Recommendations Stories where the MC isn't the center of existance, or linked directly to it

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Darius Drake, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    Another of my "How Common Is This" Threads.

This time I'm looking for stories where the Main Character isn't in, or become entangled in, the middle of every major issue that happens within a few square kilometres of them. Close friends (aka, major secondary characters) being engaged instead of the MC and tells the tale to the MC count as the MC being entangled. Basically, I'm looking for stories where there are obvious signs that other people are getting into just as much trouble just like the MC, but we're not following their story. As if the story was a multi-MC story, but we only were given the perspective of a single MC stead of 4 or 5 different character perspectives with independent MC's.

2. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
    Sword Oratoria

3. Grand_Rider_Iskandar

Grand_Rider_Iskandar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well it's a spin off that focuses on another character. But it's still quite off the mark doesn't it?

What the op wants is a story that has a living, breathing world instead on one that revolves the mc.

4. brigs11

brigs11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I made a post looking for something that is kind of(?) similar to what you want here;
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/observer-main-character.114203/
    Your request seems even more niche than mine. If you're looking for just hints about other people doing other things without following their POV then I've got nothing. If you want stories where other characters do their own thing that you can look at then the thread I sent you should have a few novels for that.

5. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    Based on the title alone, I think it's quite the opposite, with yours being more restrictive than mine. "Observer Main Character" means that they are only tangentially connected to the plot, and are more of the medium through which the plot is observed than the focus of it. For this request, the MC can do things, even be the most important figure in the major problem being solved... so long as they aren't the only person known to be solving it and getting into major trouble trying to do so. Basically, I want the story to feature rumors about the danger at least one minor character, or even non-character, gets into to be spread just as much as the ones about the MC. I want something like a MC leaving an auction house with their winnings, killing a bandit or five who tried to steal from him, and the rumors the next day to be about the mysterious individual who managed to single-handedly fight off a some sort of ninja army which was dispatched to steal their purchases.

Basically, Grand_Rider_Iskandar was right. What I want is "a living, breathing world instead on one that revolves the mc". That doesn't mean that the MC can't do things, just that they can't be the center of everything.

6. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/2826/a-heros-war - the MC isn't the "hero". The actual summoned Hero is on the other side of the continent doing his own thing, causing huge political issues, and is not aware of the MC for almost half the story. (note: the novel seems to be abandoned) The MC is only knows what the Hero is doing through rumors and gossip. The MC is only making waves around a couple of regions within one kingdom for quite a bit before the other kingdoms notice things are happening.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  7. FHandsome

FHandsome Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. I Eat Monsanto

I Eat Monsanto He who courts death

Reading List:
    Link
    Legend of the Great Sage

Harry likes this.
  9. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Six-Book-ebook/dp/B00APA4ZPG - the 2 authors each write the POV of one of the 2 MCs. The 2 MCs are not aware of each other until their story lines intersect. Even so, they have different purposes and intentions, so their story lines diverge again.

Femme Fatale likes this.
  10. PaiN

PaiN Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  11. skyfall3250

skyfall3250 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  12. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    that manga/novel about a restaurant that connected to multiple points in the fantasy world. The customers varies including mortal enemies, those who normally would kill each other in sight but they are eating without fighting as they all don' t want to be banned from the establishment.

13. Teadragon

Teadragon Book Wyrm

Reading List:
    Link
    The Santiago series by Mike Resnick

14. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Kenja likes this.
  15. Damsell in Distress

Damsell in Distress Waiting for dashing MC to save me from myself

Reading List:
    Link
    Trafford's trading club maybe..??
    MC act as spectator most of the times and the story focus on the "member" of the club and their experience after they met MC

16. yakuzapandaz

yakuzapandaz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  17. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The annoying thing is, I read a book that exactly fits your request but I can't remember what it was. It was recently too, I just can't remember it! :notlikeblob:

18. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    You're looking for traditional novels then. Wheel of Time is good a time sink

19. JIKI

JIKI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    narita ryohgo has a lot of ensemble casts: (many have chapters/downloadable pdfs on other sites)
    Baccano!
    Durarara!! (sequel Durarara!!SH) (chapters on on
    Vamp!
    Etsusa Bridge

hai to gensou no grimgar (downloadable pdfs on other sites)
    kino no tabi (MC is a traveler, but doesn't have much influence on the world at large)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Passerby likes this.
  20. kurisomething

kurisomething Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    This one is “Isekai Shokudou”, but I don’t think it’s exactly what you’re looking for