That part in the Japanese isekai light novel

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Sager, Nov 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Just read any fiction novel written by any English speaking person who travels to Brazil. The way they describe Brazil, it's like they've gone to another world. Ai-chan used to read this English guy's blog about his first time in Brazil. He described it as if it's paradise.

2. Walk ER

Walk ER New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The food trope always gets on my nerves. Soy sauce has never be worth that kind of reaction (as written in books) ... Or any reaction if I have to be honest o_O

novaes likes this.
  3. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Erina is best girl!

Wujigege likes this.
  4. BurgerKong

BurgerKong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For people known for being very thin, the Japanese seem absolutely obsessed with food.

5. BurgerKong

BurgerKong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese web authors get paid and have editors.

6. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Only the really successful ones get any kind of support like this. Less successful writers would make way more money by working at McDonald's. The real reason why Chinese writers are better isn't any special about them, it's because Japanese web novelists are extraordinarily bad. Just compare them to proper Japanese writers and this will make it obvious that this has nothing to do with nationality.

7. Defiring

Defiring Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you realize how many Jp novels there are out there? You've probably only read like 0.5%. Don't be so quick to judge. There are plenty of god-awful Chinese novels.

8. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure, but I'm talking solely about Japanese web novels, and when it comes to those, all the popular ones are translated. There are also plenty of bad Chinese novels out there, but of the ones that get attention, very few are bad at the basics of writing the way that most Japanese web novels are. And this applies:

9. Defiring

Reading List:
    Link
    All the popular ones are translated? Absolutely not. All the popular 'isekai' ones are translated, plus the most popular ones often aren't the best.

10. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    Pray tell how many books on this list aren't translated? https://yomou.syosetu.com/rank/list/type/total_total/

Face it, the most popular isekai titles are the most popular Japanese web novels as well. This is very much a representative sample of the kind of web novels being written, and their overall quality is quite bad. The fact that there are better books out there doesn't disprove a damned thing because my whole point is that Japanese web novelists don't have much incentive to improving their craft.

11. Defiring

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I get what you meant. Yeah, they don't have incentive to do so. But a lot of them still do. Blame Japanese readers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's the author filler magic 8ball. Whenever you get lost just give it a shake and it will throw out a random answer.
    • soy sauce episode
    • rice episode
    • beach restaurant episode
    • save girl from a dog flash back episode
    • slavery is bad! but it's ok for me to have slaves because I'm nice episode
    • saw someone naked because what are doors, how do they work? episode
    • power of friendship powerup episode
    • town is full of idiots who are amazed by the MCs vague, middle-school knowledge episode
    It's an amazing device!

13. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll honestly miss our local staple food too in case I got hit by Truck kun and got Isekai'd. However, my main problem is how the fuck does the MC know the processing of these foods? Modern people don't even know what rice paddies even look like, nor how to create miso or nori. It's just a major ass pull in the author's part. They usually just copy paste a wiki-how step by step on their novels.

14. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It gets worse when you consider all the additives and artificial components added to manufactured food, even if they make it themselves the taste will never be the same.
    At least some series provide an out, like how "I Decided to Cook Because the Losing Potion Was Soy Sauce" has there be a source of soy sauce available but unused, and the MC is a genuine domestic goddess, but it still fails since there are several Japanese staple foods there no one is eating, and no one ever experimented with the "losing potions", which are all cooking ingredients, beside just drinking them.
    turns out that those potions were added to the monster drops by a god as a reward for an isekaied hero since he wanted his home food, but it did not exist there, which kind of makes them being discarded worse since one would expect a hero to be documented, and if he was after those "lose potions" it would be noted and asked why.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  15. Fuwafuwakid

Fuwafuwakid [HIGH-CLASS POTATO] [BAMBOO MUNCHER]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well atleast its not some obvious racism and extreme nationalism :blobpats::blobpats:
    (don't roast me cuz roasting panda are illegal:notlikeblob::notlikeblob:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.