Chinese Strange Life of a Cat

Discussion in 'Novel Pickup Request' started by erynalu, May 12, 2021.

1. erynalu

erynalu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Name: Strange Life of a Cat (Back in Time as a Cat) 回到过去变成猫
    Raw Link:
    https://book.qidian.com/info/3008159#Catalog
    NU Link: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/strange-life-of-a-cat/

Why It Should Get Picked Up:
    It was picked up in webnovel but was on and off until... it stopped being updated :(
    The novel is a fun slice of life, and Charcoal is just an interesting character to follow (and it's animal protagonist!!). There are a lot of biology/science term weaved through the story along with cases (hence the Mystery tag) and you just learn new stuff through it, whether it's life lessons or just general knowledge.
    I compared the raw and the translation on the last few chapters and found out the translated are much compacted, so I hope whoever picks this up would not cut so much details.

Description: (copied from NU)
    Zheng Tan somehow returns to the year 2003, turning into a black cat. Picked up from a rubbish heap by the Jiao family, he is given the name “Charcoal”, and so begins the life inside Professor Jiao’s family. Zheng Tan remembers that he was once a person, but currently his body is that of a cat. He has no way of speaking the human language, but can understand it, and even retains the thinking and IQ of a young 20 year old youth. Read along as he adapts to this new world, and somehow tumbles from a group brawl to catching a thief.

Previous pick up link: https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/strange-life-of-a-cat.24380/
    * Forgot to mention this novel is from 2013

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    nyamachi, Blitz, Kirikaize and 3 others like this.
  2. natsume142

natsume142 だが、断る

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, can someone pick this up.. I am tired of complaining at Webnovel heck I even uninstall them coz I am soo mad.

3. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    QI is extremely territorial about their properties, so any pickups of their novels is just a DMCA waiting to happen, unless the translator does like super-secret discords and all that jazz.

4. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Adding on to it, it's by the same author who wrote chronicles of primordial war, star rank hunter and superstars of tomorrow. A nice and cute story about a newly turned cat

5. erynalu

erynalu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah this is so sad :( They are don't want to translate it and not allow people to translate it, so what to do?
    But I was surprised to see the webnovel version is unlocked all the way to the last translated chapter, I thought all webnovel required some kind of currency to read/unlock. I guess that's because the novel is not popular enough? Not really sure how webnovel works.

6. Exuria

Exuria Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahhhh I loved this novel so much and was sad that it stopped updating on WebNovel:blobsob:

7. SpicySugar

SpicySugar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's sad that they dropped this, it would be hard to pick this up cause it's from webnovel
    : (