Implemented Series-Finder, multiple tags AND instead of AND/OR

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by Sosseres, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Sosseres

Sosseres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Currently series finder tags search uses an AND/OR search instead of an AND search. It is easier to find a series if it has to contain multiple tags. A different way to solve it is to have check boxes near the tag search to allow to choose expected behaviour.

Background, I read a request for series by a user wanting reincarnation and game elements. So I went to series finder, entered both and searched. Results mostly contained one of the tags instead of both.
    See http://www.novelupdates.com/series-finder/?sf=1&rl=100&tgi=93,120&sort=sfrel&order=desc for what I did.

2. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Supporting this one. And + or function would be really helpful

Hate likes this.
  3. Auryjhine

Auryjhine [Race : Great Lion] [Statuts effect : Half-awake]

Reading List:
    Link
    I am also supporting this suggestion. It should be really useful !

4. Aldnonymous

Aldnonymous Male Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just like Sadpanda, been also thinking about this. I like it.

5. Daily

Daily 日々いちゃつく

Reading List:
    Link
    +1.

And to add to that, there should also be an hide function for tags you don't want to include in the search.

Hate likes this.
  6. Blankdom

Blankdom Unknown

Reading List:
    Link
    +1 from me too, though I think there was already a thread of this, cuz I remember reading something similar.

Also, it'd be great if you can also exclude tags, maybe something like what batoto did.

7. Sosseres

Sosseres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Could you two expand on the exclusion you want? The current one in series finder works very well any time I have tested it. If it is outside of series finder like the genre exclusion on release page create a separate thread for it. :)

Shio likes this.
  8. OverlyFriendly

OverlyFriendly I should do something about

Reading List:
    Link
    that would be great
    having a system that gives you the choice for example; romance and adventure
    it will appear with romance adventure novels but also novels with just romance and just adventure without them together.
    and something to exlude certain novels with a tag from appearing. like tradegy.
    it would show adventure/romance, adventure novels and romance novels excluding all the ones with the tradegy tag

9. Daily

Daily 日々いちゃつく

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm well aware that a genre exclusion already exist. What I'm talking about is a tag exclusion function. There's certain tags that I personally wouldn't wanna see, like DQN protagonists. Genre searching is just more general so tag searching is just more useful for specific searches. I double checked the Series Finder just to make sure. Even if it's kinda related, I guess I should've made a new thread for it. But oh well.

10. Auryjhine

Auryjhine [Race : Great Lion] [Statuts effect : Half-awake]

Reading List:
    Link
    I posted this picture in a previous post. Rather than a check box, I propose to add and change some existing search bar.
    The first line would be for the OR search (Include on the left side and Exclude on the right side) and the second line would be to the AND search (same as before, Include on the left side and Exclude on the right side).
    An error message would display if a search is made when 2 search bars of the same kind (both Include search bars or both Exclude search bars) are filled together.
    [​IMG]

How about it ?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    Daily and Sosseres like this.
  11. Blankdom

Blankdom Unknown

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, it's pretty much genre exclusion; there would be a 3rd, red cross, option, when you click the box, instead of the current two; this option would exclude the tag (Ex. You're looking for novels in the adventure genre but want to exclude gender-bender, you'll click Gender-Bender twice, for the red cross to exclude it, and click Adventure once, for the check to include it.)

12. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's already tag exclusion function in series finder. Check the right side (or below for mobile) of include tag option.

http://www.novelupdates.com/series-finder/?sf=1&tgi=1299&tge=6003&sort=abc&order=asc

^ Is an example. It shows novel with abandoned child tag, but exclude abduction tag

13. Daily

Daily 日々いちゃつく

Reading List:
    Link
    rleon likes this.
  14. lazynoodles

lazynoodles Softie for Villainess & BL

Reading List:
    Link
  15. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    first, you put a min of 100 releases. that severely limited your results. you should only do that later (if the results are too many)

second, you put Villainess Noble Girls AND Adapted From Manga, when you're actually looking for Adapted To Manga
    try this
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series-finder/?sf=1&tgi=270,11404&mtgi=and&sort=sfrel&order=desc

third, please refrain from posting on a 'dead' thread. a dead thread is one that's hasn't seen any post for more than 3 months.

Forum Rules
    FAQ

LaDyViL, AliceShiki and Blitz like this.