Recommendations Something like The Master and his Bird

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by CharLok, Apr 10, 2017.

1. CharLok

CharLok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello,
    I'm looking for a novel from royalroadl or manga or something like the royalroadl novel "The Master and his Bird".
    I'm looking for either or both of these two qualities:
    1. A main character with a disability (gender does not matter)
    2. A life time spirit animal

If the mc has a disability then:
    "The Flame-eyed Immortal" (RRL novel) and "Ichi" (manga) also have similar qualities,
    I'll will prefer it that unlike the flame eyed immortal that the MC will not gain an ability that gets rid of his disability (for example, if the MC is blind, he will gain an ability that allows him to see basically like a normal person, I don't like this because it defeats the purpose of the MC having a disability).
    The MC should either, gains an ability or hones a sense/ability that can replace the disability, or like The Master and his Bird, gains an ability that allows him a limited amount of access to his so called disability.

The MC doesn't have to be OP, if he's a fighter then it's obviously better if he's strong, but if he ISN'T a fighter, then I don't mind him being really weak as long as he has a specific skill that he is especially strong in (for example it could be arts and crafts, alchemy or music or well, WHATEVER)

The spirit animal thing is an additional type of novel/manga that I'm also looking for, so suggestions for those will also be appreciated. It doesn't have to be a specific animal or anything, as long as the MC has some sort of bonds with animals then it is fine.

Preferably in a fantasy setting that doesn't have overly modernised values because we all know that that's just lazy writing. I'm not a scifi fan either, but if it's good I don't mind trying it out whatever setting the manga is based on.

2. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    I know one story that you might like. The Legend of the Sun Knight. Small spoiler, the main character loses
    his eyesight
    . If this is what you want, then read it. I won't go into details of how he conquers his disability, but it's a good story. Sorry, no spirit animal, unless you like The Sun God in Female Warrior(prequel).

3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    World Teacher - MC is not able to use elemental magic and has colorless magic which is considered useful. He also gets a pet later on who wolfkin call messenger of god.(though not exactly a spiritual animal, wolfkin see it as one) (But I guess that questions if you would consider that as a disability or not :/, that depends on world standards)

My Death Flags Show No Sign of Ending - Everything MC says sounds evil and like a threat so people misinterpret him.

Paradise of Demons and Gods - The MC sacrifices 70 years of his life plus ability to feel friendship, love and etc. There is also an arc in the middle when he ends up blind.

Ascendance of a Bookworm - The MC suffers from sickness called the Devouring. But not sure if it is cured later on.

The Spearmaster and the Black Cat - MC has a spiritual animal the black cat

4. CharLok

CharLok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the suggestions,
    I've dropped the Legend of the Sun Knight manhua before, I guess I try reading it this time

I'm still waiting to see if there'll be better translations for world teacher

Paradise of demons of gods seems interesting, I place that on my to read lose

5. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    With disability:
    "Dare ga Otome Geemu Dato Itta!" - A fanservice BL about a boy who realises he's in a game world and overcomes his fatal illness to save his brother. He has to take a long time to regain movement, and as of now is still mostly reliant on a wheelchair. He's working to find a cure for his illness.

"Tenonaru Hou e" - A BL about a faceless youkai who's lonely because everyone is scared of him, and a blind man. This one takes place in modern times, though.

"Watashi to Kanojo no Synesthesia" - A yuri oneshot about two girls with synesthesia who are reliant on each other. Also a modern setting.

Spirit animals:
    "Observation Record of a Self-proclaimed Villainess’ Fiance" - A girl is reincarnated as the would-be-villainess of an otome game and decides to become a high rate villain so her beloved prince can find happiness with the heroine. This is told from the perspective of the sadist prince who encourages her antics just because it amuses him, but has no intention of marrying anyone but her.
    Magic in this universe is obtained only by making a contract with a spirit, which takes the form of an animal. Both MC and the villainess have one.

"The Legendary Master's Wife" - A BL cultivation novel about a man who reincarnates as a pill cultivator and gets himself in a sticky situation after realising that something else has replaced his "elder brother". It's a comedy where MC's lover is secretly OP, MC has secret advantages, and they troll their sect. Though it takes a while to come into play, there's also a focus on magical beasts, and at the point we've reached in the translation right now, MC has four (or five?).