Some inspirations please.

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by 0000000, Jun 14, 2019.

?

Change or not

This poll will close on Jun 14, 2029 at 5:59 PM.
  1. Not (remain swordsman)

50.0%
  2. Change to mage or archer or something else

50.0%
  1. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    I find myself having bad habits to ham things up while writing, had to delete the entire paragraph to cut things short.

I am planning to write as I go, but for now, I have managed to try and create some backbones and skeleton of the storyline. Problem is that I am doing the story in Reincarnated Swordmaster style.

MC is a Subaru, Cowdung, someone who is slow. He got reincarnated into a world where people are having mixed but mostly negative image of otherworlders (using this term as there are a bunch of reincarnators/transmigrators/transported and perhaps regressors) and has discovered that he is still a slow learner in the world of swords and magic. In this world, he strived to be like Rudeus and made friends, though still remaining to be a low class swordsman (he can only do beginner magics), meeting up with other otherworlders who are like him is rare as most of them preferred to hide themselves due to the discrimination. He got himself killed thanks to his greed of believing he is the chosen one, died in the hands of someone who owns cheats such as the system. Though miraculously, he got revived as a Cheater class, and now owns finite lives that when he died, gets him send back to the start with the present skill levels remain like the qi in RS. Said finite lives can be increased via incredible feats or just me the author who decided to be generous about it. Problem is that this Cheater class is cursed by the gods of the world (most major gods at least) with reduced lifespan to heightened chance to attract misfortune bla bla bla. And like yours truly, during the very first time in the said world, MC is very ignorant about the world and did not bother to remember important things like who to suck up or golden fingers (drugs/items/skill by an old man) so he needs to waste the second trip to do it all again. From here I am puzzled as to whether the MC should continue as a hapless swordsman or change class? In most Groundhog novels I read, the author will try not to let the MC change profession unless his profession is trash in the first one/ he managed to remember a better profession. I was kinda hoping to write something like the MC being able to master most skills due to having loads of time despite lacking talents, yet the finite lives plus higher chance of death made it rather difficult... mind you, I will probably change class sooner or later, just that i don't know whether it is a right thing to change class on the second gameplay.

TLDR for those, whether do you change profession once you find yourself unable to exceed in that or stick around to see if it works out in the future.

2. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Make it into mage. Magic are multipurpose.

0000000 likes this.
  3. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes I understands that, from The Gamer to its RWBYx Fanfic The Games We Play and to Worth The Candle as such. The MC in my work also strives to be a mage as well, but finds himself severely lacking in the magics department. The Cheater class he gains is not insta-OP and can only grant him limited amount of tries.

4. strayCat0

strayCat0 What are you doing right now?

Reading List:
    Link
    Why don't make him learn every kind of weapon, and make him learn smth like martial art. It would be nice to see an adventurer that's infinitely strong with just their phisycal power, and don't make him learn magic to bring more taste. Let every magic user taste the power of german suplex. Though something like this is not that original. Anyway just my opinion:blobcheeky:

0000000 likes this.
  5. reagents 11

Reading List:
    Link
    Make it into gadgetry making instead.

0000000 likes this.
  6. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure if you will clues as i didn't read far ahead but try to read "Possessing nothing", no talent spear user MC go back in time until when he arrived in isekai.

0000000 likes this.
  7. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    How about making him immune to magic and continue as a swordsman?
    Like through an unexpected twist in the second try he chance upon an unexpected skill(treasure, book, etc...) or makes a contract with some being to become immune to magic attacks (You can add some details if you want, like his immunity becomes better the stronger his swords skills or health is) and MC at the same times continues to strive to make his sword skills better and later he gets an upgrade from swordsman to magic swordsman fo example:hmm:
    @0000000 I forgot to ask but, what is the final destination of your novel? like the goal of the MC (MC does have a goal right? or is does MC just want to get stronger to enjoy life or something?) anyway, you should build your next chapters or volumes based on what goal you want your MC to reach (or if there is a lesson or point you want to make through your novel then plan your next chapters in accordance), let me make a suggestion here, MC gains a skill that make him virtually immune to magic but actually the skill just absorbs magic and magic based attacks and store them or adds them to MC's mana or magic pool(or something, you make those details), finding out this truth about his new skill, MC ventures to challenge more monsters and magic creatures or even people, defeating others, building his reputation and also training him self and honing his skills as a swordman, (add a catch like the more attempts he tries to use magic, his new skill gets better and also MC's magic use or ability to use magic gets better) thus MC walks the path of sword and magic (and he aims to be a warlord or war god, if you want as a final goal for example :blobsweat_2:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2019
    0000000 likes this.
  8. grish99

grish99 [Pelican Hater] [Hater of Face-Slapping]

Reading List:
    Link
    make him learn a skills that "would be op if used by other class"
    lets say swordsman have skill like "adrenaline rush" that slow down time for the user
    later change the class to something like "need high precision and accuracy class" that normaly dont have adrenaline rush
    btw why swordsman....
    so many weapons to choose and its always that dam sword

0000000 likes this.
  9. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    A weapon master who is also skilled in grappling and fistcuff... nice.

10. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Possible. Though I have to say something, due to the high influx of otherworlders, most coming from worlds having similar or the same technological advancement, while things like guns or flushable toilets are uncommon as commoners' products, its concept are wellknown. Though I can understand what you mean, like Batman and his tools.

11. reagents 11

Reading List:
    Link
    You can also made him support or jack of all trade character in battle. Have one character take the swordsman role. Perhaps the heroine or the little sister ?

0000000 likes this.
  12. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    That is some of the inspiration that came in, but suddenly meeting someone that might change the life of MC in a snap by imparting him with skills is something I might do as well.

13. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Perhaps, though I am shying away from writing female characters too much though, due to still not being able to flesh them out as well as I do with the male counterpart. For the record, MC is the sole son and due to being known as an otherworlder by the neighborhood, he was shunned. The reason for him to become an adventurer? To get out of town and hopefully meet better people.

14. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Cuz it is the most convenient thing I can pick out, even though I am trained to use a sabre, spear and halberd.

Also because I hated my coach who called me a brute for using a sabre and mocked my size. Saying that a sword used by me looks like an orc swinging a short stick.

15. grish99

grish99 [Pelican Hater] [Hater of Face-Slapping]

Reading List:
    Link
    convenient you say....
    hmmm....
    sorry cant imagine hows that convenient
    wtf with the saber and brute things?

0000000 likes this.
  16. reagents 11

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you have the rough draft ? Want me to look into it for advice ?

0000000 likes this.
  17. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    I look like mini Oars
    https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Oars
    With a broad middle section and twig like limbs. Imagine me holding a sword like below one handed[​IMG]

18. Shizun

Shizun 《Jack of all trades》《Artist/Author》《Dao of BLedia》

Reading List:
    Link
    Just continue to write, never turn back, never...... but its difficult.... its a curse!

0000000 likes this.
  19. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Frankly, calling it a draft is no go, it is not even something on paper yet as I repeatedly write and delete in order to fill the word count godammit. So pardon me if I say no, no i do not have the draft.

reagents 11 likes this.
  20. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    The poll is close... 3 to 4...