The Cycle of East Asian Translated Novel Readers

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by LysUltima, Aug 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Starts reading translated LNs because the manga/anime is good and doesn't want to wait for a 2nd season. (SAO, NGNL, Overlord, KonoSuba)
    2. Gets more into reading LNs and tries out some popular isekais. (Slime Tensei, Mushoku Tensei, Shield Bro, Sevens)
    3. Gets hooked onto isekais and reads lots of isekais.
    4. Realizes that isekais are 99% trash with idiot beta male MCs and OPMCs with no dick and starts reading some xianxias. (ISSTH, AWE, HSSB, ATG)
    5. Gets hooked onto xianxias.
    6. Realizes that xianxias are 99% trash with psychopathic murder MCs and all antagonists are bread and butter arrogant young masters and starts reading some KR novels.
    7. There aren't very many KR novels being translated, so never realizes that 99% of KR novels are author inserts just as bad as isekai novels.
    8. Goes back to manga/anime because there aren't enough KR novels.

2. qwerty1

qwerty1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is my experience as a reader in a nutshell, although I'm still in the KR phase and don't see myself going back to manga/anime. The only place where it slightly deviates from my experience is the "hooked onto xianxia" part. To date I have only found one that I would consistently read (Reverend Insanity) though that didn't stop me from looking. I had never dropped a novel before I got onto Xianxia, and after I started reading, I began dropping them left and right. Up until now, the only xianxia I have finished is Desolate Era and I still can't understand how I got through that vapid book (This is my opinion, it took me 3 tries to finish. I just hated the middle).

Gin_Hindew likes this.
  3. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    there are alternative paths on that route
    you can fall in love with any 1D girl (either a tsundere childhood friend or a jade skin beauty)
    realize that 1D is still too much for you
    discover what a zero dimensional girl is and fall in love
    achieve ascension
    PROFIT!

Gin_Hindew likes this.
  4. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Although that does make sense to some extent but I read CN, JP, KN and other types of novels like some indonesian ones, of course I read other things too like comics, mangas, webtoons, etc... so I don't think that logic does apply to me :hmm:
    Also
    [​IMG]

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  5. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    For me this would be it, but I was aware that Chinese murderpaths were trash from talking to obnoxious people on the forum so I decided to keep with JP. Fortunately, there are actually few beta JP protagonists out there in good novels so I've just been able to continue enjoying the stories. Now I've got a bookshelf full of English published works, and I'll never be able to throw my hobby away.

6. celestiallion

celestiallion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm very selective in what I read, my reading list has shrunk a lot by process of elimination. My current favorites are RI, Lord of mystery, path toward heaven, and CCG.

Gon_ likes this.
  7. RedKaiser

RedKaiser [PATH OF HEAVEN] [RULER OF ALL]

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you stalked me? But since I discover webnovel firstly on Bakatsuki until now.. My anime time reduced drastically...

kenar and kfahad like this.
  8. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    This is pretty accurate except for the fact that before I got "hooked" on isekais or xianxias and then realised their faults on my own all the people complaining in the comments thoroughly 'enlightened' me on how 'terrible' the books we all can't stop reading are... :blobwhistle:

celestiallion likes this.
  9. Gin_Hindew

Gin_Hindew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I never ditched any genre, my path was:
    - Superhero cartoons and anime
    - superhero comics and manga
    - indie comics
    - I find a novel called Warlock Of The Magus World, its just starting but the concept looked really promising, i find the Mushoku Tensei manga and read the novel in a sitting, then Moonlight sculptor, Kumoko, overlord, i really never gave a try to the trashy isekais until much, much later
    - WMW moves to Wuxiaworld and i finally decide to read other xianxias, ISSTH was good but others were too repetitive, ATG is trash food but ok in small doses
    - European comics
    - The second wave of derivative isekais start translation, but no one surpasses the great Vending Machine
    - World Of Cultivation and WMW end and they set my standards for potential in a xianxia
    - i finally go to Royal Road, Everybody Loves Large Chests shows me the potential of litrpg
    - the third wave of derivative isekai starts, now with otome content

In superhero cartoons i mostly watch movies, i follow trashy isekais in manga because they are less trashy and in novels im always looking for interesting concepts but now i ditch the boring ones faster than ever, superhero comics are nice in small collections, some indie comics are pretty good, some are amazingly great and in general they have experiences writers trying fresh genres, the total opposite of isekai, i mostly dont watch anime because its faster to read the manga or novel but some stuff is pretty neat animated

I am always looking for something interesting so for the most part im not tired of any genre

10. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    Ulrika2.PNG
    here~

1. read LN~ too slow!
    2. WN pop up~ to many similar type!
    3. CN WN pop up~ WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!~ realize most of it trash~ BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    4. KR pop up~ YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!~ realize most of it are similar type of MC~ EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
    5. diversity on genre pop up~ HOOOOOOOOOORAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!~ realize most cats just smacking each other taste~ 19635.png

welcome to current era
    enjoy your stay
    vanilla apologize.png

11. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Funnily enough, I skipped steps 4-7, I just stayed in Japanese novels for a while (mostly isekai) and then went back to mangas because... Dunno, guess I like mangas more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.