Spoilers: Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Falhrus, Apr 28, 2016.

?

Do you like spoilers?

1. Yes!

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. No!

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. It depends.

51 vote(s)
    77.3%
  4. Who cares?

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falhrus

Falhrus Avoiding enemies is hard work y'know?

Reading List:
    Link
    My fellow readers. It has come to my attention about the issue of spoilers. Before, I didn't give a fuck about them but now, something happened and I just made this thread to satisfy my curiosity on what most people think.

Please choose your side! Lol

2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    Depend, I read spoiler to satisfy my curiosity and not because of it I drop a novel but it I can use it as preference to pick up one:)

3. Crimson Nanashi

Crimson Nanashi Suu | Loves and protects Master

Reading List:
    Link
    be aware that if you spoil what happens to deity of books will have vengeance upon your soul

4. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    If I want to know something then I don't mind spoilers. I just hate it when i don't want to know something and it's revealed without a single warning. That annoys me

5. Lucinia

Lucinia Baby turtles are the Overlords of cuteness *_*

Reading List:
    Link
    When the cliffhanger is killing me

6. ABMAINA

ABMAINA ★☆☆☆☆

Reading List:
    Link
  7. Lao

Lao Languid

Reading List:
    Link
    I look at spoilers to see if a book is any good, but sometimes the people who write the spoilers are pure idiots

8. Enigma

Enigma Follower of Jesus, he's the only way

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's a bad cliff hanger then I'm all for spoilers

9. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reading is about the journey not the destination so I spoilers can be disregarded as they only tease at what's to come. Of course I still try to avoid spoilers since I enjoy a bit of mystery, but there are times I make exceptions. If the story I'm reading is a particularly dark one I will usually look up spoilers. That's mainly to figure out if a character I like is going to die, or if there is going to rape later down the line. In which case I cut myself off emotionally from the story, or just drop it if it's going to get really bad.

10. RandomComment

RandomComment Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've seen outright false spoilers on countless occasions before, so I take them with a grain of salt in any case. However, as for whether spoilers are good or bad...thats really situational. If a series I'm reading goes weeks/months without updates, then I'm going to either forget about it or I'm going to look up spoilers to sate my curiosity. If its a series that gets updated regularly (weekly or more frequent), then I'm not gonna bother with looking up spoilers even if the series is finished. I'm fine reading 1 chapter a week for most series that have decent length chapters.

Only time I'd look up spoilers, even if a series is frequently updated, is if I'm just sick of it but want to know the ending or the general progress of the plot. Zhan Long is one such example. Used to update frequently but well...the spoilers were all up anyway so went through them and dropped.

11. VixenKiss

VixenKiss Machiavelli the Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    How can spoilers be bad (assuming they're presented properly).
    It's your prerogative whether you want to read/see them or not, in which case it serves to help those that are curious and want to know more.

12. KainMori

KainMori in relationship with novels

Reading List:
    Link
    spoiler is good to relieve anxiety due to cliffhanger, but it will weaken any impact of the story.
    as for me, i'm okay with having plot twist I already know beforehand rather than having all day groaning speculating what would happen.

Archerreborn2 likes this.
  13. lichdeath

lichdeath undead meatbun ^^

Reading List:
    Link
    dont care you can spoil me all i want

josh_15 likes this.
  14. Dragn555

Dragn555 Writer of Unnecessary Essays

Reading List:
    Link
    I like spoilers for xianxias since I know the translation will only explain a certain point after years of chapter releases. Stuff like spoiler summaries are also nice when they're fairly detailed, especially for novels that have repetitive/boring events (hello ATG). Some spoilers can also get me more motivated to read through a long novel.

15. drewjn

drewjn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Simple, it depends on the person and also the nature of the spoiler and how it pertains to the work it spoils. Some have more varied acceptances of being spoiled, some hate any spoiling whatsoever. The question overall is kind of unneeded as people have differing preferences.

16. DarkArts

DarkArts ✫ First Ancestor of the Assassin Sect ✫

Reading List:
    Link
    Spoilers don't particularly disturb me... Firstly, I can avoid them if necessary, there's absolutely nothing that can force me to read them. Secondly, I do sometimes read them to satisfy my curiosity about something in the story. Thirdly, spoilers sometimes make me want to read the story even more when I read how interesting the story would be at a certain point or something like that. In conclusion, I'm generally not bothered by spoilers, though of course, they can be annoying sometimes when you don't want to read them and someone just posts one without warning.:cool:

Edit: Spoilers have no fault in this... It's the people who post them who don't know the right TPO.

17. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes a spoiler can motivate me to read more. Because I am curious about the details of something that I know happens, and I want to reach that point. If the spoilers are too detailed, though, that motivation doesn't exist.

Archerreborn2 and DarkArts like this.
  18. Archerreborn2

Archerreborn2 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's hard to say, it depends a lot on how the story is written and how detailed the spoilers are. For example I don't like reading spoilers for Xianxia stories because the driving force for reading is finding out how the protagonist powers up and overcomes challenges. Once these are spoiled, a lot of the impact during those scenes is lost. Alternatively if the story is more interaction driven, spoilers don't mean much because what you're really looking at is the specific dialogue between characters rather than the outcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.