Discussion Sorcerer's Journey NEEDS better translation!

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Stark3, Jul 1, 2017.

1. John Cui

John Cui New Member

Reading List:
    Link

First of all, I'd like to ask if you can go to the new chapters

Hi, Stark 3. I was actually struck dumb when Strixflash dropped his/her review about the novel, telling me I was doing REALLY bad. I clicked open this thread but didn't have the courage to face up the deluge of negative comments at the time.

My editor and some Qidian stuff were talking with me about the situation when this incident came up. They might be angry but at least they weren't displaying it and they were also not bossing around, making me to do what what to remedy it. We discussed about it and almost immediately decided that we need to shift the strategy.

Qidian comforted me to carry on because the novel will stay alive as long as we listen to the readers, pinpoint the problems and deal with them. My editor convinced me in a more professional way. He told me that my translation was not flowing naturally. It felt like you are in one place this time and in another place later and nothing more. ( He had felt this way but he doesn't know Chinese. So he believed it was because of the Raw went this way.) I didn't realize this until then.

Before starting working on this novel, I had realized that MC is powering up too slowly until at around 130 chapters. Some of the Chinese readers summarized the plot as "fight against low-grade and mid-grade bosses in the first 100 chapters or so" and "against the big boss a long time later". So some declared that their cravings can't be satisfied to the full for quite a long time. This was the source that i decided to quicken the pace up by omitting some details and cutting two chapters.

This speeding-up thought was fueled when I talked about it with a former teacher of mine, a well-respected translator in China. He told me that translators can pay more attention to readers' feedback and have some choice in dealing with web-novels. But I should have talked with him more about this!

I admit that trying to gratify readers instantly had made the translation much less attractive than the Raw actually is, which you have pointed out. I now 100 percent agree with your opinion that I should stick to the Raw, and thus more parts would be focused on to build a richer story such as world building, exploration of the MCs thought processes / personality. These things would create a more complete setting and made MC's upgrade more real and practical.

Again, thanks for your professional analysis on this novel. I'm really grateful.

(Sorry for the late reply. It took me grate courage to visit this thread. :xd And I have been working on the old chapters. and I'm looking forward to your feedback on the new chapters.)

2. John Cui

John Cui New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Got your point. Thanks for bring this to our attention.

3. Stark3

Stark3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi @John Cui. Haha, I wouldn't describe my analysis as 'professional', though I guess I did go above and beyond most posts I've seen here in NU. I guess I really am a big fan of this work :)

I've checked out chapters 27 and 28 (the origin of much of the quotes I've posted before) and it really is much better. :) I haven't tried going any earlier than that, since I wasn't able to do an in depth comparison before, but the chapters following 28 are great. I'm looking forward to the time that the updates reach the missing 2 chapter gap and fill that in, after which I know I can wholeheartedly recommend this to the people I know.

Anti-trope likes this.