Seeking advice about mixing Sci-fi with Wuxia

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by duurka, Jun 19, 2021.

1. duurka

duurka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello everyone.
    In past few months I tried to write fiction about mc uses elements of sci-fi mixed with western fantasy golem in Wuxia world. But power systems feels bit off every time it ended up making one side too strong or too weak.
    I can't find middle ground.

I written quite many ideas but all of them ended up scrapped and thrown into trash.

If someone is interested in giving me an advice, I'd really appreciate it.

2. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Star Wars is sci-fi Wuxia.

3. duurka

duurka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    WTF! How ?
    Well, in someway yes.
    But it is wuxia in sci-fi not other way around

4. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    To a certain extent, Skyfire Avenue probably fits the bill. Just give it a try!

5. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One possibility is a person from a sci fi universe managed to be transported into a wuxia universe bringing along with their tech.

6. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    say let me ask you.... what you think wuxia is?

7. duurka

duurka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, isn't it near border line overpowered chinese fantasy that diffrent from more classic xiaxuan ?

8. lohwengk

lohwengk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You may want to clarify the terms you use.

Sci-fi: hard sci-fi (e.g. the stories by Arthur C. Clarke and Isaac Asimov) vs. space opera (e.g. Star Wars) vs. something in between (e.g. newer versions of Star Trek).

Wuxia: real Wuxia (based on martial arts) vs. Xianxia (e.g. ISSTH) vs. Xuanhuan (Chinese-style fantasy, iirc, someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Why is there suddenly a "western fantasy golem?" That's different from any kind of sci-fi or Xianxia.

asriu likes this.
  9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    heck no!
    it composition martial art, adventure, intrigue, drama with no immortal stuff~ the martial art intrigue and drama is da key~ so yeah star wars stretch wuxia on sci fic~ star wars is hero adventure with sci fic setting lol so you can use it as inspiration~

10. duurka

duurka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, also sorry I also got wrong it is Xuanxuan not wuxia

11. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    Xuanxuan isn't a thing, there's Xianxia and Xuanhuan, and I suspect you mean Xuanhuan since it doesn't have strict meanings and backgrounds in the power setups and background settings like Xianxia. Complexities like that is why I just lump them all together as "Cultivation" novels and completely REFUSE to be more specific, even when others complain about my lack of specificity.

Anyway, from reading this thread you want some balance help with one of two different types of world. The first is a world where it's Primarily Cultivation, but one that's advanced to Sci-Fi Levels, and has access to Western Fantasy Style Golems. The second is a world where a Space-Faring Western Fantasy World that relies on Golems meets Space-Faring Individual's from a Cultivation World. This difference is important, as one is a single world that has reached the Space Age, while the second is two fundamentally different civilisations meeting because they can each move through space.

If you're doing the first one, then "balancing" everything seems fairly simple, since everyone's working on the same basic system. Cultivation is a method of self-development and improvement, Sci-Fi is developed as a way to help the general public, and Golems are a way for a weak individual to apply strength through an external medium. Basically have Golems be a way for people to apply themselves and learn the basics of self-defence safely, while also making them a medium for technological development and mass production. Technology has advanced due to people trying to support their family members, only for their advancements to be leaked from upset family members betraying the clan, successful spies who ended up revealing the information to the public for various reasons, and more.

A powerful Cultivator would always defeat a Golem in this world, and Spaceships are built for three purposes, Trade, Immortal Travel, & Mortal Travel, each of which are produced very differently. Trade Space Ships are produced for the express purpose of facilitating interplanetary trade, are typically piloted by weak Immortals, and go fast enough that they would kill Mortals, but slow enough that it would kill all but the strongest of Mortals. Immortal Space Ships are often made for an individual immortal, and often are almost purely engines that the Immortal can strap to themselves to push them through space faster than they could individually move, for longer, to the point of having absolutely no life support built into them. Mortal Space Ships are the slowest space ships, keeping to accelerations slow enough that it wouldn't kill properly seated and buckled children. Mortal Space Ships are primarily used to ferry colonies of people to new habitable planets, though there is also some carry over for immigration between relatively close-by planets, particularly near the founding of the colonisation process.

Basically, here, students use Golems to learn and set themselves up to do well in the future without the worry of self-harm, corporations use Golems to build technology, such as Cultivation Powered Space Ships, and Cultivator's develop themselves in order to both become immortal, and to become able to stand up for themselves in a fight.

A good example of something with some similarities to this is Forty Millenniums of Cultivation.

It's when you're trying to balance two completely separate systems against each other that this starts to become more difficult. If you have a Cultivation World meeting a Sci-Fantasy World, then you need to start creating boundaries where they each match each other, had an advantage over the other, and limit each other. Cultivation World, in my concept of this example, can only have Immortals travelling the stars, and each does so individually. With enough time to build up speed, the Immortal Cultivator's can get up to speed sufficient to nearly reach the speed of light, though this typically takes months without external assistance, while most don't know that external assistance on that matter is possible.

The Cultivator's greatest strength is their individual power, and it is entirely built around their body and physical potential being directly amplified and supported by their mystical power. Their greatest weakness is their unity, as the Cultivator's have absolutely none, and are only together more out of an occasional desire for companionship and communication than anything else. Hell, some of them can be rivals, or hold grudges that they'll happily stab each other in the back over.

The Mage's rely on externally utilised magical energy, primarily manifested in the production, utilisation, and weaponisation of golems. They typically work in groups, as do their Golems, and have managed to develop magical technology sufficiently to reach the stars and get around the physical limitations of space (make wormholes through spellcraft). Their greatest strengths is their unity, and their ability to fight at range without risk to themselves due to remote use of Golems. Their greatest weakness is that the Mage's don't have much in the ability to directly fight without something like Golems or a Mech Suit, thus causing their reliance on external materials and carefully maintained life support systems (underlined words missed in original post).

This would cause the fights between the two groups to be akin to that of ants trying to fight off a large predator. Both sides can kill each other if they successfully stab them somewhere important (like the heart or brain), but the Mages have difficulty in actually stabbing the Cultivators, while the Cultivators have difficulty in finding the Mages to even attempt to stab them. And that's only if fights actually start up. Mage's see value in learning how the Cultivator's became Immortal, and adapting it for themselves, while the Cultivator's can see value in the technology and environments that the Mage's produced. The question you need to answer as an author would be if whether that value leads the characters you present to trying to attack the other group, or if it results in the two groups trying to work together while thinking that they're getting a better advantage out of the deal due to stealing and sharing what they can more widely.

I don't have a good example of this.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    asriu likes this.
  12. duurka

duurka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks this is thing I needed.
    I think i got idea really thanks you and other