Discussion Suggestions for must-read novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Parth37955, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, ok.
    Ok

2. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
  3. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    ...?

Was that a bump? You could just stick it in this case...

4. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    people don't see stickied stuff. if they did, they would know the rules.

AliceShiki likes this.
  5. Harvestasya

Harvestasya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    because of they are rules they avoided

6. Ainz Ooal Gown

Ainz Ooal Gown 『Supreme Overlord』『Harbringer of Death』

Reading List:
    Link
    Saved. Should've seen this post earlier. :3

7. SleepyFox

SleepyFox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would disagree with A Thought Through Eternity, it's a great novel but Bai Xiaochun does things very differently to normal MCs - part of the comedy is him breaking the normal Xianxia/Xuanhuan common sense after all. If you're a new reader I would come back to it after reading I Shall Seal the Heavens and hopefully some other works.

I disagree with Sevens just in general. Too many girls, too many names D: I think most of my time reading was spent trying to remember who everyone was, including the MC! Well, up to like chapter 100 is good. The MC sucks though, I hate him, he isn't suited for a harem at all. I'm not jealous. Huh?

I think I started with Against the Gods, in retrospect it's not the best novel but it was exciting and pretty simplistic so I had no trouble understanding what was going on as opposed to a novel like Perfect World where I have no idea what's happening at any given time (But that's why I love it! Also, shameless MC is shameless :p)

I wouldn't really recommend Xianxia to someone starting CN novels, I would recommend Xuanhuan first because it gives an intro to some Chinese traditions, terminology and the writing style alongside a mixture of different ideas and idealogies so it's easier to relate. Then move on to Xianxia when you can at least understand half of it. The exception would be something like ISSTH where both the translation and footnotes to explain terms and past events are superb (<3 DB).

PS. Coiling Dragon is not Xianxia.

8. LC

LC Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    what is this : Gifting this Wonderful World ?
    can somebody give me (A lot) of spoiler

9. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    I know. It's Qihuan.

10. craBebe

craBebe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Looking at the list, I think my suggestions would be:

Terror Infinity: This novel has a completely different feel than all the other novels in the list right now. It's in a league all it's own, and while some people may not enjoy it. I think it's a great addition as a representation of the Chinese Horror genre.

Martial World: Looking at the current Chinese list you've got a good selection from all the popular authors with diverse enough styles that nothing really has the same feel as the rest. This would just be a way to bring in another solid novel/author to pad the list without bringing in more novels from the same authors (Er Gen, Tang Jia San Shao, etc.)

World of Cultivation: Another good Chinese series from another good author who has multiple series on NU. It hits some of the same notes as ISSTH, but the fact that pinyin is a major part of the translation gives the novel an entirely different feel compared to your average translation. The cultivation and plot structure also gives this novel a wholly unique feel compared to the rest of the xianxia out there, that and it's just really good.

Rebirth of the Thief Who Roamed the World: Despite the misgivings(and hatred) directed towards Mad Snail for dumping his series, he's still a great author and this is one of his only series that's actually completed. Love him or hate him, TDG is still one of the most popular novels on NU so even if TDG won't make this list(as it shouldn't given the direction it's heading) I still feel Mad Snail deserves a recommendation slot. The novel's translation is still somewhat in it's infancy, but the fact that the Chinese genre doesn't really have any VR novels on it's list yet would make this a good addition.

Demonic King Chases His Wife: The Rebellious Good-For-Nothing-Miss: I feel like the Chinese list is missing a good female protagonist cultivation novel. I'm not sure if this one is it as I haven't read a ton of them (Descent of Phoenix and Black Bellied Miss could be other potentials) but it seems like a female POV isn't properly represented in the Chinese section.

I would also argue for Against the Gods but that feels pointless given Parth's known.. dislike.. for ATG.

I also feel like the Korean section of the list needs some more entries, but I'm not really sure which ones to add as the entire Korean genre is even more homogeneous than the Chinese(at least given the current novels being translated.)

Dungeon Hunter is very similar to Dungeon Defense, but still really good.
    Seoul Station's Necromancer is similar to EER, but still really good.
    Emperor of Solo Play is similar to LMS, but still really good(and much better imo.)

King of the Battlefield and Reincarnator are probably the two novels that hit a different genre than what's currently in the Korean list as they're survival game in another world, rather than survival game on earth(like EER/SSN.) Not a huge distinction, but given the similarity in the Korean genre you kinda gotta take what you can get.

I happen to enjoy KotB more than Reincarnator, but Reincarnator would probably be my recommendation given it's popularity and current translation status. I don't enjoy some of the plot devices the author uses, but my opinion isn't the only one that matters.

Take all these into consideration, I feel they would be good additions depending on how long you want your lists to be. After your lists are compiled, maybe start a Poll thread for each genre to let people vote in a top 5 or 10. Just thoughts.

11. craBebe

Reading List:
    Link
    It's called pirac... err, appropriation.

I disagree. Endings aside, he's pretty much the best representation of the genre as a whole. While his novels might be somewhat vanilla in certain aspects, he's still probably the best author for a beginner to start with. Pretty sure everyone here started with Coiling Dragon.

12. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    At least his novels tend to start out alright, plenty of other authors don't even manage that.
    Beyond that it is a toss up if someone would stick with it or not, seen plenty of people get disappointed at the mid points of his stories not to mention endings, although I guess it is common for other stories in those genres to fall apart much earlier.

13. craBebe

Reading List:
    Link
    True, he's by no means perfect but I feel like he's the most consistent author on NU. All of his novels are consistently good, not great, not necessarily the best novels here, but they're all solid stories. I can honestly say I've never lost interest in one of his novels on a week to week basis.

14. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not the best person to talk about in depth about this novel. But since no one reply you, here goes spoiler for Gifting:
    First, you can read it here: http://skythewoodtl.com/fanfic-gifting/
    Gifting is about a boy die and reincarnated into another world. He was asked by the goddess to defeat the demon king.

The boy is asked to choose a cheat skills, but he choose the goddess herself to accompany him in his mission to fight the demon king, thus, the boy and the goddess got transport into another world and begin their adventure.

Gifting is not a story about your normal adventurer, the MC himself is weak, coward, scum, doesn't play fair, wicked, intelligent, lazy and pervert. If you thing that is abnormal, wait till you see his party member which is consist of 3 beautiful girls.

All 3 girls are definitely S-Rank Adventurer Material. The goddess as powerful healer, a powerful sorcerer and the strong vanguard crusader. But all the 3 girls have screw loose. No other adventurer wants to party with them if they can.

The MC never wants to go out fight the Demon king, but somehow, the demon generals are defeated one by one in the hands of MC and his party.

This novel definitely got 10/10 for comedy. If you like comedy, you won't regret reading this.

LC likes this.
  15. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I'll be reorganizing this and making a poll later.

AliceShiki likes this.
  16. SleepyFox

SleepyFox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, that was more in response to some people who'd recommended it as Xianxia... I thought I'd quoted them :/

17. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm...I feel like I need to change the premise of this.

asriu likes this.
  18. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    uh, I felt like making a list of novels that should be read at least once, regardless of whether you're new or not. This is different from my beginner's thread, as I just want the novels that you guys consider are the best. I'll probably divide them based on genre and then maybe trope.

Anyways, what I want here are suggestions. I will later run polls to decide which ones should be added. You have to give your suggestions based on how the novel is currently. So if something is great at the start and is kind of shitty now, don't suggest it.

19. orang

orang Fatewatcher

Reading List:
    Link
    The dragon of invisibility, perhaps?
    Now in a more serious note...
    The legend of the legendary 'shieldbro'
    The legend of Rudeus Greyrat
    And the first book of Hajime's legend

EROgeX, Shizukani and VOLX98 like this.
  20. Ophious

Ophious Pathfinder kinda fun

Reading List:
    Link
    My Death Flags Show No Sign of Ending
    Evil God Average
    Death March kara Hajimaru Isekai Kyusoukyoku (WN or LN)
    Yuusha-sama no Oshishou-sama
    I Shall Seal the Heavens
    The Lazy Swordmaster

LifeFrog and Dayong9909 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.