Recommendations Something similar to The Gamer

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Tsaimath, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Tsaimath

Tsaimath Otter Madness!

Reading List:
    Link
    After rereading the Gamer, I'm looking for something that is similar in one specific aspect:
    The "sliding" into the abyss/action, when The Gamer started out, the protag was pretty much planning to live a normal life, even with his Gamer powers but, without any great forcing reason (as in, you have to do it cause the world ends if you don't) and then he got slowly more and more used to the abyss, up to the point where he pretty much kills without trouble
    That aspect is what I'm looking for, this slow change in morals and behaviour without a direct enemy, without a direct threat. The rest can be different, there is no need for game-elements and so on. I don't care whether it's translated or English original, heck, it can even be a fan-fiction. Oh, and I know Breaking Syd and Legion of Nothing already, no need to recommend those

Let's see if there are similar things out there

2. Overclock

Overclock Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wish I knew. I think there is a Korean novel for The Gamer. Also, the mc probably has killed someone, but never committed the deed with intent.

3. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    What about that author's other works?
    Edit: Life Howling was the one I was thinking of

lucjanssens likes this.
  4. Greedyspree

Greedyspree 『Exile within the back room』

Reading List:
    Link
    While its not a novel, its a manga called Holyland.
    Its about a lonely kid, who was bullied basically spending all of his time locked in his room, as to avoid the looks of pity and disdain from others. The only place he feels even slightly alive is after night in the town, there is essentially teenage gangs(think highschool type hoodlums, some stepping deeper then others onto the bad road such as drugs, ect.) Many of them fight, and study martial arts (mostly if not all completely realistic) Its very good, and is good at hitting the emotions in some places.

devilmaycry1 and 123isme like this.
  5. Kuro no Maou

Kuro no Maou BABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABY

Reading List:
    Link
    Oooooh damn. Beat me to it. Yeah, Holyland is very good. Ending is trash though.

6. Tsaimath

Tsaimath Otter Madness!

Reading List:
    Link
    Read it till the point when the main love-intrest was kidnapped and about to be raped, I hate shit like that thus I dropped it
    But yeah, good manga ;)

7. Greedyspree

Reading List:
    Link
    You should finish it, and that does not happen, she is rescued far before she ends up raped. Though she was drugged quite heavily and it was developing in that direction.

8. Greedyspree

Reading List:
    Link
    While i hope youve read it, ill just throw out a few more, most notable would be. The breaker/new waves.
    Also tsugumomo
    Trinity Seven
    All mangas, most novels are hard throw into reincarnation or world change, very few I can recall quickly would be slight shifts in awareness.

9. Tsaimath

Tsaimath Otter Madness!

Reading List:
    Link
    Read all three of them, mostly dropped them when I was busy with studies, work or some mmorpg and thus pretty much stopped reading in general and afterwards only picking the stuff back up that stuck in my memories the most.
    Also, breaker new waves got kinda crappy over time :(

10. Azure

Azure The True Blue Sky

Reading List:
    Link
    Tokyo Ghoul. Watching his morality crumble was my favorite part.