Novel The Black Bazaar Blues

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by JustHANOPLZ, Nov 23, 2018.

1. JustHANOPLZ

JustHANOPLZ Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Synopsis- The Black Bazaar, the largest trade ship around houses millions of merchants and workers. This ship also has a thriving black market. Working in this tangled underground market are Berry, Jess, and Rena. The three form an unlikely alliance hustling, scamming and shooting just to make ends meet.

Genre - Action, Adventure, Sci-fi

Chapter 1 - Meet And Greet
    Chapter 2 - Out Of Hand
    Chapter 3 - Loose Lips Sink Ships

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  2. Haters gonna Hate

Haters gonna Hate Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't read what you wrote while not taking a glimpse to your magnificent profile pic!

3. JustHANOPLZ

JustHANOPLZ Member

Reading List:
    Link
    “Do I get to do my thing Berry? Do I ?! Do I ?!” “No, you just keep your mouth shut and unlock the gun when it’s time.” The two cloaked figures waited across the street from the apartment complex. The storm that was brewing before became nothing more than a sprinkle now. Berry took off his hood and made a mental note of the surrounding area before making his way towards the beat-up building. "This is why I like Aquarius 1. These rundown streets and alleyways make a great plan B if things go south." "Time to fight?" The other figure reached for her hood, but Berry signaled her to stop. "Keep it on, better if they only know my face."

Berry looked to be in his 30's. His slick back black hair and trimmed stubble showed he cared about his appearance. He wore a hooded cloak around his shoulders that helped hide his distrustful bulletproof vest. Armed with two pistols, he was ready for the deal to go wrong. His accomplice openly carried a bullpup rifle, wearing a similar cloak. She didn't measure up to Berry in size, being a bit small height-wise and a lot smaller muscle wise.

They enter the apartments and make their way past the desk to the elevator. The women behind the desk watches as the armed pair enter the elevator but decides not to get involved. Once inside, Berry lets his partner click the number 9 and the elevator shakes before beginning its ascent. "This place smells like YUCKY! Ahaha." "It smells like poverty if you ask me." The lift had a broken air unit that only let out a burst of wind when the doors open. They exit and go up the stairs to the roof. Before they open the door, Berry looks over to his partner and reinstates, "Don't do anything more than what's necessary. Let me do the talking and everything will go well." She shakes her head in agreeance.

"You're late," the bald man exclaimed. He and his crew of 3 others looked impatient. "We had to scope out the place and make sure you weren't playing us for fools." Berry made his way to the middle of the roof, leaving his sidekick's side. "We huh? I didn't hear about a WE when WE made the arrangement." None of them moved towards Berry, suspicious of the extra weight he had brought along. "Calm down Karlos. They're with me so you know they're good," Berry explained, but they weren't loosening up. "Fine, to tell you the truth, I brought them along because they have the key. Come on out here and do your thing."

The opposition had good reason to be scared. The two gave off a certain presence on that roof. Although no one could see it, she was smiling through her hood. The way she carried the gun and herself could be described as familiar. And Berry’s speech was calm and collective. [Those two… they’ve done this before,] Karlos thought.

She made her way to Berry, who watched her hoping she wouldn't mess everything up. Everyone attention was on her as she held the gun up high. She spun the gun until its fingerprint scanner was facing her. Pulling her hood partly back, along with her long purple hair, she began to slowly lick the handle of the rifle. The audience uncomfortably looked on as she seductively licked the gun. [On with it already... they aren’t paying for some smutty show.] Berry was thinking, as her tongue finally made contact with the scanner. The blue started to flash green and the buyer seemed pleased with the result.

Karlos sent over his lackey who carried the suitcase. [Hm, this guy has two cybernetic legs.] Berry could hear it as he came closer, making a mental note of it. On the way, he opened it and flashed the cash for them to see. [50,000 thousand, just like that. If only all our customers were this dumb.] Berry took the gun and begun the exchange [180, 179, 178] he counted in his head. As soon as the goods had switched hands the wind started to pick up before climaxing at an enormous amount. From the side of the building, a small grey hoverbike rose up, the raging winds coming from the vehicle's propellers . Before either side could react, it launched two capsules onto the roof. Berry analyzed the situation to come up with his next move. [They got on visors. These must be flashes.] Berry covered his eyes and the flashes covered the rider as she swooped in and grab the gun from the dazed thugs. Berry made his way towards the door, grabbing his partner along the way.

"Should I do it now?" The two made their way down the stairs and into the hallway of the complex. Berry didn't know what to do. [They are going to come for the money and if I don't do something quick, it'll end in a bloodbath.] "No, you just take the elevator and remain calm." "BUT," "Go back to the Bazaar. I'll meet you there." Berry clicked the elevator button before running back to the staircase and making his way down. He could now hear Karlos men flood into the staircase. Worrying that he'd be in their line of sight, he jumped between the railing of the stairs, dropping fast before grabbing the bars on a lower floor. His cloak fell off, revealing his metal right arm that he used to hold on. [Well, if my arm can withstand it, might as well continue this way.] Dropping again, it wasn't but one floor left, so instead of what was planned, he instead went groins first into the rails. He made it off the ground and onto his feet, shaking in pain. [I got to keep going, no time to stand around.] He ran through the lobby, the desk lady now picking up the phone to alert authorities. “They won’t come,” he informs her on his way out. [I wonder if Rena is safe.]

Rena stood on the 9th floor, waiting for the elevator. Gunfire could be heard outside, but she couldn't tell if it was from Aquarius 1 residents or their on-going battle. *DING* The doors opens with a burst of air, blowing off Rena's hood. The couple inside held onto each other, scared from the gunshots. Now face to face with the beautiful Rena, who long purple hair blew with the breeze. An overjoyed smile race across her young face, “Don’t be scared. Gunshots are fun!”

The sun was barely peeking through the clouds. Berry looked up at it, taking in the beauty of Aquarius 1’s sky. Now looking around the streets, his eyes were greeted with a vivid display of poverty. [Aquarius 1’s sky will never match the beauty of its city,] Berry thought sarcastically, finally spotting an escape route. He ran towards the alley, but before he could turn down it, he heard the sound of something heavy landing. [It’s the guy with the metal legs.] He waited the few seconds he could spare before quickly turning the corner. He was met with thugs heavy leg against his cybernetic arm. [Knew it.] Berry couldn’t let this engagement take too long, risking getting ganged up on. Berry hopped back after throwing the guys leg off him. In an instant, he managed to pull out the M1911 from his waist. The emerging sun reflected off its silver coat.

“Woah there. Let calm down now. Let me just slide past and as an act of respect, from one vet to another, I leave you with all your blood.” Berry circle the man from a distance, but before he was safely on the other side, the man sprung forward, reaching for the briefcase. “Show some respect by fighting fairly!” But Berry decided against it. He let off his handgun, leaving two bullets in the shoulder of the thug. The streets seem to go quiet after that. Berry ran towards the end of the alley, hearing the murmur of a dysfunctional vehicle up ahead.

There in the parking lot was the hoverbike of the mysterious thief. She was half working on its propellers and half looking out for anyone when she spotted Berry. She pulled out the stolen gun, ready to fire. [9,8.] Berry ducked behind the cover of a rusted car as she let off some rounds. The gunfire was attentionally off point, just a few rounds to keep Berry at bay while she started to make her getaway on foot. Berry took a glimpse at her as she ran away. [Blue braided hair, visors, leather jacket, tight jeans. I’m getting Aquarius runway vibes from her. If her chest was a bit bigger, I could see her being my next mistake.] Berry stopped to pick up a small card from off the bike. “Really now?” interest peaked, he now decided to pursue her instead.

Berry weaved through oncoming traffic to follow the athletic thief. It wasn’t before long that a car intentionally swerved to hit him, laying him out on the ground behind it. Berry wakes up from the quick blackout, unaware of his current situation. He reaches for his gun, but can’t find it. To his surprise, it had only been a few seconds since the accident. Berry grabs the suitcase, but as he went to get up, he was face to face with Karlos.

“Karlos listen, this looks bad, but it wasn’t a setup. I don’t know who that girl is, but she swiped it from your hands. It’s only right that I keep my share.” Karlos kick him to the ground, spitting on him in the process. “You wanna play me as a fool huh?” Karlos's goon grabbed Berry’s M1911 from the ground and aimed it at his head. Berry smirk, getting cocky. “Karlos, don’t your men know better? All guns are locked by the New Universal Authority, Only to be unlocked by their rightful owners.” He pulled the trigger, but it wouldn’t budge. Berry swiftly open the case, throwing the money in the air. “Shit! Forget him, grab the money!” People started to exit their cars just for a chance of grabbing some cash. “I’ll be taking this,” he said, grabbing his gun from the crook. Berry took a motor-bike from a pedestrian who had left it on the ground, trying his best to catch up to the thief.

On bike, the streets were easier to navigate. He zipped through the streets, dodging cars and running lights, finally reaching the barren lot at the edge of the city. There stood a spaceship, longer than the city itself. Shaped like a boat, it was metallic black with a dark glass dome near the middle of the ship. It extended a ramp from its back-end that allowed boarding. Berry rode alongside the massive starboard of the ship, seeing the blue-haired lady in the distance. The unsettled mud of the lot didn’t allow Berry to catch up, until the end of the aircraft, where she searched her pockets for something. Berry got the jump on her as she was talking to the guards.

“This is really the Black Bazaar huh.” “Yep, where you can find anything, that is if you have enough. What are you looking for,” Berry chimed in. “A fresh start I suppose,” she answers as she turned around, finally noticing who had asked her the question.

“My gun please.” She didn’t listen, instead pointing it right at his heart. The guard stood in a full suit of armor, gun to his side, he announced. “Settle all disputes outside, or the court will take care of it,” He said Ominously. “oR tHE CoUrT WILl TAke caRE Of It” Berry joined in, mocking the guard. “We know, heard it a thousand times, so we’re settling it.” “Get back punk, no fighting at the Bazaar.” “Yea, that’s only inside.” “Then I’ll shoot.” “You can’t.” “You don’t think I have the guts?” She didn’t hesitate to pull the trigger. Too much of her surprise, nothing happened.

“It’s locked by the NUA.” Berry snatched the gun from her hands. “But you guys unlocked it…” “Yea, but it doesn’t stay unlocked.” She was taken aback, realizing that she got duped. “It was a scam?” “Of course, we’d be rich if we could unlock whatever guns we wanted. We’re barely out here making a living.” Anger swept over the girl, “YOU OWE ME SO MUCH. I BROKE MY BIKE TRYING TO GET THIS AND I USED IT’S EMERGENCY FLASHES,” she yelled, not happy to be scammed. “YEA WELL GET ME THE 50,000 DOLLARS I LOST BECAUSE OF YOU AND MAYBE I’LL THINK ABOUT IT!.” “What are you on about, I can’t afford that! I spent all my money just to get on this ship and I can’t even do that now.”

Berry smiled, happy to have the upper hand. “Looking for this?”

Berry pulled out her Black Bazaar spending card that seconded as an ID. “Hey give me that!” “You left it on your bike and I found it. You know what they say in Aquarius 1, ‘finders keepers’.” “I lived here all my life, they don’t say that.” “Jessica Fisher huh? 21, just my age range.” “Pass it up, you bag of bones, it all I have left.” Berry, feeling insulted, handed it to her. She tried to snatch it, but his metal hand held on tight. “Let go of it will ya’.” With her now pulling full force, he let go sending her flying into the wet sand. “I pity the poor soul who has to deal with your disrespectful ass. I’M 30!” Berry walked past the guard, “ Settle all disputes outside or the...” “Shut up,” Berry interrupted, the girl now under his skin. Jessica flashed her ID and followed behind him, ready to give him a piece of her mind.

Before they could spark up another argument, Berry spotted Rena, who managed to get close behind them before they could notice. “Good job Rena, you made it back. Now even if those thugs show back up they can’t hurt us.” Rena looked rather sinister at the moment, holding something behind her back. The guards watched her with weapons drawn, not sure what to make of the situation. The guard repeated his usual phrase in the background. A worried look rushed over Berry's face. “Hurt us? We never need to worry about that again.” Rena face changed from the devilish look she had to a much more innocent smile. “Because I hurt them real bad!” Jessica hid behind Berry as Rena flashed Karlos dismembered head to the disgusted onlookers.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  4. JustHANOPLZ

JustHANOPLZ Member

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL you got first comment before I posted the chapter, well played. Like ya name too.

5. JustHANOPLZ

JustHANOPLZ Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ♪ The song gets older as the singer gets new.

The women get colder so the men catch the blues

And so the glasses get longer as the drinks get stronger

You might just drink your self into a coma, ‘cuz the

Times were rough just as the times begin, and the

Time stops, for plenty of men

I had my time stop on me and I asked myself why

I guess the time plays for the other guy, and it goes ♪

The song pranced through the air and into the ears of that evening’s bar flies. Smoke filled the rest of the air but did not bother the alluring and seductive singer. Her red dress bent perfectly around her curves, matching her red hair and lipstick. She paced around the stage slowly, moving through the cloudy room as the sax followed her voice. Her voice faded, letting the sax take over the song. All eyes were still on the woman, who bent down to one of her fans at the end of the stage.

“It’s a jazz song.”

“It usually is.”

“So it’s a jazz song, about the blues?”

“Is that what’s giving you the blues, Honey?”

Berry smiled like a child in a candy store. She kissed him on the cheek before rising back up to finish the song.

_____________________________________________________________________________

“That’s how it is when ya’ working for the Ward. One day ya’ picking up trash and sweeping. The next day ya’ at a computer. Ya sit there all day, pressing the same two buttons, just; click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click. Ya young, so it don’t get to ya the same, for me, I’m 66 years old. I been on the Bazaar 40 years of my life. That clicking, just click click click. It’ll get to ya. But it better than getting kicked out ya know? That's why it better to get a job youngster. You gotta make those monthly passage payments or you’ll be working the Ward. That’s the scam though youngster. They get you working the Ward young and ya get use to it. Ya start thinking ‘I don’t need a job, I’ll take the penalty, do my time for the Ward, once I’m off for the month, I’ll enjoy the extra cash they give me and go back next month.’ They give us the extra cash to live off, ya need a job. Ya work that job, pay next month payment and ya out the loop. No more click, click, click ya know? It gets to ya, just click click click click…”

“OH MY FUCKING GOD, SHUT UP! Someone shoot me please!” Jess jumped up from the bench screaming. The guards nearby made their way over to the distressed Jess. “You won’t be shot on the Bazaar. Keep up the shouting and you’ll be working in the Ward.” Jess ignored the possible consequences, yelling back, “Screw it, I’d rather work the Ward than listen to this nut!”

Berry exited the Loose Lips bar. He was greeted to Jess, who was currently in a yelling match with 3 guards. “Oh boy.” He made his way over, deciding to rescue her from the situation. [ Favors are a form of currency around here.] “Listen brat, watch your tone when you’re on the Bazaar or the court will handle things…” “Yea, yea the court will handle it, we got it. Sorry about that officers, my sister just got back from the ward. She’s just a little stressed out.” Berry wrapped his arm around Jess, trying to seem friendly. Jess essentially growled at him in response. “You see, she sent me a text saying some creep was following her and she just didn’t have the patience today.” The guards looked at the nice old man sitting calmly on the bench. “Hey, no stalking or the cour…” Berry made his escape with Jess while the guards were distracted.

“I was waiting out there for like an hour and that guy wouldn’t stop talking.”

“An hour huh? That long.” The pair made their way through the sea of people.

“What do you do in there anyway? You don’t smell like alcohol.”

“You know what they say on Aries 3, ‘GFB’.”

“GFB?”

“Grown folk business.”

“I’ve never been to Aries, but I’m sure they don’t say that. I’m 21 anyways, I’m grown enough.”

“If you’re that grown, why didn’t you just come inside and get me.”

“I’m not stepping into some sort of slut bar.”

“You’re right… It’s probably Leo 5 where they say it..”

[I already know where this is going. I’ll let her know she owes me one and if she has any pride, she’ll probably drop it til she pays me back.]

Berry sat at a table next to the gigantic fountain. Jess joined him after catching back up, getting caught up in the crowd. They were surrounded by people, all in too much of a hurry to ever notice them. Those people were the resident of the Black Bazaar. Their destination was unknown to everyone but themselves and to guess where would be impossible. The Bazaar houses thousands of stores and businesses that ranged from the simple food vendor to cybernetic doctors. Even under the harsh watch of the Court, there was a thriving black market. The Black Bazaar is a place where you could find anything, for the right price.

“Let's make this quick, Jessica.”

“I told you, call me Jess.”

“So far, in the two months I’ve known you, you’ve lost me $50,000 and made me risk my residency for you.” Jess could care less. She been asking for the same thing this whole time and could not lose focus.

“Let me have her.”

“No Jess. You owe me big time.”

“Just one task, that’s all. I have it all planned out. It’s easy, It’s just the fact that I don’t have a gun. With Rena…”

“She doesn’t work how you think.”

“How so? I’ve used a gun she unlocked once before. It can work.”

“I meant her, not her ability.”

Above them, a drone had come into view. It held a cup filled with a brown liquid. It slowly hovered down to their table, dropping off the cup before flying off again. Berry grabbed it, removing it lid and started to down the drink. Jess watched on in envy.

“It’s coffee.”

“You just ordered that without a phone?” Berry didn’t answer, he did not want to explain his whole situation. “So you do have a bionic eye?” Berry finished off what little was left in the cup.

“How’d you get that eye?” Jess asked with no restraint.

“You know what they say on the Black Bazaar right? Don’t ask about where people been or where they’re going, okay?”

“Come on Berry, ease up. You gotta let your little Rena out the cage someday. I’ve seen what she can do. Let me use that. I can’t get my life under control here if I have to work in the Ward for half the month.” Berry looked her up and down. [She’s really a beut’. You’d never guess she’s an Aquarian, muzzle scraping, street rat. I guess that’s true for here everyone huh. You really don’t know anyone story until they tell you, but getting them to tell you is a story in of itself.]

“Have you thought of selling your own goods?” Jess covered her chest, feeling insulted and threatened by the suggestion.

“My goods?”

“Not that, your own goods, like your hover or all that leather you usually strut around in. I don’t know, offer to fix someone’s bike or hover. You got skills, use them.”

“Yea, but I also got skills when armed. I just need to be armed.” Berry blew air out of his nose.

“Okay, I’ve had enough. I got to prepare for when we land in Pisces 2.” Jess tried to get him to stop, but the mass of people started to split them apart.

“ONLY OLD PEOPLE CALL PLANETS BY THEIR NAME AND NUMBERS,” Jess screamed, hoping to get the last words. “I’M 30,” a voice yelled back from the crowd.

Berry went to his room on the ship, small metal and cold, It was on the cheap side of housing on the ship. His unit was around $1000 before utilities and built for merchants who didn’t plan on spending much time outside their workplace. Berry’s bed was a fourth of the available space. A desk took up another half, leaving the spare room as entry for the bathroom. There was a small monument built out of unhealthy meals in and around the trash can. That wasn’t the only mess, boxes were stacked near the bathroom door. Berry could hear the shower running.

He reached for a box at the very top, grabbing it and checking the contents. The long box held 8 rifles and some spare pistols at the bottom. Closing the box, Berry shouted to Rena, “I’m leaving for Pisces 2. Don’t do anything stupid.” The water shut off and Rena replied sadly. “What about history night?” “Canceled for today, I’ll tell you a story when I get back, alright?” Rena didn’t respond. Berry took the opportunity to make his leave, heading towards the rear of the Bazaar.

It was time for the Bazaar to land and set up shop at Pisces. The Black Bazaar was pelted with rained upon breaking through the dark clouds of Pisces. The planet of Pisces is in a consistent hurricane, so the strong winds tried to rip control away from the Bazaar, but the ship was just too big to be impacted. It flew over the almost endless ocean before coming across a brightly lit glass structure. It was a series of glass domes big enough to house a city inside. They were connected by tunnels also made of glass. The whole contraption stood on multiple poles that dived deep into the water.

The Bazaar passed over the first one. Its size was just as big as the ship. The ship continued its course until they reach an even bigger structure. This was their destination. The massive dome opens one layer to give the ship an escape from the storm outside. Both the customers and the merchants grew restless after each step of the landing procedure. Finally landing, the ship opens up along its port, letting out several ramps where the merchants checked out of the ships. At the rear was another ramp for resident re-entry only. This is where Berry left from, not caring for the rules.

Berry journey only just began. He flung the box on his shoulder and made his way through the market that was being set up. Buyers and traders both gathered in the huge field, starting to make deals before their stands were even up. Berry watched as Pisceans went to the other side of the ship to board, wanting to get their shopping done inside rather than waiting for the outside to be complete. Two suspicious men followed Berry to the junction between the two domes, staying very far back as to not tip him off.

“I need to get to Cloud 9 sir.” Berry was very soft spoken amongst the chaos. The clump of people screamed at the few workers, trying to get their attention before everyone else. They turned their wheels as quickly as they could, letting the passengers jump into the tube before closing them back up. Berry patients paid off when one of the female workers picked him out from the crowd.

“CLOUD 9 WAS IT?” “No need, It seems I’m already there.” Berry winked, making her smile. “OK STUD, I’M GOING TO HAVE TO SEARCH YOU…” Berry was taken aback for a second. He didn’t suspect to be checked here. “FULL BODY SEARCH IF YOU DON’T MIND.” He smiled back, now understanding it was a joke. He came over to the tube and pulled out his wallet. He gave her a $100 bill and waved off her request not to tip that much. She twisted the wheel, changing the direction of the tube underneath him until it locked in place. She warned him that they will actually be searching him on the other side before sending him off. Berry fell into the tube, holding on tight to the box he brought with him. He was now surrounded by the rough ocean, he watched other travelers as they also were being shot through the other pipes.

Now at Cloud 9, box in hand and plot in mind, Berry collected himself. He needed to be ready to sell lies and ready he was. Amidst the unprepared guards who struggled to keep the new guests in line, Berry found who he was looking for. The man walked up to Berry and went in for a hug. “Berry, ya’ fine bastard! You actually came and I actually found ya! The chances!” “Gary take this box and let's go.” “From vet to criminal huh? Lets hit the pub then!” The two made their way past security, almost getting through. The guard grabbed Berry by his shoulder. “Hold it. We need to check that box and give you a search.” “Hey man, I was just searched. Don’t you guys have enough ass to grab without searching everyone twice.” The guard looked obviously uncomfortable and confused by the whole situation. “Well, it’s your lucky day. Stand still for me.”

Berry was patted down. They found nothing on him noteworthy enough to stop him for. His guns had NUA scanners and his Black Bazaar ID was valid. “Okay, what's in the box.” Before Berry could cough up a lie, Gary chimed in, “It's my box there buddy and I’m a citizen. I just came to pick up my ol’ drinking pal so we can get the glasses clanking.” “So why bring a box. Here let me check.” “OH COME ON BUD! It’s an inside joke. You see you hold it like this and tell em’ ‘Reach inside bugger, I got a present inside for ya.’” Gary held the long box near his crotch, waving it around and loudly snorting. “Ha… Okay just don’t get too drunk and cause any trouble. The cameras are always watching.” “I’ll make sure a few are in your name bud. What was it again?” “It’s Stan but…” Before he could finish the two was already making their way out the traveling dome and into the city.

“So whatcha got here, it’s heavy as shit.”

“It’s a gift. I’ll show you when we get to your shop.”

“So ya skipping the pub huh?” Berry turned to Gary in the middle of the sidewalk, halting their march. He scanned the area, taking in the utopia-like city. The buildings were all white and shined brightly, even without the sun showing. The roads were filled with Old-Era cars that drove in unison. They were self-driving and on wheels. They drove like any normal hovercraft road, showing that a street without human error can be more efficient than flying vehicles.

“What’s going on Gary? When did you become like Old-Era British,” Berry asked, referring to his accent.

“It’s Scottish actually. With all the drinking I do, I might as well be Scottish.”

“Sorry, but Old-Era jokes go right over my head.”

“It’s really because it makes customers see me as more charming. And the lady aren’t as not fond of it as you’d think.”

“It’s always for the customers huh.”

“Ya goddamn right it is…” The pair continued to down the street, making their way to Gary shop. The hooded men followed them, standing out like sore thumbs in this bright white city.

Gary came back from behind the counter and sat up front with Berry. Gary has short ginger hair and an unkempt beard. Although Berry was fit, Gary weight and height made Berry look small when compared. Gary poured them a glass of something only an alcoholic would drink. Berry pushed the drink back towards Gary, who didn’t mind drinking them both.

“So what are you doing coming to Cloud 9?”

“What’s wrong with visiting a friend?”

“Cloud 9 is dangerous for criminals, that’s all.”

“You seem to be doing fine.”

“I think you like the danger. I know I do.” Gary had lost the Scottish ascent by now, talking normally.

“Nothing wrong with danger.”

“Sure ain’t. I see you’re all patched up.”

“Yea, The NUA paid for the surgery. Perks of being a vet I guess.” Berry stalled for a second, not wanting to bring her up, but it was where the conversation was leading.

“You’ve seen Victoria at all?”

“Yea, actually, she’s started singing again. Heard she travels between Aquarius and Capricorn.”

“So she’s doing alright?” Gary shook his head. He drank as much of his drink as he could in one go.

“Not at all. She’s fucking nuts. She still looking for that prick. Believes ever lie he ever told her.”

“So I should probably just stay away huh?” Berry reached for the second cup, deciding to drink some with Gary. Gary filled his back up.

“It’s probably for the best. It just her way of coping with it. She knows the truth, it just hard to admit.”

“Yea.” The two sat there silently drinking for a while. Berry wanted to be a bit tipsy for the next part. He hated sappy moments.

“Hey guess what’s in the box.”

“Knowing you… I’d say a stash of guns.”

“You know me well.” Berry emptied the guns onto the floor. It was about 12 in total.

“What the fuck Berry. You’re into some shit aren’t you.”

“Knees deep actually. But this doesn’t involve that too much.” Berry pulls out his pistol along with two suppressors.

“I actually need your help. I was being followed. They want these guns and they’ll probably be here soon.”

“Why would they want NUA guns. They can’t do anything with proper registrations.”

“Actually they aren’t NUA.” Gary looked at the guns in a completely different way now.

“No shit? Where the hell you find Non-NUA guns?”

“Some factory. What ammo type does this pistol use.” Berry started twisting a suppressor onto one of the unsanctioned pistols.

“If that’s a model of the Mark 23, it would use .45 rounds, ACP.”

“Go fetch some, quick. I’m going to need your help here.”

Gary returned from the back with the rounds. Berry had already cleaned up the mess from off the ground. Berry made his way over to the front counter and handed the unregistered pistol to Gary, who loaded it as quickly as possible. “Why the hell even leave the Bazaar if you got goons after you.” “I had to get these to you somehow.” “To me? Why? I can’t buy these off you, these things are worth more money than I’ve probably ever seen in my life” “Yea, so sell one so you live that vision. They are a gift.” Gary was overwhelmed by shock but didn’t have to time to celebrate. The two hooded men walked through the door, trying to hide their weapons. Gary's eyes started to water. “Man, don’t get all emotional now, come on.”

“Hey, you.” The hooded man barked. “It’s just. This is literally life-changing. Thank you so much.” “Don’t do that. You deserve it for all the shit you went through for us.” “You listening?” “Now man up. We got shit to do. You alright?” Berry winked as he said it. “Yea, I’m alright, but your eye… Are you alright?” “What? No, you’re alright.” “Me? OH, alright huh. So just making sure I’m alright… right?” “Yea…” “Okay, I’m alright then.” “Turn around and listen Punk!” “That means you’re the only one left!” Berry spun around, and with a quickness that not even Gary was prepared for, Berry drew and shot the thug in his chest several times. The other thug panicked, “Shit!” [He has a real gun?! And it’s already unlocked?! This was supposed to be a simple robbery, guess I’ll make it a murder then.] The thug pulled out his shotgun and pulled the trigger, but nothing happened. The thugs gun was locked. He struggled to put his fingerprint on the scanner of the gun, so before he could, Gary finished the job.

“Woah there cowboy, that was quick. You could have warned me. I was just coming around to understanding your hint about shooting the guy on the right.”

“Yea, guess I don’t know my own speed.” Berry looked down at his hand in a way that puzzled Gary. “Okay Gary, get out of here I’ll g-”

“No Berry, you go. I got this.”

“I don’t wan-”

“What are you going to do? Carry them out the back into a camera? I’ll just grab my shit and go to Aqua or something. Do a little hiding while they’re still looking for me. Maybe outside. Hide in the highlands.”

“Sorry, Gary… I didn’t mean to cause you this much trouble.”

“Man up already. Better get to running before the footage sweep rolls through, I know I am.” The two split up from there. Berry made it back to the Bazaar. He sulked on his way to his room, knowing there’s no way Gary would get out, at least not with those guns. “Maybe he’ll actually make it to some highland out there.”

Berry slumped on his bed, getting the jitters. His arm aching in pain, but he was resisting for now. He looked over at the desk, where Rena trash was still piled up. [She didn’t take out her trash. What the hell did she do today?] Berry walked over to the desk and found a note. When he read it, the pains slipped away and anxiety swept over him. “No… Okay, it’s actually… her death. I warned her. It’s not on my conscience.” Berry tossed the note on the pile of garbage and started to pace around. The note read, ‘Went To Make History With Blue Hair’.

6. JustHANOPLZ

JustHANOPLZ Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Only a chair and a man occupied the massive room. It was dim, only lit by the flashing red light of the broken alarm system. The man was not panicked, he sat tied up and gagged but knew someone would be there for him shortly.

One of the backrooms of the Loose Lips was dimly lit red. It became filled with smoke, as the rooms usually do. Sable, now dressed, headed towards the door. "You know I hate cigarettes Berry." "Yea, it's fine. You can go. Send in Yellow would yah?"

Berry enjoyed the cigarette, now relaxed and no longer in throbbing pain. The door opened and Dawn walked in. She was shorter than the other girls and had bright blonde hair. Berry put out the cigarette and sat up on the bed. Dawn sat next to him wrapping her arms around him.

"Ducky," Berry whispered.
    "I thought I told you not to call me that. Are you being bad on purpose?"
    "This is no time to play around Ducky," Berry got up, letting Dawn slide onto the bed. "I think I just got an innocent girl killed." Berry started to pace around the room.
    Dawn sat up and frustratedly blew her hair out of her face. She took a moment in the mirror to fix her hair and her attitude.

"Okay Berry, what did you get into this time."
    "I told her not to get involved with purple hair but blue hair didn't listen."
    "Are we talking about Loose Lips ladies?"
    "No Yellow. I'm talking about my purple and blue hair. I told her Rena was dangerous, but she took her on some mission anyways."
    "You're saying blue hair like I know who that is. Come, sit Berry, relax, I'll give you a massage and you can start from the top. "
    "Fine. There's some new Aquarian girl on the Bazaar. She owes me for some favors. I told her to leave Rena alone. She snuck off with Rena to go do some mission and she doesn't know how dangerous Rena is."
    "So you care about this girl and you don't want her to die."
    "No, she just owes me favors... She owes me $50,000 dollars Ducky, I need her alive."
    "Uhm. If you want my opinion you're going to have to start from the top, like how you met."
    "It was on Aquarius of course she was-"
    "Not her Berry. We do these talks all the time but I still know nothing about your 'house pet' Rena. Let's start from the beginning, inform me how this situation started." Berry sighed.
    "It was here on Pisces 2, In the highlands."

[Damn this rain is unbearable. The highlands were the last place I wanted to be. I take that back, this is way better than the Ward and all that mundane work.]

The highlands were the outside of Pisces glass cities. They are the mountain tops that refused to drown in the sea. Due to the constant storm, the highlands are absent of civilization. This is where people who don’t want to be found hide.

Jess was unprepared in the rain, wearing a winter coat to cover her until they reach the factory. Rena wore a skin-tight white and gray suit. She didn't seem bothered by the dangerous winds and rain that pelted the two. Jess struggled to walk in the ran while Rena ran ahead to scout. Jess caught up to Rena who sat on the top of a hill. Down below was the abandoned factory where their target was being held.

"I don't know Blue, I think there's a lot of people in there."
    "HUH!? HOW DO YOU KNOW?"
    "Just instincts, but I always trust my gut because I feed it so well. I think I should just shoot up the place, it's not worth sneaking in."
    "HUH?! I CAN'T HEAR YOU, LETS TALK WHEN WE SNEAK INSIDE. IF WE'RE ON THE BACKSIDE IT SHOULD BE THAT DOOR BY THE LOADING DOCK."
    Rena moved her lips, imitating words. "HUH?! I CAN'T HEAR YOU RENA, LETS MOVE." Rena laughs and slides down the hill towards the destination.

Dawn sat crossed legged on the bed while Berry sat on the ground getting his temple massaged. Berry continued his story,
    "After taking her in I kept this book on her. I'm sure she'll outlive me, so this is for the next caretaker or anyone who will need to ‘take care’ of her.. I don't let her off the Bazaar with anyone unless they've read this first." Berry flashes the tiny journal.
    "Here, let me see," Dawn snatch the book from him.
    "What, no. If you're lucky you'll never have to meet her, let alone fight her."
    "But that's only if I'm lucky, plus you'll never open up to anyone else about this. Someone else on this ship should know what to do when that ticking time bomb goes off." Dawn skimmed the pages.
    "These notes look detailed, you even drew pictures for some. Hmm, 'Doesn't respond well once aggravated'. Summarize this part for me. "
    "It's right there. She goes in a rage once things start popping off. She only stops when she decides she's done."
    "That extremely dangerous for the whole Bazaar!"
    "No, this is the best place for her. She’s like a kid, that means she understands rules and really just want to have fun."
    "But still, you said she's like super-human right? What if someone steps on her shoe or something stupid."
    "she'll laugh it off, she loves it around here."

"Rena wait! How did we end up like this!" Jess chased after Rena, slamming through doors as fast as she could. She was seconds behind, but from the condition of the rooms she passed, it appeared Rena had a complete gunfight in each. Soldiers dead bodies laid in each room, sometimes even more than one. [What kind of monster is she?]

"Exactly what is free flow?" Dawn now nervously paced the room, reading from the journal.
    "Just something I made up to describe her fighting style. She explained it as having every fight ever, recorded in her brain. I don't know how accurate that is but it holds true. The last thing you want to do is have a fist fight with her. She knows the best option for every swing. She's lighter and faster than you already so she can retaliate with moves not normally available. But even if you make a good choice that doesn't put you in a lost position immediately, she'll back you into a situation where you'll have to throw out a losing punch."

Jess watched as Rena fought off a soldier. [She's so nimble. He clearly knows how to fight, but he just can't hit her. I think I'd be helping the soldier if I jumped in.] More soldiers rushed into the room. Jess ducked into the hallway. [This isn't good, Rena never gave me an unlocked gun.] The soldiers decided to rush Rena as to not shoot their friend. She grabbed the knife from one, jamming it into the previous soldier's neck. The other soldier gets scared and decides to fire at them. The bullets riddled his ally. Rena jumps from behind their corpses and used one of the dead soldier's guns to fire back.

“SHE IMMORTAL?!”
    “It doesn’t say that”
    “‘Extremely noticeable regeneration’, ‘Unnatural talent of outrunning bullets’. In this galaxy that’s immortality.”
    “She’s a bit too quick to shoot. That’s why you have to aim where she’s going to be. The only time I have seen her shot was back at Pisces 2. She was hit in the arm by a sniper rifle. She screamed, but that didn’t stop her from hunting the guy down. When I saw her again, she seemed to be fine.”
    “So she’s an aggressive, rampaging, nigh-unkillable monster that you keep on the ship. Now she’s out there with some poor girl that we know she won’t listen to?”
    “And it’s all my fault. I should’ve been more straightforward. Told her everything.”
    “You’re not to blame Berry. She sounds careless. The best way those type of people learn is the hard way.”
    “Sure.”
    “In situations like this, a caring person like yourself should think about the likelihood of a positive ending. It seems possible she could come back alive. Rena doesn’t kill you whenever she’s on a rampage right? I believe as long as she doesn’t try to force anything on Rena she’ll be fine. What was her name again?”
    “I never told you. It’s Jess.”

“About time. What are you waiting for, you’ve ungagged me, untie me now.”
    “RENA!” Jess made her to the balcony of the storage room, looking down on the two.
    “He’s the hostage Rena, put down the gun.”
    “Are you mad? Shoot me and you’ll never see a peaceful day in your miserable lives again.”

Rena pressed the gun against the back of his head. The man shook as she began to slowly drag the gun around to the front of his head. Jess pointed her newly scavenged gun at the disobedient Rena.

“Stop. Put down the gun or I shoot.”
    “Did you draw a gun… on me?” Her voice had lost its peppiness.
    “I’ll seriously do it.”
    “Look around you blue hair. The room is filled with the corpses of people who drew on me not too long ago.”
    “Well, until I’m one of them I’m not backing down. He leaves here alive.”
    “You’re brave.” Rena shot, painting more of the dim red room a darker shade. “But you’re playing a bluff you can’t win. That gun is locked.” Jess fell to her knee in dismay. With the hope of a reward lost, Jess grabbed a dead soldier’s coat and headed for the door. Rena caught up to her and spun her around with a smile on her face. She gave Jess a hug. “Thank you so much! This was so fun, I thought today was going to suck because Berry had to miss history day. I’m so glad you came along blue hair. But don’t ever pull a gun on me again.” Rena voiced regained its pep, until that last sentence.

“Okay Berry, now that I helped you through your problem, can you answer a question for me?”
    “Sure“
    “Why do you do this?”
    “What do you mean.”
    “You rent my time just to talk. Don’t you have any other friends who’d listen to you for free? “
    “I like a cute face while I talk.” Dawn got up from the bed, frustrated and walked towards the door.
    “If you’re not being serious, I’ll be on my way.”
    “Why are you here Dawn?”
    “Hm?”
    “You don’t belong somewhere like this. You deserve your own office down on Pisces with a degree on the wall and a loving family. You’re not like Red or the others, you’re the best therapist I’ve ever talked to and I’ve seen a lot since the war.”
    “Um, thanks I guess.” Dawn was flustered.
    “Dawn you’re too smart for this. So why are you stuck here at some smutty bar?”
    “I don’t know… The stage, the applaud, the sex, the attention. Is it that out the ordinary for a girl to like it?”
    “You like it?” Dawn blushed.
    “You like it too idiot! Do you actually believe that we’d work here if we didn’t enjoy it? There are thousands of places to work on this ship. Red hates it’s the most, she just makes too much to ever quit.”
    “Oh, okay. I never thought of that as an option. Here then, I know time is money.” Berry gave her a handful of bills from his pocket.
    “You know you pay at the counter, this is way too much.”
    “It’s a tip. And for keeping this a secret.” Berry made his way past her.
    “You’re terrible with money, Berry.”

Berry waited near the back entrance where he knew the two of them would be boarding. The day was coming to an end, the shops were closing and customers were heading back to their cities. Jess, accompanied by Rena, made their way to boarding line. Berry stopped them before they could get in line. Jess didn’t see him make his way towards them, her head was pointed at the ground while she dragged her feet. “Rena, Jess, you’re alright”. Rena blew him a raspberry and hopped in line. When Jess finally noticed, tears formed in her eyes. She embraced Berry and began to cry.

“Aww, did someone get their morale broken?”
    “I can’t do this anymore. I just want to go home.”
    “I warned you about Rena.”
    “It not that, it’s everything. I was supposed to be a badass mercenary that came from the gutter, but I can’t even afford a gun. I can’t go back to the Ward, but at the same time, I can’t see myself anywhere else with how things are going. Now I got MOC after me because Rena murdered one of their sons. There’s nothing left for me.”
    “And you owe me $50,000 dollars.”
    “Come on, Berry.”
    “But don’t worry about any of that anymore because I take care of my employees.”
    “Employee?”
    “Yep. You owe me so much that I’ll have you work for me to make sure I get it all back.”
    “Work for you?”
    “Yep, so wipe those tears because you’re going to be the face of my new business, ‘Siren’s Call To Arms’!”