Discussion The 35th Antimagic Test Platoon Ending

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jan 27, 2017.

1. marine1corps

marine1corps Invisible to all Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    I have, for the longest of time, wanted to make this discussion on Novel Updates. This novel is a very highly under rated novel that needs more recognition. This post acts as both a discussion about the ending of The 35th and a promotion at the same time. I was waiting for the "True Epilogue" before I made this post. I can understand why it didn't get a lot of recognition because of the following:

1. The shitty anime adaptation that was even worse then other light novel adaptation.
    2. The time when the volumes were removed temporarily because of DMCA.
    3. Introduction of this novel when the popularity of Battle School Fantasy was waning.

Don't let the fact that it is School Battle Fantasy stop you from reading this, it is so much more than that. It had a much more coherent story line, A much darker undertone, and more dynamic heroines then most Battle School novels I have read in the many years I have been reading light novels.

That doesn't mean that it was the most perfect series I have ever read. There are flaws in the story especially with the few intro novels and the last few concluding novels for different reasons. I won't go into detail because it is going to be quite obvious as you read. But besides that it was overall a really good series that needs to be read at least once.

Do read if you like the following:

1. Heroines who grow out of their stereotype into something new.
    2. A Main Character who isn't overpowered or overly Dense
    3. An interesting world where magic(not overpowered) and Modern technology coexist
    4. Semi-Dark story line where death is a normal occurrence (except The main cast)

Well to be honest I didn't like the ending very much. It was open ended and at the same time it was not. It was nice to see lapis one more time but really it wasn't harem ending like I hoped it would be. Sure the author left it like that so shippers don't go raging that their boat wasn't picked but come on. If you are going to create in depth characters who are really dependent on the MC then you better make it clear that he married all of them. None of that he married one and had mistresses on the side.

In conclusion I can't wait for the author's next series because I heard, from the translator who has read it, that it has the same feeling as Antimagic.

Westeller likes this.
  2. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    The animation was a disappointment but the first Opening song is good. I can't bring myself to read this but now I'll give it a try.

Deleted member 41274 likes this.
  3. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    There are never enough harem endings.

Cupcake Ninja likes this.
  4. Xilphidae

Xilphidae ⚔Swordfish⚔

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't watch the anime for a good adaptation you watch it for the Usagi Fan service

5. markro1248

markro1248 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    True, anime is much too light and probrably they rushed the story to the point it was just shit leveled plot and fanservice (probably one of the most rushed and BSed projects of the year on my opinion). The anime has a different attitude as shown from the book to the point where it is alike but the series could be seen as similar, but different stories. The novel is underated, but it is worth the read as this series is a gold mine of a storyline with a unique plot (although you can predict some of the story).
    On a side note, the storyline was pretty neat and all, but @marine1corps the MC does get kinda OP (risky, but it is OP).
    This is probrably too long so, but oh well. Mobile screens are small~~~

6. SleeplessBanter

SleeplessBanter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That depends on the type of harem endings, if it's the open ending kind I'm pretty sure people have had enough of them. There a need for more Polygamy harem ending in my opinion. To think about it has there ever been a anime that has a Polygamy harem ending

7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    anime from LN? meh I give up long time ago except it's comedy~
    as for harem ending it's hard to make truly good one that's why I prefer if MC choice one~
    I not read till last part~ still on when he meet his teacher despite~ it give dark tone I feel it pretty light~ so I agree with semi darkone
    kinda forget about this one~ it come when I'm bored with action theme (that's why I can skim most xianxia/xuanhuan lel)so I will continue later~
    still no big hope though since it's action theme~ waiting OSO hehehe
    read to many similar theme? 19668.png I read hmm 100, vanadis, that uh a boy who disguise as girl when he is young then enter sword turnament and the likes at same time~ so kinda bored at that time

8. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    alright, i just read the wiki. I know everything about the events leading up to the epilogue, him not staying with Lapis and not becoming god or whatever and fucking up that haunted guy. But i need to know what happenes after that shit. What happenes to him and the harem members? he become ikaruga's child's daddy and shit?

9. marine1corps

Reading List:
    Link
    Basically they "Graduated" from the magic academy and started to take jobs that involve the inquisition. Their new goal is to get the magic side and none-magic side to set aside differences and become one. Who Kusanagi ends up with is in the air because of how the author ended it. He wrote like so that he married one person and had a child but didn't explicitly say who he ended up with. So it its up to the readers to decide who he ended up with. Be it that he married only one person or had mistresses on the side. Who knows.

10. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    So basically we can decide who he ends up with outselves, and any of them will be rights since it was left open like that. Okay. I liked Ikaruga, and he was already like a father to that kid she was raisin'. I only read like half of the volumes, but know that much. Anyway, at the did it hint of him having mistreses on the side or something? Did he have that sorta relationship with them prior, romantic-ish relationship, to suggest he'd do that?

11. marine1corps

Reading List:
    Link
    It didn't say anything about mistresses and such but it doesn't stop the fact he COULD have mistresses hence the open ending. Otherwise we had, in the last few volumes, them professing their love to kusanagi and him accepting those feelings in one form or another. What I found funny was at the end that they were proclaiming that she would take his virginity in public. He couldn't say yes at the timebecause he needed things to be over before he can say anything. So it is possible to have mistresses.

12. RarestProGamer

RarestProGamer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    DUDE! OMFG "The 35th Test Platoon", the ending was just disappointed as heck. I find it even worse than Nisekoi because MC finally gets married at the very last chapter and we didn't even get the name of the wife and we don't even who the heck is she? I get it that Author wanted to keep it mystery because as to not to hurt any reader's feelings so they can imagine their own ending and conclusion, but i call it load of bullshit. Reading great stories, but with disappointing ending only leaves bad taste with even more questions left to be answered, and it just ruins your whole day. You think about the ending for whole week, trying to come up with the best conclusion possible (because that is what Author wants you to do), but in the end it will be never as satisfying as reading from the novel's own creator's point of view.

-Why make a story in the first place if you left the most important conclusion to the readers to decide? or are you embarrassed that you can't give us harem ending because it is impossible in real life that is why you went with the stereotypical ending, then why the hell make a harem story to begin with? Just give us one female lead and one male lead with a simple monogamy ending. It only feels like author is trolling with you, playing with your feelings and how author teases you in the final chapters as MC of the story finally decides "that he knows with whom he will go out with", but in the end it was never revealed except for the fact that he got a wife and a kid in the last chapter, but who became the WIFE FROM HIS HAREM? No one knows. Hell, I would rather have an ending where MC is running on the beach while all his girls are chasing after him, then credits rolls over something like this. Damn, i just ended up writing a huge rant, lol but this is the level of salty and resentment i felt when i read the ending. My logic is don't make harem story if you can't make a harem ending! Its called harem genre for fuck sakes.

13. RarestProGamer

Reading List:
    Link
    I have read countless harems; more than I could count and more than I could remember. The one thing that baffles me the most is the fact that I can count the number of series that have true harem endings on two hands. What I will never understand is why the harem genre is over saturated with open-ended endings and one girl endings. The whole premise of the genre is 3 or more people falling in love with the same person. Does it not make more sense to end it the way that it began?

14. RarestProGamer

Reading List:
    Link
    -There are only two anime that has harem ending that i know of Tenchi Moyou! GXP and fruit of grisaia.