sure there's a city management tag or something on NU. There aren't really many management novels on rrl that focus on that long term, and then you have ignore a decent amount of the few that do exist on their on the grounds that they're not that good and/or have been dropped.

5. Alpacasaurus

Reading List:
    Link
    One of us~ one of us~

Cosmic_ likes this.
  6. Cosmic_

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I'll keep looking. Any novels you'd recommend? Doesn't have to be management just still active.

RRL novels I've read: Legacy: God's Inheritance, Number One Under Heaven, Ultimate Power, Forgotten Conqueror, Beyond?, Creation: The Path of a God, The Dao of Magic, Dungeon Heart, I Was Reincarnated as a Magic Academy, The Falling Star of Evolution

7. Alpacasaurus

Reading List:
    Link
    Everybody loves large chests - funny as hell and great writing
    The arcane emperor - good story and the author is back to a regular schedule
    Lament of the fallen - good writing and world building and looks like it'll be a very long story assuming it doesn't get dropped or the author goes time skip crazy.

They're the three I can think of that are both high quality and have active authors. Everything else I read is more subjective. If I remember any others I'll edit them in.

Cosmic_ likes this.