Sabotage by Webnovel?

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by FoolishCarp, Oct 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. FoolishCarp

FoolishCarp Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is all a mere speculation and comes from my own experience with them in the novelupdates.com website. So I've noticed webnovel novels purposely adding books with minimal information, as in with minimal genres,tags,aliases and etc, this is damaging the quality of database the novelupdates should have, and I believe novelupdates should enforce at minimum 2-3 genres and 2-3 tags as well as have minimum one alias for the novels.

Leeann and applebeans like this.
  2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    More likely that it's added by users instead of the translation teams and they are less invested in popularizing it than a site hosting it would.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  3. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's just someone being lazy when they see new webnovel novels pop up. Probably XD
    I do agree that there should be at least 3 genres and probably at least 10 tags usually. There should also always be at least one alias - the name of the novel in its original language. Care to name a few examples of these?

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  4. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Webnovel stopped caring about NU for a long time now.

This is either user added or mod added.

5. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly I found a novel ‘remember the name’ they linked to the wrong one on nu and their site I think a year ago?
    And read it and was like wth the tags and summary didn’t match as I left that as a review. Apparently it was taken down and they replaced it but pretty sure it was a big mess for them to retag on their site & nu and put up the right book.

So now I don’t think qi post novels on nu much anymore after that, due to the hassle especially since they’re asking google to delist nu when searching their novels..

Recent one I saw was ‘fruit tycoon’ got added to nu, and So i added most of those tags though since there was none

AliceShiki likes this.
  6. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Webnovel often doesn't list the raw name of their novels actually, so it can be pretty hard to put the raw name in the associated names.

aShinyVaporeon likes this.
  7. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the titles are added by mods and helpers, which is an incredible amount of work. Webnovel doesn't really care about details such the original title, authors and such. Which means staff have to dig around various CN sites for the details.
    Webnovels releases a ton of novels each week under trials too.Plus tags and genres have always been added by users of the site for the vast majority of time.
    Furthermore staff and volunteers have to backtrack and see if the novel doesn't already exist in the Nu index with a different name which occasionally happens. Lots of webnovels apparently go with completely new names so it can be tough.

If you see any duplicates help by reporting
    https://www.novelupdates.com/report-problem/

Edit: I'm pretty sleepy at the moment so excuse me for the flow

8. riririn

riririn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really had to look at the series adding page before I realized that putting the raw title as an associated name is actually not required... o_O

9. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Tsk tsk tsk, how childish...

Rumby likes this.
  10. overtanned

overtanned Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seriously? Oh my God. Webnovels do that to have a better SEO rank in Google rather than NU? I'm at loss for words

And I was wondering too why some of the chapters uploaded in NU (Under The Oak Tree) are totally the same with WebNovels. But when the uploader taken down all of the 106 chapters in NU, webnovels still have them all 106 chapters completely intact.