Discussion State backed fake martial arts

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by criticalmind, Feb 9, 2020.

1. criticalmind

criticalmind Enter Chunni Name Here

Reading List:
    Link
    So, this video showed up in my recommendations today. At first, it's basically about cults of fake martial artists who try to convince people that they can knock people out with their minds. But the last ten minutes... China is scary these days. They basically ruined a guy's life because they thought he was disrespecting traditional martial arts.

Made me realise why I get this uncomfortable sensation whenever I read cnovels with the overdone Chinese nationalism. Anyone else felt like they were listening to propaganda in a novel?

2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Their martial arts may have been fake, but their face is REAL. :blobpeek:

3. LNreader

LNreader Courting Death

Reading List:
    Link
    The no touch master is legit, no touching the salad.

0000000 likes this.
  4. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    It's funny?
    Most countries have some form of nationalism, China's just takes on a weird spin when it comes to traditional martial arts.

asriu, Jiggy, justmehere and 3 others like this.
  5. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't be surprised about modern sects still exerting some influence over society in the martial underworld. Of course, that is if the government hasn't control all of them. Prestige goes a long way in China.

You can kill a person, but you can't kill their "face". This has been repeated many times in C novels.

0000000 likes this.
  6. venu101

venu101 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They have a lot of propaganda going on nowadays and also the censors will remove any anti China material and not to mention if you are a Chinese citizen in China you are probably fucked. Also you don't have to read novels to find Chinese propaganda just log into any popular game in Asia having any servers in Japan, Korea or elsewhere in the east and you'll find at least one chat spammer talking of how great his country is and the rest of the world is trash.
    Edit: nationalism is fine and all but I find the Chinese one annoying since they're like toxic 13year olds on cod games.

imK, Araenn, anon and 2 others like this.
  7. icerror

icerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nuff said

imK, Avrnea, Geor and 2 others like this.
  8. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    Every cultures have their own mysticism aspect.

otaku31 likes this.
  9. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    if I have my facts right, this is what happened to cixi taihou

10. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    You referring to the MMA guy right? Because I didn't really go and watch the video right now. Yeah, China operates like that. You want to die real quickly in China, say something bad about the guy in potrait or the govt, pretty soon you will die by mobbing.

Also, I am deadass sure that they have the mentality of "me doing bad things to you is justice, but you do anything bad to me and it is a capital crime". I would also like to point out that they are mostly hardwired thanks to their circumstances and am rigid in their structure. The same thing can be said to Japan's Imperial Family or at least for the older generation and for Korea it is their Chaebols, as in their nobles, which pretty much still exist like mafia and works like the invisible hand.

imK, Araenn, joey183 and 2 others like this.
  11. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    Funny since grandpa mao wanted to get rid of that shit but now they want it stamped in everybody's faces.

12. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mad dog is a fucking hero in my book.

13. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    cults = deprogrammers ... but god you'd need a ton of them ...

14. apricotsoda

apricotsoda Shy Shy Shy

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese martial arts was just a beautified exercise routine compared to it's equivalent in other countries which has more uses from a modern perspective.

15. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    You must be living under a rock.

It is the same way people in the 1980s believed that women would defeat would be rapists by taking a handful of martial arts classes

16. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Naah, it was a form of dance

17. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Having not seen the video in its entirety yet, I will say this: It is hard to know what makes a martial art authentic seeing as how many if not most martial arts draw influence from others and often incorporate aspects of other martial arts.

18. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah china proganda use tai chi for martial art kinda.... weird yeah~ this cat never learn it~ only see perform stage pn tai chi which is imo good for health but not practical~ heck if china wanna go better take wu shu cuz wu shu only lack on incorporate into real fight~ it training is really good to train physical body, balance and awareness which kinda kinda basic thing for fight~ sure it is hard training but maybe not as crazy as shaolin monk training~
    really weird why china choice tai chi
    @Wu Jizun do you have any idea?

19. Wu Jizun

Wu Jizun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tai chi that is part of the wushu curriculum is no longer designed for combat; they even butchered the life out of wing chun to turn it into a taolu event. The only practical versions you could learn are the traditional ones not diluted by the surge of taolu, which is hard to find someone who knows what they're teaching. They want wushu in the olympics, so they'll fund it to the high heavens.

Taichi is by far the biggest division in the games because of the large age bracket of participants. The 24 and 32, for example, are easy enough for anyone to get started on. Even though Changquan is popular, as well, it's hard to promote something so demanding to a large audience.

The whole beating people without even touching them gimmick exists in more than China. They do it Vietnam and even Thailand:facepalm:

asriu likes this.
  20. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Fortunately I'm being taught the real authentic practical wing chun back in my teenage days instead of the traditional 'school' form. Kudos to my senior and teacher who's willing to taught us the martial arts without the bullshit (including the hammering/hazing to disciples thingy)

imK likes this.