Discussion Text-Based Zombie Apocalypse Browser Game

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Robofs740, Jun 28, 2018.

?

Which Guild theme should I/we go for?

Poll closed Jul 3, 2018.
  1. Cultists who worship Zombies

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Adventurer's Guild/Explorer's Guild

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. Robofs740

Robofs740 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I found an interesting text-based zombie apocalypse browser game named Zapoco. I'm pretty bad at explaining things and usually make interesting games and novels sound quite worse, but I'll try my best.

It's a game where players are still figuring out how certain features work and how certain items work as well. Gameplay revolves around three energy bars to complete certain tasks, and it has things known as safehouses (guilds). For the most part, the zombie-related parts are a bit lacking (where they only popup to say that they attacked you while scavenging or exploring), and currently, it seems like fighting between safehouses is more prominent where it feels like I'm playing Minecraft Faction servers. However, even though the zombie part isn't amazing in the game's current state, it seems that the game is only 4 months old, which means that some features might not be fleshed out but that also means player feedback is greatly appreciated. On the bright side, due to this, the developer team realized their current flaw with the zombies and created an NPC zombie that will attack other players randomly and let this zombie make it's own announcement, meaning that it might command a zombie-only safehouse in the future..

One thing to note is that if you don't like grinding, Zapoco might not be for you. The reason is related to the energy bar and the training feature. Training is an important feature that resembles cultivators from novels. By training, you can increase a certain stat which increases your PvP prowess, and you will be able to have a better time when fighting players of other safehouses and increase your ability to enact justice on those who bully the weak and new safehouses (As soon as I created my own safehouse, I was attacked by players from the top 2 safehouses within 10 hours). The best part is that the max total stat points is not capped by level, so feel free to stay level 1 or 2 and hide your true power. So if you do decide to play this game, get ready for the grind to the top, and once you get to the top, you can act as an arrogant young master or law enforcer to your hearts content.

If you're someone like me who likes grinding to pass the time (and wait for the game to be updated), here are some of the goals I made for myself.
    • Get strong enough to make my own safehouse that starts a war against every other safehouse (Made but disbanded an evil church-themed safehouse)
    • Bully those who once bullied me after grinding stats
    • Overdose on food items 1000 times
    • Stay as low level as possible while increasing stat points to have others underestimate you.
    Use my referral link: https://www.zapoco.com/z/8151
    Or don't: https://www.zapoco.com

Oh right, the poll at the top.. Just ignore that, as it was related to my old version of my post, which is located below.
    Hey, I found an interesting four month old text-based zombie apocalypse browser game named Zapoco. I honestly don't know a ton about this game as I was just shown it yesterday, but I'll talk about some of its features that I found during my 2 hours of playtime. If you don't feel like reading some of the information I've found, feel free to just skip the spoilers and head on over to the last part of this post, where there's a bit more interesting things.

While this might be a turn off to some players, advancing further in the game revolves around three bars, the energy, nerve, and happiness bar. This means that running out of energy and nerve can stall gameplay; however, it also means that you do not need to dedicate a ton of time to this game. Anyway, energy seems to be used for certain activities, such as training, attacking, farming/working, and exploring. On the other hand, nerve is used for scavenging in places that zombies frequent.

Two of the main activities that you get right off of the bat are training stat points and scavenging. Your overall stats start at 10.0000 for each stat, while slowly increasing it whenever you train. But, wait, there's more. It does not seem like there is a stat cap, so have fun raising one stat to a thousand while keeping the others at 10. (Or just go a normal balanced build).

As for scavenging, it takes up nerve to scavenge at certain places, and successfully scavenging an area, will reward you with vaccines (the currency in this game), experience, and a few other items. However, there is a chance that a zombie will attack you, and you will instantly go into recovery at the hospital.

So what exactly is this bar? Well, the higher your happiness is, the more stat points you gain from training. (It also drains your happiness slightly) Another thing that happiness does is increase your chance at avoiding zombies and being successful during a scavenging attempt. On a side note, it seems that the default happiness cap is at 100, but upon joining a safehouse and upgrading it, the happiness cap can go up into the thousands.

Like most games, this text-based game has a guild system, officially known as Safehouses. The benefits of joining or creating one are pretty substantial. Depending on how high the safehouse is upgraded, your happiness meter can increase into the thousands, meaning that your gains from training will increase as well.

(I haven't really bought an acre of land yet, so this section is just based on what I've read/heard.) Like mentioned previously in the Energy section, farming is also a thing. Successfully farming will result in grain, which can then be sold for 4-5k.
    Something interesting to note, is that some safehouses actually give you enough money to buy land, but in return, you have to farm until you get enough money to pay them back, and possibly a bit more.

There are a few NPCs in the game that drop different things when you defeat them. I'm not entirely sure what you can get, but I know for a fact that the Traveller NPC drops a backpack. Once you get a backpack, you can then explore the world and find different supplies. (I still have yet to explore).

As for the in-game events, it seems that their staff team trained an account named Zombo with an NPC role for the intent of simulating an intelligent Zombie that will attack players randomly or selectively. Once Zombo was fit for battle, they made an announcement today about how he'll start to attack players, since they've become lax farmers.

You are able to be an OP level 1 player. If one of us were to only train for stat points without clicking the upgrade button (You gain xp through scavenging, but once you have enough xp to level up, an upgrade button will appear at the top left. As long as you don't press it, you can stay level 1), you can have hundreds of stat points without leveling up. Honestly, leveling up just seems to increase the amount of nerve you have, so if you don't really feel fond of scavenging, stay as an OP level 1.

You can overdose on cheeseburgers. Well, any food item in the game. To be honest, since this is a text-based game, I feel like the developer would award a player who gets to 100 overdoses or at least the player with the highest amount of overdoses. Please Note: Overdosing in-game causes you to have a long cooldown/sit in the hospital, rendering you unable to do anything.

Since this is a text-based game, we can make our own mark on Zapoco's servers. By making a NUF-related guild, we can conduct organized raids on other guilds after declaring war on them. We can help shape the direction of Zapoco's "story" through our actions and/or roleplay. Another thing is that since the "tutorial" barely tells you about this game, you might feel interested in finding out how everything in this game works and how the rest of us will be practically blind when playing this game.

Anyway, if you got this far into the thread, I'll be making a Safehouse (guild) in this game if we get enough traction on this thread. So feel free to join once I make it. Honestly, the other guilds don't really roleplay as much or their roleplay is a bit off-topic for a Zombie Apocalypse world. I'm looking at you, Hogwartz.

Anyway, I'm split between which type of safehouse I'm going to create. Should it be a Cult that "worships" the zombies and the NPC zombies or an Explorer/Adventurer-type Guild that focuses on exploring and information. Once the theme is chosen, I'll more or less try to roleplay according to that theme. However, one of my goals is to get one of us (or me) to become the player with the most overdoses.

Here's the link to this browser game (Edit: I just realized the link was broken): https://www.zapoco.com/z/8151
    P.S. This is my second* gaming discussion thread and my second* browser game thread. As for why it's only browser games, meh. Everyone knows about the other console and pc games.
    P.P.S. I really hope that this thread doesn't get drowned out by the other threads. Looking at you General Chat

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    infinit3aura likes this.
  2. Robofs740

Robofs740 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh right, @RTS I almost forgot that you wanted to be mentioned when I made the thread.

3. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link
    This looks an awful lot like torncity...