Single sex schools are useless?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Azusky, Mar 12, 2016.

?

Good or bad idea?

1. Worst invention ever

2. Bad idea

3. Not sure

4. Good idea

5. Best invention ever

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    After research i'm more and more in favor of the mixed gender school with the segregated gender classes, all with the same performance goals, but classes methods are tailored to the gender and age of the participants. (For example I believe they found that a standard lecture format reduced women's scores while helping men)

2. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Excuse me, I went to all girls school and I turned out great. Got great education, cool infrastructure, awesome teachers, plenty of eyecandies in the changing room and best of all, no guys around! Well except for those two male teachers. Even the janitors are women. Poor teachers, you have no idea how often they get girls teasing them with love confessions.

Well anyway, all-girls schools are awesome in that it promotes independence and self-respect. They actually teach girls to stand on their own there instead of relying on men. To think of themselves as individuals, not a weak creature to rely on strong men, but to be confident in who there are and what they can achieve. You can tell the difference between a coed and all-girls educated women. The coed girls are generally more clingy, whiny and needy. Girls who come from all-girls schools are generally more confident, independent, don't hog your time 24/7 and demand more respect. Of course, this is generalization, but it's still true.

Despite the few all-girls schools left, many influential leaders of society came from all girls schools. Even the former first lady of Malaysia graduated from all-girls school. It shouldn't be discouraged, it should be respected, if not encouraged. On a related note, I'm still pissed that they demolished my school to build a shopping mall. How would I show my kids where mommy used to study?

As for those who say girls who went to all-girls school have no experience in dealing with the opposite gender, I assure you, that's simply laziness on their part. You only go to school for like 8 hours a day, what exactly would you be doing outside of that time that you have no contact with boys? Stay at home? Cook? Sleep? Nobody's telling them not to interact with boys. Whatever they do outside the school is their own business.

Don't need to look far. Just look at me. Here. Me. Focus on me. I have lots of boys who were friends. I even had several boyfriends before meeting my beautiful loving girl. It's not that hard for an all-girls school student to find boyfriends. From my experience, all-girls school students are even more appealing to boys from coed schools. Boys especially enjoyed our Canteen Days, because that's the ONLY school day when girls were officially allowed to wear makeups at school, and that was the only day when boys were allowed to enter our school. The boys would then be served by beautiful girls in cute clothes for the whole day.

Of course, there's the problem with lesbianism or the tamer version, kissingfriends. But is that really a problem? Girls want to experiment. During their most emotionally hormonally imbalanced years, they want to experiment, see what is so good about this orgasm thing and why can't I live without it. Yes, girls also fap, but we don't call it fap, we call it frig. Anyway, kissingfriends allows girls to experiment with each other with no risk at all to themselves. The school even gave us sex education classes to educate ourselves about the dangers of STDs and early pregnancy. You don't get that at coed schools, at least not in Malaysia.

Again, just look at me. I even give guys relationship advice when they're having problem with their girlfriends. I don't give those crass, "Aww just bang her, man!" like some guys would give. Read my lips:

You. Need. Girls. Who. Have. Experience. With. Other. Girls.

BTW, this list tells exactly what us Malaysian all-girls schoolers went through. It's totally true.

EDIT: Damn you people who post one-liners. By the time I finished writing this post, it was already pushed to the third page. Nobody will read this totally awesome post now :unsure:

EDIT2: At this age, girls DO NOT need boys to teach them about love. Boys at this age are just hormonally driven sex prowlers anyway. What boys want is not a fulfilling and respectful relationship, but to have sex with the prettiest girls they can get. Then they'd brag about it to their friends, but when the girls are pregnant, they ran faster than a Superman on steroids and claim the girl are lying. That's why most girls this age prefer to have relationship with mature, older men, who are not sex-starved virgins, unfortunately, age of consent laws are in the way

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    Westeller and Simon like this.
  3. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that single sex schools could actually be a good thing. I feel like there is something there that is definitely worth exploring in terms of how people relate to both their own gender and the opposite one. I feel like one of the reasons that gender relations are so messed up is because a lot of men or women don't know how to define themselves. Being apart from the opposite gender during an unstable period in your youth at the very least could give both groups the freedom to come into themselves without concerning themselves with what the other gender thinks of them and acting differently because of it. It may seem stupid but I feel like casting aside the gender roles, while a good thing, does leave people floundering about what their role in life should be, especially in relation to the other gender. I think the correct answer is that "I should just be me." but even if you split the genders there is no guarantee you are going to get them to that result. It just seems much less likely if you also make kids contend with relating with the other gender. But I'm rambling and probably speaking non-sense so I'm gonna stop.

CDLevit and Ai chan like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the thing here is to ignore individual cases. (If that offends, then so be it; SCIENCE!)

2010 summary of studies showed that there is a small positive impact on education and a small negative impact on social skill by segregation. However the positive education only came if you also retailored the schools curriculum to match that genders learning style

It also found that mixed schools have a stinger tendency toward gender biased teaching actually reinforcing some stereo types. On the other hand a 2014 study found that once you account for curriculum there is almost no benefit from segregation psychologically emotionally or academically.

(Long story short, science says that the wealth of a students family is more important than if Sadie Hawkins is making eyes at a boy). And since most single schools are private which means that the students come from wealthier families it throws the numbers off in casual studies.

5. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Objection, fantastical bull-nonsense, and gender shaming; bring me an actual study that shows that boys are "hormonal sex prowlers". That's like saying that girls with make up all secretly want to be whores.

Both genders want attention from the other gender, it's as simple as that.

CDLevit and Arcturus like this.
  6. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Why would I waste my time searching for a study on that, which is as clear as day when every boy can ask himself, "what would I want the most?"
    1) Comics
    2) Toys/Games
    3) Sex with a hot chick

Come on, there's no point in denying it. Admit it, sex is almost always in boys minds between the age of 12-18. They also don't bother being courteous towards girls, because they just don't know how or even if such a thing exist in the first place. Girls also have the same urges, I won't deny that, but at least nothing is lost between girls, and nobody gets pregnant. Besides, where boys want a relationship based on shallow ideals like sex or beauty, girls are more into the emotional aspect of the relationship.

Seriously, I don't have the time to sift through internet research to get the study your requested. This should be clear to any boys, because that was what I went through with both boyfriends I had in school and another boyfriend in college. The only exception was the 50 year old Canadian ex-military guy.

Also you seem to misunderstand the reason girls wear makeups. There are only three reasons:
    1) They want to stand out
    2) They want to be appealing in the eyes of others
    3) They want to be beautiful, for various reasons, including for own satisfaction
    So in short, makeup is simply self-improvement, nowhere in that ritual does it concern getting laid.

EDIT: BTW, this was also one of the topics of interest in my college psychology class when I took my teaching degree. The hormonally driven psyches of both boys and girls in school is one of the stuff we need to know how to handle if we want to be good educators.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    Westeller and NinetH like this.
  7. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    My school had an only girls policy on high school until we came along. It's not a prison school (Manga) kind of thing, though.

This. I did not think of having sex with my crush during my teenage years and whenever I talked to her or took a glance at her, I felt happy.

8. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a b.a. in psychology, and let me save you the most basic effort of searching in the laziest of ways

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolescent_sexuality_in_the_United_States

In a 2003 study, 89% of girls reported feeling pressured by boys to have sex, while 49% of boys reported feeling pressured by girls to have sex. In contrast, 67% of boys felt pressured by other boys, while 53% of girls felt pressured by other girls

For girls, even modest involvement in sexual experimentation elevates depression risk.[64] Sexually active teenage girls are more than twice as likely to suffer depression compared to those who are not sexually active.[65]

The percentage of high school students in the US who reported that they have ever had sexual intercourse dropped from 54.1% in 1991 to 47.8% in 2007[1] and to 43% in 2011.[27]

The average age of first sexual intercourse in the United States is 16.8-17.0 for males and 17.2-17.3 for females,[17][18] and this has been rising in recent years.[19] For those teens who have had sex, 70% of girls and 56% of boys said that their first sexual experience was with a steady partner, while 16% of girls and 28% of boys report losing their virginity to someone they had just met or who was just a friend.[19]

Please try not to shame both genders in one go by pretending that all men are monsters and women are harmless playmates. Female depression rates are enormously higher in sexually active women under 18, with male OR female partners than not. It's not harmless. Emotional damage due to immature life choices is a sword that cuts everyoe male/female/straight/gay/and all points in between

9. CDLevit

CDLevit Aspiring water; spark of cynicism; Em&es explorer.

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I do not know how's the stuff in other countries.. But, here, in Romania, ftom what I know, we have mixed schools. I've never trully cared about sex differences because I tend to treat both genders the same, I offer them the same start and let both genders manifest how they wish when they come into contact with me.

From what I know, when they are little, children tend to 'search' for the company of the same sex. Later, when they frow old.. That 'yuck! Girl!? Why should I be friend with a girl!?' tends to dissapear.

Yep, it's true that, in some cases, peer presure can bring problems. I still recall a certain case in junior school where.. They've gone too far. In high school girls were a common subject between boys, even in university. But, in university, most girls had boyfriends and boys asked x or y - their friends, about the status of their relationship if they liked someone. Also, there's facebook and other social platforms where they've found, really fast, who's with who and with whom thry want to be.

Heck, I even remember how there were talks between roomates about their 'ex-girlfriends'. Well, anyway, stuff like that it's common talk between 'friends'.

Yep, most boys that I've knew.. Liked to find out who was the previous ex of their soon to be girlfriend and that's because of that term 'compatibility' and because they wanted 'fresh' stuff. Hm. The same stuff happened in the case of girls, they've skipped playboys.

Even girls like and go after good looking boys.

Anyway, pick up lines.. Are for testing waters. So, we can't say that sincerity is a 'curse' and it shoudn't be preffered to lies and 'thank god, I'm pretty!'.

Ai chan, your posts reminded me of this melody:
    I see nothing wrong with courtship. What I really dislike is lying.

In the end, human personality is influenced by three factors: heredity, environment and education.

I was surrounded, mainly, by females, from when I was little until now. In some cases a man was needed.. To show things, to explain things. But, that lack of presence isn't, in my case, so big because I could supplement it after that on various occasions.

So, I'm still unsure what's better: uni or mixed gender schools.

Ai chan likes this.
  10. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that is more of a matter of boys not really knowing what they want and accepting an idea society pushes on them. Do guys want sex, sure, but I don't think that is all they want. The problem is that like with women, when men buy into ideas society pushes onto them they become a shadow of what they could be.

@J.R. I think I would need know that impact was small on both ends of the wealth spectrum before I completely dismissed the idea that there would be some value in segregating the genders for at least a portion of their schooling. I think a lot of the issues that I imagine such a set up having any impact on are considerably more prevalent in poorer communities. My big concern would be that while a single gender school could help bring out the best in that gender it could also do the opposite.

But then I hold the view that a lot of the schooling done up to and including secondary is sort of a cop out when it comes to actually preparing children to enter society. Sure you give them the basic necessary knowledge and tools but that's it. With parents getting busier and busier it almost seems like an unfortunate reality that schools are starting to need to play a role in raising children even though ideally they shouldn't have to. Or at least if they don't start to, then we have to accept that more and more every new generation is going to be raised with whatever values the media is pushing on society or values at all.

Arcturus and CDLevit like this.
  11. tocos10

tocos10 Even more then the greatest Poster

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally would not support a single sex school. I do not see the value added. However I would support that for gym or P.E. classes. Regardless this should be left to the individuals in question. If there is enough demand for single sex schooling there should be schools that cater to this.

12. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Here you go.
    https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ggUMAE&usg=AFQjCNEk0ICvJTwT6-19sR74mYBQ28WgtQ

Basically poverty exacerbates any differences more than gender; I need to get home to go through the full paper, but if I recall it would be safe to say that correcting the poverty gap in children would many many many times more effective than the gender gap (also If I read right, wealth deminishes the gender gap, studies have also shown that stress at a young age can led to permenent brain damage and iq loss)
    http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTGENDER/Resources/wp5.pdf

CDLevit likes this.
  13. LivingCorpse

LivingCorpse Half-dead Neighborhood's Undead

Reading List:
    Link
    Single Sex school only works in Manga and Anime.
    In real life, they doesn't do a damn thing.

14. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    I just wonder if people biases are at play when they say single sex schools are useless. If we are going to talk about differences in academic results, that can easily change depending on many factors at play, and the major ones are the curriculum and how the teachers interact with the students. If we want to talk about social interaction, it is very naive to say that the separated students are sheltered from each gender, unless it a boarding school in some rural out of the way area, Most schools (at least in the west) finish around mid afternoon and there is plenty of time after for each gender to meet, be it at a park or some other hangout, and quite frankly most children understanding on how each gender interact is by viewing how their parents interact with each other.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  15. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    This is one of the most curiously divisive questions I've seen on NUF. The spread is rather evenly distributed. Interesting how this question doesn't have a dominant answer like most polls on NUF do. Probably affected by different schooling backgrounds and experiences/ groundless personal opinions.

Westeller likes this.
  16. uthgard

uthgard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not exactly sure If the idea of single-sex school is good or bad, not enough of those around me to tell. And surely It's not wise to base my opinion from anime/manga with it.

however personally in the future I probably won't send my kids to those school (at least for elementary & middle school) as I find co-ed school is perfectly fine, as the saying goes "why fix thing that ain't broken".

17. Senros

Senros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This may be a necro post, but I just found this and didn't see anyone having the same opinion/point of view as me so here I go:
    I was never in a single sex school, but some friends of mine were and they turned out fine in some aspects, while not so good on others. In my city it was almost a rule for the girls from the girls schools to be complete sluts. Most of the time if they went to party they would be the sheeps and the guys would be the wolves. As far personality goes they were nice, but they went from guy to guy and almost never really had stable relationships.

A friend of mine had a girlfriend from a all girls school and she said that in her school there were 3 big types of girls: the nerd, the slut and the lesbian. There were also mixes but it was generally like that according to her and she is bisexual.

As far as all boys schools go, I didn't meet anyone of those. Well, I did meet some but never befriended them so no idea. Still, I never heard any rumours of the majority of them being gay or anything. I know that one all boys school was really good at a lot of sports. Mostly basketball and light athletics.

So from my experience there are pros and cons for single sex schools, but if they were implemented correctly they could be really good for some people. If they are shelter, though, then a lot of problems may arise in those students.

18. NeNaShi

NeNaShi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not useless. It promotes girls the chance to open the gates of Lily, say 'Gokigenyo', and be a girl who never learned advanced human anatomy ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) .

dat aside it wud rlly dpnd on d schools. Sum wud have a gud results sum wud hve bad 1s. It rlly dpnds on srrundings n uder influences like wthr d person is strongwilled, follows wat der peers do, or r presured by sumtin else lik modern society's expectations. Ders lotsa pros n cons jst bcuz it mght seem useless dazn't men its useless 2 parent's who or kids who like d schols programs, want der kid 2 hve d best 4 der future, or have a tradition where they send their kids to crossdress and infiltrate a school opposite of their gender so that they can make a reverse/harem.

19. MataMelirik

MataMelirik *wink*wink*

Reading List:
    Link
    Thats evil idea that bring birth of yaoi,trap and yuri tags

20. _Selutu_

_Selutu_ 灭世魔尊

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm unsure about this, mainly because I know quite a few people from single-sex school either in HK or the UK. It's not like they have no interaction with the opposite sex like in fiction, so that isn't truly a large con. But I don't see the actual advantages either.