Discussion Sorcerer's Journey NEEDS better translation!

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Stark3, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves...
    For one, we don't know if they will enact a paywall for sure.
    For two, the skipped parts are being fixed (and at wizard world I think, yea)
    For three, admit it, they ain't half bad. Most of the hating is because of Qidian vs wuxiaworld.

2. strixflash

strixflash Dao Seeker!

Reading List:
    Link
    @Qidian Would you please reply on the allegations? It's not WW vs Qidian. It's the matter of quality. The translator has skipped paragraphs/chapters, taken liberties with text, etc.

Is there some quality checker available for the novel?

3. mitre27

mitre27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Curious if he ever awoke his bloodline or if he remained a pure warrior.

4. Stark3

Stark3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I've read the latest released chapter for Sorcerer's Journey and compared it to the MTL... I'm impressed, the quality is improved by miles from what we had before. :D Hopefully, they can re-release the previous chapters so that it could be of the same quality, as well as maintain this level of quality moving forwards.

5. ZiLi

ZiLi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Heh, you've missed the fact that some translated sentences are in a different order in the chinese raws:LOL:

Wujigege likes this.
  6. Stark3

Stark3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually did notice them, if you're referring to the waiter girl. :) At first, I was thinking it was another case of skipped paragraphs, but it was just a diff in paragraph order. Personally, the way it was done is something that you might not notice unless you check directly against the RAWs. I didn't want to mention it since I might be accused of nitpicking. ^^

No details were skipped, the characters' dialog was maintained ... that checks off most of the issues that were there before, and it's so much better than what was in ch55. Once they maintain this level of quality, that's when I'll nitpick some more :p

Wujigege likes this.
  7. mitre27

mitre27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is fine in my eyes as long as it's still there, and the order makes sense.

8. Logicsol

Logicsol Proud owner of a Toyota Lernlaw

Reading List:
    Link
    Well looks like I'm taking this off my next to read list for the time being. Glad to hear they're improving though, and hopefully they'll fix the errors.

9. emry

emry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am sorry to say but u are wrong go to the website. @Sky Farrow has posted on his website that he was informed that qi already started translating daoist gu and that they are already ahead of him chapter wise. So he is now planning to translate another novel

Sky Farrow likes this.
  10. Stark3

Stark3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
    Daoist Gu is another novel of which I'm a fan, it's a toss up for me for which I like better between DG and SJ. @Sky Farrow was doing excellent work with DG .... now I have to wonder if I need to make another thread similar to this once QI puts up their chapters.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    Sky Farrow likes this.
  11. emry

emry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While there are novels with horrible translation in qidian. There are some that are good or at least acceptable. Maybe maybe daoist gu will be on the good side.
    P. S out of curiosity do u actually read translation of the books you read in raw and why.

2P. S you mentioned earlier that in sj. Some crucial info which motivated the mc to become rank 1? Or how yo become 1 was missed can u go on serial and where it was missed

12. Stark3

Stark3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Novels I really enjoy, I usually go back and re-read once an official translation is out. Coiling Dragon, Desolate Era, Douluo Dalu (1 & 2), Daoist Gu I follow closely and read once a chapter is released. I was planning on buffering SJ to a 150 chapters or so before doing the same, but since I started this thread I've felt kinda obligated to check each chapter out as they're released, see if any backsliding is going on and raise a flag if so.

As to why ... well, I'm not really a Chinese language speaker and rely on MTL. I've read a several thousand chapters via MTL already (just DG and SJ alone weigh in at 1700+ chapters each, and both aren't finished yet). but I still can't claim to understand every detail that happen in any particular scene. Sometimes a paragraph / sentence structure is more complicated than usual, or maybe the author put in a lot of descriptive words that probably sound great in Chinese but don't translate literally, or maybe there are some words that the MTL engine can't translate ... The most I've learnt is how to form a general idea based on the words that do get through then use surrounding text to extrapolate what happened, but then that's still guesswork and isn't that accurate.

Reading a proper translation is sometimes like rediscovering the novel, and since I really enjoyed it the first time around I don't have any problem in reading it again (without the headache :p). It's also fun sometimes reading a chapter with the power of hindsight and see how the author is setting things up for something big in the future.

As for your PPS:
    Hmm... not really a motivation for the user to get to rank 1, but it's the motivation for a lot of the MCs activities from ch 50ish up to 100. (MC is super low-key and lets Lafite and the rest of their mini squad do most of the work in their extra duties because he'd rather still concentrate on his preparations for the special exam. People might think why the MC suddenly became so lame or lost his backbone if they don't know that context).

Aside from that, when he DOES successfully become part of the hunting group, most of the stuff he does from there til past chapter 600 are hunting group tasks. So yeah ... not mentioning the exam or the hunting group role was kinda big...

As for which chapters they're specifically left out ... prior to chapter 55 and that chapter where he accepts Sorcerer Norris as his teacher, they were only mentioned in passing by the RAWs AFAIR. It's only in the 5X chapters that the details on their importance comes out.

13. emry

emry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I truly at the bottom of my heart respect u when I read mtl its like reading the obscure grand dao. The only thing I understand after complementing on a chapter for one hour is
    1) my eyes is bleeding
    2) my dao heart is too weak I have to back and cultivate more.

My only problem is that I like perfection and not understanding whats going really annoys me. It truly triggers me. But eh when I reach ur level of insight I would be smashing and BTW where u are in raw is mc rank 7??. In OT rank 7 is considered to be necromancy.

14. checkm8

checkm8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL that sounds like me and Epoch of Twilight. I keep reading expecting it to get better and it never does :(

Sacred Ruins is one of the victims of QI. What should be an excellent story is brought down by the translators :(

Systranet is horrible at parsing piaotian chapters :( And don't get me started on the English spelling errors!

I don't think NU should get into the habit of censorship!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2017
  15. Stark3

Stark3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm ... the Necromancy Sorcerer name is actually something that I hope that they would change in the OT. MTL gives a weird name for it, but it IS related to the spirit or soul. However, it has nothing to do with raising things back from the dead.

At where I am in the RAWs (ch1838), the MC is somewhere between rank 8 & rank 9. He could have gone ahead and made his transition to a rank 9, but those live in a higher plane and can hardly interact with lower ranked beings. He brought himself back forcefully because of the people he knew was relying on him and to finish the goals he had set.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  16. emry

emry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I PC an oersume rank 9 is the final one. In wmw that is like a god

17. SinsI

SinsI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NU is a site for novel translations - and not for fanfics/original novels only remotely based on the asian novel.
    And if you don't like censorship, you should not like what this adapter does to the Sorcerer's Journey even more.

18. Stark3

Stark3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorcerer's Journey has a different cognition to level 9 beings. It's not enough to simply call them gods ... They're totally different beings. Imagine this : a rank 8 facing lower ranks, while resulting in roller compaction on the part of the rank 8, is still a clash of similar energies.

On becoming rank 9 ( or to become rank 9, not sure which comes first ), the being escapes the confines of the current plane. Think a comic book character changing from a 2D representation, going out of the pages, and turning into a live 3D human being.

19. emry

emry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Quite an interesting example. So it will be like stellar transformation where u go from plane to plane when u level up but with extra benefit of transforming. So I will assume that story is nowhere near the end with 1800 chapters . so by now the grudge between mc civilization and the enemy civilisation is finished.
    Note : civilization is the classification of a world (the highest) in OT
    Thx for answering the question

20. Stark3

Stark3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm ... yeah, at ch1838 the end is still a bit far off. The enemy civilization - the Abyss (the one that defeated them in the 2nd Civilization War and forced them to shift the Sorcerer World in space-time to escape) is seriously powerful. Destiny / fate / a behind the scenes manipulator has already manipulated 6 (or was it more? hmm..) other civilizations to be in conflict with them, but they're still holding their own. Where I left off, the sorcerer civilization is still cleaning up in their cluster of systems, making sure that they're all part of the Sorcerer Alliance as either members or slaves so that there'll be no threats to them and they can focus on joining the battle against the Abyss.